Woman Protests High Gas Prices By Setting Fire To Gas Stations, Starbucks

Here’s a bad idea. Please don’t protest high gas prices by setting fire to a Chevron station, an Arco station, and a Starbucks. Meet Diane Craig, 64, of Danville, California. She’s accused of using “fireplace logs” to try to start fires inside the restrooms of the two gas stations and a Starbucks.

From KCRA:

Police later found Craig at a nearby fast food restaurant with eight fireplace logs with her. She told officers that she was behind the fires and said she woke up that morning wanting to do something about high gas prices.

Police said they don’t know why Craig targeted the Starbucks.

Women Set Fires Over High Gas Prices
[KCRA]
(Photo: mandysuemccaul )

UPDATE: We found a reenactment of the incident on YouTube. (NSFW, language)

Comments

1. Bladefist says:

Wasn’t this on here yesterday? Or do I have mind powers

2. surgesilk says:

Coo-Coo Coo-Coo

3. Rippleeffect says:

my guess is that the coffee is 4 times the price of gas is per gallon. that would upset me too =)

4. I love how she was in the bathroom and “fireplace logs” is in quotes.

5. Lodlaiden says:

Wouldn’t this have a reverse effect by causing a gas shortage in her area?

6. Manok says:

today is yesterday on Bizzaro Consumerist.

7. I was thinking about a protest too… However mine doesn’t involve burning down gas stations…

This woman has lost her marbles!

8. Wormfather says:

She set fire to the starbucks to put a finish on the coffee beans. They were only over-roasted, not super-starbucks roasted tm

9. Wormfather says:

@Manok: No, no, no, today is tomorrow in bizzaro consumorist or is today tomorrow in the land of tomorrow? Well what would tomorrow be in bizzaro land of tomorrow? How ’bout that!

10. Truvill says:

Oh California, is there ANYTHING you won’t crazy up?

11. zigziggityzoo says:

How would I protest? By not driving! Oh wait, that’s what I’m doing.

12. Raziya says:

I’LL GET YOU DRIVERS, DRIVING AROUND WITH YER DAMN STARBUCKS! KIDS THESE DAYS!

13. fluiddruid says:

The individual gas station owners are not the ones making the big money, and they are definitely the ones taking the brunt of customer resentment.

14. @elephantattack: I’m with you on the protest.

Everyone, tomorrow we’re protesting supply and demand!

15. Kevino says:

@Truvill:

We accept your challenge!

16. battra92 says:

I’m going to protest high gas prices by starting a car pool to work.

Oh wait, I’m already doing that.

17. rasbill says:

she probably went in the starbucks complaining about gas prices and was greeted by one of those overly happy freaks, they always make me want to light fires

18. @battra92: I’m going to boycott various brands of gas in a two-week rotating fashion!

(there is really a group here doing this, and it has made the local news. They don’t have snopes in that part of town, I guess.)

19. MissPeacock says:

@Bladefist: You do not have mind powers. It was posted late yesterday. Not sure why it warrants a second post, except for the extra quote from the article.

20. Pancakes?? FRENCH TOAST!! says:

as looney as this woman is, the use of those duraflame logs as the fuel for the arson is pretty ingenious.

21. Tracy Ham and Eggs says:

@Ash78: And that accomplishes what exactly? If you aren’t actually sacrificing then its not much of a protest, and you are probably burning extra gas to go to different stations.

22. Myownheroine says:

@Kevino

LOL

23. lincolnparadox says:

I say that everyone at the Consumerist should do the same in their community. If you don’t have a Starbucks to burn down, why not set a Super WalMart ablaze? Or a McDonald’s? Burn the corporations to the ground, because they’re the reason gas prices are high!

Actually…

…when you look at that statement cockeyed, it’s kind of true.

24. Bladefist says:

@MissPeacock: Well thanks for killing my dream.

25. Scoobatz says:

I wish more people would take the time to research how gas prices really work.

Gas stations only make a few cents per gallon and station owners are seeing even lower profit margins the higher wholesale prices climb. I’m sure there are some stations taking advantage of the situation in certain demographics, but the price of crude (and other factors) has almost forced some stations to close down, because they can’t cover operating costs while being competitive. And, yes, I do know someone who owns a gas station. I can assure you they do not share a piece of the windfall oil profits.

26. macinjosh says:

C’mon Pookie!!!

27. @Tracy Ham and Eggs: I was poking fun at their misguided plans. The only boycott is reduced consumption–not delayed or redirected consumption, obviously.

28. redheadedstepchild says:

@Tracy Ham and Eggs: Sacrifice isn’t protest. If you target one chain until they cut their prices, then move to the next, it could (but wouldn’t likely) be effective.

29. sir_pantsalot says:

Will I get yelled this time if I say that the consumer was wrong on this occasion?

30. ChuckECheese says:

Why isn’t the Starbucks sign in flames? Photoshop please?

31. Breach says:

I protest by driving less…but hey whatever gets the job done :)

32. Shutaro says:

@Scoobatz: “The next time I’m unhappy with a meal at a restaurant, should I beat up the hostess?”

Of course not! That would be absurd! What you should do is set fire to the Starbucks across the street… That’ll teach ‘em!

33. gliscameria says:

She seriously tried to set a gas station on fire in the one room with practically nothing flamable in it, along with having multiple water fixtures??? Meanwhile there is a machine that spews gasoline right outside?

34. krom says:

Police said they don’t know why Craig targeted the Starbucks.

I dunno, caffeine sure keeps my engine going, and Starbucks certainly does have high caffeine prices.

OTOH, if I could run my car on coffee, I’d be stocking up on Yuban, and our gas troubles would soon be over.

35. Keavy_Rain says:

@Canadian Impostor:

Yeah! Damn corporations are always out to get us!

Too bad cars don’t run on stupidity. That would solve our energy crisis right there.

36. LosersHaveCreditCardDebt says:

Diane, at age 64, you have learned nothing. You can’t beat ‘em so you join ‘em. How? Crude oil futures.

37. Julia9999999 says:

while I can certainly understand the frustration with gas (not to mention all) prices rising, setting fires just seems to me like a weird thing to do. It’s a litmus test for crazy…it doesn’t make her life easier, except she won’t have to buy gas in prison, I guess. People who set fires are a “different bunch” and I can’t condone the action because it’s felonious and somewhat juvenile.

38. BryantNotus says:

@Canadian Impostor:
    Now you need to go the pundits and explain them how to use basic
    economics to explain the high gas prices.

Also ironic:

“Gas prices are too high, so by reducing the supply of gas, that’ll
    surely bring down the price!” Is it just me, or are people getting
    progressively stupider?

39. stuny says:

If you set fire to your OWN car, think of all the gas you save! (wait until the car is on empty before burning it, or you sorta cut into your profits.)

40. pigeonpenelope says:

um.. yeah. when a company has shrinkage, how do you think they make up for it? raising prices. smart.

41. mattindustries says:

Fire logs might not solve your problems, but molotov cocktails solve ALL problems.

42. dragon:ONE says:

In a majority of “this company did X to X” and whatnot, people blame the consumer.

Now I’m blaming the gas stations and Starbucks.

43. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs.

If she had really wanted to help, she would have taken public transportation to the places she tried to burn down.

Or perhaps she’s the “log lady” reincarnated?

44. Rock79 says:

The starbucks was probably just “on her way” and she decided to torch it as well, just for good measure. I mean, there isn’t many other reasons that I can think of other than that.