Here’s a free idea for the taking: why doesn’t a bank (cough HSBC cough) offer the option to have text message alerts sent to a registered phone number any time a withdrawal is made from a specific account via ATM? “$120 was withdrawn at 2:51pm EST in Palo Verde, CA. Reference #293005” See how easy that was? Such exception-based reporting would drastically cut down on fraud (we’re guessing) by enlisting the help of customers to report unauthorized transactions immediately.
By cwalters March 8, 2008
More From Consumerist
- How Scammers Trick You Into Giving Up That Security Code On The Back Of Your Credit Card
- Would You Have Spotted This Skimmer Found On An ATM In Mexico?
- Citibank Apparently Hasn’t Heard About ATM Skimmers In Mexican Tourist Destination
- Average ATM Fees Hit Record High Of $4.52, Up 21% Over 5 Years
- Chase To Install Cardless ATMs That Offer A Variety Of Denominations