What's Next For The Folks Behind Bacon Salt & Baconnaise?

J&D’s Foods is the company that has earned a spot in our heart (and arteries) with their products like Bacon Salt, Baconnaise, Bacon Lip Balm and bacon-flavored envelopes aren’t just sitting on their salty, smoked rumps. The company is hard at work at other products, and is also auctioning off this bacon bust of — who else? — Kevin Bacon.

In addition to Bacon Pop popcorn, Bacon Ranch dressing, there’s Bacon Baby formula (currently only available through a waiting list) and Rim Shot, a bacon-flavored salt for use on Bloody Mary glasses.

Believe it or not, J&D has recently ventured out of the bacon boundaries and released Malt Salt, which attempts to capture the taste of malt vinegar in salt form.

So what’s next?

Writes SeattlePI.com:

The “idea board” in [co-founder Dave] Lefkow’s office is still full. Bacon gravy is a yes. Bacon-flavored latte mix is a no — even as a novelty item.

“It was terrible, that’s what it was,” said [co-founder Justin] Esch…

“We have some more tricks up our sleeves that aren’t related to bacon,” [Lefkow] said.

As mentioned above, they are also auctioning off a “Bacon Kevin Bacon” statue on eBay, with all proceeds going to Ashley’s Team is a “non-profit, volunteer-driven organization with a simple mission: bring joy to childhood cancer patients and their families.”

The charity is named named for Lefkow’s daughter, who was recently diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

There’s only one day left to bid on the Bacon Kevin Bacon, but you can check out the auction here.

In the meantime, tell us what other bacon-licious products you’d like to see.

What’s next for the makers of ‘Baconnaise’ [SeattlePI.com]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“lymphoblastic”

Sounds completely made up, or a brand of popcorn.

• ninram says:

Don’t know if you were trying to be cute or really never heard of this type of cancer…

Acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) is a type of blood cancer. Other names for ALL are acute lymphoblastic leukemia and acute lymphoid leukemia.

About 5,330 people in the United States are expected to be diagnosed with ALL in 2010. It is the most common type of leukemia in children under age 20. The risk of getting ALL increases in people ages 45 and older. However, people can get ALL at any age.

Most children with ALL are cured of their disease after treatment.

2. Alvis says:

Time to genetically engineer that shit into vegetables.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Bacon-flavored celery!!!! Burn calories while you eat that crispy goodness!!!

3. quijote says:

Bacon cream cheese might be good. That probably already exists.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

One of the best things I have ever tasted is a bagel with cream cheese, tomato, and bacon.

4. chefboyardee says:

Got my shipment of Malt Salt yesterday (I already own all the flavors of Bacon Salt, and one of everything else they sell). In true JD form, it’s absolutely incredible.

5. BarkIsNutritious says:

I thought it was Conan O’Brien.

6. aquanetta says:

What’s incredible is that most of the J&D products are vegan.

I had their Bacon Pop the other day. It should’ve been called “I can’t believe it’s not lard.” It was somehow more bacon-y than the popcorn I make on the stove with actual bacon fat, and possibly more delicious.

• caradrake says:

Someone tried telling me that baconnaise is vegan a couple of weeks ago. I looked at the ingredients list, and egg yolks are listed. Wouldn’t that make the product non-vegan?

This may not apply to their other bacon products, which I haven’t looked into. Your comment just made me remember that dispute.

• Slave For Turtles says:

I will attest that their popcorn is incredibly yummy. The only drawback is the somewhat overcooked bacon smell that haunts my microwave for days. I still can’t believe it’s vegan. Just wow!

7. sonneillon says:

Isn’t it time your tongue took a sh*t in your mouth?

8. Difdi says:

Bacon-flavored lettuce and tomatoes! Make your BLT even more B!

9. Portlandia says:

Kevin Bacon? It looks more like the statues from Easter Island!

10. foofad says:

I love bacon salt – but unfortunately I rarely use it because it has MSG in it. :( Or at least it did when I bought it last; admittedly, quite a while ago.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

There is a “Natural” Bacon Sald with no MSG (and no hydrogenated oils, which is why I buy it).

11. Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

America demands bacon flavored condoms!!!!!!!!!!

12. Big Mama Pain says:

I finally can BUY malt salt instead of making it? It’s so awesome on french fries, rather than spraying malt vinegar on and getting them soggy. But anyway, the bacon fad is SO over, time to move on to the next hot foodie item. The salts would be good because culinary cocktails are becoming really popular.

13. StutiCebriones says:

I’ve bought a bunch of their products via Woot and can’t understand why their gross little jars of salt, paprika, and unpronounceable chemicals are popular. I spat out the few tastes I took. Garbage.

• Daverson says:

Agreed. Bacon salt is nothing more than cheap-ass salt with artificial smoke flavor added, cleverly named to ride the currently popular Bacon Meme.

I give them props for their marketing skillz, but I’m never again going to buy any of their overpriced shit products.

• Silverhawk says:

I agree. I love bacon, and I bought all the flavors of Bacon Salt when they first came out. I totally bought their marketing hype about how they had worked so hard to make it really, really, taste just like bacon. Too bad it didn’t. It’s awful stuff. I’ll never buy their products again.

14. MikeM_inMD says:

MALT SALT?!?!? No more soggy fries!!!!!!!!!

15. stevekuze says:

bacon yogurt

16. jayde_drag0n says:

OMG I want malt salt!!!

17. cloudedknife says:

given the kosher hecsher they have on their products, I’m pretty sure they only harm coming to your arteries is from the mayonnaise in the baconnaise…which is soooooo delicious. takes the kosher turkey blt from “meh” to “zomg *drool*!!”

18. Jfielder says:

Apparently no one here has seen JD’s Bacon Baby formula….

19. diasdiem says:

I vote for bacon mouthwash.

20. aloria says:

I have a great idea. Leave things as they are and stop it with all the bacon hype. Yes, I get it, bacon is delicious. What are you, five?

21. brandy says:

They also worked with Lollyphile to create bacon-flavored lollipops (which happen to be vegan, oddly): http://www.lollyphile.com/

Flavors: chocolate, maple, and *caffeinated* maple.

22. Spaceboss says:

None of their products taste like bacon to me. Not even a little. Bacon Salt tastes like the powder on BBQ-flavored potato chips, which is kind of delicious, but not bacon.

Also, bacon gravy exists in the South(ern US); and red-eye gravy, which has coffee in it. Let’s make gravy the next big food meme.