Cnet has rounded up a list of free bandwidth monitoring apps for Windows and Mac users who will be facing Comcast’s new 250 GB download limit next month. They aren’t perfect, but they “should tide you over until Verizon brings some Fios action to your hood.” [download.com]

Comments

1. Suttin says:

Most Linksys routers have a bandwidth monitor.

At least mine does.

• zigziggityzoo says:

@Suttin: while great for Linksys users, that’s not all of Comcast’s Base.

Unfortunately, the bandwidth monitors listed don’t really work for computers that will be taken away from the home network, aka most laptops.

• TVarmy says:

@zigziggityzoo: Well, yes, but it is really nice for us who do have them, since it means we don’t need to install yet another app on our computer. Plus, I’m sure other brands have them, too, on at least some of their routers.

2. Counterpoint says:

A lot of the open-source firmware replacements (i.e. Tomato) have monthly bandwidth monitors in them as well. I would consider myself a heavy user (streaming video / music, 2-3 computers running simultaneously, uTorrent running to d/l missed TV shows or pr0n, etc.) and I only used 77GB total last month both up & down.

This new 250GB cap should not be an issue for any but the most hardcore file sharing users, or someone running a home web server which they’re not supposed to be doing with the consumer package.

3. SJChip104 says:

zigziggityzoo: If you’re using a software monitor, you can usually suspend their use for when you’re not home.

Suttin: I have an older Linksys router but it came with no bandwidth usage monitoring. Seeing the need, I installed the “Tomato” firmware replacement (google it for a list of compatible routers). Works like a charm. The monitoring stats are outstanding, along with other added features. By monitoring at the router level, I capture the full usage of all my internet traffic, Tivo, Wii, etc, so I can be sure to stay under the quota. One can find a compatible router for around $50 new and flash the firmware themselves. It’s surprising easy. I would consider it worth the cost of buying a new router considering the peace of mind you’ll get knowing you won’t be shut out of high speed for a whole year.

4. nweaver says:

Also, just don’t worry. 250 GB a month is really a “Metric Crapload” of data.

720p HD feeds from Hulu are only 2.5 Mbps, so you’d have to watch >7 mours a day, 7 days a week to exceed the 250 GB cap.

5. LatinoGeek says:

While I’m not a Comcast customer, I am curious about my own usage. While these utilities are useful, Unfortunately, I have multiple machines running Windows, Mac, and Linux at home. I have a Time Capsule and was hoping to find a way to monitor my total bandwidth at the router (ala Tomato for Linksys routers.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve thought about big brother, but I really don’t want another machine running all the time.

6. Bryan Price says:

I’m planning on complaining to the Florida Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau if Comcast doesn’t have some kind of tool up to tell me what my consumption is.

The Florida Attorney General is responsible for Comcast publishing this cap. Everybody is calling it network management (yes, technically, but only in the grossest form—getting rid of your heavy users), but it’s all about the wrist slap that Comcast got when three people complained about Comcast cutting service for something that was secret. The AG ruled that they had to publish it.

7. Ashcan says:

@Bryan
    I think a complaint to someone is needed. Most network “bandwidth logging” tools I’ve tested come up with differing totals. Also, the total bandwidth that Comcast computes is what will be used against you in any dispute with the company, not what some utility program or your router adds up.

8. …should tide you over until Verizon brings some Fios action to your hood.

STILL waiting for that last… what is now… a 3/5 of a mile. Of course Verizon has yet to update their construction schedule to reflect the month of September.

9. Now that I think about it, I don’t get it; Verizon workers and representatives on site have had it made perfectly clear to them. They have an entire community of potential customers who have been slaves to Comcast for years who are ready to switch the second the lever is flipped and service made available. It would seem rather pertinent in my opinion to roll out service as fast as humanly possible as to begin switching customers and garnering further income for your company. Perhaps that’s just good business… Perhaps that’s just my opinion.

10. SunnyLea says:

“should tide you over until Verizon brings some Fios action to your hood.”

No thanks!

I like my house not burned down, thankyouverymuch.