Recall Roundup – Strollers, Hair Dryers, And Zombie Coffee Grinders

Hazardous hair dryers, unstoppable strollers, zombie coffee grinders, and breakable cribs are this week’s stars of the Recall Roundup. Watch out!

Bugaboo strollers – As the CPSC puts it, “One or both sides of the brakes can fail, causing a stroller to unexpectedly roll away on an incline. This can pose a risk of injury to the child occupant.” They’ve been on the market for about two years.

Sanyo hair dryers – sold only around Los Angeles. Missing the feature that turns off the dryer if it’s dropped in water.

Viking refrigerator/freezers – The doors can fall off, and have caused bruises and broken fingers and toes.

Starbucks coffee grinders – Grinder can suddenly turn itself back on during cleaning, which is problematic if your fingers happen to be in the way.

Speedy children’s hooded sweatshirts – drawstring poses strangulation hazard.

Various LaJobi cribs (other recall) – Parts of both cribs can break off, posing a risk of serious injury to babies.

Warm Biscuit children’s pajamas – Don’t meet children’s sleepwear flammability standards.

Comments

1. lockdog says:

Why in god’s name would you clean your coffee grinder while its still plugged in. This is why we never should have gotten rid of shop class for middle schoolers.

• yagisencho says:

@lockdog:

Exactly what I was wondering.

• jsboehm79 says:

@lockdog:

I came here to say the exact same thing! I guess common sense isn’t all that common anymore.

• Rachacha says:

@lockdog: For the same reason that you would use a knive to remove that pesky toaster pastry from your toaster that was still plugged in…because it is too inconvenient to unplug the appliance.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

@Rachacha: O.o I unplug all of my appliances (the little ones anyway) when I’m not using them. This is scary. But people shouldn’t be doing that anyway.

• Tim says:

@lockdog: No one said it had to be plugged in …

(Idea for a Twilight Zone episode?)

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

This is why we never should have gotten rid of shop class for middle schoolers.

@lockdog: I didn’t get to take shop in middle school. :(

• CFinWV says:

@lockdog: I wondered this as well… =

• ZenMasterKel says:

@CFinWV: @pecan 3.14159265: My guess is that the location of the switch to activate the motor is in a position that accidently gets pressed when cleaning the machine. I doubt that it automatically starts running while you’re cleaning it. Otherwise, the grinder would be running at other times too.

• oneandone says:

@lockdog: And Home Ec. All students in my middle school had to take shop & home ec, and we learned a lot of useful life skills. Common sense safety with equipment and preventing fires was emphasized in both.

2. Wrathernaut says:

Warm Biscuit children’s pajamas failure to meet flammability standards – Best named product recall of the year.

3. mariospants says:

Shout out to Eisenstein there… gotta love it!

Meanwhile, how come being an infant/child is still so dangerous?

4. starrion says:

What amazed me is how expensive the bugaboo strollers are.

$659 for a stroller that looks like it’s worth about $100. Now it’s getting recalled.

5. ElizabethD says:

Bugaboo Strollers = overpriced hooey for status-conscious parents. And now we learn they can kill the kid, too.

6. YarrrSquiddy says:

…. O_o ….
    Starbucks coffee grinders, eh? sweet.. at least I came out of this w/ all of my fingers still attached. yay… good times

7. YarrrSquiddy says:

*yes, I turn it off first* Still, not too fun to think of. And with this talk of them being mechanical-ZOMBIES after all…

• Wombatish says:

@YarrrSquiddy: Only turning it off first doesn’t always work, that’s kind of the whole point of the recall….

• YarrrSquiddy says:

@Wombatish: Oh really? I had written that to stave off the inevitable “you should turn if off first”, but hey – why not. I read the cpsc.gov product recall notice and it did not explicitly state that they go into grind mode when unplugged.

8. D0rk says:

Good thing I sold all my fingers to pay for my morning Starbucks for the past two weeks!

9. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

How do I tell if I have a Finger Grinder? I threw the box away over a year ago and none of the numbers on the bottom of the grinder look like they are the SKU.

• David Peterson says:

@Kimaroo: I don’t think it matters. They were able to verify it from some info on the grinder. Actually, it is almost like every blade grinder of theirs out there is covered. It was a fairly painless process. Friendly rep, will be getting an email with a prepaid label. Worse part is you have to provide the box and be without a grinder for up to 8 weeks.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

@David Peterson: Eh.. that doesn’t really bother me because I love getting rid of boxes.. and I got the grinder as a gift and only use it *very* rarely.

I still want to get it replaced if it is defective though. My friend paid good money for it.

That and I like my fingers.. Not that I clean it with it plugged in.. but still.

• Winteridge2 says:

@Kimaroo: just in case you might have one:KEEP YER FINGERS OUT OF THE DAMN THING!

10. awgy says:

*Always* unplug a grinder before cleaning it. If the plug isn’t conveniently located for unplugging, then relocate the plug. It’s not worth the chance.

I have some friends that work in some top-notch coffee shops, and this is like the first rule for cleaning grinders. They’re dangerous.

• From the cubicle of PGibbons says:

@awgy: Aw, c’mon. It’s just a high-torque electric motor directly attached to a couple high-speed rotating knives.

What could possibly go wrong?

• oneandone says:

@awgy: Looking at the photo of the grinder, for a moment it seemed that it didn’t plug in. I’ve never heard of a battery-powered grinder, but there’s a lot of new fangled stuff that goes right over my head.

The CPSC photo seems to show that there is a plug, but the wiring is just wrapped behind the grinder. But it made me think that a battery-powered grinder had the potential to be really bad news.

11. nnj says:

I love how much Bugaboo charges for a stroller. Perhaps a new brake job should cost about $300. I’m sure people would pay it if they were told to do so.

12. WarOtter - I went to Japan and all I got was this tumor. says:

LOL @ Warm Biscuit childrens’ pajamas. They don’t meet flammability standards? That’s a real surprise. Maybe they need more butter.

Remember, if you dress your kid in these pajamas, do not attempt to actually cook, no matter how cute you think having you child look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy would be.

13. ElizabethD says:

Pajamas that meet flammability standards for children’s sleepwear are often unpleasantly synthetic to wear and to smell, even after repeated laudering. I used to cheat by buying the close-fitting 100% cotton knit longjohns and matching tops from Sara’s Prints and Hanna Andersson (on sale! not full price!) for my kids when they were young. Comfortable, extremely durable, and highly unlikely to catch fire from gas stove, etc., since they had no droop or swirl to them. Does this make me a bad mom? (The kids are ages 17-23 now so clearly it worked out OK for us.)

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

@ElizabethD: No – it does not make you a bad mom. Carters sells pajamas that are 100% cotton without the flame retardant. You just have to make sure that they fit your child snugly (don’t buy the next size up). Truthfully, I always wondered why non-flammable pajamas were such a big deal anyway. I just keep my kids away from open flames and the threat of combustion goes away.

14. Elginista says:

I have this grinder and occasionally it doesn’t turn OFF unless I unplug it.

15. Underpants Gnome says:

I wish my grinder had that problem. Mine is some annoying safety-nanny version that you have to stand there holding down the “grind” button the entire time. That, along with the fact it’s as loud as a lawnmower and spits out about a tablespoon of coffee an hour is definitely making it garage sale fodder.

16. Don Heins says:

wait. your supposed to clean your coffee grinder?