Find Cheapest Shipping Rates With ShipGooder

ShipGooder is a new free site that easily calculates for you the prices of various shipping options. Just enter the start and end zip code, the weight, and the number of packages. ShipGooder spits out the rates by carrier and shows you your various shipping options. A boon for frequent ebay users and small business owners.

ShipGooder [via Lifehacker]

Comments

1. MercuryPDX says:

“How does someone carry a 5-gallon punchbowl out of a Christmas party?” muses the hotel’s senior sales manager.

Let’s just say she wasn’t 9 months pregnant when we arrived at the party…

“But in earlier times, hotels expected – and even encouraged – pilfering by embossing their names or logos on objects”

I never got the memo saying otherwise.

2. Okaasan says:

Hey, this is nice to see now that United has limited us to 1 checked bag free. I always take an empty bag for bringing home presents from my one and only trip during the year. So now I’ll just look into shipping everything back home. If it’s less than $25, I’m in like Flint!

3. raehtz10 says:

That is a pretty cool little site they have here. Typically, I just go with USPS Priority Mail, but it is good to see the other options.

4. smitty1123 says:

ShipGooder? That name is the worstest name I’ve head all year.

/not a humourless english major

5. BlondeGrlz says:

@smitty1123: Seriously, I’m not sure I could trust them. ShipBetter was taken? ShipWell? ShipBest? SuperShip? ANYTHING else?

6. JStrulleh says:

Banquet chairs? Jesus Christ. But if you did have a nifty chair like that, why’d you ever want to return it? What’s the incentive here?

7. TechnoDestructo says:

I’d find it a lot more useful if it did international shipping. That’s far more of a minefield, and a lot harder to find a good deal since USPS did away with international surface mail.

I mean it’s got to be pretty important for anything bigger than a postcard to be worth sending nowadays.

@smitty1123:
    Probably, yes.

If you want to check it out, try typing any likely combination of two English words into the URL field of your browser. Most are taken by domain squatters.

If it’s something you might ever be interested in, I’d suggest you NOT check via whois lookup. Most such “services” will then immediately register the name you search and hold it hostage.

8. samurailynn says:

My mom used to take silverware from hotels that she stayed at. I don’t know why. But now I have all her old silverware and it includes several pieces of Red Lion, as well as the old pattern that we’d had since I was a kid. Honestly, I like these (both the old pattern and the Red Lion) because they feel nice and they don’t rust. I received a set of nice stainless steel flatware for a wedding present and it was rusting within a few months.

9. MercuryPDX says:

@samurailynn: My dad regularly steals the steak knives from Outback because he says they cut better.

10. Roadkill says:

@blondegrlz: Funny enough, I tried googling “ShipBetter” and it came up with your post.

Seriously, that name pains me. I can see myself using it, but I couldn’t see myself recommending it to someone (no matter how good) because I’d sound like a moron for a bit. “You should use ShipGooder!” *facepalm*

11. StevieD says:

I found significant errors with the listed UPS rates.

12. Sure I could agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. says:

But does it take into account the various discounts that you get if you have an account with the company?

For instance, I have an account with Fedex, which I opened through a promotion, and I get a fixed discount off all rates…

13. samurailynn says:

@MercuryPDX: Tell him to try JA Henckels – I think their knives are amazing. Of course, they don’t come with a steak from the Outback.

14. Sure I could agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. says:

My Fedex is gooder than my UPS discount, which is goodly enough.

Does George W. Bush own this site?

Can anyone say Noo-Kyoo-Lar?

15. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

“We help you find the goodest rates, which are more better than our competion.”

16. BlondeGrlz says:

@Roadkill: Ha! I was googled. I think I’ll start ShipBetter(tm) just so I look smarter than these folks.

17. bohemian says:

If people want restaurant cutlery just go buy some at a restaurant supply store. Most sell to the public and all that cool last forever stuff is cheaper than anything even near comparable in the big box or department stores.

For about the same price we got pub glasses at the restaurant supply store as we paid for them elsewhere. The ones from the restaurant supply store are super thick and have an inner subtle texture to resist things from sticking. They are nearly indestructible because they have to go through commercial dishwashers. Our regular store ones are half gone due to breakage.

I don’t get stealing stuff out of hotels either. Beyond the small toiletries (only if they are really great stuff) and maybe the pens and note pads why would anyone steal stuff. I do think some of the hotels have found a way to profit off of this both Hyatt and Hilton now have better stuff in the rooms and have the stuff for sale on their websites. I think if you do pilfer something they are going to just call it an onsite purchase and charge your card.

This is about they only hotel item I would ever ponder swiping but they have them for sale on their web site, I need to remember to finally buy one.
    [www.hamptonhomecollection.com]

18. balthisar says:

Wow. I must be weird. The closest I’ve ever come to that type of theft was giving a waiter a couple of bucks to look the other way when I lifted the restaurant’s private label chili pepper sauce (and only after asking if they sold them, which they didn’t).

The pens from Residence Inns are “free,” right? Got me a good collection of them, and the paper pads. They’re like soap and shampoo as far as I can figger.

19. humphrmi says:

Back in the olden days, hotel towels were actually well-manufactured, fluffy affairs that were worth stealing. Stealing them now would be akin to taking a roll of paper towels.

When I was younger, I used to take some amount of joy in “pilfering” the hotel toiletries – shampoo, etc. I guess it’s not really stealing when you put them in your suitcase, and the next day they give you more. Eventually the appeal wore off though.

@bohemian:

But then when you die, your grandkids will go through your stuff, find the cutlery, think you stole it, and return it to the restaurant!

20. trujunglist says:

@humphrmi:

I can’t help myself, but I always take the soap and shampoos. I got into the habit when I was like 7 and didn’t even realize that I was saving money for my parents by doing so, I was just weird and liked to see how much soap they would give me if I kept asking for it and then combining them into one huge ball of soap when I got back from the trip.
    Now I take them to save myself the 99 cents for a bottle of shampoo. Also, those little bars are nice for hand soap in the kitchen/bathroom.

21. Hoss says:

@blondegrlz: They dont seem to improve the quality of the shipment — so I submit “Cheapship” — which just happens to be very similar to my middle name

22. RvLeshrac says:

@dooleymtv:

I tried pronouncing it “noo-kyoo-lar” once, but I experienced an involuntary muscle contraction that slammed my fist into my face before I got it all out.

@Hossofcourse:

cheapship.com is taken. :/

23. BlondeGrlz says:

@Hossofcourse: @RvLeshrac: How about Shipcheaper.com? Not taken and to the point. It can have some sort of cute baby chick mascot. Get it? Cheap/cheep? I’m a marketing GENIUS.

24. I tried to take a cheese grater from Olive Garden, but someone from my party beat me to it.

25. ekthesy says:

I got major brownie points for pointing this out to my boss today. Thanks Consumerist!

26. uricmu says:

Actually, the mini-toileteries at hotel are perfect for flying, they’re all under the ounce request.

27. mac-phisto says:

i’ve got news for you. if you’re missing crap like punch bowls & banquet chairs, you need to start combing thru old employee listings. patrons may get away with glasses & silverware, but punchbowls only disappear when they’re empty & that’s usually after the guests leave.

28. Papagoose says:

Way to start my day – according to ShipGooder, I overpaid $50 to ship Christmas presents home in December. I feel badder now.

29. MeOhMy says:

Ahh the golden days of travel when airplanes had cachet and hotels had stuff that was worth stealing.

30. Starfury says:

I’ve found that FedEx ground is cheapest for larger packages; if it’s boook/DVD then I’ll use Media Mail. Smaller stuff, up to about 2-3 pounds they’re all about the same.

31. Gazpacho says:

Besides the name, my only problem with this is the lack of box size. For example, UPS may go by dimensional weight or actual weight depending on box size. Right now a 20 cube box going to California runs around $60 as long as it is below 120 pounds if I remember correctly.

32. MomOfThree says:

Shipgooder is indeed nice to compare the major couriers rates. But then I found another website http://www.iesexpress.com which is a licensed sevicer provider for DHL actually offers the cheapest shipping rates, cheaper than DHL themself. This site also gives enterprise discount and savings, online label printing and live chat.

33. MomOfThree says:

You cannot ship with shipgooder, it redirects you to the courier websites. http://www.iesexpress.com is another good site to check out for the cheapest shipping rates. You can print label and get free pickup and shipping supplies from them.