Liquor Could Soon Be Flowing 24/7 At Chicago Airports

Last month, we wrote about Chicago mayor Richard Daley’s proposal to allow airport restaurants to sell booze from push carts in the terminals. But now, as that edges closer to becoming a reality, the proposal has expanded to also permit 24/7 booze sales at these establishments.

Currently, restaurants and bars at O’Hare and Midway airports are forbidden from selling alcohol between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. Mondays through Saturdays and from 3 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Sundays

The proposal has been approved by the city’s aldermen and now awaits a City Council vote.

While only a limited number of push cart licenses will be made available at O’Hare and Midway, all restaurants with current liquor licenses would be allowed to take advantage of the extended serving hours.

If O’Hare does go for 24-hour booze service, how long until this guy tries to spend an entire day soaking up suds?

‘Last call’ may be canceled at O’Hare, Midway [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. osiris73 says:

While I’m all for this idea in principle, you know full well that the prices are going to be exorbitant.

2. smo0 says:

People will come to the airport after last call…..

(PS. I never knew what last call was until I moved from Vegas to Chicago for school….)

I feel sad for you :”(

• osiris73 says:

Problem is that to get into the area where they sell the booze, you have to have a ticket for a flight that day.

• econobiker says:

There was no last call in bars in the same county as Atlantic City, NJ and its casinos.

A+ win for college era drinking cheap at a bar in say, Margate, NJ, from 10pm to 6am and emerging like a drunken vampire into the morning sunrise light…

3. bhr says:

I detest flying, I either like being overtired or a little buzzed before takeoff.

I flew out of Midway once on a early Sunday connection to Duluth MN on a prop plane after an unexpected overnight stay in the airport (plane came in too late to make connection). I would have willingly killed three people for a couple shots that morning.

• tbax929 says:

I fly 3-4 times a year and am still a white-knuckle flyer. I always have a couple of drinks and two Valium before I fly. I know my fear is irrational, but those seem to help me get through it.

4. SkokieGuy says:

So when the bars close at 5pm on Saturday night, everyone heads to O’hare?

5. evilrobot says:

Can we section the planes to have the screaming children section mixed with the all-night drinking crowd?

I still hate you all-night drinking guy that sat behind me from Dallas to SFO. Fingers crossed that you have asphyxiated on your own vomit by now. /bitter grudge

6. rpm773 says:

Is there really that great of a groundswell clamoring for booze at these times? When I’ve been unlucky enough to be at O’Hare this late (or this early), there weren’t many people milling around to begin with.

7. pop top says:

I’m not sure this is a such a good idea. I mean, I don’t want to sound like a stick in the mud or anything, but I don’t think people should be allowed to get drunk before getting on a plane (or get drunk while they’re on the plane for that matter). I understand that some people are afraid of flying and do better with a little booze in them, but can’t they take medication for that instead? At least that way you’ll be sleepy, instead of possibly annoying, belligerent, violent, angry, physically ill, etc. That kind of behavior in a confined space where you can’t get away from it is unacceptable. At least when you go to a bar, you’re expecting that some people will act that way.

Quick story: Some friends of mine went on a trip back in March to Phoenix and a very obviously inebriated man got on the plane and threw up ALL OVER right after take off. He got it all over himself, his rowmates, the people in front of him, and the vomit got all over the carry-ons on the floor behind him. The plane was full so there was nowhere for anyone to move to, and everyone was covered in vomit and couldn’t adequately clean themselves or their stuff, and the plane reeked of vomit for the rest of the flight.

• smo0 says:

I think straight up wino-intoxication is bad, yes…. I rarely ever see that… even on flights from somewhere to back home (vegas, where the only times I encountered drunk people were on these flights…) were not that bad….
      Sorry for your friend’s crappy plane ride…

But the side effects from some of the medications people take to be on a plane are far worse than a couple of shots…. even if you do end up with a hangover – it’s nothing some starchy food, water and a couple of aspiriin can’t cure….

Personally, I have one of their cheap, small bottles of wine and nap most of the flight….

• Big Mama Pain says:

Usually, they won’t allow someone who is obviously intoxicated to board, so how unfortunate that the ball was dropped in your friend’s case! Did anyone complain about this person? That might have taken care of it.

I know what you mean about taking meds, but that requires a prescription, and a couple of cocktails don’t. I flown a lot, and I hardly ever see anyone totally blotto; I think most people have the common sense to keep it under control.

8. rpm773 says:

But they already can get loaded before the flight, and do all those things that you mentioned.

The only thing this law changes is that now they can do it if the flight leaves at 3am.

9. Joseph S Ragman says:

There’s already a problem with assholes periodically getting shit-faced prior to boarding, then causing trouble during the flight … sure, let’s solve that problem by allowing more/easier access to alcohol

• econobiker says:

Those idiots typically are fueled by the free airline lounge booze for ultra frequent fliers.

• Phil Villakeepinitrreal says:

It’s not any more or less available now than it will be if this passes. This simply remove the whopping five hour gap in which people couldn’t drink. I don’t see any reason that would change a thing.

10. Speak says:

Does that mean that they will also be able to sell food (and not just pre-made salads / sandwiches) past 9pm? The last time I flew threw O’hare I got in later then scheduled (big surprise I know) so I got there after 9pm. All the food service in the terminal I was in shut down at 9, including the fast food. Because my flight to O’hare was delayed, and they wouldn’t give a definite time for take-off, I didn’t leave the area from my originating airport so I couldn’t get food there before taking off.

11. JpMaxMan says:

Open your minds people. Chicago O’Hare is a major international airport. People are on connections from all over the world on a variety of time zones. It is the worst of America that wants to dictate when one can or should enjoy a tasty adult beverage. Get off your pedestal and join me for a beer.

12. mc_900_ft_jedi says:

“…are forbidden from selling alcohol between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m. Mondays through Saturdays and from 3 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Sundays”

The time restrictions are set by Illinois state law (and could be, too, by Chicago city law; duplications abound you know).

The City Council can approve but the state can taketh away.