Halo 3 Limited Edition Xbox 360 For $199.99

Hot Topic seems to be selling Halo 3 Limited Edition Xbox 360 for $199.99, a price cut of $200. An insider tells us that select Hot Topic stores will have them on sale starting tomorrow, but I also spotted them on HotTopic.com. One of the guys at Kotaku says he bought one in-store this morning. I had no idea that Hot Topic even had video game systems, I guess they really do have the complete catalog to fill out your cool and alternative lifestyle.

Halo 3 Limited Edition Xbox 360 [Hot Topic]

Comments

1. Superawesomerad says:

That color scheme is ugly as sin. I wouldn’t feel right selling it for $400, either.

2. nweaver says:

Not a big discount either. $200 gets you a hard-drive-less xbox, $300 gets a better one than that.

• Xerloq says:

@nweaver: Not sure what you mean. It’s the same price as the new Arcade which has 512MB Flash memory. This one has a 20 GB drive.
      @TheBursar: It has HDMI: [www.xbox.com]

• ArabRabbi says:

@Xerloq: By ‘iteration,’ TheBursar might be referring to the chipset revision of the unit. The earlier revisions were notorious for failing – read: “Red Ring of Death” – so high that Microsoft extended the warranty after a UK retailer threatened to pull all 360s from their shelves due to abnormally high defective rates. (Rumored to be around 30%).

If memory serves me correct, the Halo edition units ship with either the Zephyr, the 1st chipset revision with 65nm CPU and GPUs, or the Falcon chipset which is the 2nd revision and has a 45nm CPU and 65nm GPU. It’s dependent on what production lot it came from; you’re gonna have to do some research on that one.

That, and the new Jasper chipset (45nm CPU AND 45nm GPU) is supposed to be coming out sometime soon. There’s also reports of another revision that comes exclusively from refurbished units that moves the RAM away from the GPU which, according to some, is the main heat source of the machine and the culprit of all the hardware failures.

It’s a damn sad day when consumer diligence requires going to the production level just to make an informed decision. Heck- here’s a piece I’ve yet to read, but should prove interesting at the very least:

[venturebeat.com]

But I guess that’s only required if you nigh absolutely have to have one.

• mac-phisto says:

@ArabRabbi: it’s still a pretty good deal – even for the older “fail-happy” chipsets.

i’ve fixed 2 (1st & 2nd gen.) 360’s already – all you really need to do is clean/regoopify the chipset & reattach the heatsink with new washers & machine screws.

excellent instructions here –> [www.llamma.com]

3. TheBursar says:

Anybody know what iteration of CPU/GPU this has?
    How about HDMI?

• orielbean says:

@TheBursar: No HDMI on this one. Looks like the classic 360 w/ HDD. Remember that you can replace the standard 20 gig on this with an aftermarket drive. google it and newegg sells it for sure.

4. newdeepdan says:

I’d get it but its just having to live with that color scheme… sigh… I love me my Halo but damn…

5. GeoffinAround says:

I remember when I was cool & alternative enough for Hot Topic. Oh, those 8th grade days.

6. coren says:

*coughebaycough*

7. Zennie20 says:

Sold out – bummer

8. Bauer22 says:

So tempted… just can’t get over the color… and the little RRoD thing that made be sell my last 360.

9. ViperBorg says:

Yeah, I can see how the RRoD wouldn’t go with the color scheme.

10. 20GB hard drive. It’s a good deal, but given the availability of the 120GB model, I’d go for that one instead.

11. I just spent $800 building a gaming PC.

>.< Tempted. Tempted. Must not… turn to… console… gaming…

12. EricLecarde says:

After shipping, it costs me 229.44, which is still 30 bucks cheaper than buying it new at Walmart/Bestbuy/Etc..

Now my wife can play games along with me. Thanks Consumerist.

13. Triterion says:

Do you think that Hot Topic misunderstood the xbox price drop? I thought retailers already had a tiny profit margin on hardware?

14. sleepydumbdude says:

Hmmm I need a 360 but think I’ll just pass. It sure is ugly. Also it doesn’t look like it comes with the game but I could be wrong.

• ludwigk says:

@sleepydumbdude: it does not come with the game, making it an extremely confusing tie in bundle. Master chief is right there on the box; he should have a text bubble coming from him saying “I’m not included!!!!”

15. Jesse says:

I wonder if they are just rebadged Red Ring of Death returns.

16. Drowner says:

*coughbuydotcomcough*

no hdmi on the buy.com ones but
    1080i looks fine coming out of composite cables

17. k4ffy says:

sold out

18. SaheliBrocchus says:

I called my local Hot Topic store and asked if they had any and the
    price. They said they had one and were about $400. I asked for a price
    check and she said that it was my lucky day as it’s ringing up as
    $199. I just picked it up and it’s sitting next to me. Oh, and the
    color is awesome, the pictures online can’t do it justice.

• @SaheliBrocchus:

I called my local Hot Topic store and asked if they had any and the price. They said they had one and were about $400. I asked for a price check and she said that it was my lucky day as it’s ringing up as $199. I just picked it up and it’s sitting next to me. Oh, and the color is awesome, the pictures online can’t do it justice.

I guess you’re not a SlickDealer – the first rule of slickdeals – “Don’t Ever Call!”.

The reason? The moment you hang up after they see that $199 price, they call all their buddies or buy them all to sell on eBay. Sounds like you got lucky, though.

19. Apparently the “Halo 3 Not Limited Enough Edition XBox360″ would have been a better name, judging by this clearance sale.

20. Dyscord says:

Wow. Not a bad deal. Wish I wasn’t broke at the moment. I’ve been wanting a 360 for a while.

21. erichazann says:

@InfiniTrent

Yes, because ppl who work crappy minimum wage jobs have so much disposable income to flip high priced electronics… I have been a SlickDealer for years and I have never bought into this.. mostly because my neighbor used to work at Staples and told me it was just not the case.. the managers know about all the clearance items and sale pricing before most FWers or SDers do.

The best reason to not call smaller retailers/online retailers is to not alert the CSRs to a price mistake or overwhelming interest in a sale item that they might cancel the sale on.

I’m sure there could be a few out there who hide stock and buy it themselves, but a $200 xbox could be a HT employee’s entire take home pay…

Also.. apparently, if you call Urban Outfitters, they will hold items for you. I remember when they had ipod sound docks for something like $50.. 75% off.. all the ppl who called got them held for them.

• Yes, because ppl who work crappy minimum wage jobs have so much disposable income to flip high priced electronics…

When I was 20 and in college, I worked for $7 an hour at Best Buy and bought high priced electronics all the time. Plenty of people at those stores have $200. And they have friends who have money too, remember.

22. CyberSkull says:

Don’t buy this version! It has a tiny hard drive and no HDMI.

23. chaoss13 says:

HDMI, Hard Drive, Wireless Controller, and only $200 with a full warranty = must buy. the buy.com refurb is $10 cheaper, but only has 90 days of warranty.
    I found one at a local HT, and got it immediately. I don’t have cash to burn on a new $300 Pro, so this works quite well for me.