Thanksgiving Open Thread And Recipe Swap!

catsgiving

(gsz)

Happy Thanksgiving! Let’s celebrate with a comment free-for-all and by sharing recipes.

Here’s mine: the peanut butter fudge I make for Thanksgiving every year.

1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups (1 pound) confectioners sugar

Melt butter over low to medium heat in a saucepan. Add brown sugar, milk, and peanut butter to pan. Increase heat to a boil and boil for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour hot peanut buttery mix over the confectioners sugar and beat until creamy and smooth. our into a 9″ by 13″ dish and refrigerate until firm (usually about 4 hours, overnight is best.) Cut into squares. Enjoy deliciousness.

Comments

1. ElizabethD says:

I made two kinds of cranberry sauce last year — the regular kind (use recipe on the bag of fresh cranberries) and this. Yum!

MULLED CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 –12 Oz. Bag cranberries
    1-½ cups fruity red wine (such as Merlot)
    1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup minced crystallized ginger (if you don’t have this just use ground ginger)
    1Tablespoon grated orange peel (or lemon peel)
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon ground allspice
    ¼ teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium and cook until liquid is medium-thick syrup and sauce is reduced to 2-2/3 cups, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Transfer sauce to bowl. Refrigerate until cold – about 3 hours. Can be made one week in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2. Tongsy says:

Guys, I hate to break it to you but thanksgiving was last month for the civilized world.

3. MedicallyNeedy says:

My Black Friday pic is the eMachines laptop $195
    • 2GB memory
    • 250GB hard drive
    • 15.6″ diagonal HD display
    • Intel Celeron processor, 2.2 GHz
    • Wireless enabled…
    goto walmart.com and “Local add” at the top and put in your zip.
    My walmart opens at midnight and the printable store map shows they are hiding the lap-top deal in the clothing section!
    Hopefully Walmart will be loosing money on me!

• Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

Interesting recipe. How many will the eMachine feed, by the way?

4. pgh9fan1 says:

Mustard Dill Dipping Sauce
    2 Cups Mayonnaise
    2 Cups Sour Cream
    1 Cup Brown Mustard
    1 Cup Sugar
    Dill Weed

Combine the mayo, sour cream, and mustard in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Fold in the sugar. Add the dill weed until the mixture has specks of green throughout.

Tastes great as a dipping sauce for vegetables and as a bonus it’s a great sandwich spread.

Bonus #2: You can substitute fat-free mayonnaise, fat-free sour cream, and for the sugar try using Splenda. It doesn’t taste very different at all from the original recipe.

5. ellemdee says:

I’m not very domestic, so my contribution to dinner will be:

Can of crescent rolls
    Jar of Nutella
    Powdered sugar

Spoon Nutella onto the wide end of each crescent and roll it up. Bake according to the package directions. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. You could also include peanut butter or chocolate, toffee, or peanut butter chips inside.

Not sure this qualifies as a “recipe” but is sounds pretty tasty and it’s super fast & easy to make.

6. Hoss says:

Get that vermin away from the food

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I had visions of a Three Stooges-esque skit where the cat sneaks into the cooked bird to eat it, sticks its legs through, and begins to walk around scaring everyone.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Uh, he is being fattened for the Festivus dinner.

7. tbax929 says:

I don’t cook, so I’m glad to have lots of family that does. I used to bartend, so my contribution is one of my favorite drinks – a firecracker:
    Using an ice-filled shaker, use one shot of each:
    Rum
    Chambord
    Banana Liqueur

Fill with Pineapple Juice

Shake and serve

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

8. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Our Thanksgiving favorite is Sweet Corn Bread Pudding. I cannot do this recipe justice with mere words; if you prepare any food yourself for TG, you really should try it. I’ll just link to the original recipe, since Alton deserves the credit.

9. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

So this year I made Pumpkin Cheesecake. I used this recipe: http://hubpages.com/hub/Cheesecake_Factory_Pumpkin_cheesecake_recipe

This one is straight from the recipe: http://twitpic.com/39wo98

This one, however, includes some Grade A maple syrup and a shot of Amaretto in the batter: http://twitpic.com/39wopo (the crack is from me pulling it from the humid oven too soon because it was getting late, and I left it in the oven too long and was afraid of over cooking it if I left it in the oven w/the heat turned off)

• Beeker26 says:

2-3 teaspoons of cornstarch or flour in the batter will help prevent cracks.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Thank you, but I always do that. The crack was wholly from pulling it out of the oven and not letting it cool down slowly/evenly. I even keep a 9″ pyrex dish full of water right on the tiles above the heating element in my oven.

• Bibliovore says:

As an alternative to filling it with melted white chocolate (as wonderful as that would be), you could top it with whipped cream, filling and covering the crack in the process. If you want, you can then sprinkle some pumpkin pie filling on the whipped cream.

• dangermike says:

When I do my cheesecakes, I use two pizza stones: on in the bottom of the oven and one on the shelf over the pie, and I also put a pan with an about an inch of water on the bottom stone. Then I preheat to 205 F for at least an hour. Baking takes about 90-120 minutes but the oven doesn’t open for at least 2-3 hours atferward. If I am aiming for a more traditional new york style look, I’ll hit the top with a brule torch. Otherwise, I leave it pale (perfect for my trademark oreo variant) or top it with fruit, cream, or my favorite, butterscotch sauce. It’s generally an all evening project but well worth it. When I made the oreo one once in college, it got me one of the hottest girlfriends I’ve ever had.

10. Me - now with more humidity says:

Best TG cooking tip I ever got is to roast the turkey upside down. Tres juicy!

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Or you can brine it and use your own thermometer/a turkey shield to ensure you don’t overcook it.

• bassbeast says:

Or just oil/butter the skin, put a piece of cheap cheesecloth over it, and remove the cheesecloth once finished. Voila! No burned or dry turkey boobs.

• pegasi says:

You can never go wrong using a cooking bag. Never had a problem with that and a meat thermometer. not a dry turkey, and roasted veggies too, all in one bag.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

Someone I was talking to said they are marinating the turkey overnight in raspberry beer. Sounds strangely good. And I have an Australian friend who is trying to do a beer can turkey — using a big Foster’s can… LOL

• Bohemian says:

The best way to do a turkey! All the juice runs into the breast meat. No more dry turkey.

• Beeker26 says:

I whip up a paste of olive oil and spices that I stuff between the skin and the breast.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i do that and baste it with mayonnaise and paprika. however i do that to the post thanksgiving day turkeys on sale for 29 cents a pound. don’t do much of anything on the day. too many years in the hospitality industry working on holidays got me out of the habit

• SonicPhoenix says:

Best investment we ever made for cooking turkey was getting one of those large plug-in roaster ovens. Turkey fits perfectly and because it’s covered you don’t have to worry about basting or using a cooking bag since it’s already in an enclosed area. And since the turkey isn’t in the oven, you get the whole oven for heating up the side dishes.

We put some salt, pepper and a little olive oil inside and out then stuff it with an orange, lemon, onion and some celery. Then my favorite part, cover the breast, drumsticks and wings with bacon – about one package will cover a 22 lb bird. Remove bacon 1 hour prior to the end of the baking time if you care about browning the skin.

11. Yeah Right says:
    • Hoss says:

I also prefer vegetable shortening in pie crust. I measure it and put it in the freezer for ten minutes before mixing. You can then cut or break the shortening into small globs and something magical happens

• ChuckECheese says:

lard is also excellent instead of shortening. i prefer armour brand. Usually i make half butter, cut in well, then half lard, cut into small pea chunks. Add 1 tsp vinegar to the water, and it will do two things to your crust: 1. tenderize it a bit, and 2. retards browning in the oven, so you can bake that big pie longer without burning the crust.

• ChuckECheese says:

I like that pie. I made a similar one for my dentist after he left the mormon church (and his wife left him). i included an extra bottle of bourbon, because i explained it works faster than prozac. he gave me a free cleaning and x-rays as a thank you.

12. Beeker26 says:

Pecan Pie

Probably the most simple-to-make and delicious pie that ever existed. You don’t even need a mixer.

1 cup corn syrup
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups pecans
    1 9″ deep dish pie crust, unbaked

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix well all but the pecans together in a bowl. Stir in pecans. Pour into pie crust. Bake for an hour or until center of pie is springy, not squishy.

Cool for 2 hours, refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

For some reason, I pictured that recipe being posted by another user…

• SexCpotatoes says:

Wouldn’t the people posting the recipe for that other user be their parents? Unless they told the other user how they were made, of course.

13. EllieM says:

Last year, I made this pie and it was a huge hit (made it again this year). http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sweet_potato_pie_with_pecan_topping/

14. Juliekins says:

I’m making Alton Brown’s City Ham, which is the only way ham should be prepared, ever. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html

15. Jeff says: "WTF could you have been thinking?" says:

Candied Yams

2 large cans prepared yams
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 can mandarin oranges, drained (reserve juice)
    1/2 bag miniature marshmallows
    1/2 stick of butter
    1/4 tsp. cinammon
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1 tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate

Open and drain yams in a colander for at least 2 hours.
    Preheat oven to 350 deg.
    Place yams in an oven safe glass dish and bake for 30 minutes to remove any excess moisture.
    Meanwhile, while the yams are drying in the oven, put the brown sugar, half the reserved mandarin orange juice, the frozen orange juice concentrate and the spices in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until ingredients are thoroghly mixed. Continue to bring to a boil, reducing the heat to low when it does. Simmer until it reaches thread stage. Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until melted completely. Add the butter and 1/2 the mandarin oranges. Stir to melt butter.
    Add the other half of the mandarin oranges to the yams and pour the mixture over it. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
    Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
    Serves 8

16. Spaceman Bill Leah says:

Moistest Cornbread EVER.
    1cup cornmeal
    .5 cup flour
    1 tsp. salt
    3 tbsp. sugar
    1 cup sour cream
    .5 cup corn oil
    2 egg, beaten
    small can creamed corn

Beat sour cream, oil and eggs. In separate bow combine dry ingredients. Fold into sour cream mixture. Gently fold in corn. Pour into 8″ or 9″ square baking pan. Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean.

Can be jazzed up with cheddar, jalapenos, pimentos, chili powder, bacon or pretty much anything else.

Base recipe from cooks.com

17. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Our tanksgiving was in October, but we did have this fantastic Cola-Baked Ham not too long ago…

1 large ham
    2 to 4 liters Cola
    Cloves
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. mustard powder
    1 tbsp molasses

Place ham in large pot and fill with cola until ham is mostly submerged. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours (or thereabouts)

Remove from cola, remove skin, and score fat layer in broad cross-hatch. Stick each ‘square’ with a clove. Rub in 1 tsp of brown sugar and sprinkle on 1/4 tsp of mustard powder. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. molasses (I use black-strap, but that’s preference)

Bake in 350-degree oven for 20 minutes, or until sugar and molasses form glaze.

Remove, carve, and serve. (Try not to bite down on the cloves! x_x)

18. 24NascarDude says:

Since this is the open thread, I’ve got a problem that maybe you all can help me fix.

Last week, I decided to take this site’s advice and get my credit report from annualcreditreport.com. Since I wanted to check it three times a year, I tried to order only the Equifax report. Annualcreditreport took my information and transferred me to Equifax’s site. It took my information correctly as well. Now, here’s where the problem comes into play. I got to page two for “information verification” (or something like that). None of the four security questions matched me; therefore, I answered “none of the above” for each one. Doing so gave me this message: “We’re sorry, for your protection we are unable to deliver your FACT Act Equifax Free Annual Credit Report on the internet.” It then requested that I mail a printed application, along with additional documents (for my case, the only two that would work would be scans of my Social Security Card and Driver’s License).

Now, I have a few questions based on this.

1. I have never applied for a line of credit. Will I even have a credit report (I was mainly requesting it to make sure other people’s debts weren’t mistakenly put on mine)?

2. Is this the correct mail address for Equifax: Annual Credit Report Request Service P.O. Box 105281 Atlanta, GA 30348-5281?

3. Is it normal for Equifax (or any of the other two agencies) to request document scans like those listed above?

4. How do I correct the verification information for future online request attempts? I should note that I think I know why it was wrong. There is a man less than ten years my senior who lives about an hour from me in the same state. He shares my first and last name (the middle name is different). The verification questions for former street residence and former city residence matched him. And, in case you’re wondering why I know his address, due to “actions” done by him, his address is, by law, public record.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

• calico says:

I was under the impression that if you don’t have any sort of credit history, then you won’t have a credit report. Google isn’t helping me though.

• Hoss says:

I’d suggest ordering one of the two other reports now (on the internet), reading the security questions very carefully. That will avoid risking the mailing of sensitive material. Be careful not to sign up for any services like a credit watch or credit score while on the site.

You really should obtain some line of credit, no matter how small. This will enhance your credit score quicker. Keep your first credit card open for as long as they let you. Older credit lines mean a lot.

• 24NascarDude says:

Unfortunately,
        1. I’m under 21
        2. I do not have a steady income stream (full-time student), and
        3. My parents will not co-sign for a credit card.

So, thanks to the one provision in the CARD act I don’t like, credit cards are out of the equation for about another year or so.

Also, I’m on full scholarship, so no student loans either.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i did not have a credit history so when i first checked my credit report, i received a page full of places where credit might be and a history of zeroes and nones
          revolving credit: 0
          loans: 0

etc.
          so whether you have credit or not, you should have a document available.
          i built credit by taking out a secured loan with my credit union. talk to a loan officer at your bank or credit union and explain what you want to do. you deposit x dollars into an account as collatoral. then they lock the account so you can’t take the money out. then you borrow that same amount back and pay it off regularly. it costs you the interest but it’s worth it to build a solid credit history. in a few months you will have a credit report that says ‘pays as agreed’
          i suggest not using your main savings account for this if possible, i did that and they were supposed to only freeze the amount of the loan and it got messed up so that every time i deposited money in there it got frozen too and i didn’t find out for a few months. when i went to transfer some of my savings to checking to pay a big expense, it took a month of waiting and phone calls to get it fixed.

• 24NascarDude says:

Thanks for the tip. I may check into getting a type of low-dollar secured loan for a couple of months.

Also, as I mentioned in question 4, does anyone know how to get the verification information corrected (especially since I KNOW why it’s wrong).

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

my last credit report from equifax includes this:

• You have the right to dispute incomplete or inaccurate information. If you identify information in your file that is incomplete or inaccurate, and report it to the consumer reporting agency, the agency must investigate unless your dispute is frivolous. See http://www.ftc.gov/credit for an explanation of dispute procedures.
              • Consumer reporting agencies must correct or delete inaccurate, incomplete, or unverifiable information. Inaccurate, incomplete or unverifiable information must be removed or corrected, usually within 30 days. However, a consumer reporting agency may continue to report information it has verified as accurate.

• CaptainSemantics says:

I know Equifax is based in Atlanta (they have a huge building near my former workplace) so the Atlanta P.O. Box makes sense.

19. SexCpotatoes says:

I used this recipe that came in the recipe book with my Crock Pot: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/24/LasagnaWithWhiteSauce62614.shtml Lasagna with White Sauce

I took that to a 4th of July gathering (bunch of people from work & their families) a couple years back and the one guy mentioned that all of his Mom’s friends were still saying how good it was months later!

• SexCpotatoes says:

I forgot to mention… My crock pot is large enough that I DOUBLE all the ingredients and it *just* fits!

20. notanignoramus says:

Pre-heat oven
    Place turkey in oven
    Forget about the turkey for several hours
    Call Fire Department

Voila! Blackened turkey!

22. JulesNoctambule says:

Three cheers for a fudge recipe that doesn’t involve marshmallows or Karo!

I can’t even think of a recipe right now; my eight hours of sleep last night arrived in multiple segments as opposed to in a block of time. Wish me luck in managing to cook today!

23. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I tried to make “authentic” Australian sausage rolls last night… we’ll see how they taste today.
    They were very greasy and made the entire apartment smoky. I used a combination of 2 recipes: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6687/sausage+rolls and http://www.food.com/recipe/sausage-rolls-95246
    Happy Thanksgiving!

24. momtimestwo says:

We were supposed to go out of town today for Thanksgiving, but at 3am my 6 year old woke up, said “mama” and then puked all over the bed. Twice. Needless to say we are staying home. Luckily the grocery stores in the area are open so I could get all the items needed. Our first thanksgiving at home together, even though we have been married 11 years.

• ChuckECheese says:

That’s nothing that some turkey stuffing mashed potatoes gravy candied yams green bean casserole corn pumpkin pie cool whip won’t fix!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Ah, chunky bedsheets. I remember from the stepdaughter. Liked to do the bed puke and then not tell us!

• Bohemian says:

We had a similar fate one year. One of our kids developed an ear infection that came with non stop screaming that started at 11pm the night before Thanksgiving. I was so glad acute care was open in the morning. So we stopped at Hyvee on the way home and grabbed ready made turkey and sides out of the deli. We called our relatives to let them know right away that morning that we had a screaming sick baby and would not be there. They got mad. Did they really want us to bring a sick screaming baby to Thanksgiving?

25. ellemdee says:

I made a similar dish last week, except with potatoes. My dog gives two paws up to my homemade blackened potatoes recipe.

26. Geekmom says:

Broccoli Casserole

Mac & Cheese (add a dash of thyme they left it out for some reason. Bahamian mac & cheese always has thyme)

27. kalaratri says:

I got my ‘fresh, never frozen’ turkey from Wegmans. Guess what turkey isn’t fully defrosted even though I bought it 4 days a go and kept it in the fridge?

• whiskykitten says:

You know, not many people can match my Wegmans love. I truly adore that chain to bits… but last year I got our turkey there and it was the WORST I have ever tasted. Dry, compressed looking meat all through and it tasted like it had been in someone’s freezer for a year. The year before I got exactly the same kind and it was wonderful. This year I went w/ Whole Foods. Best of luck to you!

• kalaratri says:

After a hot bath, literally, it defrosted that last bit in time to get it cooked by dinner. Wasn’t too impressed with it, but I don’t like turkey anyhow.

• Laura Northrup says:

I blame Alec Baldwin.

28. Kishi says:

It’s cranberries, so it’s Thanksgiving-ish, right?

Cranberry Salsa

1 package of cranberries, rinsed and sorted
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    2 tablespoons chopped jalepenos
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger root

Put all in a blender and pulse until finely chopped

Add 1/2 cup sugar, refrigerate 4 hours

Serve over cream cheese, with club crackers

29. dangermike says:

I’m trying to make a pecan pie (no relation to fellow commenter).

It’s mostly guesswork. I melted half a sick of butter, stirred in some flower (maybe 2 or 3 tbsp), beat in 2 eggs, about 1/4c brown sugar, and maybe 1/3c cream, and added salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste. Then I mixed in a 3-4 cups of pecan halves, a couple table spoons of heath bits, and maybe 1/4 or 2/3 of a cup of small marshmallows. I have a box of phillo dough that’s going to need to be used soon, so that’ll be the crust, which is going in a buttered Marie Callendar’s tin, and I’ll bake it all at 350 for somewhere between an hour or two. I’m not really sure. I’s basically entirely experimental. I didn’t even look up what normally goes into a pecan pie. Just kind of guessed based on cheesecakes and other custards I’ve made before. I really wanted to make a pumpkin pie from a whole pumpkin but I wasn’t feeling industrious enough yesterday or this morning to actually go find and cook one. So my pie plans go shifted to fit around what I found in the parents’ kitchen.

• Beeker26 says:

Certainly not a traditional recipe, sounds more like a nutty custard than a pecan pie. But it should be interesting nonetheless.

• dangermike says:

Looking at more “traditional” recipes, they look like modern facsimiles of custard, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the more common corn syrup preparation evolved from ease of use and perhaps food shortage akin to shortening replacing butter or lard in pie crusts. Overall, it came out pretty good. I think maybe I should have let it cook a little longer (I gave it about an hour and much longer would have burnt the edges of the phillo crust). The nuts in the center weren’t quite as soft as I would have wanted. And I should have left some of the pecans uncoated in the custard to top the filling to for improved asthetics. Overall, I would call it a successful experiment. With a little more refinement, it could be a signature recipe.

30. moonunitrappa says:

It’s probably too late for this on your turkey day, but I like a little green with all that starch on TDay. This is a great little salad to add color to the menu.

I’m making a very simple fall salad.

Cranberry Apple Walnut Salad

Romaine Lettuce
    Dried Cranberries
    Granny Smith Apples (sliced)
    Walnuts (chopped)
    Blue Cheese (optional)
    Serve with your favorite fruity vinaigrette – I’m using Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette

31. areaman says:

Not a recipe but I like using cranberry sauce on turkey sandwiches.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

32. HogwartsProfessor says:

I don’t cook for a family since the universe decided I don’t get one *eye roll*, but when I have a holiday for myself I like to do this:

Ham Steak with Apricot Sauce

1 ham steak
    1/4 cup apricot jam (or duck sauce in a jar)

Put ham steak in a frying pan that has a lid over medium heat. Mix the apricot jam or duck sauce with a little hot water so it’s sauce-ish but still kind of thick. Pour over the ham steak and put the lid on the pan. Heat through.

Doesn’t take long and makes the ham steak very moist and delicious.

When I go someplace I like to take this cheese dip thingy, a recipe I stole from the wife of a friend of my ex’s:

Mary’s Cheese Ball

2 pkg. cream cheese, softened
    2 pkg. Carl Buddig sliced beef
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce

Slice beef into lengthwise slices, and horizontally into tiny pieces. Rub a tiny bit of corn oil or Crisco on your hands to prevent sticking, then hand-mix beef bits together with cheese, diced onion, and Worchestershire sauce. Mold into a ball and let sit in the fridge overnight for the flavors to blend. Serve with Ritz crackers.

I like to mold the ball into a shape. For a Thanksgiving potluck, I did a turkey, and for a Halloween party once, I made a skull!

33. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Looks like someone is cooking an orange cat (with lots of trimming) for Thanksgiving.

34. Me - now with more humidity says:

I searched high and low for a cornbread stuffing recipe this year, and perused those of several friends. I finally decided to wing it using that knowledge base, and came out with a quick and tasty dressing.

Bake an 8×13 pan of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix (doubled — use two boxes). When cool, crumble it on a cookie sheet and leave it out overnight to “stale up” and dry out some. (If you have a cat, leave the pan in the oven with the heat off overnight.) When you’re ready to start the 10-minute prep, put the cornbread crumble in a large bowl.

Chop one yellow onion, 6-8 celery stalks and a handful of baby carrots.

Brown a 1 pound chub pack of pork sausage with sage. Dump that in the bowl with the cornbread.

Add chicken broth to any leftover grease from the sausage, saute the vegetables until tender.

Pour the veggies and broth into the bowl with the cornbread and sausage. Mix it together with a spatula. Add broth as needed until you get a mix that has a consistency that you could press together into a ball. Spread it into a baking dish.

Bake for 30 mins at 325. That’s it.

You could also add mushrooms, bourbon or just about anything. It’s great as is, or as a starting point.

35. jjmcubed says:

Open Salisbury steak box(would do turkey, but that is the only dinner I have). Microwave on medium 6 minutes. Mix vegetables, while leaving the plastic on the meat. Heat again for 3 minutes on high. Let cool for five minutes(unless you like lava). Happy Holidays!!!!!

36. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

OK, I have been cooking for 3 nights and from 8am to dinner on the table at 5:30 today. Dinner for 20 and I do not allow anyone else to bring anything. Here is one of the few recipes I give out because I follow it without any changes. Most recipes I change on the fly to suit mood and/or ingredients on hand. I even made 200 to serve at my own wedding.

The most decadent chocolate truffles in the world. I have seen grown men cry after eating these.

For the wimps out there, you can find pasteurized eggs that are perfectly safe to eat raw.

This recipe makes about 10-12 slightly smaller than a golf ball, but I usually double it.

Ingredients:
    8 oz Good quality semi sweet chocolate
    1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) butter
    2 egg yolks (pasteurized if you are concerned about raw eggs)
    2 Tablespoons Confectioners sugar
    1/4 cup Whipping (heavy) cream you can substitute half of this with a good Liquor (I use Triple Sec frequently)

Melt 6 oz of the chocolate and the butter in a double boiler and blend well.
    In a separate bowl, stir together the yolks, sugar and cream until well mixed.

Blend in the melted chocolate and butter into the yolk mixture.

Chill until firm enough to handle, but not hard, a couple of hours in the fridge will do it.

Finely grate the remaining 2 oz chocolate onto a flat surface.

Scoop out the mixture (I use a heaping teaspoon) and roll into a ball, then roll in the grated chocolate to coat it.

They keep well in the fridge or the freezer, BUT YOU MUST LET THEM COME UP TO ROOM TEMP (OR SLIGHTLY BELOW) TO SERVE THEM.

I have seen people eat 2, but they are so rich and decadent even hard core chocoholics think long and hard about going for the third. And most of the time they don’t.

37. Straspey says:

And finally….

A very interesting and informative article about the history and evolution of Thanksgiving as it morphed from its origins into the holiday we celebrate today.

Particularly from a real “consumerist” standpoint:

“Carving up Thanksgiving myths: Pilgrims and turkeys are more symbol than history”

38. Burrakkurozu says:

I made a couple of yummy and simple things today. So I am going to submit them both.

1. Restaurant Style Biscuits w/Chedder Cheese

2 cups Bisquick
    –(make your own Bisquick: 4 cups sifted white flour, 1.5 tbls baking powder, 1/2 tbls salt, 1/8 cup sugar, 3/4 apx powdered milk)–
    2/3 cups milk
    1/2 cup finely shredded chedder cheese
    1/4 tsp each: Garlic Powder, Parsley, Oregano, and Basil
    1 tbls olive oil
    1/4 cup butter

Major Utensils
    Baking/cookie sheet
    Parchment Paper (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 Degrees fahrenheit.
    Combine everything except the butter in a bowl, mix well till you get a nice sticky dough. (beat/stir 30 seconds)

Get out a baking sheet, cover with parchment paper (opt) or grease lightly. Set aside.

Set aside a small bowl with a little flour in it as well.

Grease hands with oil, pat coat palms and fingers with flour, and then pull out a golf sized ball of dough. Roll in hands till a decently solid ball and place on baking sheet. Repeat process till the dough is all gone, spacing them about 1/2″ to 1″ apart.

Stick into oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or when the tops turn a light brown.

2. Simple Apple Crisp

1 cup sugar (split into halves)
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    6 sliced apples (braeburns works good for this)
    3/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    6 tbls room temp. butter

Major Utensils
    Baking Dish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.

Combine 1/2 cup of sugar, lemon juice, water, and cinnamon in the baking dish. Spread sliced apples.

Combine the other 1/2 cup of sugar, flour, salt, and butter until its crumbly.
    (I use my hands to mix, more effective)
    Spread flour mix on top of apples and pat down as best you can or want to.

Bake for about 50 minutes until apples are tender and/or crust is browned. Great with French Vanilla Ice cream.

Hope everyone had a really good thanksgiving!

39. PsiCop says:

Here’s a recipe for carrot salad. (No, not the kind with shredded carrot and raisins.) I don’t have exact amounts for this because the relative who came up with this won’t provide any, she just says to use whatever amounts you prefer.

THANKSGIVING CARROT SALAD

Carrots
    Rice vinegar (you could use other kind of vinegar, but rice vinegar has just the right mild taste)
    Vegetable oil (olive oil, or another kind, if you like)
    Salt, pepper, sugar (very little)
    Thinly sliced onion

Boil carrots until they’re just barely softened (in other words, don’t cook them too much). Allow to cool, then cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Add sliced onions, then set aside. Mix rice vinegar and oil well, throw in salt, pepper, and just a little sugar. Add to the carrot and onion; toss well. Put in refrigerator.

This recipe is best served cool, but not too cold. Take it out of the fridge between 30 min and 1 hour prior to eating. That will give you just the right temperature.

The above is the way this recipe was originally made, and it’s great, just the way it is. But you can add a seasoning to it if you want. I’ve found that simpler is better. In other words, add only one extra seasoning. Dill weed or mint are suggestions, but you might try something else.

40. coold8 says:

I got all my black friday shopping done. Thank God for Amazon. Now I can sleep late.

41. kalmanizer says:

What’s on kalmanizer’s Thanksgiving Menu:

Martha’s Thanksgiving recipes: Turkey, gravy and sides

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel

42. humphrmi says:

I always love driving by the nearby Best Buy on my way home from Thanksgiving Dinner at my in-laws, to see the tents set up in a nice line. This time we made a family event out of it; my teen-age son loves seeing losers. Most of those people are hovering by their camping heaters, waiting to get a deal on last year’s HDTV or netbook model, or to get a deal on a front-loading washer and dryer that might last them nine months. Then I get home, crack a couple of beers, laugh, and go to bed.

I love this season!

• CBenji says:

I can’t even imagine doing that in my right mind ever. The deal would have to be so good they would have to pay me to shop there, plus I hate crowds so it would be especially nuts for me. I think those people are touched.

43. bishophicks says:

I bought a whole turkey, but we were only using breasts and thighs, so I had 2 legs from this year plus two legs from last year still vacuum packed and in the freezer (thank you, Foodsaver).

Smoked Turkey Legs

for the brine:

1 gallon water
    1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    4 garlic cloves, crushed (just smoosh them with the heel of your hand)
    10-20 peppercorns
    2 bay leaves

for the rub:
    2T brown sugar
    1t pepper
    1t poultry seasoning
    whatever else you have on hand that tastes good: garlic powder, dried herbs, just don’t add salt

4 turkey legs

Heat about 1 qt of the water with the salt and sugar until dissolved. Add remaining water and brine ingredients. Add turkey legs and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. While the meat is brining, soak about 2 cups hickory chips in water.

Remove turkey legs from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Apply the rub. Prepare the grill. Ignite a chimney with about 60 briquettes. When they’re ready, dump them on one side of the grill. Put all the hickory chips on the coals. Place the turkey on the side of the grill away from the heat with the fat ends pointing at the file. Cover the grill and let the legs smoke for two hours or so. Remove from the grill and place in a roasting pan. Cover the roasting pan with foil and bake in a 300 degree oven for 2 more hours.

Remove from the oven and try to resist eating yourself sick.

44. Serenefengshui says:

The fudge is in the fridge.