This Is A $300,000 Barbie Doll

A Barbie doll dressed in a black cocktail dress, pink heels, and a sparkly pink necklace sold at auction at Christie’s yesterday for $302,500. Well, perhaps it’s not a Barbie doll so much as some plastic and fabric that happens to be attached to a custom-designed Cubist pink and white diamond necklace made by Australian jewelry designer Stefano Canturi.

Estimates before the auction predicted that it would sell for $500,000. While it didn’t reach that estimate, prices are up for any items including gold or precious gems. Shiny objects are a solid investment in uncertain times. As the designer himself said, “People are finding things other than the normal channels for investing and what’s happening is going back to the basics like going back to beautiful gold, gems, something they can actually hold on to.”

Barbie with diamond choker sells for record price [BBC]

Comments

1. pop top says:

That necklace is gorgeous. I love baguette-cut diamonds.

2. Nick says:

Leave it to the Australians…

3. Blueskylaw says:

TRANSLATED:
    A custom-designed Cubist pink and white diamond necklace made by Australian jewelry designer Stefano Canturi that sold for $302,500 came with a free Barbie doll.

4. The cake is a lie! says:

Like the doll, the jewelry is grossly disproportionate to what it would be if it were real. Sort of disappointing, but I guess it flows with the rest of the out of proportion features of the Barbie doll.

• Cantras says:

yeah, it almost looks normal until you realise how long her neck must be under that.

• The cake is a lie! says:

I always thought the dimensions were funny.

I remember when I was a kid my sister and mom were cleaning up my little sister’s room. My mom held up a Barbi doll and said it wasn’t fair to make girls think this is what they are expected to look like if they want to be considered beautiful. It doesn’t prepare them for reality. Then she held up a Cabbage Patch doll. “THIS prepares them for reality. No knees… no elbows… no discernible waist… no neck…” They both just about died laughing.

• JulesNoctambule says:

The great majority of little girls are aware that Barbie is a toy and not a depiction of a real woman, just like they know real babies look nothing like dolls, either. I’d give my niece all the Barbies she wanted before I’d give her a single issue of Vogue magazine with all its glossy images of glamorized, underfed teenagers.

5. VectorVictor says:

Crap–I hope my daughter doesn’t see that, or she’ll want one for Christmas.

6. Duckula22 says:

Wouldn’t buy it if it was 5 cents.

7. FrugalFreak says:

SORRY, these propaganda ads with diamond barbies and diamond bra will not make people willing to spend money, believe we have recovered, or lust after idiot things. The prop is not working. 20% don’t have jobs, prices are still high. SIT ON YOUR MONEY!

8. Laura Lee says:

Blueskylaw: I think that should be cubist pink and white diamond ring or maybe bracelet for very skinny wrist comes with barbie doll.

9. KAnne123 says:

This wasn’t just a doll for diamonds, 100% of the profits went to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation as well. So it was all for a good cause.