The US Isn’t the only wacky lawsuit country. In China, KFC won a defamation lawsuit filed by an elderly gentleman who accused the fast food chain of damaging his social standing, because he felt their “teadog set meal” implied that he and his grandson had become “dog friends.” [China Daily]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

…what?

2. faust1200 says:

I think this article was put through one of those cheap chinese to english translators.

3. Well, I can understand why the guy was mad… wait, no I can’t.

4. Crymson_77 says:

@AlteredBeast: I concur….

5. John says:

That was awesome. Man, I bet you could have convinced my grandfather that a happymeal had dog food in it. He’d have gotten mad at them and shouted something incomprehensible. All this while wearing a polyester jumpsuit and a cardigan. Man, those were the days.

6. EmperorOfCanada says:

You guys and your ‘blame the victim’ attitudes make me sick. Sure, this sounds funny to YOU, but imagine if you were in his shoes and you ate at a restaurant that called YOU a Dissolute Company.. not laughing NOW are you?

7. B says:

Is teadogging anything like teabagging? If so, he has a case.

8. Burgandy says:

My brain is spinning at all the ways “dogfriends” could be interprited, and none of them are ways a grandfather should ever interact with his grandson. Any guesses?

9. y0shidono says:

Anyone else notice the “Pilgrimige to Tibet” story on the right side of the page?

10. y0shidono says:

@Burgandy: From the article:

“– a term that means ‘a dissolute company’ in Chinese.”

11. Burgandy says:

Oops! When all else fails, read the article I guess.

12. Jetts says:

@EmperorOfCanada: Actually, I wasn’t laughing before your post, but I am now. Thanks!

13. homerjay says:

What an idiot. Everyone knows that teadogging means that your meal is MADE OF dog… Not that you are a dog for eating it.

Tourists.

14. Dobernala says:

Kentucky Fried Dog is all the rage in China.

15. kbarrett says:

I blame the OP.

16. magic8ball says:

OK, I know each of the words in the summary individually, but they’re put together in that order I have no clue what they mean. I’m scared to RTA now.

17. Crymson_77 says:

@Dobernala: In Canton, Kentucky Fried EVERYTHING is the rage… :)

18. jamar0303 says:

@B: OK- “teadog set” was lost in translation. It’s just a bunch of toys based on the Japanese Nintendo DS game Ochaken no Heya. I don’t understand why anyone would sue over those; guess there are old idiots in every country.

BTW- The game never saw an official release in China; however, a pirated translated version was passed around a lot and apparently KFC saw fit to profit from that. Imagine if such a thing happened in America.

19. CrazyRedd says:

Ochaken! I love these things! They were originally San-X characters, a splinter of Sanrio (Hello Kitty’s creators). They get lots of dumb little toys and stuff included in bottled tea promotions and fast food chains in Asia, though mostly Japan.

20. Kurtz says:

So KFC in the context means Kentucky Fried Canine? The KFC China boardmembers are probably high-fiving each other and saying “who’s the dissolute company now!”