Humiliate Yourself For Free Chick-fil-A Today

Unless I’m dreaming a cruel dream that I’ll wake up from any second, today is July 10! Wait — don’t stare at me like you don’t know what that means. It’s Cow Appreciation Day! Still nothing? OK, let me explain: Dress up like a cow, head to a Chick-fil-A and you’ll get a free combo meal.

It’s like Christmas, Thanksgiving and that recurring dream of you finding yourself walking around in public dressed like a farm animal all rolled into one.

As an added bonus, the potential 45-minute wait in line will give you ample to gawk at all the similarly desperate souls who will do ANYTHING for their proverbial Klondike Bar.

If you don’t know where to get started, print out Chick-fil-A’s handy cow costume kit, which you can just print out, cut up and tape to yourself to bring out your inner bovine. I recommend the waffle fries and lemonade, which are unmatched by any other fast food chain. The sandwiches are milquetoast, but well worth the sticker price, at least on this holiest of days.

Comments

1. John Henschen says:

My wife and I stopped going to them when we found out that they were supporters and sponsors of various “Tea Parties” as well as distributing Focus on the Family propaganda in their restaurants. The owner is a well-know homophobe. At least that’s what my web-research goes… as much as that can be trusted. Which is a shame because I love their food.

• wvFrugan says:

@John Henschen:

Yes you are right. Small “c” Christians love to talk about what how fine these people are, closed on Sunday, etc. They are hate mongers, just like dave thomas & his homophobia. I wonder how good old dave felt abut orphans who were gay? I hope there is a hell for these types to rot in.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@wvFrugan: Where do you get this information from?

• wvFrugan says:

@Rectilinear Propagation:
          From not having my head up my ass for the past 40 some years. Do you know Google? (why don’t you try “dave thomas wendys gay”). Do you forget dave pulling commercial support for Ellen (like Jeep/Chrysler did, but they grew a brain) & stating it was inmoral to be gay? I love this statement he made once: “People ask me, ‘What about gay adoptions? Interracial? Single parents?’ ” he said. “I say, ‘Hey, fine, as long as it works for the child.’ ” – THE PROBLEM IS HE NEVER FOUND IT TO “WORK FOR THE CHILD”. He was just another disingenuous FRAUD, just like you!

• ARP says:

@wvFrugan: Agreed, and @John Henschen: is doing the right thing by not shopping with them. Voting with you dollars can be just as effective as voting with ballots.

• CyGuy says:

@ARP: IMHO, going there so they give you free food is not breaking the boycott, if anything you are costing them money, if you could get the whole country to show-up for a free meal, you’d likely bankrupt them.

• milk says:

@John Henschen: And they’re closed on Sundays because of religious reasons, right? I swear I only crave it on Sundays. Whataburger is openly God-fearing, but at least they’re open on Sundays.

• thisheregirafFe says:

@John Henschen: you’re making yourselves look really ungrateful and senseless to a LOT of people who don’t have a chic-fil-a in their state… *ahem.

• ThinkerTDM says:

@John Henschen: Good luck, since I know they support the “Tea parties”, I will eat there twice as much.

• Floobtronics says:

@John Henschen: Hm. Last time I checked, disdain for behavioral choices is not the same thing as fear. Ask any actual Christian (which does not include those nut jobs from Kansas masquerading as a Church) – hate the sin, not the sinner.

And as for the tea parties, if you’re happy with being overburdened with taxes, then good on you. The rest of us are sick of big government getting bigger and bigger, sucking us dry.

Enjoy your bitterness over simple things like a restaurant.

• PunditGuy says:

@Floobtronics:

I’ll take your OT flamebait. Have your taxes gone up in the last six months? Where were the teabaggers when the last guy added $6 trillion to the debt? If it walks like partisan hackery and talks like partisan hackery…

• Floobtronics says:

@PunditGuy: As a matter of fact, yes, they have.

My state taxes are now higher than they were this time last year.

I just got the 2009 property tax bill in the mail yesterday. Nearly a 20% increase – and in NJ, that’s no small chunk of change.

So yes, I am in fact paying more taxes.

And don’t play misdirection games with “the last guy” bit. St. Barack is cranking up the next war, has thrown habeas corpus out the window and is spending at a pace that makes “the last guy” look like amateur night. Unemployment was going to peak at 8%, right? We’re pushing 10% now.

• Trai_Dep says:

@Floobtronics: Wow, your accounting skillz are as flawed as your moral ones.
            State property taxes aren’t controlled by the White House, despite what your crazed Blame-Obama4Everything crowd murmurs in your ear. And states can’t operate under a deficit, thus the tax rate hike. And if the Fed gov’t DID do this (as your Conservative brethren would have (or give lip service towards)), your Fed taxes would shoot up by around $40,000 next year, to pay for – wait for it, w-a-i-t for it – the deluge of deficit spending that the previous (cough: Republican) President engaged in, in between laughing at the New Orleans homeless or snickering at the suckers who didn’t expect to be spied upon illegally when using phone, fax or internet.
            In fact, most of why your state has to raise their taxes is the result of the financial sector meltdown, which was created by your Free Market Fundamentalist types, who favored “self-regulation”. So, thanks for that. It’s a rotten shame you guys that pushed it on us aren’t make responsible for paying the rest of us back.

So yeah, back to the point: exactly how are you personally affected by Teh Gays not having to do it GOP style, in the restrooms of major US airports, wide-stanced?
            And for fun, if it’s “just a choice” then can you go bugger some guy (or vice-versa) over the weekend and report back to us how much fun it was? I mean, it’s just a choice, so it works both ways, right?

• Floobtronics says:

@Trai_Dep: Sure, GWB was not a model President, but I find it hilarious to watch the Obamabots, like yourself decry GWB, while conveniently ignoring all of the things that St. Barack is doing that are 100% in line with the previous administration’s policies.

Let’s see.. We need to get out of Iraq. Why? So we can send all those troops to Afghanistan. Barry’s got his own war now. How about the suspension of habeas corpus for prisoners? That was the most anti-American thing ever, during the campaign, especially because it was happening 90 miles off the coast of Florida. It’s totally ok to do it half way around the world though, with a prison 4x the size of Gitmo. Oh wait, we’re not really going to close Gitmo down after all now.

And yes, the Fed Gov’t does have a tremendous influence over state and local taxes, based on how much power they’ve taken over the States. States rights are largely out the window. As a result, when you’re a state, not getting the money from the Fed, where do you get it from? By taking it away from the municipalities and increasing State taxes. When you’re a municipality, and you’re not getting the money from the state, where do you get it from? By taking it away from property owners in the form of higher taxes.

Lastly, let’s not forget who the biggest contributors were that put us in the financial crisis we’re in. Hint: they’re the guys who sit in the Capitol building. These are the guys and gals that let Fannie & Freddie run wild, underwriting $500k mortgages to people who work in Taco Bell. Clearly, that’s all GWB’s fault. Oh wait, he did actually speak out about this, trying to get regulation on the kiddies at Fannie & Freddie (one of the better things he did try to do!). Your pals Barney Frank & the gang wouldn’t let it happen.

And on your last point, while I certainly could go have sex with some guy over the weekend, I’m not going to, because I choose not to, in much the same way I choose to have green beans instead of broccoli. It’s a *preference*. Likewise, I’ll choose to not go shoplift, or gossip about my neighbor.

• Trai_Dep says:

@Floobtronics: Is “Behavioral Choices” code-wordy for “Damned homosexuals who choose to flaunt God’s Willâ„¢”? AWEsome!
        By the way, it’s not a choice. You know that, right?
        You can’t really blame someone for not going to an establishment because they stand for a certain set of “values”, can you? Surely if Chick goes out of his way to chase down a demographic for profit, it’s only fair for others to be repulsed by it and stay away? And what better way to punish a business than not giving it your money?
        Seems pretty just to me. (shrug)

• Floobtronics says:

@Trai_Dep: No, “behavioral choices” is super secret code for…”behavioral choices”. It most certainly IS a choice. There’s certainly a lot of pseudo-science claiming to the contrary, but there is simply no proof, only hypothesis.

Now that the train’s so far off the tracks, let’s agree to disagree.

You say born gay, I say learned to be gay. You know you’re right, I know I’m right, so let’s just leave it there, shall we?

• wvFrugan says:

@Floobtronics:

FUCK YOU for trying that “I’ll make my attempt at a point with my opinion, now lets be polite & civil and end the conversation”. Show me the PROOF that homosexuality IS A CHOICE. Learn how to use basic logic (TIP: consider turn-about) you fraud.

• Floobtronics says:

@wvFrugan: I’m not the one that needs to prove that reasonable, logical concepts are in fact the absolute truth.

There’s a bucket of research that’s gone on trying to find the “gay gene”, and guess what – they haven’t found it. When you’re the one trying to push an agenda that’s contrary to logic & reason, the burden of proof resides with you.

Now take your foul mouth and get lost.

• Casey Coburn says:

@Floobtronics:

ugh

thanks for reminding me why so many, including myself, won’t support this and other Christian businesses

how do you get someone to stop acting ‘holier than thou’ when they honestly believe they are? shock aversion therapy?

• Floobtronics says:

@Casey Coburn: One small problem with your argument, I don’t believe I’m holier than thou. I’m just forgiven for my sins, and actually am making an effort not to further descend into sin. Those are the big differences there, aside from the obvious one (faith in God).

Feel free to vote with your dollars, that’s your God-given right.

• Pipes says:

@Floobtronics: And when did you choose to be straight, since you know, it’s a choice and all? I’m also wondering, why did Ted Haggard choose to be gay? That was sort of the dumbest choice in the world, right? Since he lost everything on that “decision”.

Anyway, onto Chick-fil-A…I won’t eat there because I’m an atheist and knew all about their anti-atheist anti-gay bent, but honestly the food is TERRIBLE. It’s a really easy choice to make, and I don’t understand everyone falling all over their food! In-n-Out is a little bit of a harder boycott, but it’s a little easier 1) being in Ohio and 2) not being nearly as good as Five Guys.

• Floobtronics says:

@Pipes: I won’t presume to know the mind of Ted Haggard, but it’s his choice. I don’t particularly care for it, but it’s his to make. That’s what free will gets you – the ability to make choices, whether good or bad.

While I’ll totally disagree with you on the taste of chick-fil-a, I will concur about five guys. We just took the kids out for a day in the inner harbor in baltimore to hit the aquarium and stuff, and ate there for lunch – great stuff.

• Nighthawke says:

@John Henschen: Believe what you want to, but I have to go against the grain on this one.

When S. Truett Cathy, the CEO of Chick-fil-A caught some teenaged crooks breaking into his home. Instead of calling the police he gave them a chance to redeem themselves. He offered them positions at the restaurants. Today the former criminals are mid-level managers of some of the highest ranking stores the company has.

No bull there, just old school standards holding up in the face of adversity and “progressive thinking”.

• trujunglist says:

@John Henschen:

Although I was aware that Chic-Fil-A is very religious and obviously closed on Sundays due to that, I wasn’t aware that they support homophobia. I’ve just googled for it and found a plethora of information on it. Although their food was quite tasty, I will never again purchase anything from them, because bigotry leaves a terrible aftertaste. Fuck you Chic-Fil-A!

@tonalanswer:

I could care less if they’re Christians just like they’re willing to take my money even though I don’t believe in what they do. I bet they’re even willing to take money from gay people. They’re a business. A business full of bigoted fucks. I know plenty of Christians that aren’t like that and even go out of their way to suggest that Jesus especially would not be supportive of bigotry.

@Floobtronics:

I’m curious… why do you “hate” the sin of homosexuality? How does it hurt you or even affect you in any way negatively? Does it really do anything at all to you, positive even? No? Well then, why does it bother you at all? Lastly, it’s not even a sin! At least, not according to the “7 deadly sins.” Not according to the 10 commandments. I’d say those are the final say on what are sins and what are not sins, if there was a final say on the matter.

• Floobtronics says:

@trujunglist: Don’t try to categorize sin into levels of sin. If you want to really get into it – consider Romans – “the wages of sin is death.” Not a list of certain sins – sin. All of it.

You may also consult the Bible further on what is and is not classified as sin. Don’t take my word for it – go to the source.

• veronykah says:

@John Henschen: I’m with you. As an athiest, I’d rather not give my money to the overtly religious if I can.
      Its the same way xtians boycott, letter write companies that don’t mesh with their set of values.
      In-N-Out, Forever 21…I’m looking at you.

• s73v3r says:

@veronykah: Wait, are you saying that there’s something similar going on with the leaders of In-N-Out? That would be terrible. Especially since their burgers are sooooooo good.

• Trai_Dep says:

@s73v3r: Read the inside of the bottom rim of all the In-N-Out drinking cups the next time you’re there. Stealthy Christ-marketing at its super-sneaky finest!

• Coralvillain says:

@John Henschen: I heartily endorse your boycott. For similar reasons I recomend not buying any more books by Orson Scott Card. No need to fund bigotry, it’s doing quite fine without my money. Just witness all of the people that jumped your shit :)

2. PittDragon says:

To be honest, I probably know way too many furries that would A)Jump at this opportunity to dress like a cow and B)Beat the pants off people in the cowsuit design and construction area.

3. henrygates says:

Finally, a use for that cow suit I have laying around.

4. PinkBox says:

I’m guessing a cow costume/supplies would cost more than the “free” meal.

• PinkBox says:

@PinkBox: Silly me… I guess printing out the costume is pretty cheap. :)

• Floobtronics says:

@PinkBox: Yeah, totally, but our kids love it. My wife spent about $30 on material, buttons and stuff for the cow costumes she made. Of course, she put some thought into it – the costumes are short sleeved with shorts, and will double as PJs.

The only part that’s not reusable over & over through the year is the hats she made from those foam visors you get at the craft store.

It’s fun, our older one remembers it from last year. He’s been running around all week mooing in anticipation.

• CyGuy says:

@Floobtronics: Yeah, our kids love it too. Dressing up and getting free food is like a second Halloween, but with (somewhat) more nutritious food. Our CFA has a decent indoor playplace as well, and is right next to a Chuckie-Cheese (which thanks to Consumerist I had a 60% of tokens coupon for!)

Also, we like cow stuff to begin with and so actually had enough cow costume parts for the four of us (we’d gone as 3 cows and a farmer to a local H’ween costume contest in ’07 and won best family costume earning a bag of H’ween decorations.)

My one gripe – I got the spicy chicken wrap today, and it comes with what you would think is a single serving pack of “Spicy Dressing” on the dressing’s nutritional label it tells you it is supposed to contain about 2.5 servings – so it has about 20 grams of fat and over 300 calories. So much for a grilled chicken wrap being a lo-cal fast food option – especially since the bite I took without dressing was pretty flavorless.

• Floobtronics says:

@CyGuy: Yeah, “lo-cal” fast food is an almost universal exercise in creative math..

I just stick with the basic chicken sandwich & a bottle of water..

5. theheights says:

Sorry, there’s nothing milquetoast about their sandwiches. They might be “plain” looking with a fried chicken breast, pickles, and a bun, but the flavor of their sandwiches is incredible.

• tonalanswer says:

@theheights: I moved from an area that had plenty of Chick-Fil-A around, and it’s been a while since I’ve had some. I’ve been able to make a chicken sandwich that’s about as good at home, but it’s nowhere near as convenient. My favorite is the Chicken and Biscuit.

• John Henschen says:

@theheights: Agreed! Not a fan of biscuits, but their chicken is quite yummy. Hence, my sadness (not bitterness as some have claimed) for not being able to eat there anymore.

6. cpaforrent says:

We don’t really have any Chick-fil-A’s in my neck of the woods anyway, so I guess I’ll spare myself the indignation.

A buddy of mine always had a beef (pun intended) with them over the fact that they closed on Sundays. Do they still do that?

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@cpaforrent: They do indeed.

• oneandone says:

@cpaforrent: I know a few people who are PO’d about that as well, but I dont understand what there is to be upset about. Yes, it may make it more inconvenient for you to get some of their food, but I like the spirit of the idea: places of business should be closed sometimes to give people a rest. I’m assuming the philosophy behind it is much more religious, and it can be a PITA when ALL businesses are closed on a certain day of the week for religious reasons. However, I don’t see anything majorly objectionable in saying that there are times when we want to stop working; our jobs are not everything we do.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@oneandone:

Hobby Lobby closes on Sunday also. There’s one up here near me, but on Sundays I have to drive down to Michael’s. It’s on the other side of town and I rarely go down there.

Next time I go down there on Saturday I’ll go to Chick-Fil-A. They are by where Circuit City used to be. I think there’s a Red Robin down there too.

• oneandone says:

@HogwartsAlum: I used to live in the mid-east, and everything starts slowing down and then closing as you approach the day of rest for whichever religious group dominates the local area (friday / saturday / sunday). It’s annoying if your religious day doesn’t coincide with everyone else’s, but some people seem better at tolerating it than others. There seems to be a strange over-reaction in the U.S. if a similar thing happens – even if it’s just a few chains that do this. I hadn’t known about Hobby Lobby – thanks for pointing it out.

I don’t think I’ll patronize stores any more or less because they have a principled reason for shutting down on Saturdays or Sundays (or Fridays! not many of those), but I do take note of it.

• HogwartsAlum says:

@oneandone:

I don’t either, but all the talk about the stores supporting homophobia is disturbing. I’m not gay but I have had many friends who are and that bothers the hell out of me. I blasted someone at work for talking homophobic trash just the other day.

Maybe I won’t go after all.

7. Radi0logy says:

Chik-fil-A sandwiches are milquetoast?? Phooey and Pshaw! You clearly are not slathering them with mayonnaise and a dollop of mustard, as they are meant to be eaten. Anyone that can find fault with a chicken sandwich at a fast food restaurant that is ACTUALLY a REAL piece of chicken has their standards set wayyy WAYYY too high.

• Trai_Dep says:

@Radi0logy: Err, mayonnaise is pretty darned milquetoasty. Piling it on only makes it more so.
      Real men (that’d be us Californians, thanks) veer towards salsa and chiles.

• CyGuy says:

@Trai_Dep: The CFA here had packets of Texas Hot Sauce as well Real and Light Mayo on the condiment counter. Through enough Texas Pete on there and it’s definitely not milque-toast.

8. veg-o-matic says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: This article is a start..

And this is what some very devoted christians have to say about it.

• jeffbone says:

@veg-o-matic: I must be slow, because I don’t see anything in those links which directly supports Mr. Henschen’s assertions.

• tonalanswer says:

@jeffbone: I think their real point is that you need to boycott Chick-Fil-A because they’re run by Christians, and you should do whatever you can to stop them from making chicken sandwiches… I guess.

• wvFrugan says:

@tonalanswer:
          WRONG, you need to boycott it if you are a Christian (big “C”) like me, not a small “c” christian fraud that uses it as a self-righteous marketing ploy and a way to further hate.

• tonalanswer says:

@wvFrugan: for my own reference (i would like to learn the difference, i’m not playing games), could you give me a link so i could know the difference?

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

@tonalanswer: It won’t matter that you’re not playing games, it’s not like anyone else was. You’ve asked a question and that means you’re a “disingenuous fraud”.

• Trai_Dep says:

@veg-o-matic: I’m curious about the second link you provided, however.
      For how many years can an End of Days website publish before they admit they were wrong?

• veg-o-matic says:

@Trai_Dep: They don’t allow “date-setting,” that’s how! Their board rules are fairly extensive and very specific on this and related points. Ostensibly it’s to keep the board totally “biblical,” but really.. it’s so no one is wrong.

It’s generally accepted among the Christian fundamentalist communities that we are in “End Times,” and according to them, pretty much everything is a sign of the coming rapture. That’s all ok but, you know, setting dates for the rapture would be too out there.

But they have stopped saying Obama is the antichrist.

Fascinating reading.

• Trai_Dep says:

@veg-o-matic: It’s very strange.
          I’d feel so hoodwinked if I didn’t see frogs raining, blood pouring, salt sandstorms burying cities and little heathen children impaled by holy spikes of an Avenging Father or some such within my lifetime after being promised it from being a tyke.
          Let alone the switcharoo of the Book of Revalations being twisted to fit the USSR/US rivalry, then 9/12/01, having it all be switched to Osama bin Laden.
          But I guess that’s because I’m a fan of Consumerist. Promise me what you will, sellers of commercial products, but make damn sure you deliver what and when you said you would.
          Does the Bible come with a money-back guarantee? Should we get Cuomo on it?

9. Tito151 says:

Who cares what religious views they have… They have delicious chicken nuggets!

10. theblackdog says:

Their sandwiches and lemonade are awesome, and shockingly enough they actually make a diet lemonade that tastes closer to the original.

However, I’m down to only satisfying a craving about once every quarter because of the whole “crazy xtian” thing they’ve got going on with their owner.

11. describe_one says:

They are all about the religious propaganda (the owner also had a hand in creating and distributing veggie tales).

Now I don’t agree with forcing beliefs on anyone (even forcing non-beliefs), but last time I checked this was a free country and people could run their businesses how ever they want as long as they keep it clean and legal.

• wvFrugan says:

@describe_one:

Sure they can, and the public can say fuck you to them & boycott their bullshit. DUH!

• trujunglist says:

@describe_one:

Yep, that’s right, they CAN be bigoted dickheads. That’s the great thing about America: you can have crazy people in Kansas that protest and mock relatives at funerals of our soldiers, you can have religious figures on TV asking for money from poor stupid people for “god” while they have huge houses and several cars from that money, you can have a business that supports a homophobic agenda, and you can have me telling all of those people to fuck off and burn in the hell of their own creation.

• DH405 says:

@describe_one: And do you see people around here saying that the government should shut them down?

I get so tired of that poorly thought thru argument. YES they have a right to run their business. NO they don’t have a right to do whatever they want without people commenting on it.

12. idx says:

I’m going to open a restaurant named Chick-a-fil, we’ll serve the exact same food and only open on Sundays.

13. tundey says:

What’s crazy xtian in closing on Sundays and thanking God for your success? Why do people have a problem with other’s open display of faith? As long as he’s not forcing his employees to convert, what’s that harm? I bet if he was an atheist there wouldn’t be this much backlash.

• tmed says:

@tundey: Of course there would be, if he was an atheist who was as forceful at spreading his beliefs.

I have no problem eating at Chick-fil-a. Idon’t feel particularly pressured there, and I figure his money is his money.

As for Sundays, you may want to check with the Seventh Day Adventists about what is wrong there.

• johnarlington says:

@tundey:

I can remember when lots of stores were closed on Sundays and Holidays. It doesn’t matter what your religious preferneces are, what’s wrong with a day of rest for your employees?

• RogerTheAlien says:

@tundey: Did you even read the enormous thread near the top of the comments page? A bunch of people, on both sides of the issue, “discussed” this.

14. Kaellorian says:

I’m pretty sure I’ve been buying pizza from a former Mussolini sympathizer for the last several years. But hey, they use whole leaves of basil, gardiniere oil, and buffalo mozzarella!

I’m a yank sans Chik-fil-A so I’m woefully ignorant of the apparent elysian gastronomy that is produced by this establishment. All I know is that so long as I’m not being questioned by people in short sleeves and ties, I’d likely continue eating somewhere.

15. seeker1321 says:

@John Henschen:

Thanks for the info, now I will be sure to stop and spent money to balance out your boycott. :)

A person’s morality doesn’t determine the quality of food you get, but I have a compromise, get their food, but order a Pepsi, since Pepsi Co. has given money to support homosexual rights, so it all balances out in the end.

• wvFrugan says:

@seeker1321:
      “to support homosexual rights” Silly faggots, expecting that they be treated like people too. Fuck basic human rights I say!

• trujunglist says:

@seeker1321:

Now that I’m boycotting too, you’ll have to eat double the food. Well, probably more like quadruple, since I used to eat there fairly frequently. Probably more like double that figure, since I’m going to tell a lot of people that eat there on the regular that don’t know about the homophobic agenda. Well, probably triple that figure. I know A LOT of people that eat there.
      A person’s morality doesn’t determine the quality of food I get, you’re right, because if it did, then Chic-Fil-A would taste like dog shit rather than pretty good actually.

16. veg-o-matic says:

@jeffbone: It refers to Rectilinear Propagation, who was referring to wvFrugan‘s more general statements.

• tonalanswer says:

@veg-o-matic: but none the links in your linked article say anything about homophobia, dave thomas, hate mongering, or anything like that.

however, searching for “chick-fil-a” and “focus on the family” will find you some information, and you will find that Chick-Fil-A supports Focus on the Family, which is what the OP referenced.

whether you decide to eat there or not, the food is still good.

• Trai_Dep says:

@tonalanswer: And South African diamonds were such a bargain during Apartheid!

• Trai_Dep says:

@Trai_Dep: (Which is to say, shouldn’t a totality of a consumer product enter one’s purchase decision? Including who benefits?)
          I’m not saying NO one should go there – some will go more, some less. But it’s smart – and perhaps more ethical – to take a broader perspective in one’s purchase decisions. Right?

17. veg-o-matic says:

@tonalanswer: I never said the links provided that. I was simply pointing to some very general information, that’s all.

Geez.

18. Robobot says:

@tonalanswer: It doesn’t have as much to do with the owner’s religious affiliation as it does the organizations he supports in the name of that affiliation.

Personally I’m chill with Chik-Fil-A being an openly Christian company. What bothers me is that they donate millions of dollars annually to certain organizations with certain agendas that clash with my own. I’m not saying that Focus on the Family is totally evil- they mean well in their own way- but I would rather not give them funding if I can help it.

19. johnarlington says:

Even though some of the beliefs don’t match mine, lots of themn do. I don’t determine where I do business at based on a checklist of how my beliefs line up with their’s. How ablout all of the good things they do: Great food, good employers, family events, donating to the community. I have found the owner and managers at our local chick-fil-a to be outstanding. Half the time I go in, the owner is out in the dining room talking to patrons, bussing tables, bringing out refills. It’s a spotless store despite the enourmous throughput.

• Allison Granados says:

@johnarlington: i have no idea how their stores are always so clean. i went to this huge on in Dallas around lunch time and the several drive thrus had lines and the inside was packed. you got a place to sit as soon as someone got up kind of thing. yet i didn’t see one dirty table or any food on the floor…. i had my little one with me and an employee actually offered to get me a drink and help me bring my food to the table. other fast food restaurants could learn a thing or two.

20. calquist says:

Don’t forget Free Slurpee day at 7/11 tomorrow to commemorate my birthday!

21. secretmanofagent says:

@Nighthawke: So THAT’S what I’ve been doing wrong all these years. What’s his address?

22. John Henschen says:

Yay! I have a warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy with all of the commentary my comment has elicited.

Just as christians boycott Disney for having “Gay Day” I can boycott Chick-fil-a for their behaviour. And I appreciate the distinction that some have made between christians and Christians. Very appropriate.

To quote Gandhi, “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ.”

23. RamV10: The Axeman Returneth says:

I wonder what they’d do if I just brought a cow rather than dressing up like one.

Seems like that would be much more fun.

24. alstein says:

There’s a huge difference between the beliefs of the chick-fil-a guy and the Domino Guy.

Personally, I have a problem with neither, and I’m a strong skeptic of organized religion. Neither company offends me.

25. ryan89 says:

Just to clarify, you have to be fully dressed as a cow for the free meal. If you make an attempt, including their provided costume kit, you will only get a free entree (sandwich, etc, no fries or drink). Of course YMMV and you might get a whole free meal for little effort.

26. Andi Lee says:

It’s a fun event and I love Chick-fil-A. I actually just got in from doing it. No lines or anything and we dressed up in a full cow outfit (the only ones we saw) and got our stuff. Last year, we didn’t go all out and in our city, we were the only ones to even go as far as to wear the little cow headbands but in the next state over (we were heading to Atlanta), we were severely under-dressed as everybody else was in full cow attire to various degrees.

27. esc27 says:

I just got back from the local Chick-fil-A (still sipping on the awesome sweet tea…) but I had no idea it was Cow Appreciation day till I got there. Fun times. I was suckered into buying one of the stuffed cows, but I kind of wanted one anyway…

28. MisterE says:

In the rural parts of Ohio, you can’t tell the difference between the costumes and the real thing. Easy Win for the farmers.

• Trai_Dep says:

@MisterE: Big win for the randy adolescent farm hands “making due”, too.
      …Not so much for the poor, violated “cow”.

29. evilhapposai says:

Considering that 76% of the population in US is Christian I would say they are just catering to the majority. As a private business and can do as it pleases. Do not like it? Don’t eat there.

It sickens me how this country bends over backwards for a small percentage of its demographics.