Here’s a free idea for the taking: why doesn’t a bank (cough HSBC cough) offer the option to have text message alerts sent to a registered phone number any time a withdrawal is made from a specific account via ATM? “$120 was withdrawn at 2:51pm EST in Palo Verde, CA. Reference #293005″ See how easy that was? Such exception-based reporting would drastically cut down on fraud (we’re guessing) by enlisting the help of customers to report unauthorized transactions immediately.
By cwalters March 8, 2008
More From Consumerist
- Teens Hack ATM, Then Show Bank How Easily They Did It
- How Scammers Trick You Into Giving Up That Security Code On The Back Of Your Credit Card
- ID Thieves Don’t Need PINs To Withdraw Cash From Debit Cards Stolen From Home Depot
- If You’re Going To Commit $175K In ID Theft, Don’t Do It Under Your Real Name
- Card Skimmers Still Found On Bank Lobby Card Readers