Sorry, Best Buy Store Changed Their Minds, No Kinect For You At Midnight

Mike pre-ordered the Kinect, a new sensor thingy for the Xbox, from his local Best Buy. He expected the store to be open at midnight so he could be united with his new toy just after the official release. The store web site said that they’d be open at midnight, so why should he expect anything different?

He certainly didn’t expect to receive a wide variety of answers when he asked why the store wouldn’t be open at midnight.

I pre-ordered Kinect for the Midnight Release at the [redacted], MN location. I like Best Buy and I shop there regularly. (For the Gamer Club Reward Points and other offers) Today the night of the release they still show the Midnight Release, I call the store they say they are not and are very rude.

Call Customer Service they confirm they are having the midnight release and I ask them to call the store. 10 Minutes later they call back saying now the store is not having it anymore. 30Minutes Later it’s off the web site. I can’t transfer to another store so my only option is time 3 times further away, hope they have stock (although it seems like they will) pay for it and then go back to get my pre-order money back.

I am getting mixed reactions of “you’re wrong we never were doing it” to “they changed their minds today” to “I am very sorry but you are kinda out of luck”. This is very annoying and I almost always have great experience at Best Buy.

We didn’t hear back from Mike yet–maybe he got his hands on a Kinect after all and has been feverishly dancing at his TV all night. Still, the confusion at Best Buy is decidedly not cool, especially for one of the few customers left who still likes them.

Comments

1. p. observer says:

i make my own kinect at home and blame the op for shopping at bestbuy. nah but seriously that sucks

2. aloria says:

“. This is very annoying and I almost always have great experience at Best Buy.”

what is this I don’t even

3. ToddMU03 says:

Whining about not getting a midnight release? Dork.

• xscarfaceloux says:

Seriously… this story seems petty… would it REALLY have been too much to wait for the next day??

• jason in boston says:

Who are you to judge someone on what they like?

• pahncrd says:

Have you never been excited for a new game or console? Midnight releases are a lot of fun.

• ShadowFalls says:

No I have not. Some people don’t lack the maturity to be able to wait the next day. I’d do it just to not have to deal with crazy people who want to get a game, go home and find out the servers are bogged down by too many people.

• t-spoon says:

It’s not a matter of whether you think it’s mature or not, it’s what the website said.

And midnight launches can be fun as hell.

• LadyTL says:

It’s not about maturity. I like going to midnight releases because it’s fun to talk in real life with people who are just as interested in the game as I am. If I wait until morning there might not be any people to talk to and I could be holding up people in the store.

• drizzt380 says:

Apparently, mature means never having fun or getting excited about anything ever.

I’ll happily remain a man-child then.

But really, I don’t see whats immature about having a desire to go to a midnight release(maybe he’s having a kinect party). Or being unhappy when you’ve made plans to do something and then a store changes their mind on you after they have your money.

• bigTrue says:

I think “adult” and “mature” simply mean different kinds of fun. When I was in highschool, I spent my Friday nights playing DnD and original Xbox. In my early 20′s, I was a raver and went to Sci Fi cons. Around 25 I went to Burning Man for the first time. In my early 30′s I’m now doing more organizational stuff for the local BM community and have a career. As you get older, your fun should grow exponentially, and for some of us, waiting up till midnight on a Tuesday for a video game isn’t that exciting. Plus, since I work at 8am every weekday, staying up till midnight AND having pants on really isn’t in the cards until Friday or Sat.

Not that video games aren’t awesome! I’m currently watching my girlfriend playing through Fable 3 (I had higher hopes, but it’s ok) and I’m about 30 hours into New Vegas (oh sweet jesus why can’t every game be as good as Fallout??) :)

• drizzt380 says:

It is impossible for you to have played the xbox in your teens and be thirty. Just thought I should mention that.

But, lets say I am 34, an adult, I have a job to go to at 9:00AM, and I still want to stay up till midnight for a game release, does that make me less mature? Does it make me less of an adult? I don’t believe it does. It just means I find things exciting that other people do not.

I’m not even sure I know what ‘adult’ fun is. Fun is fun. Either you find something fun, or you don’t. If I’m an old man who enjoys playing Candyland and watching cartoons, then thats what I’m going to do and the world be damned!!!!

But my comment was really me being facetious in response to shadowfalls.

• minjche says:

Good catch on the Xbox timing. I’m enjoying a bit of Schadenfreude as a result.

For the record, the original Xbox was released in 2001 (in North America).

• JohnnyP says:

For me I have to be at work at 8:30. If I stay up till mid night to get a game Im going to play it that night. In the end I wont get much done the next day with only 3 hours sleep. But thats just my point of view. Not that its not fun it just doesnt work well for me.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

For all we know, the OP works just as hard as you two, has to get up every day just as early, but planned a vacation day around this event. If I’d taken a day off (and lots of people do for midnight releases of things they love), and I was cheated out of 9 hours of my planned fun-time, I’d be annoyed.

I would not be so annoyed as to call the store and Customer Service what appears to be a dozen times, or write in to Consumerist, but I would be annoyed. That doesn’t preclude me being a productive member of society.

• SixOfOne says:

Just watching? Play with her! It’s fun!

• Difdi says:

“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

— C.S. Lewis

• MMD says:

Is it too much to ask a store to do what they say they’re going to do on their website?

• jivesukka says:

The company said it was going to do something then changed its mind last minute, that is a big deal to the OP and I agree it is. Had the OP known that this would happen or Best Buy said from the beginning that there would be no midnight release, the OP might have gone somewhere else to purchase it.

• DanRydell says:

If this was a midnight release of something awesome like Call of Duty… fine. But it’s Kinect!

• BaronYiffington says:

Doesn’t matter what it is. An advertised event is an advertised event. If they don’t want to have a midnight release, they shouldn’t say they are having one.

• Griking says:

I’m sure that their opening at midnight is tied into how many pre-sales of the product they have and how many more they plan on selling.

• brianw76 says:

Whining about a whining dork on the Inet: Bigger dork.

• Griking says:

Yeah, kind of this.

No offense but it’s not like you’re going to have any kind of in game advantage over anyone else by getting this thing at exactly midnight. Pick it up the next morning, it’s only a game accessory for crying out loud.

4. obits3 says:

“I like Best Buy…”

And that is where you went wrong…

5. Macgyver says:

I never understand why people wants something as soon as it comes out. They can’t wait for normal store hours.

• rugman11 says:

Seriously, it’s 8 hours. It’s not the end of the world. It would have been nice to know they weren’t having a midnight release when he pre-ordered, but they probably canceled the midnight release because they didn’t get enough pre-orders. It sucks, but it certainly wouldn’t make me drive more than 15 minutes to get a new one. And I certainly wouldn’t complain about it. They promised him a pre-order and he’ll be able to pick it up during regular store hours. No problem.

• cash_da_pibble says:

because it’s fun!
      Because it’s an adventure!
      Because it’s Minnesota!
      because sometimes getting caught up in Hype is fun.

• Pax says:

Because sometimes, after anticipating soemthing for months and months, you just really, really, REALLY don’t want to wait even five seconds more than you absolutely have to.

And, in moderation, there’s nothing wrong with that (by “in moderation”, I mean, “applied to the occasional product or service, not EVERYthing in your life”).

I mean … people line up around city blocks, days ahead of time, for sporting tickets, concert tickets, even some theater tickets. And, yes, for consoles, video games, and accessories for the same.

• aloria says:

Maybe he had something to do in the morning and wanted to get it before they ran out? What does it matter?

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I don’t usually do this either, but for the very last Harry Potter book, I had to. I had to do it at least once, to stand in line with all the other Potternerds and talk and talk and talk about Harry Potter, and watch the bookstore employees run around dressed as characters, and show off my awesome Hogwarts crest tat, and just have a good time. Then I went home, went to bed and the next day after my skating lesson, I locked my door and read for seven hours and forty-five minutes straight until I finished the book.

Best! Saturday! Ever!

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

HAHAHAAAA! I do the same thing… I can’t go to the releases and such dressed up (Although I probably would if I could! Darn kids…) But the best day is when I get my grubby lil hands on that book and sit for 5 hours straight to read it, cover to cover.

Those days, my kids starve, diapers unchanged, and my house gets destroyed. It’s awesomeness at its peak.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I agree. Some people do midnight game releases, some people do Harry Potter lines. We sometimes do midnight showings of some movies. We did a midnight showing (Thursday at 12 am) of Star Trek and that was just something we had to do because I love Star Trek. People were so into it, and it was an amazing experience because the crowd was 98% fans and 2% people the fans took with them, and you could just feel in the air that people were excited because every fan literally waited years for this to happen.

• MikeM_inMD says:

I don’t get it either, but an advertised event is supposed to happen as advertised, barring unforeseen complications – and “the store doesn’t want to” doesn’t count.

• humbajoe says:

Some people have jobs that allow them to afford things right when they come out. Why do you care?

6. lymer says:

He has to wait till the next morning?

Why i never….

7. Geekybiker says:

Annoying, but not worth worrying over as long as they still have it for you tomorrow.

8. CaughtLooking says:

And the guy wonders why he doesn’t have a girlfriend.

• Pax says:

What, because being an avid video gamer means you can’t have a girlfriend?

What makes video-game enthusiasts, even the extrme kind, less likely to have girlfriends than, say … extreme sports fans? Extreme fans of X or Y music group / band? You know – the people who will camp out, in lines coiling around entire city blocks, for multiple days, hoping to buy a ticket for their event of choice?

Video games are mainstream. They have been, for at least 10 years.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

And many girls game these days too, and like to game with their significant others.

• Pax says:

Indeed. My lovely partner and I have been together (albeit, not married) for nearly as long as my parents were.

We have a Duo in Worldof Warcraft, and are looking to rope a good mutual friend into forming a Trio, once Cataclysm goes live. (Gotta get my Worgen on!)

• LadyTL says:

I know at least a dozen avid gamers who are married much less the ones who are dating. I am a avid gamer and have been married for years. Liking games of any kind does not keep one from getting a girlfriend or wife, it’s the attitudes of people like you who keep people from getting a partner because you can’t look past outdated and tired stereotypes.

• SixOfOne says:

I wish there was a heart button, because I’d hit it really hard for you saying this. My husband is an avid gamer, and so is his brother. Both in steady relationships.

9. Mom says:

I can’t imagine anyone in Minnesota being rude….I also can’t imagine them being up after midnight.

10. RavenWarrior says:

I wonder how he coped with having to wait to play such A-list titles as Kinect Adventures and Sonic Free Riders…

• mobiuschic42 says:

Um, have you heard of Dance Central? It’s an AWESOME game that just happens to be on the Kinect

• squirrel says:

I have to agree. DC way exceeded my jaded expectations… I was expecting a minor improvement over DDR, and was I ever wrong.

It’s more like “Bust a Groove”, but the body is the controller.

11. gman863 says:

This guy needs to get a life. Although Best Buy’s web site had an initial error on the Midnight release, I give them a +1 for calling and apologizing to the customer within 10 minutes and an additional +1 for correcting the web page within half an hour.

I used to work at Fry’s. During the time I was there, they did two Midnight release openings: Once for a video game and a second for Windows 7. Both were complete bombs; my guess is that – after accounting for the lights, air conditioning and wages for 15 employees (sales, cashiers, managers and security) – Fry’s lost a few thousand bucks per store on each Midnight opening.

Unless everyone wants to pay higher prices to subsidize this true Midnight madness, it’s time to drop the issue.

12. humphrmi says:

Circumstances have changed, Jerry. Thing have changed, circumstances, Jerry, beyond the… uh, acts of god.

Sounds like a few people in Brainerd aren’t so okay, I’ll tell you that.

13. pokinsmot says:

I blame the OP for shopping at BestBuy.

14. Shadowfire says:

Just going to throw out that the comments so far are almost entirely rude. You people are better than that.

Some of us have fun at midnight openings. I can understand his disappointment that the opening didn’t happen (I’ll be going next week to the Black Ops midnight open at Gamestop), and it’s not like this is just young males going to video game events. It’s also middle aged women getting the newest Harry Potter book at B&N at midnight, or people watching the latest Twilight/Lord of the Rings movie at midnight.

Seriously, you people are pricks and you should be ashamed.

• I just blue myself says:

Agreed!

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

+1 on the Twilight stuff. That is a perfect parallel for a game launch. Imagine the reaction from a crowd of tweens/teens/twenties/thirties/etc if a theater decided at the last minute not to show the latest twilight movie that they had been advertising for that midnight opener.

• Amnesiac85 says:

The main difference here is that movie tickets are bought for specific times. If they canceled a midnight showing of a movie, thousands of people would have to be issued refunds.

This is not the case. He’s still getting his Kinect, just a few hours later.

• BuddhaLite says:

Having dropped into a 24h Walmart for the release of WotLK I can tell you it’s just a bunch of guys(some with women) standing in line waiting to buy the game and get home. Fun happens at home. Not in line.

• Shadowfire says:

Then you haven’t gone to a good midnight release. I used to run them with Gamestop (worked for them for over 11 years), and when you provide food, run games, and get your customers in a good mood, they’ll appreciate the effort and probably make some friends out of the deal. There was a lot of Gamertag exchanging going on during the Halo 2 launch, and at least a few server transfers because of the Burning Crusade launch.
        And my wife would take issue with your comment about the Wrath of the Lich King launch… we’ll be at the launch for Cataclysm, but more for her than for me. :P

• MSUHitman says:

I hope you’re in the pacific time zone, because Cataclysm won’t go live until 12:01 a.m. Pacific.

• drizzt380 says:

It is complete shenanigans in here.

• mobiuschic42 says:

Hey, I’m not a young male, but I hate Twilight and I played my new kinect last night and my young male boyfriend did not. So…it’s not even just young males who want video games, dude.

15. Levk says:

So what if no midnight release just wait till morning if you preorder it it be there either way.

16. mopman64 says:

Deal with it and get a life. Sorry but I mean come on. It’s a toy.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

Let’s say you had a really bad toothache. Not life threatening, but really painful. You called up the urgent care center and they said “Yeah, we have walk-ins tonight”, but when you call right before leaving to confirm they say “You know what, we’re actually closing right now, see you tomorrow”. You’d probably be pretty upset.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a pretty minor issue. He’s going to get his Kinect, just a bit later. It’s what most of us expect from Best Buy. However, this is still a legitimate consumer issue, unlike how Home Depot won’t let you give them a random string of numbers to use as a gift card.

17. MMD says:

Even more of you are missing the point than usual. Midnight availability was advertised, then taken away. If y’all could stop passing judgment on the OP’s choice of store, product and pickup time for 5 seconds, you might be able to see the customer service and communication problems in this story.

18. minjche says:

That’s unfortunate. Maybe he could try going to the store and speaking with a manager. He’ll either walk away empty handed (the most likely outcome) or the manager may comp him a small gift card or something.

I’m not a “midnight release” type of person myself, but to each his own.

19. BaronYiffington says:

Everyone in the comments seems to be missing the point.

It doesn’t matter if it was a game, a toy, or any other product. A midnight release was offered, and OP bought it from that store specifically because of the midnight release.

The store then, for no apparent reason, to simply revoke the midnight release that was promised.

The product in question doesn’t matter. OP bought from Best Buy because of their midnight release, and then didn’t get it.

• Macgyver says:

Was it a guarantee that they were gonna be opened at midnight?
      It’s not like they not going to let him have one, he already preordered a copy, so he can go in during normal hours and pick up his copy.

• billybob9280 says:

But… but… he really really wants it at midnight!

• BaronYiffington says:

Doesn’t matter. OP specifically bought from Best Buy because of the midnight release, only to be told they changed their mind. That’s false advertising.

• Peggee is deeply offended by impetulant, pernicious little snots disrespecting her and violating her personal space at Best Buy. says:

No, just like prices in ads/online aren’t guaranteed just because they’re there in print. So next time you buy something from a website that says 99.99 and your card gets charged 399.99, suck it up.

• BaronYiffington says:

Doesn’t matter if it’s guaranteed. Doesn’t matter if it’s a game or a book or anything. Best Buy advertised it, Best Buy canceled it. Best Buy is at fault. Sorry!

20. wellfleet says:

I’m very surprised this happened in Minnesota, that’s where the Mothership is. I live next to Walmart HQ and the stores here are immaculate.

21. EverCynicalTHX says:

Couldn’t ge~ t his Kinect at midnight and might have to wait till the next morning….poor baby..baby want bottle > Cute baby…es a cute baby….

22. billybob9280 says:

Forget the Kinect, what the boy needs is a helmet.

23. H3ion says:

Maybe they thought the OP was African-American.

6 Is the Microsoft Kinect Racist?

Microsoft unveiled its new motion-recognition gaming system, the Kinect, on Thursday, but it appears it may have a PR issue on its hands: The system may have trouble recognizing dark-skinned users, according to GameSpot. The gaming website tested the system, and the system’s facial-recognition feature had trouble with two dark-skinned employees, inconsistently recognizing one and repeatedly failing to recognize the other. A third dark-skinned employee and all lighter-skinned employees had no problems. There’s a precedent for such glitches: HP famously had a “racist” camera that could not recognize black users.
    Read it at GameSpot

24. shufflemoomin says:

Redacted? Why hide the location of the place? Isn’t sort of helpful to people to know which store did this, otherwise, what’s the actual point of posting it?

25. dush says:

Here’s an idea, don’t buy a kinect

26. shinseiromeo says:

I would have to play devil’s advocate and side with Best Buy, as I’m familiar with their midnight releases. At my local BB, the midnight releases have five customers MAX. It is up to the individual GM (general manager) of each store to decide if his/her store does a midnight release. The store in the article may have initially planned to do a midnight release but after receiving slim to none reserves, they decided it didn’t make a good business decision to re-open after hours for 1-2 customers.

• BurtReynolds says:

Then practice some customer service and call those 5 people who pre-ordered and inform them the midnight release is cancelled. They probably have his phone number from Reward Zone or the pre-order itself.

27. Samtron says:

Hi OP here:

This is a follow up to the story you posted:

-First off I took time off of work (I do work 3rd) shift planned around the release at midnight.
    -I am married, very happily.
    -I wanted a Kinect, but the product choice should not matter like some comments posted.
    -I enjoy midnight releases, I meet many new people each time and have fun. Also like for the Halo Reach event lots of giveaways and high energy.
    -I did go to the store explained my experience to a higher up manager and for the first time, they said We messed up, we did advertise it, we are sorry. Not to met ion Best Buys forums have people who went to this same store at midnight because they did not see it removed 11 hours before midnight like I did. He was very polite and offered without be asking a $50 credit. This was more then generous and I accepted.

28. sopmodm14 says:

i think this is a case of corporate promising something individual stores can’t handle, and i’m sure the staff is as irritated as you are

i don’t get how some games have midnight releases …. are gamers supposed to play through the night ? dont they have school,work, life the very next day ?

29. Blow a fuse? I can fix that... says:

Why all the hating on the guy? I believe each and every one of the negative people would be disappointed, even pissed off, if a company promised and didn’t deliver on something that was important to them.

I wouldn’t go to a midnight release of a game (despite being an avid gamer), nor do I line up for tickets to the latest movie, sports event or concert either. Or camp out for the latest electronic toy, big sale or whatever.

Does this in some way make me more “adult” or “mature”? Probably not. More boring? Probably.

30. Destron says:

Well, for one, Kinect units are in full stock everywhere I went today so it’s not like you are going to have a problem getting one.

But mainly, If you drive to the next nearest BB and pick one up anyway then you are not helping the cause. BB does not care they got your money anyway. What you should have done is went to the next nearest retailer close to you (hell even Walmart since it is open all night) and buy one, THEN cancel your reservation at BB. Vote with your wallet.

The whole reason behind reservations is not to make it easier for you to get the game, its so that retailers can pre sell games based on hype. They get you with a pre order, they pretty much have a guaranteed sale, and they can make that sale months before the game (or hardware) gets released. I rarely ever pre order anymore, but about a year or so ago I did one at the local GameStop. They sold 180 preorders on the game and got 8 in on launch day. I was 97 on the list. I promptly canceled my preorder and walked across the street to Target and bought the game.

31. BurtReynolds says:

What a surprise, Best Buy fails to deliver. I am shocked.

Release day delivery on Amazon works for me. Typically a better price, no driving involved, no dealing with upsells at the register, and no dealing with Best Buy should the product be faulty out of the box.

32. BannedInBrittan says:

Not being able to get it at midnight might have been a good thing. Just look at what Phil did to his TV http://becauseitoldyouso.blogspot.com/2010/11/yes-i-am-first-moron-to-break-his-tv.html

33. thor79 says:

Decidedly not cool…but they have every right to change their minds…live with it.

34. BlkSwanPres says:

The big thing I think a great deal of the complainers are missing here is that this is a pre-order. Pre-orders were made as a way for a company to get some of your money before they have a product, in exchange you get benefits, like midnight release and guaranteed availability. He paid for a service and didn’t receive it, that’s the bottom line here. If you paid for a service to be preformed on the 4th, but the didn’t do it till the 5th, but you needed it on the 4th, hence paying for it then, having your money returned to you isn’t compensation. The phone company says I need to pay my bill by the 10th, if I pay it late they charge me $5.00, I can’t say just say, you got your money, be an adult and learn to be patient. They provide a service, I agreed to pay for by a certain time, if either of us do not live up to our ends we have to offer compensation to the other, plain and simple.

35. MSUHitman says:

This is why Best Buy midnight launches suck. If they don’t have a turnout, they will cancel it on the fly, and then you have the articles like this one of the people who actually want to go there are screwed.

Isn’t this like the 5th article on the same subject we’ve had on the site this year alone?

36. The Marionette says:

I’ll use an excuse that’s really similar to how many customers do.

Who really stays open until midnight?