Skreekaboosploosh! A large cut and 20 small cuts blossomed on consumer journalist Bob Sullivan’s body as his tempered glass shower door exploded all around him.
As he dug into the issue, it turned out that its not that uncommon for tempered glass door to shatter, whether on impact, or spontaneously. The heating process that turn glass into safety glass makes it resistant to direct impact, but also more susceptible to side impact. Here are some important maintenance tips to make sure your tempered glass doors don’t blow up:
- Make sure all the panels are tightly affixed to the door system.
- Every so often make sure the fasteners on the shower door hardware are tight and snug.
- Check the bumpers and seals to make sure the glass panel doesn’t touch the wall or metal when you move it.
- Check the door for chips or cracks, especially edges, notches and holes. If you see any chips or cracks, replace the door pronto.
- Do not put any weight on the shower door grab bar.
Shattered! The danger hanging in your bathroom [The Red Tape Chronicles]