1 Million Maclaren Strollers Recalled After 12 Finger Amputations

Following 12 reports of accidental finger amputation, stroller company Maclaren is recalling 1 million strollers. Every single Maclaren stroller sold since 1999 is included in the recall.

The safety concern arises over the side hinge that expands and contracts when the stroller is opened and closed. The company plans on sending safety covers to stroller owners.

There hasn’t been an official one but the CPSC is expected to make one tomorrow.

It’s important to make sure that children are a safe distance away from the stroller when you’re opening and closing it. And to, you know, stop opening or closing it if you hear a high-pitch screaming.

Want a stroller that’s cheaper and higher rated than a Maclaren, and hasn’t been recalled for finger amputation? Check out Consumer Reports latest stroller reviews and ratings (subscription required).

Stroller maker Maclaren to recall 1 million strollers on concerns children can cut fingers off [New York Daily News via Consumer Reports Safety Blog]

1. BeyondtheTech says:

Because, 11 is, you know, acceptable.

2. dmolavi says:

as an owner of one of the strollers in this recall (a double stroller for my twins), i’m shocked it took 12 amputations for them to realize something’s amiss. i didn’t pay $400 for a finger amputator.

3. dreamking says:

‘recall’ is a misnomer, no? They’re not actually recalling or replacing the strollers. They’re sending out 2 hinge covers to stores and those who filled out a registration card. They’re not taking responsibility for installing the covers, either. And stores are only getting enough so they can install them on their unsold inventory.

4. npage148 says:

A pricey stroller is the equivalent of a mob enforcers with a pair of bolt cutters

5. halcyondays says:

Strollers like that are complete waste of money. We bought one for our first child–they are large and unwieldy and we eventually got tired of it. By the time we had our third child, we had gotten a simple folding umbrella stroller and use that all the time. It’s light and easy to store.

• Taelech says:

@halcyondays: Our MacLaren stroller is an umbrella stroller, just a nice one. It stores an ample bunch of stuff and is pretty darned lightweight. I can’t speak for the doubles, though, since we don’t have another kid.

• webweazel says:

@halcyondays: We got the Jeep 3-wheel (lock, unlock front wheel) one for our youngster from day one. We’re very outdoorsy anyway. We installed some bicycle head lights for nighttime use. We’ve taken it on hikes in the woods, down dirtbike trails, through streams, all around grassy parks, miles and miles all over Savannah city, and we like to take it to the flea markets, because the load capacity is very large. We’ve used it so much, the tires have lost most of their treads. Still solid as a rock, and we’ll be sad to see it go to yard sale soon, as the little one is outgrowing it.

6. Colonel Jack O'Neill says:

Just don’t open or close it when the kids are playing with it, and don’t let kids play with it to begin with, put it where they can’t get to it.

Parents should take responsibility for they own kids when something happens, instead of trying to blame someone else.

7. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

This would be a great stroller for mobsters who are heavy into extortion and loan sharking.

Just another reason, why I’m near 30 and am in no rush to have kids. I need all my digits!

8. CrazyTrain says:

Just send some twist ties out to the customers. Worked for Toyota.

9. bigsam27 says:

mashup: the Slap-Chop stroller!

10. nnj says:

Unbelieveable that there were 12 amputations! I do see a lot of these around. Considering the prices of these strollers and this is what the consumer gets. Never had any interest in owning a Maclaren mostly because of the price. The umbrella stroller I have was $39 on Amazon.

11. lehrdude says:

12. Quake 'n' Shake says:

I’ve got an infant son, but I was unfamiliar with Maclaren. Then I read the article and stumbled upon this blurb:
    Maclaren – maker of the pricey British strollers ubiquitous at playgrounds and on sidewalks across the city…

Silly me. I just go with Consumer Reports. Oh, whaddaya know? 5 strollers are rated and higher and are significantly cheaper than a Maclaren model.

13. BeyondtheTech says:

I heard they were going to sell off that line of strollers to The Martha Stewart Collection. Supposedly goes well with their lawnchairs that do the same thing for adults, too.

14. dancemonkey says:

Maclaren’s site is down, way down, not just the recall page. Oops. I’ll have the little guy wear a mesh cutting glove in the meantime.

I love how this has also turned into a fine opportunity for people to bash the stroller itself, like people who pay a “high price” for a stroller deserve their child losing a finger? Bizarre…

15. iron_chef says:

as Alton Brown would like to say…
    “it’s a multi-tasker”

16. Freedomforall says:

How does one go about explaining a missing digit to a toddler? And why is the chance of such an injury not the first thing designers are instructed to avoid? I bet designers of glass bottles are alert to making sure no mouth cutting edges are left in the molding process, lighters should not be explosive, no ground glass in any of the baby food,…that kind of thing. This is like a bad Dan Akroyd children’s costume skit from the 70’s. “Saves on expensive 10 fingered gloves”

17. DrMorison says:

See?! Now I am glad that my wife insisted on the Bugaboo. Yah, it may have have been nine-hundred bucks, but at least the baby has all his fingers!
    (when I told my dad how much the bugaboo cost, I expected him to tell me that I was nuts, instead he deadpanned “does that come with a DVD player?”).

18. foodfeed says:

the best finger amputation story i’ve heard involved a pinky ring and a flight of stairs. makes me think you can pull this off with just about anything.

19. mariospants says:

“Want a stroller that’s cheaper and higher rated than a Maclaren, and hasn’t been recalled for finger amputation?” I’d be seriously surprised if such a thing existed: we’ve been through umpteen strollers and the only brands we trust now are MacLaren and Chariot. The rest either aren’t built as well are safety-conscious (ironically) or don’t have decent warranties. We live where cheaper strollers will rust easily, btw.

20. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

A collapsible stroller that has no pinch points. Is that possible? And why are parents collapsing their strollers with their kids inside?

21. JediJohn82 says:

I am amazed at the number of recalls these days due to stupid consumer usage…what happened to the days of using common sense? I have a couple of strollers, including a Maclaren and I wouldn’t be folding it with my child touching it or with my fingers in any of the “pinch points”.

22. TuxRug says:

TWELVE finger amputations? But that would leave me with (-2) fingers!

23. Buffet says:

It doesn’t say whose fingers were amputated, the mom’s or the brat’s?

24. radiochief says:

People are joking about this, because the people who buy Maclarens think they are paying a premium for a safer stroller.

Whereas, a lot of people buy them because they are the ones to have. You can be in your nice suburbs paddling your precious snowflake around in a Graco, Safety 1st or a Chicco, now can you?

So, yes, people may enjoy the schaudenfraud of all those people paying extra for an (ultimately) unsafer stroller.

My 2 precious snowflakes in my suburb have done just fine with their Graco, thank you very much.