Consumers Have More Trust In Companies That Tweet

A new survey shows that 75% of consumers think companies that tweet or post Facebook updates are more deserving of their trust than companies that don’t. The CEO of Fleishman-Hillard, which conducted the survey with Harris Interactive, says he thinks it shows that companies need to respond to crises much more openly and quickly than in years past: “Not in a 24-hours news cycle, but in minute-to-minute monitoring.”

“Consumers say: ‘In tweets we trust'” [Reuters]

Comments

1. Angus99 says:

A PR and Marketing firm released a survey saying companies should use Twitter and Facebook? I’m shocked!

2. odarkshineo says:

eh, I kinda get that. I usually only post/follow products/companies i care about and like to begin with…except AT&T! I tend to not order from any companies that don’t have webpages, or nice webpages, and if I can jump on facebook and tell them if their product was great/sucks even better. Let’s be honest tho 10 – 1 people complain more then they compliment which makes it hard to go by reviews/discussions.

3. bdcw says:

“The Big Lie (German: Große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, for a lie so “colossal” that no one would believe that someone “could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously.”

4. Dustbunny says:

Speaking of Twitter…I once tweeted something complimentary about Zappo’s & within minutes they tweeted back, thanking me & emailing me a 10% off coupon.

5. WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

The question to me (outside of the bias inherent in a PR company saying companies should tweet as brought up by Angus99), is whether companies that tweet are percieved as better because they tweet, or if better companies are more likely to be more open with their consumers and use Twitter and Facebook as a means of furthering their relationship?

6. aloria says:

I was bitching on Twitter about how the Purex 3-in-1 laundry sheets left softener spots all over my clothes and got an @-reply from Purex advising me to call their 800 number. Didn’t even know they had a twitter.

Their laundry sheets still suck, though.

7. Vanilla5 says:

I think a company with an active Twitter account (meaning more tweets than once a month and have back-and-forths with other Twitter users/customers) is more likely going to be interested in what their customers and other folks out their need, want, don’t like, etc. It’s not exactly putting a face on the company but it’s a different avenue if there are issues or if you just want to give them props.

Companies/organizations I’ve had success with via Twitter:
    Comcast (I know – shocking, right?)
    Associated Press (style guide questions – as part of work)
    Sweetwater Brewing Company

Companies I have not had success with:
    XM Satellite Radio – blaming a bill payment issue on me? For 4 months? Not the best way to go, yo.

• webweazel says:

Evidently, after reading Consumerist for a while now, I think twitter is the ONLY way to get Comcast to respond in a helpful manner. Call them on the phone with a problem, and be ready for a 4 hour transfer-circle hell of service eunuchs who tell you to go sit on it and twirl. What about those who do not twitter and have ZERO interest in doing it at all? I guess we’re screwed.

8. nbs2 says:

“Not I,” said the duck.

9. xxmichaelxx says:

“A new survey shows that 75% of consumers think…”
    It show nothing of the sort. Even the Reuters story only says “75% of people surveyed”. No mention of who was surveyed or the methodology.

I’d be shocked to learn that more than 30% of consumers even know what Twitter is.

10. Macgyver says:

Twitter sucks.
    I would never use it for anything.
    These companies that uses it, use that twit or text speak, or whatever the hell they all it. That’s just stupid.
    If you’re running a business, you shouldn’t be writing like a 15 year old, you should write like a grown up, where people can understand what you’re saying.

11. Arthur Pennant says:

What the?
    I’d be less inclined to trust a company that takes Facebook seriously. Twitter is a different matter, since I see it as a form of blogging. And I’ve occasionally run across interesting posts on company blogs.

12. wenhaver says:

Every time I order pizza from Papa John’s using their website (they’re the only ones that deliver out by me), I have issues with the website. This has happened in different states, on different bandwidth, and on different equipment so I’m fairly sure it’s them and not me. Anyway, every time I have issues, I tweet about it. I know they have an active account, and yet I’ve never once heard anything back from them. Jerks.

13. legolex says:

After I purchased our Samsung LCD I immediately added them to my twitter just in case there ever was a problem. Dooce inspired me with the whole her vs. Maytag thing.

14. gopena says:

I think it’s a false perception of QA and customer service. Just because a company tweets, doesn’t make it a good company, or one with better customer service, it just makes it one with a twitter jockey.

15. stlbud says:

“There’s a sucker born every minute.” Seems that more information is just more opportunities for more BS.