Pizza Hut Is Sorry It Baked A Cockroach Into Your Pizza, Got Fined $35,000

Here’s a lovely little story from our friends down in Bellbowrie, Australia. It seems that they have a Pizza Hut in Bellbowrie, and that Pizza Hut has cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches. So many cockroaches, in fact, that it baked one alive into a meatlovers pizza.

From the UPI:

Officials said tests revealed the roach found on the take-out meatlovers pizza was cooked alive with the pie.

Yum! brands, the U.S. operator of the Pizza Hut, lost its license for a month and then reopened with “increased cleaning practices,” according to the (Australia) Sunday Mail. The Brisbane Magistrates Court ordered the company to pay a fine of $35,000, and Yum! has said it is sorry for the incident. No word on whether the customer who got the cockroach pizza has stopped screaming yet.

Company fined $35,000 for roach problems [UPI]
(Photo: Adam A. Koch )

Comments

1. Walrii says:

Normally you have to pay for extra toppings.

2. Skiffer says:

Cockroach is a meat, isn’t it?

3. PracticalMagic says:

This gives a whole new meanig to “meat lovers” pizza. Too bad that health inspectors are sooooo under staffed.

4. ConsumptionJunkie says:

I’ll take a live cockroach over a rat head:[consumerist.com]

5. cmarker says:

This is very Sweeney Todd
    Worst pies in Bellbowrie!

6. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Better a live cockroach than a rat head: [consumerist.com]

7. gmoney says:

Lobsters are just big bugs.

It’s all just what you’re used to eating.

8. Jabberkaty says:

Bugs aren’t bad for you – it just helps if you know that they’re going to be there. You have to prepare for these things.

Like when my brother made me eat ants.

9. obligatory meat lover’s comment

10. I wonder what would happen if my local (state) health department found a Rodney Roach in my pizza? I suspect the pizza place would win the restaurant of the month award.

11. bifyu says:

I assume it was cooked by the time it was served, but how do they know it was alive beforehand?

12. snoop-blog says:

HOLY FUCK!- Austrailian for cockroach pizza.

13. laserjobs says:

They failed to mention the cockroach was the best tasting par of the pie.

14. Nyses says:

Yup, just a little “extra meat” and don’t the pizza ovens cook hot enough to destroy any bacteria, thus a perfectly edible pizza?

15. dohtem says:

I doubt anyone loves meat *that* much.

@bifyu: They had Gil Grissom on the case. The magnified image on the roach’s retina revealed that the cockroach was inside oven. Death came 7 minutes after baking in at 375 F.

16. ConsumptionJunkie says:

@bifyu: I assume “baked alive” means the roach in the pizza was still moving at the time it was served.

17. AnxiousDemographic says:

According to [www.sciencenews.org] eating bugs is good for our health and our planet! Personally I find them excellent as an appetite suppressant.

18. Concerned_Citizen says:

Big deal. It was cooked.

19. it’d be intersting to figure out how many pizzas they would have to make for one whole roach to still be within the allowable volume here in the US (it obviously exceeds the per serving allowance).

20. m4ximusprim3 says:

I’m impressed that they actually killed it. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching verminators, it’s that roaches are pretty much the insect version of james bond.

21. HalOfBorg says:

Snap…..Snap….Snappy Cicada Pizza!!!!!!!!

[www.allenarena.com]

Snappy Tomato Pizza IS real – and it IS their commercial – but they never actually served the pizza. :)

[www.snappytomato.com]

22. rpt1700 says:

Come on now, roaches are meat lovers too.

23. Anjow says:

To be honest I don’t care if they are sorry. All I care about is if they’re taking it seriously.

24. Trai_Dep says:

Considering it involved Australians, I’m surprised the diner didn’t opt for fire ants instead. No, a nest of fire ants, brimming over the pie and falling furiously, mandibles snapping wildly, onto the diner’s lap.
    Cockroaches? Doesn’t seem much of a fair fight. Not against an Australian.

25. azntg says:

Wouldn’t a Meat Lovers Pizza have enough protein in it without the baked alive cockroach in it?

26. B says:

What a rip-off. My local hole in the wall pizza gives you 10-12 cockroaches on a pizza, not just one.
    Wait, did I do that wrong?

27. Trai_Dep says:

…Unless the cockroach was armed with a teeny-tiny Bowie knife, of course.

28. Noiddog says:

Where’s the obligatory statement from Pizza Hut where they are “taking it seriously”?

29. Noiddog says:

@Anjow: Damn, I didn’t see it

30. Overheal says:

Roach on the BArbie?

31. BytheSea says:

More protein!

32. gliscameria says:

$35K! WTF! Those little bastards get everywhere. Granted it’s gross, but is there really that much fault? Technically it was cooked and posed no health hazard, plus it was probably the healthiest item on the pizza. =)

33. DrGirlfriend says:

My cousin’s mother sued a Burger King years ago because he found 3 roaches in his chocolate shake (he was a kid at the time). I’m not sure how much they got from BK because his mother is a compulsive liar and who knows how it all ended up, but I do know that he did indeed find roaches in his shake. Moral of the story is, fast food joints are likely to have roaches, but they are easier to find when they make their way into foods that are not supposed to be crunchy. At least in a Pizza Butt meat lover’s pizza a roach could maybe pass for what they try to tell us is “Italian sausage”.

34. Fear Factor: PIZZA HUT STYLE.

35. Crabfeast says:

I’m sure that everyone at some point in their lives have eaten a bug or two. I signed a 6 month lease on a studio a couple years back without realizing the full condition of the place(a hard learned mistake). It was crawling with roaches, and nothing we could do to the place could stop them. I woke up more than once with a roach crawling on me. I’m sure I must’ve eaten some of them. I guess what I’m trying to say is… if I have to eat some roaches, everyone else should too, damnit.

36. LJKelley says:

It is Pizza Hut. No suprise, I would never ever eat anything from Pizza Hut. I’ve had exemployees tell me how bad and unclean these places are.

37. nsv says:

Is this the extra crunchy pie?

38. i wish they had a pic of the roach in the pie, now I just have to use my imagination. good thing they didn’t get stuffed crust!

39. spryte says:

I wonder if Yum! Brands might think about changing their name….because when I think Yum! I ain’t thinking about roaches.

@dohtem: Ah, my husband Grissom to the rescue again…. :)

40. MyPetFly says:

@bifyu:

Excerpted from the Royal Coroner’s Summary Finding – Cause of Death:

“Subject cockroach, Periplaneta australasiae, is 32mm in length, 8mm in girth, and 5mm from front to back, weight is .63 grams…”

“…tracheae and spiracles show marked swelling, charring and carbon deposits, indicating respiration at the time of cooking…”

“…cockroach was found embedded in a bed of mozzarella cheese. Footprints matching those of the decedent began near a slice of ham, meandering towards the outer crust, stopping approximately 12cm from the edge.”

“…along with the decedent’s body, a note was found scrawled into the cheese, stating ‘Must find stale beer.’”

“Further investigation revealed the following quote from a United Press International story about this incident: ‘Yum! Restaurants told the Mail it was sorry for the incident.’”

Signed and sealed this day, July the 7th, the 2008th year of our Lord.

41. Crocodile Dundee in the new commercial…

[chuckling] “That’s not a pizza.”

[pulls out cockroach-infested pizza]

“*THAT’S* a pizza.”

42. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

At least eating cockroaches won’t clog your arteries. Well, unless they’re covered with chocolate and maybe bacon.

43. trogam says:

@Crabfeast: Bad time to be reading an article about Cockroaches and pizza while lying in bed in a dark room. Right after your comment, I saw something move on my wall…turned out to be nothing at all…

On Topic:
    Ever had a cockroach fall from an Ice dispesner into your soda cup? I did…needless to say the ice got cleaned immeiditldy and I was given about 3 or 4 free (Bottled) drinks to go. Check what you drink and eat people. You never know when you might find Mickey staring up at ya!

44. OsiUmenyiora says:

If they had microwaved the pizza instead that bug would still be alive.

45. hegemonyhog says:

You do understand that this is a Wall-E tie-in, right? Pluck the cockroach out and it’ll be your only friend in the post-apocalyptic wasteland that is your life.

46. joebobfunguy says:

@hegemonyhog: Thank you. I almost had the courage to go outside today, and then it all comes crashing in. But really, laughed out lowd.

47. parrotuya says:

I don’t get it. What’s wrong with cockroaches? Yummy!

48. geckospots says:

@DrGirlfriend:

o_O!!!

I would have nightmares for weeks if I found roaches in my chocolate shake.

49. startertan says:

“You get half off ada pizza!!!”

Oh man, there was a great SNL skit back in the day with Tim Robbins and Rob Schneider. It was a commercial for a place called Carraci’s Pizza. And they would say sh!t like, “Suppose, you see a squirrel, and it’s too fast for us to catch it and it craps on your pizza”…(cuts to a stereotypical looking italian pizza maker)…”YOU GET HALF OFF ADA PIZZA!”

[snltranscripts.jt.org]

50. kylenalepa says:

I remember years back that one of my friends said that he found a cockroach in a Domino’s Pizza, er, pizza. I never knew if he was telling the truth or not, but it took years before I ordered from there. Fortunately, having eaten probably dozens of pizzas from that location, I haven’t seen a single thing on there that shouldn’t be.

As an aside, the Gotham Knight pizza? Totally delicious.

51. bloodsprite says:

ewwwwww ….

52. mebaman says:

This has to happen more often than you read about it. I’ve seen those pizza ovens, and it seems that even a restauranteur that wants to make a conscious effort to keep the things clean has his/her work cut out for her. All those pies, all those orders, all that minimum-wage inattention, and all that grease – it’s sure to attract a few curious six-legged visitors from time to time. There’s no excuse for finding a roach in your edibles (unless you’re into that sort of thing), but such an event seems not only possible but horrifically likely.

53. waza says:

i want a picture next time !

54. Rectilinear Propagation says:

If it were me the answer would be NO.
    The Consumerist has my gratitude for not posting a photo with a big roach in it.

55. nsv says:

@waza: No, no, that’s ok, we’re fine without a pic, thanks…

56. hexychick says:

@MyPetFly: that’s a way better answer than anything scientific. I’m still curious as to how that was determined though.

57. purplegrog says:

Wow. I haven’t worked in the kitchen at pizza hut, although I did work a summer at Domino’s….it’s really, really, really more than a little bit difficult to bake a *cockroach* into a pizza. What else is going on in that restaurant?

58. ninjatoddler says:

I bet that wasn’t cheese either.

59. hardisonthefloor says:

oh well…i have enough cockroaches at my house, im sure at least once a week one of the little buggers makes his way into my food. no big deal.

60. ceez says:

lol….poor roach, just swimming for its life amongts the pile of melting cheese, trying to grab on to a sausage to use it as a flotation device, unfortunately the boiling tomato sauce under its feet had damaged the legs and couldnt climb its only way to salvation….

they can make a movie outta this.

and when did they notice that there was a roach? after they bit the pizza or was it neatly laying on the top….”damnit, i didnt order anchovies….wait a minute…what da-fu….”