Black Friday Deals To X Out With A Red Pen

Gizmodo has sifted through all the Black Friday deals and found the ones to avoid.

The site’s Sean Fallon writes:

In other words, many of these “deals” really aren’t deals at all. Often, Black Friday sale products are priced differently between stores, or they are priced at or above deals you can find elsewhere any day of the week. You might see a particularly juicy deal in a flyer on a big ticket item like an HDTV, only to discover that the store only had a few units to sell. The bottom line is that you need to do your homework, and this is a good place to start.

Fallon tears apart the Best Buy Ad, finding much better deals on Motorola Droids, HDTVs and home theater receivers elsewhere.

Black Friday deals can be like people who can be described as “Monets” — they look good from afar, but up close are far from good.

Black Friday Anti-Deals: What Not To Buy [Gizmodo]

Comments

1. Kuchen says:

The Clueless reference made my morning. Thank you for that.

2. ngoandy says:

This article was pretty shocking. I figured the deals were either discount models or sold at a loss.

Though it makes sense, I’ve bought stuff ‘on sale’ which ended up being cheaper elsewhere at a regular price.

3. cptkincaid says:

To be honest it’s not fair to compare a retail location prices to web prices. Most of the time web pricing will be cheaper than retail stores. Virtually no overhead. Plus there are still a lot of people out there that won’t or can’t shop online.

4. G.O.B.: Come on! says:

shopping.google.com

LMGTFY.

5. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Bose anything aren’t a good deal even when free. (Bose=Better Off with Something Else). And don’t get me started on monster cable.
    Scope the forums at the bf sites and you’ll see where the better deals are (BB has a few good ones).

• GearheadGeek says:

You just need to think creatively. Bose stuff would be good for free, it would make an impressive gift to non-audiophile friends. ;)

6. Tankueray says:

I just now read that article, but right after dinner while going through the ads with the family, I said almost the same exact things. I was thinking about the $499 Quad core at BB, and almost bought it this morning until I found a better deal at newegg for the parts I actually wanted. Sure, no monitor or printer, but I have absolutely no need for those for around the same price, I got everything I needed without having to “upgrade” the BB one. And less than $20 shipping and no tax FTW!

There are a few small things I’m going out for in the morning, things that I don’t think anyone else will want. One being the $70 littermaid litter box at PetSmart. Sean should have tried that instead of the Genie. I’ve had littermaids for nearly 15 years and I will never buy an analog litter box again.

But my online shopping today will allow me to sleep in until 7am instead of 4am. I

• Tankueray says:

Sorry about the typo in my post. “I have no need for. For around…” Something went all weird with the previewing and the editing functions.

• h3llc4t, breaker of office dress codes says:

This is the first time I remember ever seeing the phrase “analog litter box.” I find it oddly pleasing.
      I like the Litterrmaids, but they occasionally pop up used on Craigslist for $35-50. Even that’s a bit pricey for me considering that our girls don’t mind regular boxes and it’d just be for our convenience. If I had the money to throw around I would love a Litter Robot though: http://www.litter-robot.com/

7. sybann says:

I found Coldwater Creek (online Outlet) has “repriced” sales items UP. A shirt I bought in the spring for 11.99 (and returned because it was so poorly made) has been raised to 19.99. I suspect it’s to make up for the “Get $30 off when you spend $100.”

Nothing pisses me off more than when a retailer thinks we’re stupid. They’ve lost me.