2 Million Graco Strollers Recalled Over Strangulation Hazard

Following four reports of infant strangulation, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Graco Children’s Products Inc have announced the recall of about 2 million Graco strollers due to risk of entrapment and strangulation.

In addition, CPSC is aware of five reports of infants becoming entrapped, resulting in cuts and bruises, and one report of an infant having difficulty breathing.

From the announcement:

Entrapment and strangulation can occur, especially to infants younger than 12 months of age, when a child is not harnessed. An infant can pass through the opening between the stroller tray and seat bottom, but his/her head and neck can become entrapped by the tray. Infants who become entrapped at the neck are at risk of strangulation.

The recall involves older versions of the Graco Quattro Tourâ„¢ and MetroLiteâ„¢ strollers and travel systems manufactured prior to the existence of the January 2008 voluntary industry standard which addresses the height of the opening between the stroller’s tray and the seat bottom. This voluntary standard requires larger stroller openings that prevent infant entrapment and strangulation hazards.

This recall involves Graco Quattro Tourâ„¢ strollers and travel systems manufactured prior to November 2006 and MetroLiteâ„¢ strollers and travel systems manufactured prior to July 2007. The strollers and travel systems were distributed between November 2000 and December 2007. The model numbers are printed on a label at the lower portion of the rear frame, just above the rear wheels or underneath the stroller. The name “Graco” appears on a label on the stroller tray and the headrest. Models included in the recall are:

The strollers were sold at AAFES, Babies R Us, Burlington Coat Factory, Fred Meyer, Kmart, Meijers, Navy Exchange, Sears, Target, Walmart and other stores nationwide between November 2000 and December 2007 for between $90 and $190 for the strollers, and between $190 and $250 for travel systems.

CPSC advises that consumers should immediately stop using the recalled strollers and contact Graco for a free repair kit.

To order a repair kit, contact Graco toll-free at (877) 828-4046 anytime, or visit the firm’s website at www.gracobaby.com. Consumers can continue use of the stroller as a “travel system.” When the stroller is used with the infant car seat, the entrapment and strangulation hazards posed by the space gap are not present.

For additional information, consumers can contact Graco at (800) 345-4109 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

Graco Recalls Quattroâ„¢ and MetroLiteâ„¢ Strollers Due to Risk of Entrapment and Strangulation; Four Infant Strangulation Deaths Reported [CPSC.gov]

Comments

1. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

“to infants younger than 12 months of age, when a child is not harnessed”

Duh.

2. qbubbles says:

And cue the 10,000 emails from well meaning family members asking me if I own this stroller… despite the fact that I had my kid 12 days ago and this stopped being sold 3 years ago.

• Gramin says:

qbubbles… Aunt Mae here… just want to make sure you heard about that Graco stroller recall. We don’t want little Johnny getting hurt. Call me later.

• rpm773 says:

Hey, watch out for those strollers made out of drywall. I heard they have all sorts of lead in them and can explode.

• MeOhMy says:

The best is when they don’t catch the brand and they are just like “OMG STROLLERS! STOP USING STROLLERS!”

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Yeah, but did you stop using the stroller?

• travel_nut says:

Hey, it’s Uncle Bert. Have you heard about the stroller recall? Stop using yours just in case.

(Congrats on the new baby!)

3. Giles says:

I’m sorry but I see this over and over again. Why should a company need to issue recalls to cover the lowest common denominator? Seriously use some damn common sense and if there is a harness for the kids to use, USE IT!

Sorry today has been stressful already and this is ridiculous.

4. Macgyver says:

So these companies should be held responsible for others bad parenting?
    If your baby passes through opening, if nobody’s fault but your own.

5. mandy_Reeves says:

Death stroller: The stroller that eats babies.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Not to be confused with the Ed Hardy-branded stroller, which just has skull and bone decals all over it.

6. Burzmali says:

They shouldn’t be issuing recalls for something that is only problematic if not used properly. If the kid isn’t strapped in, then he or she is at risk. Otherwise, everything is fine. This recall is absurd.

• Gramin says:

Huh???? Really? So you’d give your 6 month old a Lego set? They shouldn’t put those pieces in their mouth, so what’s the problem?

Or how about we just get rid of airbags… you shouldn’t have ran into that car. We shouldn’t provide safety measures for something that is only problematic if not used correctly.

• msbask says:

I think you misunderstood because your analogy is way off.

This recall is more like the government recalling 2M car seats because 4 children died when they were not strapped into the car seats and became projectiles in an accident. That is absurd.

7. D0rk says:

Just sent this to my sister who has a Graco and a 1.5 yr old. Just in case. Thanks for this

8. ralenn says:

Getting their “repair kit” is an arduous process. The recall section of the website hasn’t been updated with this recall, which forces you to call the toll-free number. After jumping through numerous automated menus (and listening to a list of the ENTIRE range of recalled model numbers in your model.) you leave a recorded message with your name and address. I would have preferred to talk to an actual person, honestly.

9. evilpete says:

heh, good timing

any stroller that was made before 2007 is most likely in a landfill by now
    ( most stroller do not last to long use to mold from the sh*t, piss, vomit, ice cream etc… )

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Hey, if the soap and water doesn’t clean it…you can always break out with the permanent mark to cover over the not so easy to get out stains. Hey, I’m not buying another one of those damn things just so my 1 year old (who I’m sure could careless what it looks like) can sh*t, piss, vomit, etc. all over that one too.

• jaya9581 says:

I know I’m late to the party, but I have to disagree – my two strollers are about 10 years old now and they look lovely (A Peg Milano and a Graco Coachrider). Maybe you should take more care with your strollers.

10. JonBoy470 says:

Actually my wife and I owned one of these, old enough that it would have been in this recall. We used it for better part of five years continuously with our two older kids. It got the crap beaten out of it, including being thrown around the airport tarmac after we gate-checked it. It was actually a very robust, well-made product. We only bought a new one because the infant seat that went with the stroller was expired, and one of the wheels was broken (only held in by gravity) and the combined cost of a new car seat and replacement wheel was the same as buying a whole new travel system. We decided that matching, non-skanky upholstery between the pod and stroller was worth the incremental cost of zero.

11. SJPadbury says:

ZOMG, my 2 children both survived this deathtrap!

Oh, wait, that’s because I’m not a retard and actually strapped them in. Right.