Advertiser Stuck With Ironic Tiger Woods Ads Fires Him

Remember this ad? It was in the Wall Street Journal the day after Tiger Woods crashed his car and unleashed a torrent of trashy mistresses on an unsuspecting nation? Yeah, it was for Accenture. Now that company has decided that Tiger Woods is bad for its reputation.

“After careful consideration and analysis, the company has determined that he is no longer the right representative for its advertising,” Accenture said, adding that “it wishes only the best for Tiger Woods and his family

The ads in question featured Mr. Woods with a variety of slogans including, “Go on, be a Tiger,” which used to mean, “Be awesome at golfing and being rich.” Now it means “have bad taste in female companionship.” Tee hee.

In a round up of other endorsement deals the AP reports the following:

Gillette: Will not air Tiger Woods commercials or have him at public events for the time being.

EA: Isn’t going to do anything. New Tiger Woods game in 6 months.

Tag Heuer: “Does not care” about Tiger’s private life and notes that he is still the world’s best golfer.

AT&T: Still evaluating

Nike: Is glad he’s taking time off.

Accenture marks 1st sponsor to cut ties with Woods [Yahoo!] (Thanks,Dan!)

Comments

1. Tim says:

it wishes only the best for Tiger Woods and his family

Which one?

Lollerskates.

• cave12man says:

Lollerskates!?

Wow you just made my day. Kudos to whoever came up with that one. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to clean coffee off my shirt.

As for Tiger, prostitutes, they’re grrrrrrreat!!

• cave12man says:

Ok but seriously, Leave him alone. Yeah he made some bad mistakes concerning his personal life, but he’s still one of the greats which is why he gets sponsored by who he does; and they made the initial decision to sponsor him based on his golfing ability not because he’s a stand up guy. Professional and personal relationships should be kept separate.

2. rpm773 says:

If EA won’t change the title of the new Tiger Woods game, perhaps they’ll change the game to reflect a more accurate depiction of Tiger Woods’ golf lifestyle.

3. FatLynn says:

Put me in the “does not care” column. No, I’m not an advertiser, but I’m sure as hell not surprised.

4. From the cubicle of PGibbons says:

Only in America. Funny how this stupid story is such big news. I’d rather such attention and investigation be devoted to the Insurance companies and their bought polititions derailing national healthcare. Could care less who a rich golfer sleeps with, it’s his business and that of his family. (The ironic ads are amusing, though only because companies put him on a pedestal in order to convince us he is somehow superior to us).

• SunnyLea says:

Oh, god. The cult of celebrity has been with us as long as there have been, well people probably, but certainly as long as we’ve had printing presses.

And certainly longer than America, the country you claim this can only happen in, existed as we know it.

• CheritaChen says:

It may not be a new phenomenon, but I have to agree with Peter on America’s unfortunate growing penchant for turning gossip into “news.” Yes, the British rags have long been infamous for their trash talk, but speaking as an observer from our side of the pond, I just don’t picture the BBC turning some athlete’s personal family issues into headline news the way our national–supposedly serious news–media have done with this story, or any of the last hundred unfortunate celebrities who happened to demonstrate their fallible human nature in some way. CNN, MSNBC, the nightly network news–they all keep reporting this crap, as if it had any impact on the world outside the celeb’s door, as if there were nothing else we ought to be informed about in its stead, as if they’ve really discarded the notion that news should not be based on its titillation value.

• NYGuy1976 says:

Wrong. The BBC has this story on their sites front page.

• CheritaChen says:

Hey, I didn’t say I thought they’d ignore the story completely. I notice that this is about the loss of the sponsorship, and (at least as of just now when I looked) is listed under the sports section. It’s not in the “Top Stories” section currently, and I stand by my perception that we are a bit more nationally shallow and clueless than the rest of the world.

• harrier666 says:

The Beckhams? Diane? Charles? The only reason the US may appear to be more obsessed is we have a lot more people and therefore news in general. Both sides of the pond, and pretty much everywhere else, are obsessed with celebrity. It’s much easier to complain about some guy with a sex drive than to face the real issues facing your day to day life.

5. Andrew360 says:

I’m not a golf person, although I used to take lessons, but I really don’t care about Tiger.

If he had sex, on camera, with every person (male and female) in the United States, I still wouldn’t care. Why does he deserve this much press?

Oh, and if you have had sex with Tiger Woods, get tested. You don’t know where that thing has been.

• YOXIM says:

If Tiger had sex with every person in the United States, you would definitely have a reason to care, as you would be one of those people. Unless you don’t live in the U.S. (didn’t bother to check), in which case this does not apply to you : D

6. bullseye says:

I for one have had enough of the Tiger Woods saga! Sad that people are more enthralled with scandal, then the real problems facing this country!

7. hypnotik_jello says:

I didn’t really get why a golfer was the pitch man for Accenture a global consulting firm. One thing has nothing to do with the other….

8. pop top says:

I love how people are so ready to jump all over Tiger and denounce him and completely believe that the women who [are being paid large amounts of money when they] claim they slept with him are telling the truth. It’s so sad and pathetic that people are chomping at the bit to tear this guy down Whether or not he did cheat on his wife has no bearing on this. I think a lot of people are just taking joy out of seeing this man’s life get so fucked up.

I also think it has something to do with his race and the fact the he was the first minority to get so far in golf, plus the fact that all of his supposed mistresses are White (I loved Rush Limbaugh’s quote about that too, totally not racist). But that’s a discussion for Jezebel or something…

• morlo says:

Schadenfreude. His choice of women was so poor, however, that he only has himself to blame, though he was probably warped by his upbringing/training. (If the women were lying he would hit them with libel suits)

• pop top says:

What was wrong with his upbringing? Did his parents abuse him or something? I don’t see anything like that mentioned on his Wiki bio…

Also, libel suits in this country are very hard to prove (especially since it’s hard to prove a negative). If they were easier to do, like in Britain, then we wouldn’t have as many tabloid mags as we do.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

From what I have read, he grew up in a very loving and supportive home. I’ve read some interviews with his father, and it was clear in those interviews that his military background (Vietnam war vet and Special Forces) and natural athleticism are what made Tiger Woods such a preeminant golfer. And his education on all sorts of things like drugs and discipline helped. Parents can only help shape who their children become – children inevitably choose their own paths.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

Um, not what I read… I remember even years back, his father was criticized for his arrogance and intensity in trying to make Tiger a golf star. I don’t doubt that racism may have played a part in his criticism, but also that he wouldn’t be the first “sports father” (“stage mother”) of any race or background. Remember what happened to Jennifer Capriati?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

What’s fascinating to me is that I’m pretty sure Asian people aren’t allowed to “claim” Tiger Woods, but African Americans sure can, and do. It would be awfully nice to tell a lot of mixed race kids (without getting incredulous looks in return) that despite what nearly every magazine, newspaper, and website says, Tiger Woods and Barack Obama are indeed mixed race and not only African American. Asian people and Caucasian (read: white European) people have had their fair share of strifle and struggle as well. We’re all immigrants, when it comes down to the basic fact. It’s strange that the mix-race heritage of both men isn’t mentioned usually, and people prefer to simply call them African American…;I mean, their achievements are just as impressive if you knew they were mixed race, right?

• JulesNoctambule says:

Kids of mixed ethnicity also get a lot of pressure to identify with one parent or the other, which can get stressful. I have a friend who is Italian on her mother’s side and Puerto Rican on her father’s; while she may look more Hispanic to others, she herself identifies as Italian. Lots of people think it’s their place to ‘correct’ her on this based on her appearance.

On the other side of that, my nieces have Filipino and Chinese heritage but, like me, look like an average white person. People think it’s their place to accuse them of lying, or to insist their mother is really their nanny (which also happened to me as a kid). When I was little, I was actually given to the wrong parent at daycare more than once, and always worried someone would try to take me away from my mother because our skin doesn’t match. I’d be thrilled if, in my lifetime, it would become acceptable to identify as all your heritage no matter what you look like.

• thetroubleis says:

I’m not the spokes person for black America or anything, but a lot of the “black media” already wasn’t a fan of Tiger before this went down. The media in general just likes to latch on to stories that have sex in the,.

Besides Rush saying racist things isn’t anything new, it’s just another day on planet earth.

• magic8ball says:

You may need to define “minority” and “get so far in gof.” I am far from being a golf fan, but even I can think of a couple of names of pro golfers who appear to be non-Caucasian (Vijay Singh, Michelle Wie). I’m assuming that since I’ve actually heard of them in spite of having zero interest in golf, they must have been somewhat successful.

9. jesusofcool says:

I’m no puritan, so every time something like this comes up, I generally end up wondering why the media is making it into such a big deal. It’s not like I support, watch or even vote for somebody because they’re a great person in their private life, I do it because they’re good at their job.

10. Colonel Jack O'neill says:

I don’t care, he cheated, so what. Millions of people do it every damn day.

• tonberryqueen says:

I think that’s the point. He was made into this demi-god. He was driven and at the top of his profession, and an image as a family man with loads of integrity was created.

Now that everyone sees that he’s human and basically a regular guy who happens to be a talented pro-athlete, people are either a) disappointed that he’s not as unique and superior as everyone was led to believe or b) thrilled that he’s not so above them after all. Either way, people are hooked.

11. MercuryPDX says:

I was just saying last week that EA wouldn’t drop him because I can’t name another pro-golfer famous enough to be worthy of the franchise… and they can’t either.

12. Alter_ego says:

I don’t really care about sports, so this applies less for sports, but when it comes to musicians and actors, I try to ignore what’s going on in their personal lives as much as possible. I don’t care about the personal lives of other people who provide services to me for money, why should I care about entertainers who entertain me for money?

13. milty456 says:

HAHAHA…i was part of a consumer survey for Accenture and this ad campaign about 3 months ago…

14. solareclipse2 says:

Man, this is still “news”? Didn’t care when Bill did it, sure as hell don’t care when Tiger did it. If they want to pull their ads with Tiger in them they could have done it with a little more class. I personally used the angle that he’s taking time off from golf and we’re marketing him based on his association with that sport. No golf = no ads.

15. Jacquilynne says:

It’s a shame I have no need for a new watch. I have a sudden desire to purchase something from Tag Heuer.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I know. If I wore watches and if Mr. Pi wouldn’t lose a watch, I would probably consider buying a Tag Heuer. Then again, they have to look at their customer base and realize that most people buying Tag Heuers on a consistent basis really do not give a crap about Tiger Woods’ private life. They care that he’s a very good golfer.

• pop top says:

Yeah, I’m sure they’re like, “Wow, if I would’ve known I didn’t need to pay my mistresses and could have as many as I wanted, life would be less complicated!” ;)

• Coelacanth says:

I would hope that most people who buy Tag Hauers do so under the belief they’re good watches – not because of some irrelevant celebrity. Then again, this is America.

• RvLeshrac says:

Same here. If I could afford a Tag Heuer, I’d run out and buy one. Not because Tiger Woods is the sponsor, but because they’re choosing to stick by him since *the reason they hired him in the first place* hasn’t changed. I read their statement as “Why would you even bother asking us such an idiotic question?”

16. _hi_ says:

if he cheats on his wife would he cheat at golf? Hmmm… remote control golf ball anyone?

Sure this one zigs and zags, but couldn’t they make one that works perfect?

17. CTAUGUST says:

Many of these sponsors will quietly drop Woods months from now, when the media has stopped watching their every move. It will then be barely mentioned… smart move.

18. Xeos says:

Why Mr. Wood’s personal life would ever be evaluated or his endorsements as an athlete is beyond me. Leave the guy’s personal life out of this.

19. Corporate_guy says:

Basically if the company is doing bad in the economy, they are using this to dumb an expensive advertising deal with tiger. If the company is doing good or unaffected, they are still keeping him.

Basically, expect any company dumping Tiger to fail in the next two years.

20. d0x360 says:

Who cares what Tiger does in his bedroom? He is endorsing products because he is the worlds best Golfer, not the worlds best husband.

21. SW says:

I find it funny that a company that specializes in the destruction of the American work force has morals…

22. clamjuice says:

I have a Mint Sports Illustustrated “man of the year” Magazine (Tiger ),,,what does this do to it’s value? Damn! First my 401K and now this..

23. shaken_bake says:

I was traveling through an airport a few days after the scandal broke and came across an ad for Accenture showing Tiger looking over a cliff at an errant shot. The caption read “It’s what you do next that counts.” I took a photo of it, it was too timely!

24. PanCake BuTT says:

Poor Tiger, got caught out there for being a sloppy, typical, over sexed man. Mega harsh…but at least he’s paid…and will always be so.

I don’t understand, you’ve got fame, crazy cheddar, and your semi-young…why in the ‘ell would you go out and get hitched. What are you, some sort of big DUMMY ?!?!?!?

25. H3ion says:

Sounds like roads are not the only thing he’s been paving. Jack Nicklaus said it best when he said it was none of his business.

26. akuma_619 says:

Big fucking deal not like he did anything really bad. Everybody has their own types of morals and thresholds. Not like he killed anyone or hurt anyone or ran a dog fighting ring. Its a family matter and the rest of America should butt the fuck out.

27. Red Cat Linux says:

I’m in the Tag Heuer column too. I try to ignore what happens in sports/celebrity lives. I’m sure that there is a whole industry of celeb reporting that hopes that this attitude isn’t catching, but the only time I have any interest in it is when the whole thing becomes such a freak show that it’s too lulzy not to read about it.

When the news first broke the first thing I thought was “He’s married?” which was immediately followed by “Somehow, I don’t think she was trying to get him out of the car with that golf club…”

Accenture dropping him is even funnier. Is it possible for a company to have a nervous tick? After the whole Enron thing, these guys are probably easily freaked out.

28. krunk4ever says:

What about Gatorade which has a brand of drinks named after Tiger?

• Red Cat Linux says:

Gives you the energy to juggle a career as a golf god, several slightly freaky, opportunistic mistresses, an angry golf-club wielding wife and two kids (who are probably the only victims in this mess).

29. David in Brasil says:

Gillette is still running ads with Tiger Woods here in Brasil. I saw one just last night. Of course, he’s not out front – he’s behind Theriot and Kaka.

And you can’t tell me that that these sponsors, Tiger’s handlers, and his agents didn’t know this was going on all along. He didn’t even try to hide it, in many cases. Of course, now that the Tiger’s out of the bag, so to speak, they want nothing to do with him. It’s all about his “privacy” – he only wants to be in the pubic eye on his own terms.