EECB Gets Credit Union To Pay Up $125

Rick has been trying for months to get his his credit union, Opportunities Credit Union of Vermont, to pay up for a $125 home inspection, and now, a week after sending his EECB, he prevailed. As we wrote last week, his credit union was supposed to pay for a home inspection but said they didn’t have to because the bill was never sent. However, the home inspector uses an electronic billing system and it showed that the credit union rep had in fact read the sent bill. Emails and phone calls between Rick and his credit union rep led to a stalemate. Then Jim sent off an executive email carpet bomb and got the following back from the credit union president:

Hello Rick,
I just left you a message on your phone but will also confirm in writing.

There was a misunderstanding on our part when one of the staff looked at the monies disbursed and saw $125 had been paid out, she assumed it was to Jim Breer which in fact it was for the inspection instead. As this money was to have been paid from the seller’s escrow, we will attempt to have it paid from there, if not, we will pay it ourselves. I do apologize for the time it has taken to get this resolved and assure you that our staff were well intended and generally get high marks from our members for the work they do.

I am available should you need to chat further and thank you for your
business!

Cheryl

Go back to Jim’s letter in the original post and use it as a guideline in the future. It’s polite, to the point, focuses on facts, explicitly states the desired outcome. Best of all, it worked. He himself used the complaint letter template in this post as an outline, it, too, should be inspiration for your next letter of complaint.

PREVIOUSLY: Man Feels Opportunities Credit Union Screwed Him Over For $125

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. azntg says:

Good to see that it ultimately worked out. Confirm that it did work out though Rick, will ya?

2. CubFx says:

I am happy that you were able to resolve your problem, I just wish (as I always do) that it didn’t take so much to get companies to do what they should have done in the first place. If someone at the bank had taken that second look, it would have never reached the point of frustration for Rick.

I will make the obligatory post: I am very happy with my credit union. After dealing with BoA, Wells Fargo, Norwest, and several smaller banks, I am happy to be done with them. Each and every one of them made errors that impacted me, and resolving them made me wish I was pulling teeth with pliers. Each time I voted with my money and changed banks. I have now been with my Credit Union longer than I was with all the other banks combined, and the only problem I ever had was solved with a five minute telephone conversation.

Congratulations on your resolution!

3. P_Smith says:

Jim did it in the right order: first you get your money back, then you send the profanity filled letter….

4. meatbeagle says:

OP here! Actually, Ben may have slept through the making of this post, changing my name from “Rick,” to “Jim” (the inspector’s name) mid-post.

As far as confirmation goes, I can certainly confirm that this is the email that I recieved from the CEO, along with a confirming voice-mail with apology. Further details:

I submitted both the complaint letter and EECB using the links Ben provides above (yay consumerist!). The credit union no longer posts their staff and email addresses on their web site as I recall they used to do, but some research got me the CEO, and a bunch of other staff, to whom I sent the EECB.

After a week passed with no response, I followed up with a phone call. The receptionist told me that I’d addressed the EECB to the organizations FORMER CEO – who obviously never recieved it. I redirected the email, and left a voicemail for the current CEO, Cheryl. Less than an hour after sending it, I had a promise that she’d look into it, and the very next day, the positive response above. It’s a shame that I had to escelate to this level, and I’m really upset that I was stonewalled for so long by her staff, but I applaud Cheryl for being prompt and professional.

I wonder how much impact this site has on these sorts of resolutions when they show up here.

• Moosehawk says:

@meatbeagle: A lot it would seem like. It seems as though more and more business managers and even CEOs are starting to glance at consumerist, looking for their own company’s name.

Nice pwncakes btw.

5. Bravo, Rick. Bravo.

6. BrianDaBrain says:

Congratulations to Rick! It’s always nice to see stories like this. But now I’m hungry for pancakes. mmmmmmmmm

7. marsneedsrabbits says:

Yay! Glad to see a positive follow-up to a well-written letter, and an extra “yay” for the credit union being responsive to their customer.