Subway Says Your Sandwich Is "Cheating"

A Subway sandwich artist told Chet that the sandwich he’s been ordering for years is “illegitimate.”

Chet and his wife routinely split Subway footlongs. Chet is more partial to roast beef. His wife is more partial to turkey. So when they ordered a Subway Club recently, they asked for all the roast beef to be put on one side, turkey on the other, ham evenly distributed across, and it cut in half.

They were ordering the same amount of meat as a normal Subway Club, they only wanted it to be apportioned differently. Every other time they’ve asked Subway to do this, there’s been no problem, but this day was different.

The sandwich artist got huffy and told his wife that this was against policy. While begrudgingly constructing the sandwich to their specifications, he said that the sandwich was “cheating” and if his manager caught him, he would get “reamed out.”

Passing the sandwich to the clerk for tallying up the transaction, the artist made a point of noting that it was an “illegitimate” sandwich.

On Subway’s website it says:

Can I customize my sandwich?

Yes! At SUBWAY®, every sandwich is fresh and made to order – just for you! In fact, there are over 2 million sandwich varieties available from our menu choices, so you can have your SUBWAY® sandwich with any combination of ingredients we offer.

Apparently rearranging the ingredients is the impossible 2 million and first sandwich variety and cannot be accommodated.

Chet and his wife thought the situation was very weird and kind of rude and sent comment to that effect in to Subway but have not heard back yet. In the future, they’ll avoid this particular franchise location.

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

When we don’t teach sandwich making skills in school, all this will lead to is illegitimate sandwiches.

2. grucifer says:

The Subway where I get lunch doesn’t tessellate :-(

• aloria says:

Mine too. But they always put extra cheese for free on my sandwiches, so I love them anyway.

• mindshadow says:

I like the shredded mixed cheese on my sandwich. The Subway near my mother-in-law’s house once told me I could not have shredded mixed cheese on my meatball sub. I’ve not been back since.

Sandwiches are serious business.

• MostlyHarmless says:

Is it made by men in Kazakhstan and comes two weeks late too?

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Mine either. The place is empty on my very early morning quest for my Black Forest Ham on Flat bread and I’d feel too self-conscious asking the hard working East Indian girl to tessellate my Swiss. I like to have put my cucumber in the too. Still, it always ends well with a manly squirt of honey-mustard. That’s the money shot $2.73 inc tax. yum.

• ITDEFX says:

I am tempted to try this, but SUBWAY STILL DOES NOT TESSELLATE!!!

3. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Holy crapola that’s a lot of mayo O_O

Eh, if it isn’t their usual subway, or a willing “sandwich artist” I could see how they’d get in trouble – especially considering that they’re in essence getting 2 subs for the price of one.

Personally I think its ridiculous that the guy wouldn’t do it, I’d have just done it myself in that case, or gone to a different restaurant.

• chefboyardee says:

“They were ordering the same amount of meat as a normal Subway Club, they only wanted it to be apportioned differently”

They’re still only getting one sandwich’s worth of meat, not two for the price of 1.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Um, two six inches have the same amount of meat as the footlong. Should I be able to order a footlong with half chicken salad and half meatball to split with the hubby instead of buying two different 6 inchers? I don’t think so. This is an extreme example, but the same type situation. If you want two different sandwiches, buy two different sandwiches.

• minjche says:

That is certainly an extreme example.

They’re ordering something that is already on the menu, the Subway Club. Then they’re asking for the meat to be distributed differently inside of the sandwich.

It’s true they are “sharing” the sandwich, which in some restaurants incurs an extra fee for just this type of situation, but in this case Subway has no sharing fee or policy regarding sharing.

I don’t personally see a problem with them sharing the sandwich. There’s no mention of whether or not they also shared a fountain beverage, which (with free refills) would be wrong on the part of the customer.

• FredKlein says:

Of course not. Because that’s not a sandwich they offer.

They DO, however, offer a roast beef / turkey sandwich. They get the same amount of each, whether they are one on top of the other, or side-by-side. Both configurations cost the same to make, take the same time to make. So what’s the problem?

• Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

So, if you order a foot-long sandwich to split with someone, you’d expect trouble? The OP says that it’s the exact same amount of ingredients as a regular club sandwich off the menu, except with the meat re-arranged.

• Anonymously says:

But you can’t get two different 6″ sandwiches for the price of a 12″.

• minjche says:

What you do with the sandwich after you pay for it is your decision.

• Anonymously says:

Agreed. They should just rearrange the meat themselves and not bother the “artist” to do it.

• minjche says:

Actually he’s not rearranging the meat. They’re having him build the sandwich that way. Perhaps a RTFA is in order?

This wouldn’t be an issue of Subway didn’t have an entire advertising campaign and company policy on the customization of their subs.

• Anonymously says:

Not an RTFA issue. “What you do with the sandwich after you pay for it is your decision” also includes rearranging the meat, which they could do to achieve the same result.

• minjche says:

Well as it would appear in the article, which is a really good read by the way, that they’d prefer to have the subway sandwich maker do that step for them.

So yes, you’re correct, but you’re correct about an irrelevant point. Lets get back to the article, hmm? (You’ve read it by now, right? Please?)

• shanelee24 says:

What? Are you being contrary on purpose? Should we label you a troll? His point was on topic and also relevant to the entire article. Dosent matter that they want to skip the rearranging step, he clearly stated that they SHOULD, not that they would take pleasure in it. GAH, your sarcasm is maddening in its childishness.

• minjche says:

If the OP were fine rearranging the sandwich themselves, there wouldn’t be an article. I don’t know how else I can explain it.

• shanelee24 says:

You explained it well. That is the point. If the OP were to rearrange the meat themselves, there would be no conflict and no article. That was what the commenter above was suggesting. I dont agree with him, and think Subway should just deal with it. But thats beside the point.

• minjche says:

Ok now I’m confused as to your point.

• ames says:

dude, he was AGREEING WITH YOU.

• Rena says:

Yeah sure, open up a sandwich after it’s been made and pick at the meat to rearrange it how you want. Does that not seem a little silly, and depending on the situation maybe infeasible and/or unsanitary? There should be no reason the person making the sandwich can’t do it for them.
              Really, to suggest they do it themselves emphasizes their point: since they can do it themselves, why can’t it be done for them? It’d be another thing if they were trying to combine two sandwiches into one, but this is identical to any other except for where the ingredients are placed on the bread.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

It’s arguing apples and oranges. Yeah, technically they’re getting a subway club, but also technically they’re getting a roastbeef + ham sub and a turkey + ham sub. 2 different subs if you look at it one way, 1 sub if you look at it another.

If the sandwich artist was causing so much problem, just order it regular and rearrange it after.

• ludwigk says:

Yes, but that “other” way of looking at it where they get two subs, a turkey/ham and a roast beef/ham, if that’s correct, then it ALWAYS applies to ALL club sandwiches. It’s just harder to divide a regular club sandwich, but the requisite components are always present. So, if Subway has a problem with this, they should have the same problem whenever they sell a club.

• HighontheHill says:

Yeah, poor reading comprehension, same items arranged differently = no additional items.

• Nudiarist says:

A footlong sub cut in half is, by definition, two subs in one.

• minjche says:

Whose definition is that?

• Nudiarist says:

It’s Subway’s definition. They sell a footlong sub, and a 6″ sub, which is a footlong cut in half. Subway refers to both sizes as “subs”. Therefore, a footlong cut in half is two subs in one.

• minjche says:

By that logic, the footlong sandwich (which you say is two six inch sandwiches) would be double the price of a six-inch sandwich (which is isn’t). Most six-inch subs are around $3.50, many footlong sandwiches are $5.

Personally, I think you’re pulling your “definition” out of your ass.

If one person walked up, asked for the sub as described, they’d be charged the price of one footlong sub, not two six-inch subs. Once paid for, that person could share their sub with 1 or 100 other people at their leisure.

Subway has no policy against sharing.

4. RandomHookup says:

I refuse to eat at a sandwich shop where the boss reams out an employee, especially in sight of everyone. It’s not pretty.

From dictionary.com: to extract the juice from: to ream an orange.

• jessjj347 says:

A lot of Subways are super strict about the amount and placement of ingredients.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Not in my experience. All of the subways in my area, with the exception of one or two (of a dozen) are quite generous.

• tooluser says:

The actual food is the least expensive item in the restaurant. Personnel, electricity, and franchise taxes are much much higher. Any restaurant that feels it needs to “meter” the food is nothing short of parsimonious.

How else do you think the “massive amounts of food on the plate” thing got started at less greedy restaurants?

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

BTW – if you havnen’t tried it yet, you should visit wiktionary.org. It’s very good and has no ads. I use it exclusively now.

5. Preyfar says:

My subway will only make what’s on the menu. Only. If I ask for turkey and roast beef (my favorite combo) they only way they will make it for me is if I buy extra meat. I’ve never been a Subway fan as it is, but if I have to get there, that’s what I order.

• kalanit says:

To me, that’s a Subway Club, no ham. I’ve been ordering that for years. Coincidentally last week I went to a new Subway and the guy ignored my “no ham” request and put the ham on anyway. He too told me that that wasn’t fair, so I walked out and won’t be going back.

Although I never ask for it, usually, the sandwich artist asks me if I want the ham replaced with more turkey or more roast beef. Its usually very easy to please a customer.

• RedOryx says:

Is there such a thing as a “turkey and roast beef” sandwich, or are you just ordering a turkey sub with added roast beef? (Or vice versa). I don’t understand why you wouldn’t expect to pay extra for the extra meat.

Customization =/= free extra food.

• Preyfar says:

Not free extra food. They can put on half the amount of turkey they would normally and half the roast beef. Stack it up. You’re using the same amount of meat for a single sandwich, just half of one and half of the other. Not a full sandwich worth of turkey, and a full sandwich worth of roast beef.

• Kitamura says:

Does a roast beef sandwich cost the same as the turkey on the menu? I could see it being a problem if the two sandwiches have different costs (though frankly I’d imagine they’d just charge the higher of the two prices)

• Griking says:

I can see this turning into an inventory problem. According to the register receipts it may show that the store sold 8 pounds of roast beef in a day but if people mix and match like this they may have in reality sold 10 pounds and run out before they expected to.

• mandy_Reeves says:

ughhhhh….they were not asking for EXTRA meat! it was just they were asking to place the meat differently!

• Nisun says:

-10000
        You fail

• Gandalf the Grey says:

Ask them to make a subway club, hold the ham. That generally works for me, unless the employee is extra incompetent.

Agreed, turkey + roast beef = best combo ever.

6. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Sorry, an Illegal Sandwich Construction Type -39 Error has occurred.

Resume
    Reboot

7. shell_beach says:

whether it comes form higher up or not, i always run into illogical workers at subway.

you have a sandwich here with 5 different italian meats… for 5$

ok well gimme that sandwich with only 2 of the meats and cheese.
    wait sir this is a custom sandwich 7.89 please. its like wtf

when they pull this shit i just ask for a side container of every single topping. i then put them in a bag and crush them all and throw it away in front of them. since they care about every penny so badly.
    and this isnt only one store, every freaking store near me is run by idiots. so i just go to quiznos…

• youbastid says:

You really do that? You really ask for every topping in a side container and then mash it up in front of them? Really? That makes you either: a grade A douche for wasting food and taking your frustration out on employees who are merely following a policy set forth by management, or a grade A douche for making the scenario up. It’s pretty much a douche-douche situation.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

KFC Double-Douche. Now at Subway!

• minjche says:

All those girls who advertised the double-down on the butts of their pants can now just wear the pants backwards! It’s marketing genius!

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Did you NOT get that they want to charge a lot more for a sandwich with two of the meats than for one with the same two plus three more?

What – you expect him to order the five meat sandwich and then open it up and pick off the meat and then do what exactly with it? Feed it to the poor?

He wants a sandwich with just TWO of the five meats on the italian sandwich. They won’t sell it to him for the same price.

WTF is wrong with you that you think what he’s doing is douchey?

• savashley says:

If you get the Italian sub without three of the meats, it is NO LONGER THE ITALIAN SUB, it is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MENU ITEM.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

BUT WHY DOES IT COST MORE TO LEAVE OFF THREE OF THE FIVE TYPES OF MEAT?

• youbastid says:

Well, probably because it’s not the equivalent of just taking off three meats, you are getting more of the other 2 meats. Let’s say an Italian sub comes with meats A, B, C, D, and E. If you say “Italian sub minus A, B, and C” it will cost the same, but it will be a pretty measly sandwich. The reason it costs more is if you say “Sub with D and E” you will get a full portion of both meats, vs. 1/5 with the Italian sub. It’s not too hard to understand once you think rationally and not IN ALL CAPS and sympathizing with irrational assholes with nothing better to do than ruin a minimum-wage earners day.

• user452 says:

OP was not asking for “sub with meats D and E”
                He was asking for a sub with 2/5 of the meat of the italian sub.

And in the end, that is exactly what he got via his method of getting the toppings on the side.

Stop sympathising with drones who lack the spines to challenge the stupid policies where they work.
                You know who else just followed orders? Godwin.

• druidicawen says:

From my experience at the local Subway, the meats for the “multi-meat” items, like the Club, are pre-arranged so they can just slap them on all at a time. They are also made out of turkey and not the “real” meats the single meat sandwiches have on them, if you notice the tiny asterisks on the board…

• user452 says:

A menu item with fewer ingredients.

• Marshmelly says:

How is it douchey? Hes not really doing anything to the employees directly. He’s just showing them how ridiculous their policy is. The employees probably have more of an effect on management’s policies than he would anyhow…it just gets the message across.

• Azzizzi says:

When someone does something unreasonable in my presence, it doesn’t really make me stop thinking the way I think and start thinking the way the unreasonable person thinks.

• youbastid says:

Why don’t you tell the people waiting in line at the soup kitchen that taking a bag full of fresh vegetables and throwing it in the trash out of SPITE is not a total dick move.

• hotcocoa says:

Yes, I didn’t understand the rational behind this comment either.
            Wasting perfectly good food just to express your frustration is so ridiculously stupid. Why one would want to boast about it is beyond me.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

It’s quite childish. If I were the sandwich artist, I would simply think he had some sort of mental disorder.

It scares me that there are actually people out there who think this way and feel the need to exact revenge on a minimum wage employee who is probably doing something out of fear of being fired (many of these workers live in fear daily of getting fired over the smallest infraction.)

Then they should quit.

Their should be a scarcity of skilled employees, not a scarcity of jobs.
                If a company wants to keep good employees, they need to listen to said employees and get rid of stupid policies.
                Companies want money, companies need to keep customers AND employees happy.

• user452 says:

Not very bright, are you?

He was demonstrating that their policy of charging more money for less ingredients was wasteful, due to the fact that he could easily pay less and just dispose of the extra ingredients.

Faceless corporations only care about lost profits.

• user452 says:

“a grade A douche for wasting food”
        You weren’t paying attention at all, were you?

Subway attempted to charge MORE money for LESS food.
        Subway’s policies resulted in the wasted food.

• agpc says:

Whenever I am confronted by a particularly obstinate subway sandwich artist, I take the reach across the protective glass, repeatedly smash their face in the shredded lettuce (empty calories anyways!) and then confiscate all the money in the cash register.

Usually they get the message, however on occasion, they curl up into the fetal position whenever I return to the store. I am a good Christian so usually I forgive their prior transgressions and even pay for double meat.

• anarkie says:

Quiznos is another chain that (at least in my area) is run by idiots and is WAY overpriced. Independant delis will give you way more meat and better quality ingredients.

• dr_drift says:

Have you ever considered that you may be batshit insane?

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I think it’s Subway’s policy of charging more for a sandwich with two types of meat, than they do for a sandwich with those same two meats plus three more, that is batshit insane.

• Azzizzi says:

I think it would make a difference if you were getting 40 percent of the amount of meat from the five-dollar sandwich or 100 percent of the amount of meat, but more of the two meats that you are getting (if that makes any sense).

• dr_drift says:

That’s more greedy or simply illogical than insane…

“when they pull this shit i just ask for a side container of every single topping. i then put them in a bag and crush them all and throw it away in front of them.”

That. That’s insane.

• Alvis says:

Not insane. AWESOME.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

So – what should he do, in your opinion?

a – Pay almost three dollars more for the sandwich with the two meats he wants?

b – part 1 – Pay the lower price for the sandwich with all five meats and then pull off the three types he doesn’t like?

b – part 2 – if yes to part one -then what should he do with the meat he pulls off the sandwich?

• dr_drift says:

I’ll have to go with that one, and he can throw away with he doesn’t want. Why go through this whole crazy process of making some 16 year old kid pack up a bunch of mayo for you so that you can be some passive-aggressive nutcase? It’s not about being wasteful with the meat or condiments, it’s about being a shitty customer to someone whose job probably already sucks enough. Do you really think the person making your sandwich will ever see any part of that extra $2.00 or whatever that he’s trying to charge you for the sandwich? You think there are incentives and bonuses involved? Is this the Glengarry Glen Ross of Subways? lol… Do you think he really enjoys making customers yell at him or waste his time packing up condiments? I’ve worked in fast food, I had to deal with enough idiots on a day to day basis. If the manager says that xyz should cost extra, then I’m going to tell that to the customers. I wasn’t going to put my $6.00/hour job on the line to make an ethical stand about the company’s product offerings.

So yeah, if you want the five meat sandwich with only two meats and you’re going to be charged extra for it, just take the five meat sandwich and take the rest off yourself. That way, you’ll feel like you totally “outsmarted” that stupid idiot of a customer service worker by faking him out on your sandwich selection. And if you still really need to feel like a complete piece of shit, you can still throw the meat away in front of him.

• gparlett says:

like.

• user452 says:

“I wasn’t going to put my $6.00/hour job on the line to make an ethical stand about the company’s product offerings.”

Then you’re a terrible person. What would it cost for you to stand up for what is right?

If every single “just doing my job” jerk stood up for what was right, they wouldn’t have to deal with unhappy customers.

• savashley says:

Yes, because the employee made up these rules that they’re following. Trust me, the employee thinks it’s as ridiculous as you do, but they have no control over it. It’s either charge you for what you ordered, or charge you for the Italian sub and risk getting fired. I agree with the other commenters..you’re insane.

You are wrong.

Like customers, employees are also capable of voicing their opinion and leaving any place they don’t agree with.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

For some reason as I was reading your comment….The Breakfast Club started playing in my head…specifically…the part where Ally Sheedy is making her sandwich.

• qualityleashdog says:

I’d do the exact same thing. I’d get’em all on the side and throw away the ones I didn’t want, just to spite the penny-pinchers.
      I do the same thing at McDonald’s, I don’t like their cheese on a burger, but I’ll order the McDouble with cheese on the side, whether I have use for it or not. I don’t get a discount for not ordering the cheese, but if I want an extra slice of cheese, it’s a big deal and I have to pay 30 cents, so I want to make sure we’re even and I don’t let them get one up on me.

• qualityleashdog says:

Same thing for condiments that cost 15 cents. I may order chicken nuggets and not want any condiments, but I make sure I take the full ration I’m entitled to based on the amount I order. I could spend a year not using any of the condiments I’m entitled to, but the first time I’d like a spare they’d stick their hand out for 15 cents. So I make sure I take all the condiments I’m due and I just chuck’em in the trash.

• Anonymously says:

And that’s why socialism sucks.

• dr_drift says:

You should take all their napkins, prop the soda dispensing tab back so it runs constantly, turn all the bathroom faucets on full and just leave. That’ll teach those greedy capitalist scumbags for wanting to charge you for things that you’re “entitled” to under the LAWS OF FAST FOOD.

Also lol.

• qualityleashdog says:

I always wind up taking too many napkins. Plus I have to take salt and pepper, whether I intend to use it or not. I just have to have it on the table. I get a couple of large drink lids and pump them full of ketchup, but that’s the stores fault because I can’t manage to juggle several little cups that just hold a squirt.
            Fast food has beaten me and abused me, I’m just out for revenge. Drove to Dairy Queen today, came back to the house and found I was missing two sandwiches. I had to turn around and drive back to the store. Do you think they offered me an apology? No. A little something to make up for their negligence? No. What did they offer me? A ton of questions implying that I was trying to pull a fast one on them and then a bag with two sloppily made burgers tossed in my general direction without a single pleasant word spoken. With such incidents being common, I say Fast Food deserves whatever they get. The greedy and lazy started the war on customer service, I’m just a victim, forced to do what I can.

• savageboredom (formerly Benguin) says:

Actually at the McDonalds around here a double cheeseburger is 99c, while a plain (single) hamburger is $1.29 and single cheeseburger is $1.49.

So yes, you actually get charged more for less product.

• qualityleashdog says:

Here, where I’m spending my money, a hamburger is .89, cheeseburger .99. McDouble is $1, and the double cheeseburger is $1.29. Someone in my group of diners may like the double, but not want to pay more than the $1 it formerly was. So they order the McDouble, I don’t want any cheese, so I get mine on the side and donate it. They get the equivalent of the double cheeseburger, without the jacked up price. Getting it on the side also forces them to use an extra sandwich box, just for the cheese.
          I so enjoyed playing McDonald’s little game where they quibble over cheese that I still get the cheese on the side and just toss it out even when I dine alone, or with people that don’t want my cheese.

• ma1234 says:

You have to be kidding me. Try this: “McDouble with no cheese.” It works, I promise. I do it all the time.

• user452 says:

You’re missing the point.

Do they give you a $0.30 discount for leaving off the cheese? No.
          Every time you order something without cheese, that is a saving they make that they do NOT pass onto you.

• minjche says:

You could always … you know … just not go to Subway.

Or be an adult and speak with the manager.

• danmac says:

I give this comment the Bad Consumer tag.

Subway’s menu pricing may be rational. It may be ridiculous. Regardless, neither justifies you treating another human being like a complete piece of shit. I hope you notice the disgusted looks people give you as you walk out of the store; they’re deserved.

• FrugalFreak says:

Thats how they are treating him/her. a rational worker would see less meat makes Subway MORE money. They were just being nitpicky, consumer has every right to return attitude. The Business is NOT always right! I’m sick of pro business people thinking biz owners are Gods.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Except they aren’t using less meat. Their meat is pre-portioned for them to make sandwiches with. If they only use 1/2 of one, then what do they do with the other half? They may have to throw it away. If they don’t, that 1/2 portion sits there all day long until they can recycle it into another pre-portioned meat stack–which I am guessing doesn’t happen. So, they still use a whole stack of meat, even if you don’t want it all.

It’s a lot like buying a can of Coke, pouring out half, and then saying the store saved money because 1/2 the drink was poured out. Or, in some cases, pouring out 1/2 the can, adding a 1/2 can of 7-Up to fill up the empty half and then expecting to be charged for one can of soda since technically all you have.

• Putaro says:

Then they can toss the extra meat. He didn’t say he’s asking for a discount. Probably he just doesn’t like some of the meat.

• gparlett says:

Okay, this doesn’t make any sense. I have never been to a fast food place that won’t allow you to remove ingredients from an item for no cost. A footlong subway sandwich has a paltry 5 oz of meat. Assuming equal distribution of meat, if you pull 3 of the types of meat off you end up with a sandwich that only has 2 oz of meat. That would taste terrible and is probably not what you want. I’m assuming you want 5 oz of the two kinds of meat you prefer, that is a substituion, not a removal.

Please let me know if I’m wrong, because if I am then, yes, that Subway is being crazy. But I don’t really know why you would want to eat a sandwich with 2 oz of meat.

• kewpie says:

Actually, I have been at a restaurant that wanted to charge me to take something off. Back when I was in college, the local Burger King offered a “Veggie Whopper”. It was just a Whopper sandwich with no meat (there was no veggie patty or anything else like that on it–just veggies, sauce, and bun). The store was running a special on Whoppers for $0.99, but when I ordered a Veggie Whopper they tried to charge me $1.25 because only the Whoppers were on sale. I said I’d have a regular Whopper without meat, but they said I couldn’t do that either. If I wanted a Whopper without meat I had to order the Veggie Whopper and pay an extra $0.25.

So, I left and called the BK 800 number to complain. The customer service rep said the store was in the right. I pointed out their ad campaign was “have it your way” and my way was without meat. She said meat wasn’t a condiment and couldn’t be removed from the sandwich. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten at BK again.

• qualityleashdog says:

You should go back, and get your pound of flesh. Complain about everything. Return sandwiches and ask for them to be remade. Take condiments and throw them away. Anything and everything to get what they owe you for trying to overcharge.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Yeah, like if you are asking for double turkey and ham instead of a cold cut combo that’s a big difference in price.

• qualityleashdog says:

What kind of container do they use to put every single topping in the side on? You must consider that they are no longer just using every single topping, but a container to place each of them in as well, that would be satisfying to trash in front of them after the stunts they try to pull.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I can see this. The meat is already portioned out for them to make the subs with. They would have to pull it apart and then you would have very little meat on the sandwich. If you want them to make up for the meat that’s left off, then they would have to use two pre-proportioned types of seperate meat, thereby giving you double the meat of a normal sub.

So, either you end up with half of the normal amount of meat, or double the amount of meat.

• haggis for the soul says:

I can see you play well with others.

• Nikolii says:

That’s funny, I didn’t even know Subway had anything on the board with 5 meats, let alone the $5 menu. Calling bullshit on your comment. The only multi-meat things they have on the $5 menu is the Cold Cut Combo (prepacked turkeyham, bologna and salami, so its actually different than the raw materials on the line) and the Spicy Italian (salami/pepperoni, which is the cheaper bastard-son of the BMT’s pepperoni/salami/ham).

8. Daverson says:

What the hell is that in the photo? A Bukkake Special?

9. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

When I worked at Subway I would make sandwiches any way someone ordered them.
    Tuna and chicken breast? Not a problem.
    Veggie sub with only olives and cheese? Not a problem.
    My boss always encouraged us to work with customers to keep them coming back!

*from a former Certified Sandwich Artist* (I still have the certificate to prove it!)

• minjche says:

Good for you and your boss. I’m sure the long-term gains of returning customers was worth any lost materials costs (and as I understand it, the material costs for a subway sandwich are quite low).

• mandy_Reeves says:

is that Hyancinth bucke’t in your avatar?

• DoubleEcho says:

THIS 1000x and more.

The reason I keep going back to the Subway I frequent is because the staff is so nice, but also because they don’t have a problem with wanting things a little different on your sandwich. If I want a thin stripe of mayo they make sure to spend the extra couple seconds it takes to do so, instead of a thick swipe. If I want a little extra lettuce they have no issues either. They also remember my usual subs and chat with me while they make them.

Good customer service, even if you have to give a little more, makes for long term profits in the end. Losing a long term customer is worse for you than saving in the short term.

• user452 says:

Your store rocks, I want to buy from you.

10. Power Imbalance says:

Somebody thinks their job is more important than it is…

• minjche says:

I think the sandwich artist just misunderstands what decisions he is and isn’t able to make.

Here’s how I compare it to a personal experience. When I was a clerk at a CVS and Eckerd, there were times when people wanted to buy cigarettes and didn’t have ID. I’m of course concerned about underage kids smoking, but a large motivation for me carding people was because if I got caught I’d see a huge fine and an automatic firing.

Perhaps this sandwich dude is motivated to not lose his job, and made a bad decision based on that motivation. As is the case in many customer service stories, thoughts of the short-term outweigh those of the long-term.

My advice to the customer would be to ask to speak with the manager, calmly explain that they’d be more inclined to keep visiting this Subway knowing that they truly can customize all aspects of their order. In an ideal world, everybody involved would learn a valuable lesson from the interaction and this couple would end up with a sandwich to their liking.

• OSAM says:

Asking for ID for legal reasons and not being a grade-A tool are nowhere near the same.

• minjche says:

That’s what’s great about an analogy, you can compare two things that are different!

Just to be nice, I’ll spell it out for you.

Some authority said an employee must act in a certain way or else they get fired. Said employee wants to keep their job, so they act in that certain way.

-“Some authority” = local/state/federal lawmakers or Subway managers
          -“act in a certain way” = card for tobacco or build sandwiches in a prescribed manner

• OSAM says:

The fact that the authority in this case is the perceived power of the boss, where as in your case the authority is the state government. The employee believes that his boss will give him crap for doing what he’s being asked, but in your case the state government would have rather seriously sanctioned you (fine/termination).

Your analogy doesn’t work. Apples/oranges.

• minjche says:

You’re comparing “apples and oranges”, I’m saying they’re both fruit. Turn off the tunnel vision.

Seriously you do know what an analogy is, right? I’m not saying the two things are the exact same thing, because they’re not. I’m saying they have similar points. It’s not even the core message of my original comment, so I’m not sure why you’re picking it apart.

The degree of consequences is irrelevant, what matters is that there are possible consequences present.

Another case study:
              Stealing a nickel is a crime, stealing 10 billion dollars is a crime. You’re saying they’re different because the amount is different, which is true but irrelevant. I’m saying they’re both crimes. It’s an analogy!

• OSAM says:

I understand very clearly what an analogy is, and frankly your condescending tone is a smack in the face. I’m clearly not going to get my point across to you so I won’t bother trying.

• minjche says:

Apologies for offending you and sorry to see a discussion die early.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Maybe give him crap actually=being fired. Your talking about workers who have to come to work with strep throat or be fired. Minimum wage workers have little job security and have being fired dangled over their head pretty much every second so the company can get what they want out of them.

• All Work and Low Pay says:

He might be condescending but he is correct. the situation is still the same. If the cvs clerk doesn’t comply with the stores rules and doesn’t card and get caught, the store (not the clerk) gets a fine and the clerk will get fired. If the sub “artist” does not comply with the stores rules and gets caught, he will get fired. The situation, whether it’s mandated by a government sanction or a corrupt sanction, ultimately is the same for the worker, because it terminates his job. It’s not apples to oranges, it’s actually rather simple.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

No, a minimum wage worker who is barely making ends meet is trying to follow the rules so they don’t get fired.

11. cmdr.sass says:

The only way I can picture this story is if the sandwich artist is wearing a beret and speaking with a thick French accent. Eet izzz against polizzeee!

12. weathergirl says:

I used to work at Subway and would do this kind of thing all the time. In fact, my manager encouraged it. Basically, whatever the customer wanted, the customer got. We would get some weird requests, like a chicken bacon ranch with a couple of pieces of turkey…when that happened we would charge them for extra cheese (25 cents for a 6″) or bacon (50 cents for a 6″) depending on how much extra they wanted. Result: we had a ton of regulars. It was great.

• LACubsFan says:

I was escorted out of a Subway by the cops and told never to go back because they said the amount of condiments I was asking for was breaking the rules (I asked for extra extra pickles, and extra lettuce) I got a little loud, and 2 cops who were eating there told me to “calm down”, when I ignored them they escorted me out. I got the last laugh though, when I complained to the owner of the store I was given a $50 gift card.

13. dr_drift says:

Ugh… Do I have to remind everyone of Brown v. Board of Education?

“Does segregation of meats in private restaurants solely on the basis of type, even though the physical breads and other “tangible” ingredients may be equal, deprive the meats of the minority group of equal consumption opportunities? We believe that it does…”

14. chargerRT says:

This is surprising. Anytime I’ve ordered a Subway sandwich, I’ve been forced to direct the artist’s every move, even for sandwiches pictured on the menu. Maybe “put the meat on the bread” is the one thing they have complete control over.

• Azzizzi says:

I had one rare instance like that. This guy must have been on drugs. I had to repeat everything at least twice. “Salt and pepper?” “No, just salt.” “Salt and pepper?” “Salt only, please…”

The thing that really surprised me was when I asked for jalapenos and he said, “What kind of painyos?” Um, hala? hala-pain-yos?

• minjche says:

A guy at a local deli pulled a similar joke on me.

I asked for honey mustard, he said “What kinda mustard?”, so I repeated “Honey”. He replied “What’d you call me?” in a jokingly aggressive way.

We both had a good laugh :-P

• OSAM says:

most of the time I feel like walking behind the counter and doing it myself for this exact reason.

• SG-Cleve says:

I don’t think they have control of “put the meat on the bread”. It really annoys me that they make the sandwiches upside down (meat on top) so I ask them to put the meat on the bottom piece of bread it doesn’t always happen.

15. peebozi says:

the kid made them their sandwich. BFD, nothing to see here.

maybe the free market will work this out on its own!

• gparlett says:

The free market, on the whole, has been a giant failure at providing quality sandwiches to people. Jimmy Johns has finally stepped into the void in parts of the country, but i left the sandwich nirvana of New York in 98 and have since lived in the sandwich-less wastes of Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, and Texas. These are areas that think of Quiznos as a sandwich place….

16. ooloncoluphid says:

Have none of you ever worked in fast food? Fast food managers can be notoriously pedantic when it comes to policy, real or imagined. When the “sandwich artist” says he could be reamed by his manager, I believe him. Don’t take your frustrations out on the person who has no power to change anything.

• Michaela says:

Plus, the policy says they will customize the sandwich”just for you!” You = 1 person. Such a policy isn’t meant to allow two people to cheat subway out of the extra couple of bucks they would get if they ordered two 6 inch sandwiches.

• minjche says:

Are you seriously trying to make that point? Like whether “you” means one person?

Let me ask you (one person) this.

If I walked up, just one person, and asked for a sandwich as specified by the OP, what difference would it make? After I’ve paid, I (one person still) can take my sandwich and give half to someone else. The end result is the same.

• Michaela says:

You could easily give your half to someone else. Subway can’t control what you do with the sandwich after leaving the store. However, they can threaten workers with job loss if they knowingly allow two people to save money by making two different sandwiches on a footlong.

• minjche says:

I think that’s a pretty weak argument. I just can’t see a manager threatening something so asinine as that.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Have you never worked a minimum wage job? The managers are usually control freaks. If they can maximize profit for their store by charging for two subs instead of one, that is a gold star for the manager, so the drones get put to task to carry out these types of policies. The goal for a store is to make the most money possible while keeping the balance of pleasing as many customers as possible.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Exactly. In the eyes of you and me, doing this for the customers means repeat business. But in the shortsighted vision of a manager who’s constantly under pressure to maximize profits, and who has two dozen people a day trying to pay for one meal and get two, it could mean losing the difference in profit between 2 6-inch subs and 1 12-inch.

I can see a manager making a blanket policy of “no customizations that are half-and-halfs”. As a matter of fact, when I managed a pizza place, the owners were very annoyed when someone ordered a half-pepperoni, half-mushroom pizza. They expressly forbid splitting an order of wings “half mild, half hot”. And they didn’t allow us to customize half of a footlong sub, say with onions on only one half. They were adamant about it.

It’s not a stretch at all to say the employee was telling the truth about getting in trouble for this. They should have taken it to the manager later.

• minjche says:

I’ve worked several minimum wage jobs actually, and I’ve had silly managers, too, but never as bad as to not allow someone to do what the OP is doing.

• The_IT_Crone says:

You have CLEARLY never worked in retail/fast food. This is a tiny stupidity compared to some of the things they made me do/threatened me with.

• AlphaLackey says:

> “You = 1 person.”

Not in the English language, as in the English language, ‘you’ is used for both the second person singular and second person plural.

• outlulz says:

This is also a store with a policy as to how employees can position cheese on a sandwich.

17. jefeloco says:

My god, I nearly puked when I saw that pic of that poor sandwich drowning in mayo.

18. kcarlson says:

New Employee Syndrome.

19. AnxiousDemographic says:

Sandwich “artist”? Since when is color-by-numbers an art?

20. tweeder82o says:

i like my bread on the inside of all of the ingredients

21. Jabberkaty says:

I miss my former favorite sandwich artist. I think his name was Tim. He always made the best sandwiches. They never fell apart or had too much sauce and he never gave you any grief if you had a special order.

My husband and I would often split footlongs and have different toppings on each side.

22. Gravitational Eddy says:

I’m not a “Sandwich Artist”, but I do feel qualified to make this statement:
    any sandwich -not- made the way I want it, I will not pay for.
    If I order a foot long club sandwich ($5 this week!!) and I spec “NO HAM on one end, I get no ham on one end. End discussion.
    I’d avoid that franchise like the plague, perhaps the manager thinks the customer requests aren’t all that important anymore, since corporate sets the rules and “the rules must be followed or else!”.

Jimmy Johns rules, no chance of this backtalk happening there, thankfully. At Jimmy John’s, I am the only reason they exist. And the attention to detail shows. No lippy “sandwich artist” giving anyone grief…

• minjche says:

At my local Jimmy Johns, there’s no back-talk because there frankly isn’t time for back-talk. They typically are handing me my sandwich before the credit card receipt prints out.

Two thumbs up for Jimmy Johns.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I wish Jimmy Johns had more vegetarian/vegan options. I want to love them. Subway sucks, but they have a veggie patty in a lot of markets.

• minjche says:

I tried that veggie patty and didn’t care for it. I’d opt for the veggie delight sandwich (and the cheaper price :-D) and load up on spinach.

23. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Am I just being crazy or did it occur to them (the OP) maybe they should just order separately…

• cybrczch says:

But then they’d be paying more (2 6-inch sandwiches cost more than 1 12-inch sandwich).

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Exactly. For the same reason, they should go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac with an extra half-bun so they can make it into two separate single burgers! And an order of half fries, half onion rings!

24. gp1138 says:

I’ve had LOTS of different “sandwich artists” give me crap because I ask for bacon instead of cheese and salami, considering cheese is included in the price of the sub. I’m of the opinion that those two ingredients more than make up for the addition of the bacon, however if I encounter static (as I frequently do) I offer to pay for the bacon… and even THEN I sometimes get static.

25. Spook Man says:

Lazy workers now-a-days.. He just wanted to make the sandwich and god forbid do anything more that put pre-arranged meat on the bread..

Jersey Mike’s Subs rock; these are the real sub.. Never will go back to subway (unless the local Jersey Mike’s closes).. ha-ha..

26. jheyneman says:

I “cheat” by getting the Oven Roasted Chicken with Buffalo sauce. $5 footlong Buffalo Chicken as opposed to $6 or whatever. They have recently started putting the buffalo sauce on the chicken in the cooler thing and not having a bottle of sauce at the end. They have foiled my plans.

27. davidsco says:

Don’t hold your breath waiting for Subway to respond. I have found their CS to be SORELY lacking. That being said, technically, you’re ordering 2 different 6″ subs instead of a footlong, and since 2 6″‘s cost more, they fear they’re losing money

28. ianmac47 says:

Since when are the cogs on the Subway sandwich assembly line “artists”?

• gparlett says:

Subway made a big deal back in the late 80s early 90s about how all of their employees were ‘sandwich artists’ and had gone to a special school, kind of like McDonald’s ‘Hamburger University’. I think everyone that uses it now does so derogatorily.

29. benh999 says:

Give me a break. Do they share a small soda and refill it several times too?

• minjche says:

That really has nothing to do with this. There’s no policy at subway on sharing sandwiches, but there is a policy on allowing sandwich customization. The couple is not asking for any more or any less than what they are paying for.

• Disappointed says:

Probably. In fact, I would wager, highly likely.

I do this.
      But if you enjoy wasting money on 2 larges drinks so you don’t need to waddle your fat arse to the soda machine, feel free to throw some money my way.

30. samonela says:

My experience:

I once ordered a regular ol’ ham sandwich from Subway but asked if they would leave out the ham and substitute it for the veggie patty. The “artist” looked at me in disgust and asked “why don’t you just order the veggie patty sandwich then? It’s the same thing.” I answered, “because the veggie patty sandwich is not a $5 footlong.” Needless to say I was denied.

I also refuse to buy a Veggie Delight for $5 because I remember when you could get that footlong for $3.99. Raising the price of that on par with meat-laden subs is just highway robbery IMO…

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Do you go to McDonalds and ask for a Hamburger, but could they substitute a Fillet O’Fish for the burger?

The veggie patty costs a lot more for them to buy, hence they have to charge more. Not rocket science.

That reminds me of the customers we used to get when I was a hostess/waitress at a family restaurant. “Yes, I’ll have the fish sandwich, and instead of the 2-ounce garnish of coleslaw, I’ll substitute a side-salad. And a baked potato. Instead of the cup of sour cream that comes with that, I’ll substitute a bowl of chowder, and instead of the lemon slice, a piece of pie, please.”

I wish I was kidding, but I was not. If you can’t afford to eat out, don’t eat out.

• user452 says:

“If you can’t afford to eat out, don’t eat out.”
        I can afford to eat out, I just can’t afford to tip.

• minjche says:

The fact that different subs have different costs should clue you in that there’s a difference in material costs between subs. Prior to the $5 footlong promotion, there were numerous price points for subs.

I don’t know how much Subway pays for their ham and their veggie patties, but if the veggie patty isn’t a $5 footlong, there’s a chance it’s a high material cost compared to ham, so asking for such a substitution would be reducing Subway’s margin on your sub.

Essentially you’re asking to pay less than what is charged for your veggie patty sub, which is wrong.

31. bigd738778 says:

The O.P. is an idiot. They are ordering 2 sandwich’s and are expecting to only pay for one (1) 12″ sub vs’ the cost of two (2) 6″ subs. It is cheating and it is not in the spirt of what Subway is “offering as make it your way”. I hope Subway contacts them back and explain’s that instead of trying to cheat the system they buy 2 seperate subs. I don’t see how the Consumerist would agree with cheating a company when I thought they are against people getting cheated? To the O.P., if you can’t afford Subway then stay at home and make your own sandwich, you cheap skate.

• minjche says:

If a single person walked up and asked for the sandwich as it was described by the OP, there would be no extra charge. There are no additional ingredients being added to the sandwich, and Subway does not have a “sharing charge” in place. The only difference is the placement of the ingredients.

As for their finances, how they manage their money is none of your business.

• camman68 says:

Supposed I wanted to eat half of the sandwich when I ordered it, then take the other half to work. Rather than having 2 ham sandwiches, I could have 1 ham now, and 1 roast beef later.

Since I am supposed to be able to get the sandwich any way I want it, do you consider this “cheating”? Is it different if I want to share the sandwich with someone else?

• what-me-worry? says:

So taking your comment to the extreme, is getting a 6-foot sub and splitting it among co-workers “cheating”?

Quite often my wife and I get a 12″ and split it. Considering THEY cut the sandwich IN HALF before they wrap it, I’d say they are consenting to such an arrangement. No one at Subway (or any other sandwich shop) has complained to me about our practice.

32. mbz32190 says:

Am I the only one who has never eaten at a Subway? (I do live in the Philly ‘burbs, home/area of the Hoagie. There are almost 10 different independent pizza/sandwich shops in the area, along with a Subway in every shopping center. I’m not choosing Subway. And from what I hear from friends that have eaten it, the hoagies at Wawa (mini-martt and deli chain) are much better.

33. b612markt says:

I wish we had Schlotzkys in Chicago. :(

34. framitz says:

“A Subway sandwich artist” . . . gimme a break … Please.

35. Buckus says:

I don’t go to Subway very often anymore. Port of Subs slices fresh; by comparison, Subway meat tastes almost like the super-cheap, 99 cent packs of meat from the grocery. Also, these ridiculous policies and not slicing the bread all the way through…

36. Power Imbalance says:

No matter what combination you get it always tastes the same…

37. ldavis480 says:

This guy is very lucky the Subway didn’t report him to the sandwich police. In other news there are now sandwich artists. I didn’t know art was such an exact science.

38. Mary says:

I worked in a made to order sandwich shop this summer that was not Subway.

Anything you asked me to do to your sandwich (within reason) I would do. Actually, even though we didn’t have the equipment to toast a sandwich, my manager would make me either microwave it for you if you asked (in a rinky dink microwave that did nothing but make stuff soggy) or take it over to the pizza people where they would put it in their ovens and it half the time ended up scorched. Why you couldn’t just order one of our subs where the toppings were already hot, I don’t know, but whatever. The rule was if I could bend over backwards and get it done, I would had to do it because it was corporate policy. The guy who came in and yelled at us for not having whole grain bread instead of plain wheat? We went over to the bread stand and got a loaf of whole grain to make him a sandwich on. The people who wanted two servings of ham on a club and no roast beef? Sure thing, why not? Mix your cheese selection? Why not?

So the lesson I’m trying to give you here is see if your grocery store has a sub shop and get your subs there instead. They probably have cheaper prices and better service.

39. sopmodm14 says:

what the hell kinda artist is that ?

40. Plasmafox says:

The subways around here won’t put real mayonnaise on in the line, you have to grab packets and put it on yourself. If they’re making it, and you ask for mayo, they put miracle whip on it and then wonder why you have a problem with it. I used to eat at subway all the time, now I hardly ever do. The lack of respect leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Almost as sour as Miracle Whip.

41. gman863 says:

Sandwich Artist?

Sounds more like Sandwich Nazi.

“NO SUB FOR YOU!!!!”

42. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I had a guy at Jimmy John’s try to charge me for two regular subs when I said something about splitting the giant with my husband. The sandwich was totally uniform. Nothing special was done to it. I ordered it as a giant. It was wrapped in one wrapper.

Of course it didn’t fly.

43. andyg8180 says:

a chicken bacon ranch is $2 more than ordering a $5 chicken breast ft long w/ hot sauce and ranch + .50 for bacon lol…. Is that cheating? eh, more like working the value meal in your favor…

• minjche says:

The chicken used in the chicken bacon ranch is sliced chicken breast. The chicken used in the grilled chicken breast is processed and re-formed chicken.

So the quality of the chicken makes the difference.

44. jesirose says:

To be fair to Subway, it is cheating. Instead of each getting a 6″ (and two 6″ costs more than a 12″), they’re splitting one sandwich. Subway has always had a problem with this. You’re trying to get a deal. If 4 people are all friends and want 6″ subs, they don’t order 2 12″, they order their own 6″.

It’s silly that a 6″ isn’t equal to the price of a 12″ divided in half. But for whatever reason, that’s the case. Many places charge more than half for the half size, and don’t want you sharing.

• user452 says:

“If 4 people are all friends and want 6″ subs, they don’t order 2 12″, they order their own 6″. “
      No, they don’t. They order 2x 12″. You just have shitty friends.

45. Urgleglurk says:

I go to Jersey Mike’s. Forget Subway.

46. Missing in Vlissingen says:

Who wants to be constrained by corporate sandwich rules? I make my own sandwiches at home.

47. LuckyLady says:

The biggest problem that I have is at the Subway I went to once–until I saw this–the dude made my sandwich, took my money and then went right back to making another sandwich without either putting new gloves on or washing his hands. Ick!!!

48. redheadarmy says:

As someone who works at a sub shop/deli, I can say we get this request alot and dont do it. Either agree on a sub or get two seperate ones. Would you go to mcdonalds and request a half burger half chicken sandwich? No so why expect it to be different at a sub shop? Especially at subway where its only $5 for the majority of their subs. Either be cheap or picky, but not both.

49. omnicious says:

you know that smell? you can smell it if you even just walk past a subway. how come nothing else in the world smells like that? i don’t know what it is, but it’s not food.

50. psm321 says:

I’ve heard the same thing at my Subway when I wanted them to do something (else) special and they were wary that I was going to ask them to do this. I don’t understand it. (well I do, they make more money selling 2 6in’s, but it’s still stupid and not a good policy to have for your image)

51. tanyaandkarl says:

Congratulations on your clever interpretation of the “rules” of sandwich making.
    Here’s the one you forgot: If you win, it’s cheating. If I win, it’s not.

52. DashTheHand says:

MY CHEESE STILL REMAINS NON-TESSELLATED!

Seriously Subway, spread the word about cheese tessellation already.

53. bricksandmortar says:

i actually get the chicken bacon ranch and tell them to add buffalo sauce to it at the end. If you get the buffalo chicken alone its like 2$ more total if you add bacon and its the exact same thing. Guess subway hasn’t caught on the that one.

54. Nudiarist says:

There are several issues here. 1) Subway’s stated policy is to customize all of their sandwiches; 2) The customer was not asking for any substitutes or additional ingredients, only to have the meat arranged differently; 3) It should not be Subway’s concern how the sandwich is consumed, whether it’s by a single person, or by four; 4) If offering a $5 footlong is not profitable for Subway, they should not offer it in the first place; and 5) The customer was treaded rudely by the “sandwich artist”.

Subway owes these folks an apology, and the rude employee who openly called the sandwich “illegitimate” should be sacked. In a bad economy such as we have today, Subway should be instructing their people to do everything possible to keep customers happy. Certainly just about every fast food joint has a similar or better deal, so in the end, it’s customer service and quality that makes the difference.

55. brinks says:

I remember going to Subway with my ex. We’re both vegetarians, but we wanted a few different veggies and condiments. We’d always order our own 6 inch subs since we thought it was “cheating,” but the manager of the location we always frequented told us to just order a footlong and he could put whatever we wanted on either side.

I think we were cheating more than the OP. The OP was getting the standard stuff on the sub, just asking that it be placed differently. No biggie.

56. neverandever says:

I had a regular customer back when I was a sandwich monkey that ordered similar to that – he’d always get a footlong club with all the meat on one side because he shared with his girlfriend, who wanted a veggie sub. Not a big deal. Same amount of meat, just proportioned differently on the bread.

Then again, we were pretty lax at my store. You want pepperoni on a ham sub? We’d ring up as a BMT instead of a ham + extra meat. Cheaper that way.

57. opticnrv says:

Two words…Jersey Mike’s…splitting sandwiches (even wrapping them separately) is their pleasure…(and no, I don’t work there)

58. Disgustipater says:

I was behind a couple in line at a Subway a few months ago and they ordered two different menu sandwich ingredients to be put on a single footlong, one on each side, so they could split it. I thought that was pushing it a bit, but the sandwich maker didn’t seem to care.

59. what-me-worry? says:

Funny, that. My wife and I went to a Subway and I asked for black olives on our sandwiches. The sandwich construction worker put exactly 4 slices on, counting them out as he did so. When I asked if they could put more olives on, he said that was “against policy”. We never returned to that location. At a Subway closer to my house they sprinkle them on liberally.

I love these on-the-spot made-up policies. Just means I won’t be going back, and I will tell this story of your moronic power trip to everyone I know.

60. fredmertz says:

Is this is a guest post written by an editor from the Onion? If so, you forgot to use their headline, “Area person gets less than perfect service at fast food restaurant”

61. KMFDM781 says:

Just make the fucking sandwich you pinhead!

62. tooluser says:

I find it easy to avoid Subway altogether. The idea that I would want to customize my sandwich is absurd. Make the sandwich the right way, save me many minutes of waiting in line and making choices about every ingredient. Then I would be a happy customer. But Subway doesn’t work that way. So they don’t get my money.

63. user452 says:

My partner and I have experienced a similar situation, we also routinely split footlongs, the only difference between each half being that one of us is a vegetarian, so we have both halves of the meat put on one side.
    Several times they’ve tried to charge us for either “extra” meat, or for 2 six inches. We give them one change to correct their error, if they don’t agree that we ordered a footlong, we leave and eat someplace else.

64. ReVeLaTeD says:

Some of you guys are missing the point.

The reason it’s cheating has to do with the dispersal of the meat, not the selected meat. Technically, they’re getting two 6 inch subs – which would be around $8. By ordering it as a 6 inch they’re cheating on the remaining $2 or whatever it is, because the footlong is cheaper than buying two 6 inch subs.

If they ordered one footlong of a particular variety with EVEN distribution of meats, it wouldn’t be a problem. But you can’t shift meat on either side to circumvent paying for two 6 inches. If she wants her sandwich her way, get her a 6 inch and pay the right price for each.

The “customize my sandwich” policy refers to, within a 6 inch OR a footlong, you can customize what is or is not there, not location within the sandwich to get around paying the right price.

Semantics? Maybe. But my point is that Subway is absolutely in the right here. Fortunately, there is an easy solution to the problem.

- Order the footlong Subway Club AS IS without asking them to customize the meats.
    – Take it home, reorg the meat the way you want it.

Done. I fail to see what the problem is.

65. MNGirl says:

A Roast Beef footlong has 6 pieces of meat, a footlong turkey has 8 pieces of turkey, and a footlong ham has 8 pieces of ham. A footlong club has 4 turkey, 2 ham, and 4 roast beef, and a footlong turkey ham has 4 of each.