JetBlue Now Selling Food On Longer Flights

JetBlue is getting into the box-o-food business on flights longer than 3 hours 45 minutes, it announced yesterday. The boxes are priced at $6 each, and there are supposed to be five different styles, including a “Wake Up” box with breakfasty food, a “Cheer Up” box with cheeses and fruit, and a “Shut Up” box that’s filled with nothing but peanut butter and saltines. (I may have made up that last one.) Fortunately for frugal travelers, the airline plans to continue offering free snacks as well, but they probably won’t tell you what to do as decisively as the boxes.

“Wake Up, Beef Up, Power Up, Shape Up or Cheer Up now!” [HelloJetBlue.com]

Comments

1. FatLynn says:

I think these should all be marked, “fatten up”.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Exactly. Shape Up and Cheer Up are the only ones that aren’t totally packed with junk.

2. Etoiles says:

The boxed meal on Virgin America wasn’t bad, actually, and their in-seat ordering system was pretty convenient, so I don’t mind seeing jetBlue (my airline of choice) going this route.

That said, the vast majority of my flights are under 90 minutes and go up and down the east coast, so I don’t eat much on them. ;)

3. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Does the 3 hours and 45 minutes mean actual time, or how long they say your flight will take? because those two numbers can be literally DAYS apart.

4. AllanG54 says:

Nothing like paying six bucks for two dollars worth of food. If I’m on the plane that long, I’ll bring my own. It’s still cheaper and usually fresher to buy in the terminal that to eat who knows how old airline food.

• thewildboo says:

If you look at their page that shows what’s in each of the boxes, it’s actually pretty generous for $6. Still more expensive than BYO, but cheaper than the airport for sure.

5. HRGirl wants a cookie says:

Jet Blue niche seems to be “accessible fanciness”. $6 isn’t bad if i’ve forgotten to grab a sandwich before boarding and least the stuff in these meal boxes looks edible. Big difference from the last time I flew Delta and watched a family with 4 little kids pay $8 each for sugar and preservative laden Lunchables which the brats proceeded to throw at each other.

6. QuantumRiff says:

Chris you need to work at an airline.. You are soo close to a perfect meal. But you need to adjust the offering a bit. Give out free Saltines and peanut butter, but charge for a knife, and for sodas and water.

7. Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

Those snacks actually don’t seem that bad. I wouldn’t mind paying $6 for something to munch on throughout the flight, especially if I have to bring a kid with me. Of course, a little foresight can save you most of the money, but it’s not bad if you didn’t bring your own snack.

8. Moongirl55 says:

I’ll take that Shut Up box for my seat mate, please, and a Bloody Mary for me. Make it a double.

9. Jnetty says:

We just had this on our flight to Vegas on Saturday and then back to JFK last night. The food looked okay.

I did notice two differences on how the crews work on giving out food.

On flight to Vegas they announced this new service after the emergency briefing. Once in the air they gave us sodas and free chips within 45 minutes and then went around asking if you wanted to buy this new food package.

On flight to NY they didn’t announce this new service. Once in the air, an hour and half later they asked if anyone wanted the new service, then gave out the food to those that bought it. Finally after that they went around and gave free drinks and chips.

10. SlappyWhite says:

JetBlue > any other airline.

I have nothing relevant to say about this article other than that.

11. ElizabethD says:

I haven’t flown in years. Do airlines still sell alcoholic beverages inflight? Just long flights? Just night flights?

12. loosethread230 says:

I had the Beef Up on my flight to LA from DC last week. Let’s just say the pictures look a lot better than the contents. Two tiny buckets of processed cheese that were supposed to be different but tasted the same, a tiny package of sliced salami the size of a quarter, two tiny packages of crackers that tasted like matzoh without the pizzaz, and a tiny package of dried apple slices that evaporated into thin air. I should have spent my $6 on a cocktail and drank my hunger away.

13. nautox says:

My Iceland air flight was $400 cheaper than anyone else (seattle to Amsterdam) but
    the food was expensive. The only free stuff were soft drinks.

14. jimmyhl says:

Maybe this is a good thing disguised as a not-so-good thing. When the crummy airline food was free, many of us (like me) ate it because it was free and there was nothing much else to do. Now that it’s not free, many of us (like me) will pass, saving 6 bucks and a so-so dining experience. Most of us (like me) can survive for 4 or 5 hours without a snack, especially a so-so snack.

15. PaniLisi says:

I have food allergies and the poor quality of airline food has taken me on the cheap route of bringing my own food on the plane.