Hard Rock Sends Collectible Glasses To Make Up For Gaffe

A mix-up at the Hard Rock Cafe gift shot left Simon with different keepsake booze glasses than the ones he tried to buy. He sent a letter to the restaurant’s GM, who made things right. Simon writes:

Just thought I would drop you an E-mail about an experience I had with the hard rock café in Washington DC this week.

My mother and I went on vacation to Washington DC over thanksgiving this year. WE had dinner one night at the Hard Rock Café there. The service, food and drinks were all great. WE both purchased drinks that came in the collectors hurricane glasses. After the meal when we went to pick up the glasses in the store we showed our receipt to the cashier and she put 2 glasses in a bag for us and we did some other shopping. Fast forward to 7 days later when I unpacked the glasses and found out that the hurricane glasses were actually pilsner glasses. While I do not have a problem with this, one of the glasses was for my sister who is collecting them. Yes I know I should have probably checked them sooner. I live in NJ so I could not easily go back to the café and make a switch.

I sent the following e-mail to the customer service address on the Hard Rock Café Website.

“Good Afternoon,

My mother and I recently visited your Hard Rock Café Location in Washington DC on Friday November 27th 2009. . We had a good experience with the waiter and the food and drink were both good.

We purchased 2 Hurricane drinks in 2 collectors glasses. We picked up the glasses in the gift store after we finished our meal. However I opened the boxes for the glasses today and both glasses are pilsner glasses and not the Hurricane glasses. One of the glasses was for my sister who collects the hurricane glasses. Is there anything that can be done about this to get a hurricane glass from the Washington DC store. WE live in Lawrenceville, NJ and were only in Washington for a small vacation.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.”

About an hour later I got a phone call from a general manager of the café who said someone had forwarded him my e-mail about the mishap. He was sorry that this happened and he would be sending out 2 hurricane glasses within the next couple of days to make it right. On top of that I can keep the 2 pilsner glasses.

I really did not expect anything to happen and especially not as soon as it did. I am very pleased with the Hard Rock and the handling of this situation.

Simon got a couple of free glasses out of the deal, thanks to follow-up customer service that rocked like a hurricane.

Comments

1. katstermonster says:

In before the commenters complaining that it was his own fault, and he’s taking advantage of the company, wah wah wah.

+1 for “Rock me like a hurricane” tag. LOL.

• lotussix says:

that’s not the impression i got from the article. at all.

i don’t think it was his fault, as most of the time the glasses are preboxed and the person at the gift shop probably just grabbed the wrong ones.

• simonr27 says:

I agree… I actually got a call from the manager of the DC location and he said that someone at the place did not follow the correct procedure. He said that the store cashier was supposed to take the glasses out of the box and inspect for damage before giving them to the customer. This did not happen.

• katstermonster says:

See above. This was a joke. I was preempting commenters who would have said those things. I don’t believe it at all.

• FatLynn says:

I don’t think he is taking advantage, because it sounds more like he was asking if he could do a trade, or even possibly purchase new ones by mail. He didn’t make demands or act entitled.

• katstermonster says:

Hey, um, I was making a joke. The “wah wah wah” was me imitating whining commenters who WOULD have said the things I did.

• MostlyHarmless says:

Did you even READ the article? NOWHERE does it say that he took unfair advantage of the company. And he wanted a shot glass. BIG FREAKING DEAL, its not his fault.

People like you make me sick. Always quick to blame the OP. I saw you on the Delta thread too. You sir, are an abomination.

• katstermonster says:

Sorry, I forgot the no joking on Mondays rule. Go get eaten by a giant leopard seal, will you???

• Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

How dare you make a joke on the interwebz! You have violated the laws of lulz! I must now pummel you severely about the head, neck and shoulders with my cardboard tubes!

2. FangDoc says:

The picture is of the Hard Rock Cafe at the Baltimore Inner Harbor. I’ve never been in it, but the Barnes & Noble next door (sign also in the picture) is much more awesome than a B&N has any right to be because the smokestacks continue down into the building. I go there far more for the architecture than the content.

Oh, and now I’m singing “Rock me like a hurricane.”

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I love the B&N at the power plant. It’s just stunning, especially for a big box bookstore. It is so fun to explore.

• Beef Supreme says:

Yep, they did an awesome job converting the old power plant into something semi-useful. I used to work downtown and that Barnes and Noble was great because it is open nice and late too!

• tbax929 says:

That’s one of my favorite places in the inner harbor. I haven’t been to Baltimore in a few years, but the B&N and Camden Yards are must-stops whenever I go there.

3. Awjvail says:

What the heck is with all the “WE”‘s? It’s we. or We. not WE.

4. leprofie says:

Hey, this photo is from the Baltimore, MD Hard Rock.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

- 1 for being touristy and eating at Hard Rock. There are plenty of better places to eat in D.C. – plus, was he actually going to give his sister a commemorative hurricane glass that he had previously used? I mean, I know we use glasses and wash them, and use them again, but it just seems kind of gross to give someone an already-used glass.

+ 1 for being polite to Hard Rock instead of getting really annoying and angry

• Awjvail says:

Well…. he WAS a tourist.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Well, she collects them. Might as well give her the glass if he didn’t really want it, right? My friend did custom made glasses for her wedding this past summer and I took a bunch of already used ones people didn’t want because I thought they were cool and I needed new glasses. Wash them out with hot water and soap, you’d never know people actually drank out of them.

I will say it’s poor form to give someone a glass that has already been used but try to pass it off as unused.

• Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

It actually doesn’t sound like the glasses were previously used.

“We picked up the glasses in the gift store after we finished our meal. However I opened the boxes for the glasses today and both glasses are pilsner glasses and not the Hurricane glasses.”

It sounds like their drinks came in regular glasses, and they received the collector’s glasses later.

• DanFromDetroit says:

FTA – “After the meal when we went to pick up the glasses in the store” pretty sure they were unused.

/the more you know

• DH405 says:

Did you notice the part about picking the glasses up in the GIFT SHOP and not the DISH BIN?

Drink from Glass A which is used by the restaurant. Glass A is taken off to be washed and continues to circulate as restaurant glassware. Go to gift shop, show receipt to clerk, and receive a brand new, probably protective-packaged, Glass B. Gift Glass B.

6. Eels says:

The Hard Rock is still in business?

7. Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

I certainly wouldn’t blame the OP here. It’s an honest mistake made by the person in the gift shop that wasn’t noticed until later. Simon sent quite a nice email and Hard Rock responded by tossing in a couple of extra collectible glasses to wow a customer.

Though I do wonder if any cheeky monkeys look at his bum when he shows us his drawerings.

8. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think where I’m getting hung up is this part: “WE both purchased drinks that came in the collectors hurricane glasses.” I’m just wondering whether they purposely bought glasses that came in the drinks, or what. Cause some restaurants do that. They advertise the glasses in the menu, and you get your drinks in those glasses. Then they clean them for you and take them to get packaged up so they won’t break. So I guess I thought that’s what was going on, not that he saw the glasses, liked them, and added the cost to his bill.

• LoveyH says:

My husband and I went to the HRC in Berlin in October, and he got a hurricane with his meal. They served it in the same kind of glass that he brought home, but gave him a boxed glass before we left. I think its so the customer can see what it is that they’re buying, but the kept (and presumably washed and re-used) the actual glass his drink was served in.

• riguitargod says:

Indeed it used to be that they cleaned your glass and give it to you, but in recent years, they have a supply that they reuse, and they mark on your receipt that you take it to the gift shop in exchange for a brand new glass.

Also, it seems like the OP was planning to get them as he says his sister collects them.

But that’s not to say they don’t try to bait you into getting the glasses, and charge you for drinks you don’t want.

• simonr27 says:

That is what we did. We purchased the drinks that came in those spcific glasses. AT the end of the meal the waiter told us to go to the store to get new glasses that had not been used at all by anyone. Thats when we got the pilsner glasses instead of the hurricane glasses. The cahseir did not check the glasses at all just bagged them and off we went.

9. Blueskylaw says:

The best time I ever had at a Hard Rock Cafe was in 1989 in West Berlin a few months before the wall fell. The Zeitgeist (spirit of the times) was incredible and people were partying like it was 1999.

10. HogwartsProfessor says:

They took care of the guy without any fuss and let him keep the mistake glasses? That is some boffo customer service. They have all but guaranteed he’ll return, and now he’s spread the word about how awesome that HRC is. Touristy or not, I’d go somewhere that rocks customer service the way that place does.

11. billsquared says:

Similar thing happened to me at the ESPN Zone restaurant in Atlanta a few years back. I purchased one of their pilsner glasses with the baseball between the vessel and the base, and the gift shop cashier reached behind her for a pre-wrapped one. When I got home from my business trip and unwrapped it, the one she had picked up had a basketball, not a baseball. A quick call to the restaurant, and a replacement was shipped off to me, and I was free to keep the “oops”.

12. soj4life says:

Let me also comment that the picture is from the Baltimore hard rock.