Advanta Raises Your 8% Credit Card To 20% Because The Economy Is Bad

Joe writes:

I have had an Advanta Credit Card for a little over a year now. My interest rate prior to a few days ago was 8%. My credit rating is very good, and I have always made my payments on time. As I was looking over my bill for September I noticed a fee of $75 dollars. A few clicks later I found that my interest rate had been raised to 20%.

I immediately called customer service. The woman I spoke with claimed Advanta had sent a letter informing me about the change in my rate. I told her I never received a letter and wanted to know why my rate had changed. She said she was unable to tell me about the specifics but kept mentioning the economy

So because other people screwed up I am being punished for their mistakes? I informed her that if she did not return my interest rate to 8% I would be writing a letter to http://www.consumerist.com. She said she could not help me and hung up on me. Not only are they getting more money out of me but they are also hanging up on me!

I then sent an email to customer service asking them for the specific reason my rate was change. If they did not I would write a letter to http://www.consumerist.com. Well the next day I recieve a personal phone call from customer service. The woman on the line gave me the same run around. She could not tell me why it was raised except the fact that the economy is bad.

I informed her that my other credit card rates had not been changed. Her answer to that was, “Advanta is much more conservative and 20% is the best rate we can offer you.” I told her, “You did not offer it to me, you changed it without notification or reason.” I told her I will be writing a letter to http://www.consumerist.com. I thanked her for her time and ended the call.

Why am I being punished for taking responsiblity for my finances?

Joe, you’re not being punished, you’re just being taken advantage of because Advanta wants/needs more money. We wish threatening to write to Consumerist held more power over CSRs everywhere, but the truth is, most companies don’t care that much. We’re glad you told us so that we can warn others, but you need to try a different strategy if you want to get back to a decent rate.

To begin with, you should read the details of your credit card agreement to find out your options for disputing the rate increase. In most cases, once you’ve been notified, you will have to let the company know you reject the increase within a certain number of days (e.g., 30). At that point you should not charge anything else to the card, and you should be able to pay off your existing at the earlier rate.

If, however, you’ve used the card since being notified of the rate increase, Advanta may take that as your agreement to abide by the new rate. Since you say you never received the notice, you may be able to negotiate a new notification agreement deadline if you contact Advanta and explain that you weren’t notified.

You can also call Advanta and tell them you want to cancel your card. They may be willing to renegotiate down to a lower rate to keep you as a customer.

However, your best bet may be to start looking around for another card that can match your 8% rate at Advanta and then transfer the balance over and close the account. Check out Billshrink to see what offers are currently out there that you might qualify for. Even if you can’t find another 8% card out there, taking your business away from Advanta to another company for even a moderately lower rate will probably be worth it to you, both financially and for the principle of the matter.

Comments

1. BuddyGuyMontag says:

What’s with the threats to blab to consumerist? You call back, you elevate, go to every venue possible, THEN turn to Consumerist. Consumerist is like the A-Team, the last resort. Ben drives the van.

David Horowitz weeps for you, you understand?!?!

• shoelace414 says:

@BuddyGuyMontag: wouldn’t Ben be in the front passenger seat, since that’s where the col sat. (Hannibal)

• BuddyGuyMontag says:

@shoelace414: Good point. How does Meg Marco look with a mohawk?

• Meggers says:

@BuddyGuyMontag: I’m gonna go with smokin’.

As to the OP, Threaten to cancel the card. Sure you may take a ding on your credit report but that is nothing compared to the amount you are going to be screwed out of because they raised the rate without your input.

• deadspork says:

@Meggers: Two tools every consumer should use: The Consumerist and the Better Business Bureau (BBB.org).

I would recommend using the BBB before doing business with a new company, because you can see any complaints lodged against that company, and what the resolution was (if any), and whether it was satisfactory to the consumer.

• socalrob of the 24 and a half century says:

@Meggers:
            Threatening to cancel a card these days doesn’t mean much. The OP doesn’t mention the amount of his balance carried on the card. It could have been small and they raised his rates.

BofA did this crap to me. For almost a year I had a $0 balance on my card. If I put anything on it, it was paid off immediately. They raised my rate from like 8% to almost 16% and told me it was always like that. I told him to *expletives* because he was lying to me as I had a bill from a year prior that showed a dramatically lower rate (and not an intro rate as the card was 5 years old at the point of that bill).

Needless to say they were more than happy to cancel it if I wanted, but I said no because I keep it as a backup card. As soon as I started to carry a balance on it again they lowered the rate by 6%.

Ohh and the consumerist threats do unfortunately mean almost nothing. I tried it with a company and they scoffed at me.

2. lol_wut says:

I’m sure Advanta was really taking your threats seriously.

3. blockbustarhymes says:

I pity the fool that doesn’t escalate.

But then when they get into real trouble, I help them by welding random things together to invent an improbable solution

jibba jabba

4. TechnoDestructo says:

So what was the 75 dollar fee for? Was that his interest payment at the new rate?

Also, what is up with credit card companies changing rates, limits, due dates, and everything without giving notification? (And then claiming that they did) It seems like the new, hip, fashionable thing for banks to do these days. Are the notifications going through the same mail rooms that delay incoming payments or what?

(I remember back in the 90s, when I used to get notifications…those were the days.)

5. Fist-o™ says:

Yeah, why no follow-up of the $75 fee?? What’s that for?

6. BuddyGuyMontag says:

In 1998, several paying customers received a bad credit report for a charge they didn’t incur. These people promptly escaped from credit hell to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire… The Consumerist.

7. Blame it on the economy, the new boat of a top executive or they just simply felt like it. They can charge you as much as legally possible because that’s what people sign in for. Sad but true.

8. BuddyGuyMontag says:

I would believe that the OP may have gotten the rate notification and threw it away as spam. Some CC companies (Cap One, for instance) sends their rate notifications in envelopes and packaging that makes you think it’s conveience checks or something, and people shred/toss without even opening.

It happened to me. Cap One sent a rate notification in an envelope that looked like a hippie designed it. I almost threw it away before I opened it and realized what it was.

9. BuddyGuyMontag says:

$75 fee is probably his new interest rate. OP has a balance of about 4500. So you’d notice the difference between 8% (30 dollars a month in interest) vs 20% (75 dollars in interest)

10. Laffy Daffy says:

I think the $75 is OP’s new minimum payment. If OP was smart he’d take the advice and stop using the card, thereby locking in at the 8% rate.

11. SamhitaLolzordyius says:

Wamu did the same to me a couple months ago. My rate was 5.25%. They raised it to 17.99%. Must have thought I could help bail them out. I canceled and locked in the 5.25% on the balance and got a new card from some one else.

12. vastrightwing says:

We are at war with the banks: all of them. They think they have the power. To the extent we allow it, they in fact do have it. Manage your debt by paying off the highest rate obligations first or re-finance them to a lower rate. Credit cards are a money trap, as all consumerists know, so avoid using them for credit. They will bite you when they have a chance.

13. Dave Newman says:

I recently had the same thing happen with a Target Visa and two Bank of America lines of credit. Calling BoA and telling them I was closing all of my bank accounts got them to leave my interest rate alone but Target wouldn’t budge. Since I was worried about hurting my credit rating by reducing the amount of available credit I had (which would happen if I refused the increase and they closed the account), I transferred the balance to American Express Blue at 4.99%. Plus now I have great customer service to go along with my salvaged credit and lower interest rate.

14. OMG! Ponies! says:

Threatening to complain to a blog has no effect. Threatening to cancel the account does.

Always keep enough cash on hand to be able to pay off your credit card. When they raise the rate, don’t ask for a reason why they raised the rate. Demand that they lower it. To 14%. If they say no, ask for a supervisor. Advise them that you’ll hold. If the supervisor won’t help, ask to be transferred to the retention department to close your account.

Be prepared to make good on your threat. These people have access to your financial records. They know if you can make good on it. As long as they know you’re not bluffing on closing the account, they will lower your rate.

15. azzy says:

We had just started carrying a balance on our Citi card (I know, bad bad, but it’s tough times). What do they do a month later? Bump up the rate by 7%. So what previously was our card with the best rate goes to being the worst rate. Oh well, we’ll just pay it off and use a different card. Greedy.

16. omred says:

Something similar happened to me last week. I noticed a note attached to the PDF of my BofA Visa bill online when I logged in to check if a payment had posted. The note said my rate was going from 11% to 25%!
    I immediately called BofA. The first woman I spoke to sort of sighed — it sounded like she’s been fielding calls like mine all day. The second woman at least gave me a reason why they were hiking the rate — after several months, they finally noticed that my credit utilization rate is too high. I admit, I’ve run up a balance on the card after having our first kid, but I’ve never missed a payment, always pay more than the minimum, and have slowly been lowering the balance over the last few months.
    It’s just such a scam — the rep talked to me like a kid, like she was really trying to help me by raising the rate. It was obvious to me, though, that at a 25% rate, I would probably only be able to make a minimum payment, and eventually the finance charges would add up leaving me close to maxing out and getting hit with more fees. It would have totally erased any progress that I’d made on paying off the card. No matter how I argued, she kept spewing the same script.
    Eventually she agreed to leave the rate at 11% if I didn’t use the card, and she lowered my credit limit (that should help the old utilization rate!), and we left it at that.
    I just wish these greedy bastards would just wait for their bailout, and stop trying to double dip from consumers.

17. PurplePuppy says:

Often they beg you to come back after they lose you. I threatened to cancel my discover card when they raised the rate to 20%, and they said the best they could do was 15%. They practically begged me to stay and said I’d never get a better rate out of them. After I canceled, they offered me 6 months at 1.5%. I took it.

It’s ALL temporary folks… just like the promotional rates for comcast. Just keep asking and you’ll eventually get what you want.

P.S. My credit didn’t even get dinged because the account was closed and re-opened in the same month. I don’t think it was even ever reported as closed.

18. thereisnofive says:

Washington Mutual did the same thing to my credit card through them about a month ago, bumping me up to a 20% APR. Same exact run around, and when I threatened to cancel they only offered to give me a 1% cash back bonus on my card.

The whole balance of my WAMU card is now sitting on a 0%APR for the next 12 months thanks to USAA. It’s not worth the hassle to fight this, especially when it’s so easy to transfer your balance to another card with a much better interest rate.

19. Damn this oncoming recession…. I feel sorry for the OP. I’ve been staring at my CC’s statements and such online, waiting for the day they do it to me.

And they will RUE that day….

And another note, I bet on top of the interest rate increase, they probably started adding a “yearly” fee. It’s such a pity to hear these stories, the companies are putting themselves under by doing this. No right minded consumer would keep a 20% interest rate when they have great credit. They’ll transfer all their balances out of said hell hole and get an introductory 0% for a year on something else. Instead of collecting 8% for another year and keeping a customer, they collect no interest besides what they’ve already gotten and lose the better customers.

Such a pity.

20. YarkonaDawgy says:

*exactly* what happened to my mother’s Advanta business card. She had several thousand dollars on her card (she owns a salon, makes purchases on the card) and received a $100+ finance charge! She called and Advanta said they mailed her notice the rate was to change.

Unfortunately, business hasn’t been great for mom, who now has to deal with 20% interest as opposed to her simple 7.9%.

My company also uses Adtanta, and I’m keeping my eyes on the rate as well. We have a backup card just in case Advanta tries to screw us. Although….the backup is with BoA, so we’re not out of hte woods yet.

21. Sudonum says:

I have an Advanta card for business, don’t carry a balance, but need to be on the lookout for sketchy fees now.

22. LucyLawliphile says:

How about not using credit cards at all and living within your means? Then you wouldn’t have to worry about interest rates or annual fees or anything. I’ve been getting by just fine on a debit card. OR you could just pay the balance off every month and then you wouldn’t have any interest.

At some point, you are going to have to actually pay for what you spend, so why not work on paying everything off and never paying interest for things that go down in value again. I know it can be hard to do.

Remember: there are two kinds of people, those that pay interest and those that earn it. Be in the second group.

• bbb111 says:

@LucyLawliphile: “How about not using credit cards at all and living within your means? Then you wouldn’t have to worry about interest rates or annual fees or anything. I’ve been getting by just fine on a debit card.”

There are problems with a debit cards in that if there is a problem, the money is GONE until you convince the bank that there is a problem and they agree to fix it. Also, you don’t get all the protections of the Truth In Lending regulations. You get fraud protections, but nothing in the case of a dispute – if a merchant refuses to credit your account after a mistake, a return, or non-delivery you cannot reverse the charge – you have to deal with the merchant directly. My local bank manager told me that many customers came in to reverse charges for tickets on Aloha Airlines – the ones that used credit cards could get a refund and the ones that used debit cards have to get in line with the other creditors at the bankruptcy.

“OR you could just pay the balance off every month and then you wouldn’t have any interest.”

Much better – especially for tickets or items that will not be used or delivered immediately.

ALSO, be careful with business credit cards – the Truth in Lending rules state: Title 12.Part226.3 “This regulation does not apply to the following: (a) Business, commercial, agricultural, or organizational credit…” (there is a footnote stating that the unauthorized use protections DO apply to all cards.)

23. stopshopping says:

Its about time you picked up this story. Search the net for Advanta’s scamming ways! We are a perfect credit business customer and they took our 7.99% balance to 23%. I told them they could count on $0 balance from that point forward and paid it off within 24 hours. They are crooks of the highest degree. End of story.

24. MsAnthropy says:

If $75 was either the minimum monthly payment or the interest charged for the month (or was it actually a ‘fee’ – if so, what for?), then the balance is probably too big to just pay off and avoid the new interest rate. Which is no doubt what Advanta is counting on. You can bet that if you paid the balance off in full and stopped using the card immediately, they’d be much more willing to switch your rate back to 8% again – they’d rather earn something off you than nothing at all. If the card’s anything closed to maxed out, though, and you’re making minimum payments each month or otherwise giving Advanta reason to think you can’t afford to pay the balance off and have no option but to leave it where it is… then they’re going to try and screw you, just because they can.

If you have another card with a high enough limit to absorb the balance on that card, it may be worth giving that lender a call and asking if they can offer you a decent rate for a balance transfer. At this point, even if they can offer you 15%, that’s better than Advanta’s 20% – but as it sounds like the balance on the card is reasonably high, you MAY find a lender willing to offer even better than that, if they think it might earn them some interest (watch out for balance transfer fees, though – make sure they won’t end up costing you more in the long run!)

It might also be worth looking around for a new card that will offer you a low rate for balance transfers, if your credit is good enough to get accepted. It might be tougher if you’re maxed out (or close to it) on your existing credit right now, but it has to be worth a shot.

Advanta are just doing this ‘because they can’ – do your best to prove them wrong and show them they can’t! In your position, if they got greedy with me and tried to screw every last cent they could out of me when I was already paying 8%, I’d do everything I could to make damn sure that this month’s interest was the last money they ever earned off me!

25. jbelkin says:

Yea, Advanta is to be avoided. They did the same thing to us and on top of that, we paid off the card, they sent us a new invoice amount of interest from the time they billed to them receiving our payment … no grace period and I pointed out the invoice read BALANCE DUE and not (MOSTLY) BALANCE DUE, they claimed that we had to call to find out our daily balance due … yea, doesn’t everyone do that? AND that the interest was due to us using a card check which had no grace period and of course, so while the “credit card” charges had a grace period, the check did not. This took like 3 months to get resolved – of course, as is my legal right, I disputed it in writing but they kept trying to call me to “talk about it.” AND after I finally gave up and sent them the interest (of course, it wasn’t the amount but the principle of the matter), some other department kept sending me letters that they wanted to help me work out a payment and it took 4 letters to point out they should talk to this other person in the same building … and of course, every letter was signed by a name that sounded incredibly fake like CHRIS FRIENDLY or JOANN HELPFUL … who are they fooling? ADVANTA – stay away.

26. ZukeZuke says:

Hey Joe, pay your $4,500 balance off already. Or look for a new card that offers introductory no-cost balance transfers and GTFO of Advanta.

If your credit is as good as you say, you should be able to get a lower interest card no problemo…

27. MirabelleBogdan says:

My wife called me this morning to tell me the almost the same story about her ADVANTA card. The only difference is that her rep stated that the reason for the increase is that she fit the profile of customers that had defaulted recently. They also stated that they sent her a notice.

She responded,
    “Have I ever been late?”
    “Have I defaulted on other cards?”
    “What notice, I never received a notice?”
    “So let me get this right, I’M A DEFAULT RISK SO YOU’RE RASING MY INTEREST RATE?” “IS THAT WHAT YOU DID TO THE OTHER FOLKS!”

She did a balance transfer of her outstanding balance tonight.

I wonder how many people got the surprise hike in interest rates on their recent statements.

28. wagnerism says:

Years ago a credit card company did this to me. I was carrying a balance and all was well with them getting regular payments.

A notice comes in the mail. The rate jumps. I call them and they treat me like crud and can only offer a written explanation that will be in the mail in a week or two.

I just went through my junk mail, picked up one of a few credit card offers that came that week and promptly accepted one with a free balance transfer. The rate was better than the original rate on the first card.

Once the balance transfer posted, I called them up to close the account and had to deal with their retentions department. I explained to them that it was their fault, but the cube jockey only cared about one thing… his retention percentage.

They could have just left me alone and enjoyed regular interest payments. Their greed cost them a lot. I ended up with a better rate on a different card.

Eh, they’re faceless banks. All the people you talk to there probably didn’t work there a year ago and probably won’t be there a year from now. Don’t take it personally. Loyalty and common sense has no place here.

…and I still get all kinds of credit card offers from that bank.

29. failurate says:

Next will be the purge of inactive accounts.

30. haoshufu says:

>>>Why am I being punished for taking responsiblity for my finances?<<<

The same reason we have to use our tax money to bail out the screwed up Wall Street bankers. They first take your money and lose them all, than ask you for more money to bail your money out.

Credit card companies tell you you need to borrow more so you can use the money to pay them back.

31. organicgardener says:

Last week I received a “Notice of Change in Terms” from Citibank informing me that my interest rate of prime + 6.99% is going to be changed to prime + 11.99%. I do, however, have the right to opt out with some conditions (depending on when the card expires).

I immediately called them to ask the reason, since I’ve never been late on their or any other card’s payments. The rep had no reason for the change, but informed me that I have the right to opt out. Of course I did that and he informed me that my rate would therefore not increase after all.

OK then, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ALL THAT??? I’ll tell you: to arbitrarily raise rates for those people who don’t read all of their mail! Now I can understand a mailer that offers a lower interest rate provided you call to take advantage of the offer, but a mailer increasing your rate UNLESS you call? For no apparent reason? What a bunch of crap!

The sooner Congress cracks down on these sneaky, underhanded, thieving bastards, the better!

• MsAnthropy says:

@organicgardener:
      Err, I may be wrong, but I think that ‘you have the right to opt out’ thing basically means ‘you can choose not to accept this rate but you can’t use your card anymore either’ – so you can pay down the balance while being charged the existing rate, but it’s basically closing your account.

Like I said, I may be wrong – but you might want to check up on that. I don’t think it’s as simple as ‘if you don’t like the new rate, that’s fine, we won’t charge you it!’ – if only.

32. theblackdog says:

I really hope that USAA doesn’t do this with their credit card, I like my Prime + 3.9% rate!

33. MsAnthropy says:

It’s how they make their money – want some profit? Ratejack a whole ton of customers! There’s a huge amount of people that probably won’t even notice the ratejack, and among the people who do, there will be a great number who either can’t be bothered/wouldn’t think to do anything about it, or who aren’t in any position to do anything about it. Advanta (or any other CCC) will lose some customers/interest they would otherwise have made through some people taking their business elsewhere, but I’m sure it’s more than (WAY more than) made up for by the people who just pay up without complaining. I think they just decide it’s worth pissing off (and losing) good customers so long as they can rake in some more cash. Stupid, really – they drive away the customers who DO have the ability to pay the balance in full or transfer the balance elsewhere, keeping the ones who have no choice but to accept the terms – ie the ones who must surely be in more danger of being unable to make the payments at all at some point.

If you have any way to be one of the people that takes their business elsewhere and avoids paying a single penny more to Advanta, do it. If the OP really does have great credit, it shouldn’t be hard to find a better card than this to transfer that balance to. If you’ve not shopped around for a better deal in a while, this might be a blessing in disguise – you might be able to get a card that will save you a ton in interest payments while you pay off this balance.

Oh, and all of this is yet another reason why I try to avoid carrying any balance at all, ever, if I can help it, and try not to run up more charges than I could pay off right away if I wanted to. Much easier to tell a credit card company where they can stick their card if they need you more than you need them.

(Yep, I know I’m repeating myself a bit here – but this stuff annoys me. I won’t put up with this crap from a credit card company, but I know there are a lot of people who have no choice).

34. P.T.Wheatstraw says:

I want to buy BuddyGuyMontag a beer.

We can down one over at Buddy’s bar next time I’m in town.

35. DenleyOrion says:

Contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) to complain about this tactic at

OCC Customer Assistance Group
    1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
    Houston, TX 77010-9050

I recently had a surprise fee with my Chase credit card. I contacted the Federal Reserve online, and they referred my complaint to the OCC.

36. DenleyOrion says:

I should have included the online info for filing complaints

Email address: Customer.assistance@occ.treas.gov
    Website: http://www.helpwithmybank.gov

37. creativecupcake says:

Advanta tried to up the rate on my business card from 7.9% to an absurd 33%! My balance/credit ratio is usually well below 50%, I have always paid on time and this is how I am “thanked” for being a good customer for more than 5 years? I’m so glad I looked at the fine print on a teeny, tiny notice they sent, which was tucked into a notification letter of something completely unrelated. Lesson learned: No longer will I shred something without opening it.

Fortunately, I transferred my remaining balance to my other credit account with a shiny new 0%/12 mo rate. Bye-bye Advanta!

38. metaslugx says:

8% percent to 20%? Jesus.
    Find your contract and read it, thoroughly.

39. Ebonyknight says:

@BuddyGuyMontag:

That’s why I keep ALL my mail and open it, unless I know from experience what it is.

I have avoided some close calls, by checking all my mail.

40. Ebonyknight says:

@MsAnthropy:

Problem is that, if they don’t pay, they “sell” the account to a collection agency and it’s now their problem. So it actually is to their advantage to get rid of the “good” customers (who pay their balances) and keep the bad ones, who keep a balance or eventually won’t pay.

41. Anonymous says:

I had the same rate (7.99%) until the October statement where I saw …surprise!!! … the new rate of 31.31% !!!! I want to mention that I have never had a late payment on any credit cards and my credit rating for September was 752. I paid the Advanta card off and I switched to First USA. Not even in the third world country I’m coming from people don’t get ripped off like this.

42. Anonymous says:

I am a business card holder and received email that my ontime Oct online payment was refused by my bank. My bank says they never received it. I repaid my bill immediately (1 day late), and Advanta charged me a late fee plus interest for the month. I called Advanta back, and they said I screwed up. I asked them to prove it (produce the transaction data showing an error). Their response was they don’t share their private data. Their data? I think it is my info as well. I am sure they would provide it under subpoena. I attempted to escalate and was told to write to the bank president in Salt Lake.

I called the CA Dept of Consumer Affairs instead. They referred me to the same Utah Dept, who in turn referred me to the Utah Dept of Finance. When I contacted them, they said they are powerless to do anything about a business account. My sole recourse is to hire a lawyer. So …

I HAD a 0 interest balance for 12 months, I wasn’t using the card, so they weren’t collecting usurious interest on purchases until the balance transfer was paid. it looks to me like they ‘manufactured’ a problem with my ontime payment so they could soak me until I pay their balance off.

Clearly, one answer is to take my business elsewhere. However, these people seem to be hiding out in a State that won’t hold their toes to the fire, and this literally sems like theft.

I make about 20 online payments like this monthly, and I have had NO (zero) other problems like this. It is possible, but very unlikely that I made any error, other than to opt to do business with Advanta.

I am going to move on, but something _should_ be done about them.

43. Anonymous says:

I got one about Advanta that blows everyone else away. We had our business card for about a year and used it regularly and paid it off on many occasions. Never late and our personal credit is flawless also. I am going over the bills one day and noticed our rate jumped from 7.99 to 32%….that is not a typo. 32%!!! It wouldn’t have been so bad, but I just purchased a large piece of equipment with the card, but it still had about 2K left on it. We made the same call and got the same answer. We were told that they sent us notification of the rate increase and our credit with them was reevaluated. They would not budge. We just secured another card to transfer the balance, but I believe what they are doing is criminal.

44. Anonymous says:

I’m so mad, I could SPIT. I fell into this APR trap. It was my bad for not seeing the teeny tiny print advising of the hike. I always look for it, but didn’t see it.

BUT, when I saw 36.33% APR, I called to BEG to have it reduced. I was told to reduce my balance by 50% and call back to request the reduction. I reduced the balance by 66%, called today to have the APR lowered and was told it wasn’t possible.

Note to all. Do NOT get an Advanta card. It started with a low, decent APR but is now obscene!! I was a worthy customer who is being kicked to the curb.

As KaliHaedjinn stated, “they won’t BUDGE.”