Bloomingdale's Sends You To A "Collection Agency" Over $5.00

Reader Haven accidentally underpaid a Bloomingdale’s credit card bill by $5, and so it was off to the collection agency…

Haven writes (to Bloomingdale’s):

May 27, 2008

Bloomingdale’s
Customer Service
P.O. Box 8215
Mason, OH 45040

Dear Bloomingdale’s Customer Service Department,

I have been a Bloomingdale’s card holder for about two years. In my time as a cardholder, I have spent close to $2000.00 at your store. Recently, I paid a bill online and because I didn’t have the bill in front of me, paid what I thought was due that month. To my error I had underpaid the minimum amount by $5.00. Two days ago, I received a notice from Bloomingdale’s (the first and, apparently, last notice I was to receive) saying I would be sent to collections for failing to pay this $5.00 – I thought this was odd as I had used my Bloomingdale’s card in the store about a week and a half prior. If my account had been in bad standing I would assume Bloomingdale’s would put it on hold and not allow me to complete my purchase. At the very least I expected to receive timely notice of the pending sale of my account to a collection agency, so that I could have a chance to fix the problem. Although I did receive “notice” from Bloomingdale’s, it appears this served only to let me know that I could expect to deal with a collection agency, and have no chance to rectify the situation with Bloomingdale’s. Yesterday (on a Sunday over Memorial Day Weekend of all times!) I had the pleasure of getting four calls from your collection agency MCCS. How a customer who has spent a considerable amount in your store could be treated in this manner over a sum of $5.00 is appalling. I was not aware that I owed $5.00, and if Bloomingdale’s had taken the time to notify me of this small error I would have happily paid it.

To think that Bloomingdale’s is spending time notifying collections and using MCCS manpower for multiple hours over such a small amount of money is completely illogical. The cost to do this I’m sure is well over $5.00 and totally inefficient. To bully me by potentially negatively impacting my credit standing over something so small is a bad business practice and completely ridiculous. You have lost a customer who until now was a supporter of your store and I will be mentioning this to other customers of your Company’s bullying tactics.

Sincerely,
H.

Ugh. It’s completely unreasonable of Bloomingdale’s to send your account to collections without giving you proper notice and a chance to fix the error. And into the open arms of Nordstrom you go…

MCSS is actually the collection wing of Macy’s. Still, calling themselves MCSS rather than Bloomingdale’s makes them sound like a scary collection agency, so it’s understandable why there was that confusion, a confusion that Bloomie’s/MCSS capitalizes on to get people to pay up. We don’t know about you, but in all the times we’ve ever been behind on a bill, we would just get another bill. It would be months before we start getting calls from places with acronym names. Even if H is overacting, Bloomie’s response to the $5 under-payment seems overblown.

(Photo: nfarley )

Comments

1. How bout just sending them the $5? You know, the $5 that they’re owed? I love the idea that this woman is a victim because they tried to collect a debt from her.

2. descend says:

“Bullying”? Really? It’s completely bizarre that we demonize thieves but treat people who blow off their credit cards as victims.

3. graymulligan says:

wait…so I have to pay what I owe now? That’s it…I’m moving to Canada.

4. Skellbasher says:

Hmmm.. First you say:

Then you say:

It kinda sounds to me like you were notified you owed them a 5 spot.

While I agree that it’s somewhat silly to incur the collection agency expense to chase down $5, you did owe the money, and could have easily gone back online and paid it when you received the letter from Bloomingdale’s.

5. milqtost says:

@The Count of Monte Fisto: Yeah, but either we don’t have the whole story, or they jumped the gun and immediately sold off the debt before the next statement even hit. Normally one would think the next statement would call attention to her shortage and charge late fees and THEN if it went unpaid it would go to collections.

Of course who knows what the store does with it’s own credit card. Another reason to avoid store credit!

6. grouse says:

This person isn’t a “victim.” They had a relationship with a business where they spent $2000. The customer made a mistake over a very small amount of money and then was hit with a collection agency.

Is Bloomingdale’s entitled to collect this $5 via a collection agency or a lawsuit? Of course. But it would be far wiser to give the customer another chance to pay it.

7. dragonfire81 says:

At Sprint where I used to work, the threshold for Collections was $10. They really are willing to send you there for little, but you can avoid it by keeping tabs on your bill.

8. Dobernala says:

Well, he/she isn’t so much of a victim but Bloomingdales sort of overreacted to send $5 to collections and probably spent more than $5 in the process. If this happened to me as a customer, I would probably be offended too.

9. Ben Popken says:

It’s completely unreasonable to send an account to collections without sending a normal bill to the customer first. I don’t know why this is so difficult for you guys to understand.

10. milk says:

Why wouldn’t the online account list the balance on the card?

11. Skellbasher says:

To add some additional clarity to this, MCCS is Macy’s Credit and Customer Services , NOT a collection agency. MCCS services Bloomingdale’s store cards.

The customer was not sent to a collections agency. The phone calls were from the original creditor.

12. B says:

I want my two dollars!!!!!!

13. IphtashuFitz says:

Gawd I hate store charge cards. Let me have my Visa & Amex and I can get service virtually everywhere, and also be protected from hassles like this, the ability to do chargebacks if necessary, etc.

14. Skellbasher says:

@Ben Popken: Ben : see my last comment. The customer was not sent to collections. They were contacted by the OC.

15. bohemian says:

It sounds like Bloomingdales DID give her a warning by telling her she owed $5 and was going to be sent to collections. That would be the warning that something is still owed. But Bloomingdales was really stupid in not just sending an invoice or two first. Jumping to collections right out of the gate seems a bit excessive and damaging to a good customer/business relationship.

16. Chongo says:

this is possibly also a problem with their online payment system. I have heard that alot of places still have a blank field in which you enter the amount you want to pay, instead of there being a selectable list of “Minimum payment, pay entire balance or pay specific amount”. There should always be as summary of what is owed on this payment page. I do not have a bloomingdales card so I dont know first hand but it sounds like this was the problem to begin with.

17. B says:

@Skellbasher: They were sent to the collections department, not a collection agency. But it was still sent to collections. Of course, they did send the customer a normal bill, and she failed to pay it completely.

18. MOST people make this mistake at one time or another. I know I transpose 3s and 8s like it’s goin’ out of style. I once shorted a contractor a couple hundred bucks that way, and they just sent me a second invoice with something that said nicely (not threateningly) that I hadn’t paid the full amount due. I was absolutely MORTIFIED and immediately mailed off the remainder due, with a “sorry about that!” on the invoice.

If they had immediately sent me to collections, I would have been super-pissed. It was an honest, if stupid, mistake that I was happy to rectify immediately on being made aware of it. The fact that they didn’t charge me interest or a penalty just puts them higher in my book, and you KNOW which plumber I always call and who gets recommended on my blog. (Which means I can now never schedule him because EVERYONE calls him, but oh well. :D )

If they did charge me with fair interest or a penalty, I would have paid it, but I certainly would have groused.

I actually JUST has something similar happen in yesterday’s mail; we ordered from a nursery a set of plants that came in three shipments, all paid at once, and they somehow managed to flub charging our card for the last shipment. Today, I get notice that my “account” is 60 days past due for $5.35 of stuff *I* paid for back in February. They’ve appended a penalty that’s more than the $5.35 charge, and this is allegedly my “second notice.”

I was so flaming pissed to get a snippy “second notice” invoice letter with a penalty attached for something that is THEIR error that I actually haven’t called yet because I was too angry yesterday.

(This is a reputable company with good customer service, so I’m pretty sure they’ll fix the problem without too much trouble, but I was just mad about the whole tone of the thing.)

I will think twice before ordering from them again in the future, though.

19. sled_dog says:

Yea, If I were Bloomies I’d slap an additional $7.50 late charge on the account, and of course charge interest on the 5 bucks.

“To my error I had underpaid the minimum amount by $5.00.”

OP, they should not treat you this way … you seem to be the kind of credit card customer to be loved … those who do not pay the full balance each month and are happy to pay outrageous fees and interest charges!

20. amyschiff says:

I want to know how she managed to pay online in a manner in which she didn’t see the balance owed?

21. henrygates says:

Careful, if you don’t pay them the $5 they might auction off your house.

22. katylostherart says:

such faith in billing centers to get everything right. i can completely see them being that stupid over $5. i got a bill once from a lab that had said it was my fourth notice and that i would be reported to collections. problem was it was only 2 weeks after the lab work and paperwork submittal and it was the first piece of paper i had gotten from them notifying me of what was due. instead of just sending me the bill they sent me a “fourth” warning that i was past due.

23. @Ben Popken: They did send her a bill. She didn’t pay the whole thing, so they turned it over to their collections department (different from a collections agency, fyi).

24. Skellbasher says:

@B: Exactly my point.

Let’s say I owe $105 on my AMEX. I go to the online system, and pay $100.

Once that goes past due, I WILL get a call from AMEX about it. Sure, it might be the AMEX collections department, but it’s still AMEX. The debt hasn’t been sold to an outside agency, it’s just a ‘Hey, you’re late’ call.

What happened to this person was no different. This should no be a Consumerist worthy story.

25. Penny says:

This isn’t really uncommon. It sucks, but if she pays it there shouldn’t be a problem.

Just another reminder that you must keep on top of your bills and credit reports, as so many stupid mistakes occur.

26. MissPeacock says:

Good Lord, people. They notified her that she’d made an error in paying her bill and IMMEDIATELY sent her to collections. They didn’t give her a chance to RECTIFY the situation. That’s the rub here.

27. CarolKat says:

i’ve been sent to a collection agency for an on-campus at&t phone bill that totaled less than a dollar.

28. ediebeale says:

It makes me feel really good about the state of our country that no one who comments on Consumerist has ever made a mistake. Next stop, world domination!

29. Skellbasher says:

@MissPeacock: Incorrect.

The in-house collections department for the Bloomingdale’s credit card called her on the $5 balance.

This is standard practice for, I don’t know, EVERY credit account in the country!!

30. YoHenYo says:

I treat my credit cards like contracts. I have to pay my bill every month, or else the company can take action against me.

I understand people make mistakes, but people play the victim too often in terms of credit cards. You sign up for it, make sue you are capable to fulfill your side of the bargain.

31. MyPetFly says:

Bloomingdale’s was within their rights to send it to collections.

However…

Right doesn’t mean prudent.

As I tell people, sure, you have a right to drive 65 in the fast lane on the freeway, but it’s not prudent.

Sure, you have a right to cut off one of your fingers, but it’s not prudent.

Sure, Bloomingdale’s has a right to send a $5 debt to collections in the blink of an eye, but it’s not prudent.

Consumers make mistakes, and it seems that this consumer’s mistake was unintentional. If you’re going to stiff a company for money owed, why do it for only $5?

My guess is that Bloomie’s system just went “a little funny in the head” and sent it without any sort of human oversight.

I would have been bothered by it too.

32. Shotrock says:

It all depends on your credit history. Hers may suck because of other, much larger-than-$5 issues. I once missed my car insurance payment by a week due to a massive brain fart, and got a letter. It was within their rights to totally drop me. I called, explained the fart (using, um, other words), paid up, and everything was fine. I have a feeling my A++ credit history and sky-high FICO score had a LOT to do with their amiability in the matter.

Pay your phone bill 10 days late for 5 years? Then, m’dear, that $5 is going to fuck you up.

33. MyPetFly says:

Addendum…

I would have been bothered by Bloomingdale’s actions, but at the same time, I probably wouldn’t have made a big deal out of it, as companies make mistakes too.

34. Shotrock says:

It could be her credit rating sucks. If you have an excellent rating and a FICO score through the roof, they tend to let this stuff go. Especially if you CALL. AND. EXPLAIN.

NICELY.

35. stacye says:

@amyschiff: My electric company uses some company called BillMatrix to process payments. If I choose to make a payment, I have to log back in to my electric account to get my account number and amount owed to enter manually, because the BillMatrix system doesn’t know it.

36. Rando says:

Her bill closed after her shopping period, therefore she was allowed to shop.

It’s an automated system. We’re not going to write off $5 because everyone would want to do it. It kind of amazes me that customers think that every single account gets a personal touch. You do realize there are millions of accounts right?

Also your account is not send to a CA unless you’re two months late. Call in, get the late fee removed and if you get a really generous rep, they may even adjust the $5 off your account.

Another poor story by the consumerist for the day

37. Marseeah says:

Paying your bill without your bill in front of you, and then being outraged when you didn’t pay enough is idiotic. Also… claiming to be a valued customer because you’ve spent over $2000? You can buy one item and spend that much, easily!

38. ObtuseGoose says:

@Skellbasher: So you think it’s proper business practice to phone a customer over a $5 debt? If I were the customer, I would expect them to carry over the $5 to the next bill and charge me a fee for not making a minimum payment. I’m really surprised that most people are siding with Bloomingdale’s. If this had happened to me, I would stop doing business with them as well.

39. Skellbasher says:

@ObtuseGoose: Yes.

The consumer agrees that when they use their credit account, they’ll pay the minimum payment by the prescribed date. She shorted the minimum payment by $5, accidentally I’m sure, but it was still short.

I would much rather get a phone call, and allow me to pay the $5 shortage right away than wait until the next billing cycle and get nailed with a $35 late fee.

Accounting departments don’t work in ‘close enoughs’.

40. jesmcb says:

@Chongo: Yah I acutally have a bloomingdales card and the online system is totally terrible and archaic. I tried to pay a bill online, but the online statement was so misleading that I ended up just waiting for the paper bill.

41. chrisjames says:

@MissPeacock: Actually, there was no notice about the underpayment, only the immediate sending to collections, according to the story. The notice (“two days ago”) probably says that it will be sent to collections, since she very soon afterwards (“yesterday”) received calls.

When exactly did the underpayment occur? Last month? Five months ago? Were there any notices, paper or electronic, sent in the meantime? I mean, objectively, Bloomingdale’s was in the right to do this, but really they need to make a good faith attempt, at least once, to receive the $5 themselves. And regardless of the right, Bloomingdale’s needs to update their system to allow a little bit of leeway, since it’ll cost them more in the long run to be so callous with customers over $5.

42. Penny says:

@jesmcb: I gave up my Macy’s card (both are owned by Federated) because the online system sucked. It just wasn’t worth it.

43. uncle_fluffy says:

People, come on. Nobody’s saying she doesn’t owe the five bucks. It is patently unreasonable, however, for Bloomingdale’s to take action against her that has an adverse effect on her credit rating over the $5 instead of just, you know, pointing out the error and asking for the five bucks first.

44. Rando says:

Again,

She was not reported to a CA. Unless she neglected TWO bills for $5 and late fees, there is no way she is going to a CA.

45. xkevin says:
  46. Skellbasher says:

@uncle_fluffy: Please show me where Bloomingdale’s did anything that would have an adverse effect on her credit rating.

You asked that Bloomingdale’s point out the error and asked for the five bucks first.

THEY DID. And that’s what she was so pissed about.

47. glitterati says:

@amyschiff: Lots of retailers have outdated systems that do not reflect the full amount due. One of my cards is often several days behind in reflecting (though not assessing) payments and bills via their online database. Sad but true.

48. jay123 says:

Bloomindales did something similar to me as well. During the holiday season, they offered to give 15% off if I apply for the card. I was a little hesitant but went ahead and got the discount and charged teh item on the newly opened card. I also do all my bills on line and totally forgot that I opened a new card. Their first bill was lost in the middle of all the holiday catalogues and they called me to announce that I would be reported to the credit bureau for late payment. I payed the card on the spot and closed the account. Needless to say I do not fall for any “open the account and get 15% off” anymore.

49. B: “I want my two dollars!!!!!!”

My little brother got his arm stuck in the microwave. So my mom had to take him to the hospital. My grandma dropped acid this morning, and she freaked out. She hijacked a busload of penguins. So it’s sort of a family crisis.

50. checkyopremisebitch says:

I would bet that the cardholer was NOT sent to an outside/3rd party collections agency. She was probaly sent to the in-house collections department. ANY TIME a cardholder is late (no matter the good standing of the cardholer, how late the payment, how much is still due, it is sent to the in-house collections department. I would assume that the cardholder got a letter saying, “Please pay or you will be sent to collections.” All this means is that you are sent a different department equipped to handle past due accounts. I’m sorry but it doesn’t matter how late you are, how little you owe, etc. if you are late, you are late. Also, generally, you have 30 days to pay before it your credit rating is impacted. If you are a day late or a dollar short, you are considered past due. All you have to do is pay (try not to bitch at the collections rep.!) and you are fine.

51. Buran says:

@The Count of Monte Fisto: That’s not the point. She’ll pay it, but she hates how she is getting treated because of a simple mistake, and THAT’S what the letter is about. And people are calling her a deadbeat, saying she “blew it off”, and worse?

Been there, done that. Not with financial stuff, but I’ve been there, and it’s apalling that people are STILL making it her fault.

52. Buran says:

@Ben Popken: Please please post another “stop blaming the consumer” post as it’s obvious the last one went in one collective ear and out the other.

53. Buran says:

@checkyopremisebitch: You assume wrong as you failed to read the story you are replying to.

“Yesterday (on a Sunday over Memorial Day Weekend of all times!) I had the pleasure of getting four calls from your collection agency MCCS.”

54. Skellbasher says:

@Buran: The individual was incorrect in assuming MCCS was a collection agency.

Had you read through the comments, you would have seen that as well.

55. @jesmcb: The Macy’s online system is a nightmare, and their collections department is just as bad. I was overdue on a bill recently, and got a phone call, where the agent told me to pay online. The website appeared to accept the payment, but I got another call a few days later – the agent told me there was no activity on my account, and a few minutes later found that I had tried to pay, but couldn’t because my online account had been closed, and that I would have to go into a store to pay. I went to the store a few days later, and was told that they would not accept an in store payment, because I had closed my account (which I hadn’t). I finally had to pay over the phone with the collections department, and cancelled my card. I spent over a week trying to give them their money, and they just wouldn’t accept it – completely bizarre.

56. MissPeacock says:

@chrisjames: Um, that’s what I was saying.

57. Rando says:

@optical_allusion: Actually any errors on that website are generally user error… It’s not rocket science.

58. Tzepish says:

@The Count of Monte Fisto: Huh? The OP wants to pay the $5, and is happy to do so. You’ve missed the point.

59. Buran says:

@Skellbasher: They are bill collectors harassing someone on a holiday weekend over $5, and you’re arguing nomenclature?

60. ohiomensch says:

I had a problem with a storecard once. I decided to pay it off. I looked at the last bill I had, subtracted the payment I already sent and sent them a check for $164 and some change. Unfortunately, I neglected to account for a $12 purchase I made the week before. Even more unfortunately, the $164 payment was credited the day the month closed, being credited to the prior month. They hounded me night from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily for 2 weeks, even tho I told them I had mailed the check the day I received the new statement. Somehow it was “lost”. They even called me on Easter Sunday. They demanded I pay by phone. I explained that the balance had been mailed and that they would have to wait for the check. I was told that even tho it showed as clearing from my online bank account, they did not have it in their system and could not stop calling me till it showed up in their system or I agreed to pay it by phone. They treated me like a thief and a deadbeat, even tho I had just paid them almost the entire balance. “that was last month, you still owe for this month”. But it was paid I said, round and round. Finally I cancelled the card and have not dealt with them since.

61. newfenoix says:

I know that $5.00 will cause Bloomingdales to file for Chapter 11. It is just so cruel for people to make stupid mistakes and expect a company to show a little common sense. It’s just awful of people to expect a little consideration for being a good and loyal customer. It is just so hard for multi-billion dollar department stores to make ends meet these days. What could this woman have been thinking??? Damn, I bet the CEO is out on the street corner with a sign and tin can begging for change.

Now, that paragraph is no sillier than the bullshit that I read on this site from people that ALWAYS BLAME THE CUSTOMER! This is a site for consumers and those that have been wronged by companies. For all of you that blame the consumer…I pray that YOU never get shafted by a company.

62. Buran says:

@Skellbasher: My water and sewer bills (which I occasionally slip up on as they’re the only two bills I have that aren’t ebills and I do all my billing electronically) sometimes get overlooked. They do EXACTLY what the goose suggested — just carry over the missing amount to the next bill which I then just pay as part of that payment.

Obviously it can be, and is, done properly.

63. Rando says:

@Buran: Obviously you have no idea how credit cards work.

These are two different concepts. Reason being is because a CC company is extending you money for 30 days, in which you agree to pay in a timely manner.

64. Rando says:

@ohiomensch: You do realize that you’re never required to pay in full (excluding amex) correct? This means that you missed an entire statement before they started calling you…

Same with the customer in this story. She would have had to miss two statements to even be sent to a CA.

65. @Buran: Like you’ve never made a small error in your life, had someone blow it out of all proportion, and then being upset about how you were treated when a simple “hey, there’s a problem here”, QUIETLY AND CALMLY, would have solved it all.

Sure I have. I just didn’t write some long email about it hoping to get my story on a popular blog. All she had to do was pay the five bucks, and that would have solved it all, too.

66. @Tzepish: Show me where it says she tried to pay the five bucks and they refused it. Seems like she’s using their harassment as an excuse not to pay it.

67. Tzepish says:

@The Count of Monte Fisto: Are you serious? It’s $5.00.

$5.00.

I’m sure this customer is not only looking for an excuse to get out of spending $5.00, but is willing to write to a consumer blog about it, just to make the coverup more believable, and is willing to risk his/her credit score over it.

Oh wait, no I’m not, because that would be completely unreasonable.

68. iamlost26 says:

A lot of you seem to be thinking that she was called in a “Excuse me, you’re late on a payment” fashion. How come no one seems to emphasize the fact that she was called FOUR TIMES ON ONE DAY? Even if it’s not a real collection agency, that seems like something a real collection agency would do.

And to the people who say that the letter WAS a first notice – She received the notice 2 days ago, and the calls came yesterday (Sunday). So you expect her to pay her bill on a Saturday afternoon, in less than 24 hours? Cut her some slack, seriously.

69. OK, I get she was notified. But Blockbuster has done this to me REPEATEDLY – with NO notice whatsoever. For $4.39. I finally went in in a tizzy and said, wtf? They said, oh, we don’t have a credit card on file for you, so we send it to collections.

um, shouldn’t that be your LAST action? Try calling me, for god’s sake…

70. PinUp says:

I’ve had two experiences with Bloomingdale’s credit and the “collections” department (just another credit division, not a collection agency). One time was similar to the post; they called, I paid, story over.

The other time the bill went unpaid for a couple of months. It was during my divorce, and my ex had been ordered in court to pay that particular, but was being slow to pony up. That’s when the five-calls-a-day game started.

I explained the situation, but was told that I was still responsible for paying the debt (ok, fair enough sonce my name is on the account, too). They couldn’t reach me at one point because I was in hiding due to the circumstances of my separation from my then-husband (think restraining order), so they tried reaching me via HR at my job. I don’t so much have an issue with them calling HR, since they didn’t harass my coworkers and I was told that they were nice enough; however, I definitely have a problem with the credit rep implying he was an attorney.

The message was passed on to me that someone claiming to be an attorney had tried to reach me, and I returned the call immediately. The guy would only identify himself as Anthony from such-and-so law firm; now I’ve worked with quite a few lawyers (as coworkers in the same office, and received their services), and have not encountered any that only go by first name. When I asked directly, “Are you an attorney? Are you licensed to practice law in this state, or in another state where you are acting as an agent for Bloomingdale’s?” he wouldn’t answer me directly. He would only say he was Anthony from a law firm I’ve never heard of, and couldn’t even find definitive Google results on.

I don’t mind getting a call to collect a debt with my name on it. I do mind people misrepresenting themselves. Although I have to wonder how far behind the bill was in this posting, since in my experience the high-pressure tactics don’t start until the bill is quite late. Also, I’d be interested to know why she didn’t just pay the bill after the first call, or the next few calls, since it sounds like she was contacted quite a few times.

71. ohiomensch says:

@Rando:

Yes, I know I missed the statement, that was not the issue. The issue was that they began calling me 10 times a day two days after I missed the payment. And also that mailing the payment was unacceptable to get them to stop calling. They would not stop calling even tho my bank showed the check as clearing because their collection system had not posted the payment, even tho they had received it days before.

72. howie_in_az says:

After receiving a call early one Saturday morning from Target in an attempt to collect 11 cents (that’s $0.11), nothing surprises me anymore.

Added bonus: I didn’t even owe the 11 cents, it was a mistake on Target’s end.

73. Paintmann says:

Also, most companies will forgive a payment if the amount underpaid is 5.00 or less. No just send to collections.

74. MadMonk says:

It should be noted, these letters are typically generated by an automatic system. As already noted “collections” in this letter simply refers to the macys/bloomies collections department, meaning that an associate will be asked to follow up with the customer and make arrangements to pay off the remaining five dollars. In this case, if the cust really has spent a significant amount and has a good payment history, the associate will likely waive the fees associated with the late payment and arrange to bring the account to current status.