Man With Loaded Gun Slips Past Ronald Reagan Airport Security

A man carrying a loaded gun passed through the security checkpoint at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport without incident this past Sunday, apparently because the gun wasn’t floating in a shampoo bottle or hidden in a shoe. He then remembered he was carrying it and brought it back to the TSA authorities, who promptly charged him with “possessing or transporting a firearm into an air carrier terminal where prohibited, a misdemeanor, and released him.”

The screener who didn’t notice the gun has been removed from security duty while the TSA investigates, and they insist this was an isolated incident:

We know this is not a systemic problem in that our testing indicates TSOs [Transportation Security Officers] have a very high success rate at finding firearms. Given the high degree of reliability that our TSOs can find even carefully concealed firearms, we are evaluating every aspect of this incident.

“Loaded gun slips through airport security” [CNN]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. LiC says:

Why’d he go back? Was he in law enforcement? Who hunts near DC? What kind of gun was it? Was it an antique? 6 shooter? Rifle?

Details, details! Aw, darn.

2. Comeaja says:

Wow. The Airports have stopped every little thing from getting by! Shampoo bombs, sharp objects, Guns… Oh wait, no?

3. UpsetPanda says:

Who the heck carries a loaded gun through security, and if they’re in law enforcement, how the heck do you forget?

4. IphtashuFitz says:

Yeahbut…

They’re not taking this incident seriously…

5. vildechaia says:

Well, are we surprised? It sounds like the TSA must have some kind of “illiteracy test” that must be taken before they hire someone.

6. Funny… I walked right through LAX with a pocket knife which was attached to my key chain which was wide out in the open (“please remove all metallic objects and place them in the bin”, sound familiar?) and made it past security with it. Then I checked my stuff and noticed I still had my pocket knife. I walked straight back and surrendered it no questions asked. But I wasn’t charged with anything. I just turned around and walked away. Why was this guy charged?

7. lazyazz says:

That’ll teach him to be honest.

8. IphtashuFitz says:

@UpsetPanda: I once had some training with a US Coast Guard law enforcement training officer (he trains other Coasties in law enforcement). To assist in his training he had one of those fake bright red rubber guns. He told me how one day he was in such a rush that he forgot he put it in his carry-on luggage. When he went through security at the airport (I forget which one) they spotted the outline of a gun in the x-ray machine and immediately pinned him up against a wall. After they realized it was a fake and he showed them his badge & other ID and explained why he had it they let him go after a stern lecture.

And that was years before 9/11…

9. mantari says:

LESSON LEARNED: If you found out you accidently brought a prohibited item past a checkpoint, don’t tell on yourself!

Thanks for the education?

10. El_Guapo says:

Nice work, Lou.

11. SeraSera says:

Reagan did, however, successfully confiscate my oversized tub of Bath and Body Works body wash.

12. tk427 says:

misdemeanor? That’s what bothers me.

13. rhombopteryx says:

They reeeeeallly thought that one through.

“What should we do to the infrequent (but gonnna eventually happen from time to time) person who accidentally gets through with a gun?”

Ohh, Ohh, I know! Bust him pronto and make an example and look like we are overreacting to cover our own ineptitude!! Let’s make sure that absolutely no one who ever slips up will self-report in the future.
    Think about it. If the goal is less guns on planes, an important aspect of that is make it easy, not insanely hard, to correct situations where one accidentally gets on.
    Has the TSA ever, ever done the right thing? I mean, really, blind squirrels find acorns sometimes and stopped clocks are right 2x daily and all that, but has the TSA ever, ever chosen the wiser or more sensible choice in any given situation?

14. lazyazz says:

I like this from the origional article:

“We know this is not a systemic problem in that our testing indicates TSOs [Transportation Security Officers] have a very high success rate at finding firearms. Given the high degree of reliability that our TSOs can find even carefully concealed firearms, we are evaluating every aspect of this incident,”

I guess the ‘very high success rate’ is gathered by comparing the number of firearms they find to the ones that they do not find.

15. Nakko says:

I need to try Scotch-taping a loaded firearm to my face.
    See if they’ll catch that one. Just see.

16. Amelie says:

“A man carrying a loaded gun passed through the security checkpoint …. apparently because the gun wasn’t floating in a shampoo bottle or hidden in a shoe.”

Your writing style Mr. Walters, melts my jaded heart. Oh please do write more stories!

17. JiminyChristmas says:

Virginia is a ‘shall issue’ state. That means so long as you’re not a felon or adjudicated mentally ill it’s legal to carry a concealed handgun. So, if you’re accustomed to carrying a gun every day I can see how you can put in your briefcase and forget to take it out when you take the occasional airplane flight.

Also, it gives me a chuckle to hear a TSA spokesman say they “have a very high success rate at finding firearms.” He carefully elides the fact that when screeners have been tested by TSA ‘red teams’ they failed to find mock explosives anywhere from 20% to 90% of the time.

18. CurbRunner says:

TSA’s statement that “We know this is not a systemic problem in that our testing indicates TSOs [Transportation Security Officers] have a very high success rate at finding firearms.” is pure myopic spin.

The allegation that their problem is not, as they say, “systemic”, is irrelevant.
    The fact that it only takes one of their non-systemic failures to bring down a plane is what’s very relevant.

19. esqdork says:

The TSA at Reagan are good at confiscating a bar of fruit preserves I tried to bring through the security checkpoint. I kid you not, the explanation was that the viscosity of the preserves was too close to liquid. I suppose a gun is not at all liquidity.

20. rewinditback says:

Bake em’ away toys!

21. protest says:

tso’s suck, we’ve already established that, now their suckiness has reached a broader audience. kudos.

to all who are questioning why he would turn himself in, can you imagine what would have happened to him if he boarded the plane and someone saw it en route?? he wisely chose the lesser of two shitty situations.

22. Teradoc says:

I feel safer already

23. m0unds says:

The TSA, of course, couldn’t just admit to a complete and utter cock-up and accept the blame and appreciate the honesty of the guy. Imagine what would have happened if he hadn’t realized he was carrying it and boarded the plane and had a flight attendant or another passenger notice it while in flight or something.

24. secretcurse says:

Even if the guy wasn’t in law enforcement, he may’ve had a concealed carry permit for the gun. That doesn’t make it legal to carry in an airport of course, but it seems pretty definite that this guy made an honest mistake and reported it. I’m sure that’s why he got a misdemeanor.

25. NightSteel says:

@mantari:

Protest has it right, if he’d been caught, he’d have been raked over the coals.

Too bad he didn’t have a car or family member he could’ve quickly run it out to. Sure, he’d have had to go through security again, but I’d rather do that than be charged with a crime.

26. sleze69 says:

Now, now everyone. While they may not be so good at catching fire arms, they are almost 100% at catching dangerous things like water and toothpaste.

27. LeJerque says:

Next time I fly, I’m going to bring on a sculpted Jell-O dessert, in the shape of a gun, made from *exactly* three ounces of gelatin. It will be difficult to determine whether it is a solid or liquid, whether it is too much liquid (if it’s a liquid), and whether it constitutes a weapon.

Furthermore, I’m going to put it in a separate baggie, but that baggie will be in my shoe.

I will bring this to the checkpoint and watch their heads explode.

The downside is, after that, all human heads will be deemed too dangerous to fly with.

28. Dibbler says:

Why would you go back and give them the gun or knife? They don’t check you when you leave the plane do they? If I made it through I’d just keep going and continue on with my life. The last thing I want to do is draw the attention of a bunch of idiots…

29. magic8ball says:

Several years prior to 9/11, my Mom forgot she had a .38 in her purse when she dropped me off at the airport. She was in line to go through security when she saw the little pictures of prohibited items and suddenly remembered. She’s not in law enforcement or anything; she just carries literally everywhere she goes – work, grocery store, church, bank, etc. It’s so much a part of her routine that she really just forgot that she couldn’t take it in the airport.

30. forgottenpassword says:

Dont ya just love it when people are punished for doing the right thing? :( In this case realizing they made a mistake & wanting to correct it.

I wonder if this was just a punishment because it made the TSA look like tards missing a gun.

I dont know how many times I have accidentally walked into a government building or a bank with a pocketknife in my back pocket without realizing it.

31. socalrob of the 24 and a half century says:

Guns are neither Shampoo, Hand Sanitizer, Batteries, Shoes, Zippo Lighters or Nail Clippers and therefore present no threat to the safety of our flight crew and passengers health from smoking or hygiene. For we all know that the future terrorist are more likely to sanatize us from all our germs and shampoo our hair and be nice enough to replace the batteries in our childrens gameboys.

I have a feeling that the TSA sheet said to watch out for Hair Stylists and people who work at radio shack.

32. bdslack says:

charged him with “possessing or transporting a firearm into an air carrier terminal where prohibited, a misdemeanor.

Great it is a misdemeanor. That’s gonna help me sleep at night.

They should just take his or her gun and put a round in his thigh. Right there in the middle of the airport. Two guys holding him down and “POP”.

Do that 3-4 times and people won’t “forget” anymore. If you get onto the plane with it, you take one in the forehead.

33. rhombopteryx says:

@secretcurse:

I’m sure that’s why he got a misdemeanor.

As opposed to a felony? As opposed to life in prison? As opposed to being shot on the spot? How is it somehow ok to charge someone with a crime and give them a criminal record for doing the right thing? Charging this person at all shows that the TSA doesn’t care about guns on planes, they care about rules being enforced for the sake of the rules themselves (not safety) and face being saved and sentences being handed down.

34. TechnoDestructo says:

Utter bullshit. If it were a systemic problem, they’d never know. The only reason they found this guy was he came forward.

“Given the high degree of reliability that our TSOs can find even carefully concealed firearms, we are evaluating every aspect of this incident.”

Also bullshit. Their TSOs high reliability isn’t a reason for an investigation. Doubts about their reliability are.

This is just some PR scumbag following some “never admit weakness even when you’re admitting weakness” doctrine.

@UpsetPanda:
    If you’re used to carrying it all the time, if you’re accustomed to it being there, and you don’t think about it, you could forget.

@Dibbler:
    Once he realized he had it was probably afraid of what would happen on the off chance that someone noticed he had it when he was inside the “secure” area. I’m sure he’d be in a lot more trouble. (IMO he should be in zero trouble right now)

35. humphrmi says:

This happens a lot and whether we know it or not, we rely on the sanity of the gun carrier to not go ballistic (no pun intended) during flight. When I worked airport security 25 years ago, I caught a guy at Sea-Tac with a loaded firearm in his carry-on. While the police were interveiwing him, he said that he carried the gun with him everywhere (for protection), and had been flying cross country on busines regularly for the last couple weeks, and had in fact just arrived at Sea-Tac from Chicago, where he had gotten through security with no problem.

36. Crymson_77 says:

@bdslack: That’s a great way to make no one admit to anything ever…as if we didn’t already have a problem…

@rhombopteryx: Agreed wholeheartedly. Of course, as said previously by others, chances are people in the future will just say nothing and get on with life. Sounds like this poor sap should have done the same. He could have always mailed it back to himself via FedEx…

37. canerican says:

If the gun was legal, and he obviously wasn’t trying to do anything wrong, why should he be charged with anything? Its obvious that it was an honest mistake because he brought it back.
    Its just a gun, and the guy did absolutely nothing wrong. I don’t think that I would ever forget my pistol was in its holster… but they are pretty comfortable… like a wallet. Cut the guy some slack.

38. inelegy says:

Wait a minute. You’re telling me that airport security is another ineffective government boondoggle?

I AM SHOCKED!

Who do we sue when hijacked airliners start hitting crap again?

39. Handles25 says:

@LeJerque:

Post of the year, hands down.

40. Joafu says:

Please tell me that at least the Herbal Essences did not make it on that plane!

41. insightpatch says:

@Joafu: I don’t seem to remember the TSA deeming hairgasms a threat to national security.

42. MarkMadsen'sDanceInstructor says:

If they start charging people for voluntarily reporting things like this, who is going to voluntarily report from now on?

43. PølάrβǽЯ says:

@bdslack: Lamest post of the year, hands down. The guy made an honest mistake, and REPORTED HIMSELF.

44. scoosdad says:

@canerican: Prediction: This guy’s misdemeanor charge will be dismissed once he gets into court. His lawyer: honest mistake your honor, he tried to do the right thing by surrendering it to authorities, and yet he gets bagged.

45. asujosh1 says:

why don’t they just stop this problem of having to find weapons and terrorism in one step. Issue every adult a handgun when they are boarding the plane. Who’s going to mess with planes full of people carrying guns?

It would be like a scene out of Police Squad, the bad guy pulls out a gun and then everyone else on the plan pulls one out and points it at him.

46. forgottenpassword says:

And if this guy is indeed a legal “concealed carry” holder…. he may get his permit/license revoked.

A lot of CCW states have pretty strict rules about mistakes like this.

47. Joafu says:

@insightpatch: Just wait for the statistics to show that nine planes out of ten experience turbulence due to aggressive shower taking.

48. Trauma_Hound says:

They must of missed it while they were strip searching the 5 year old, because his name was on the no fly list.

49. MeOhMy says:

I had a similar thing happen to me…early flight, got up at 4AM, wasn’t thinking and stuck my folding knife in my pocket. Got to the airport, dropped it in the bucket with my wallet and keys and picked it up on the other side before I even realized.

I wanted to do the “right” thing, but I figured that my “reward” would at the very least being detained, missing my flight and my ship’s departure, but more likely I’d probably be charged with a crime. Based on this story, I made the right move.

Can we disband DHS yet?

50. dgcaste says:

The TSA, without warning, slashed the back of my daughter’s Elmo doll to see if there was anything stuff inside.

51. dgcaste says:

@bdslack: OH MY FUCKING GOD, you should be the one taking one in the forehead. but I don’t mean a bullet, I mean a fat money shot.

52. ivanthepig says:

Alright, so a guy gets through airport security. Is honest enough to bring it back, yet still gets charged? Also, not that I’m FOR the TSA authorities – but judging based on how this is an isolated incident, does it really need to be reported on so highly? The story gives the reader an illusion of “this happens all the time”. Luckily, I still think the TSA is a waste of money.

53. shrtcrt says:

I have a permit to carry concealed and mine is everywhere. It is like having my watch or wallet on me, just a natural thing. I don’t think he snuck it past, probably just forgot. I also don’t think it is illegal to carry in an airport in a non secure zone. In this case, the charge was a bit much. I hope the local DA throws it out.

Pretty soon we will be issued a special suit to fly in and be allowed to carry nothing. They will have shops when you get off the plane to sell you everything you need at a reasonable 100% mark-up.

54. cronick says:

The idiot goons at the TSA should be the ones who are going to jail… not the guy who pointed out what incompetent idiots the TSA goons really are.

Hating to draw comparisons with the fascist dictators around the world that they support, I can only be glad that the Bush Administration, the TSA and Homeland Security are too incompetent to successfully overthrow the Constitution… at least for the time being.

55. ExtraCelestial says:

@rhombopteryx:
    Didn’t Consumerist post an article about how TSA had a surprise check where they asked random “real” people to carry contraband and see if they would detect it and they scored incredibly poor? I vaguely recall some of the comments.. or did I just combine a few articles leaving only the parts I liked to create my own super article?

56. dodonnell says:

@IphtashuFitz: … and years before the establishment of the TSA, right?

57. dodonnell says:

@magic8ball: Your mom carries a (presumably loaded) gun with her *TO CHURCH*?! What level of paranoia induces that kind of behavior? Is she afraid her fellow congregants are going to rob her?

58. ripple says:

Im sure none of you ever make a mistake at work either.

59. spinachdip says:

@ripple: Oh, do I ever! Why, just last week, I used “compliment” when I meant “complement”, and a plane got hijacked! Boy, I thought I’d never live that down!

Seriously, I hate obtuse dipshit comments like this. The point isn’t that some TSA wage slave made a mistake. Of course he does, because he’s an ill-trained wage slave. THAT is the point – it’s not that an error was made, but that there’s a systemic problem.

60. Parting says:

They actually charged him??? What assh@les! The guy didn’t commit a crime. Was there any brain-eating zombies around TSA in this airport?

61. banmojo says:

this is bullshit; yet another eg of TSA’s ineptitude. they had some nerve to arrest/charge him with any crime. what pathetic assholes. I hate TSA, I hate the dickweeds that think TSA enhances our security, I hate the complacency we all feel regarding this on multiple levels. Bull Effing Shit.

62. Parting says:

@dodonnell: I’m all for tasers :) Especially new model that you can play mp3. If a person fells insecure, they should carry a taser, not a gun. Less letal paranoia.

63. bdslack says:

@aaron8301:

Honestly, I knew not one – but two people who were on the 9/11 flights, and have two brothers in active duty in Iraq. Think about that for more than two seconds. Has it been that long that we have all forgotten what happened?

So much so that some self centered asshole who is too busy thinking about himself walks straight through a security check point with a loaded sidearm and people are bitching that he got a stupid ticket? Everybody likes to bitch and joke about the TSA, but can you imagine what it was like for the people and their families on 9/11?

I personally think all of the TSA employees should carry automatics just the same as in other countries.
    They should be paid at least six figures, and anyone that “forgets” that he just breached security with a sidearm should spend at least six months behind bars and be fined 100,000.00.

In fact I think that they should make the fine a “bonus” to the TSA employee that finds the weapon. They can either choose the cash or the chance to nail one home in the offender’s thigh. You know that the TSA employees are “about up to here” putting up with the general populations bullshit by now.

64. cloudedice says:

At least they’re not taking it very seriously.

65. magic8ball says:

@dodonnell: She had a reeeeeally bad experience with an ex-husband. After that she just started carrying everywhere she went. I don’t think she seriously expects anyone to try to kill her at church (or the grocery store, etc.); like I said, it’s just part of her routine: leave house = take gun.

66. BlakeO says:

@bdslack:

Nobody would deny that 9/11 was a tragedy, but I fail to see the logic in using the attacks as excuses for completely disregarding our Constitutional rights or any rights as citizens in a modern, developed nation. I can only hope you were exagerating in much of what you said.

If you would like to live in a police state, by all means do so; I, however, would not like to see people punished for what likely amounts to simple mistakes. Bear in mind that the hijackings on 9/11 were done with items such as box-cutters, which were allowed through security.

67. bdslack says:

@BlakeO:
    Let’s get something straight – your right to bear arms is not extended to public planes and airports. It’s pretty well pointed out by the big signs, the medal detectors and the x-ray equipment. You know when I think of modern, and developed, my thoughts immediately stray to “handguns”.

Let’s also reward the smokers that walk into gas refineries puffing away, and the parachuter that glides directly into a boxing ring on fight night. There’s nothing that makes me feel safer in an airport than the asshole with a loaded weapon hiding behind free speech and his Constitutional rights.

It’s OK in our society for the casino bosses to take you out back and beat you within an inch of your life for counting cards, but walk through an airport with a weapon? Give him a reward for showing us all that he is an “American”!

68. brokeincollege says:

What makes you think they won’t PLANT a gun on people, bust them, and collect the bonus? I personally think TSA should be disbanded and Chertoff and Hawley deported to some third world communist country.

69. RvLeshrac says:

@bdslack:

I’m a “gun control for everyone or no one” advocate.

If you take the second clause of the second amendment as “The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” then, coupled with the 9th and 14th amendments, any law, federal or state, abridging that right is immediately and fully unconstitutional. That includes any law prohibiting you from carrying that firearm into a government building.

The government holds absolutely no (constitutionally granted) power to restrict or delimit rights expressly granted in the constitution.

It SHOULD be the reading of the 9th amendment that the government holds no power to delimit any rights not expressly covered by the granted powers of government as enumerated in the constitution, in addition to the inability to restrict or delimit any of the rights expressly enumerated in the constitution.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case. The government, including the SCOTUS, has taken the 9th amendment as a blank space meaning nothing at all; despite the expressly stated intent of the amendment as laid out by the Founders, the SCOTUS has taken to the opinion that the 9th amendment expressly prohibits the government restriction of rights unless the government has restricted those rights.

Which makes all kinds of logical (and semantic) sense.

70. bdslack says:

@brokeincollege:

Here’s my plan for all government employees….
    Pay them all 10X what they get now.
    Pay the President 10M per year.
    Pay the Congressmen 2M a year.
    Pay cops 150K a year

This is the top side of the coin, the other side is that accepting bribes, or kickbacks, or any other pork barreling corruption B.S. then they get harsh prison penalties and they must pay back ALL of the money earned while in office. The TSA should be no different.

Same for news reporters (A.K.A. Fox)

71. BlakeO says:

@bdslack:

Yes, I agree with what you say. There are of course restrictions on such Constitutional rights as bearing arms…he DID break a law, and I would be foolish to praise him for carrying his gun into the secure area. However, as others have pointed out: Would you rather he be punished for turning the gun in, or the TSA be reprimanded for allowing yet another piece of real contraband (not water, shampoo, etc.) through?

The serious problem here is the ineptitude of the TSA at enforcing restrictions and bans on dangerous items, instead trying to simply appear vigilent and thurough in the public eye (like they haven’t already blown that one).

72. RvLeshrac says:

@bdslack:

Congressmen, senators, the President, SCOTUS appointees, cabinet appointees, and all other elected and appointed officials should be paid minimum wage, and should receive the most basic health care package available. Perhaps then they might focus more on the rights of the people, as they would no longer be fat and wealthy.

The down side is that it would be much easier to bribe them. The up side is that they would be much easier to dispose of.

73. RvLeshrac says:

@RvLeshrac:

I should specify “the federal minimum wage.”

74. bdslack says:

@RvLeshrac:

Well I can respect your viewpoint, but do you really think the founding fathers had any idea when they drafted “The Right to Bear Arms” that it would translate to some knee jerk crazy standing in a Auntie Anne’s pretzel shop in LAX fingering a walter ppk? Honestly when I see a handgun flash under a jacket in the airport my first thoughts are “I sure hope everyone has one of those on them”, just so that we are ALL safe.

The beauty in the US is that we can SAY anything we want (at least not “FIRE” in a crowded movie theater). Wielding a pistol is a right (like driving a car), given to you by the state (hence the little cards) and should be revoked if you pull stupid ass stunts like walking into an airport with it. As someone that works with the brain and neurological disorders, I can tell you this for sure – crazy is crazy. Some people (a much larger portion of society than anyone understands) is simply not fit to carry a weapon of any kind.

Our community has evolved since the country was founded, we are much more complex. When the constitution was first drafted our court systems had not yet been placed, and a public police force was not yet enacted. I think it is perfectly acceptable to OWN firearms. I know people that own thousands of them (and they are CRAZY), but don’t carry them around in public when the public as a whole has determined that we as a society can’t responsibly respect the right.

75. lovelygirl says:

WTF? The man was honest enough to go back and say ‘here’s my gun!’ Why couldn’t they just say ‘hey buddy, thanks for being honest but we have to keep this and you need to be screened again just in case and then you run along and have a nice flight?’ Why would people be honest if they’re going to get themselves in so much trouble? Don’t punish the good among us…

76. CapitalC says:

“What is that, a bowling-ball candle? A hair-drier with a scope? No worries.”

I’ve accidentally made it thru security with a 5″ folding knife … not once, but twice on the same trip. I thought about writing a letter to let them know they’re such idiots, but I really don’t feel like getting charged with something.

77. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Marge: I thought you said the law was powerless.

Chief Wiggum: Powerless to *help* you, not punish you.

And so, once again, law enforcement deals with somebody trying to admit an honest mistake by arresting them. I love AmeЯika.

How about “Thank you for coming back and turning in the firearm, we appreciate your honesty and concern for the safety of the other passengers.

78. Trai_Dep says:

A well-armed passenger cabin is a polite passenger cabin.

79. cde says:

@bdslack: OMFG CAUSE AIRPORTS ARE SO DIFFERENT THEN ANY OTHER PLACE WITH PEOPLE IN IT!!!111one

Oh, and the thing about 9/11, the weapons were gathered by the terrorists with LEGIT passports AFTER the security point.

And wtf does Iraq have to do with this? Last I heard, we went into iraq because of WMDS and freedom, not 9/11 terrorists based from Afganistan…

80. Pelagius says:

“our testing indicates TSOs [Transportation Security Officers] have a very high success rate at finding firearms.”

Is that the same testing that indicated how easy it is to slip explosive devices past security? Just wonderin’

81. Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen says:

Am I missing something obvious here?

Was the metal detector not working?

82. kimsama says:

@spinachdip: Hahahaha, that extremely made my day.

83. What The Geek says:

I call shenanigans on the TSA here. I know of several people who have got a gun onto a plane. Fortunately, they’re all people who have legitimate reasons to own a guy (military) and pose no risk to much of anyone. However, it does prove the point that all of the toothpaste they confiscate, and all of the shoes that are removed in airports across the country only serve to make people feel safe – not to actually make things safer.

84. What The Geek says:

I’d also like to point out that, simply because I wear a leather trench coat and have a pony tail, I get frisked vigorously, and have the contents of my carry on removed and displayed for all to see every time I attempt to board a plane. I don’t own a gun, and I’ve got no interest in hijacking a plane, however, every time I go to an airport I get selected “randomly” for “special screening’ Meanwhile, other people are bringing guns onto planes all willy nilly while the TSO’s are waving their metal detecting wand all around my groin and anus…. god bless America.

85. yg17 says:

I don’t know who the bigger moron is….the TSA agent who didn’t spot a gun, or the guy who thinks it’s OK to bring a gun to the airport.

86. cerbie says:

@bdslack: You are a prime example of one who deserves neither security nor freedom.

Attitudes changed. Before the fourth flight could be made to hit wherever it was intended to, the mindset allowing it to happen had changed. The TSA had, and now still has, nothing to do with it. Nothing the TSA will find will make you safer. Passengers and pilots not submitting because of box cutters makes us safer. The fourth plane didn’t make it because of that change, and by the next morning, nothing like that could happen again. Passengers and pilots will not allow it. That has made flying safer.

The right to bear arms may not be exactly what it was originally made—but that’s why most of us are OK with some level of gun control. However, the primary purpose is to protect one’s self and family. The police do not do that. You could be dead by the time they get there.

Personally, I’d feel much safer knowing several folks were carrying concealed weapons on a flight than having confidence such people were specifically not carrying them.

87. Skiffer says:

@IphtashuFitz: Exactly what I was thinking…

88. JMH says:

“a very high success rate”? How about finding ALL of them?

89. vladthepaler says:

Isn’t it legal to carry a gun on a plane so long as it is in a ziploc bag and contains no more than 2oz of liquid?

90. Walter Sobchek says:

This should come as no big surprise, last flight I was on out of Vegas, they spent 5 minutes looking through my shampoo, deodorant, Pepto-bismol, ans the other crap I had in my toiletry bag, while my fiance strolled through behind me with, as we discovered once we got home, TWO corkscrews, one with a big knife on it, my 5″ pocketknife, and a can of mace. They were so busy arguing about why my liquids weren’t in a plastic bag, and trying to make me throw them away, and they had no idea. Get real, people, airport security is psychological manipulation, not a coherent plan to keep dangerous items (or people) off airplanes.

91. B1663R says:

@magic8ball: i can totally see your mom at church busting out her .38 “what the fu*k did you say ’bout Jesus?”

92. niteflytes says:

I’ve never carried a gun so maybe this is a dumb question but…how does one forget they are carrying a gun? Yeah, I sometimes look in my purse and think, wow, I forgot I put that fork in there the other day, but a gun? I dunno…I think I’d remember if I had gun with me.

93. evilconsumer says:

And i get a full cavity search because i refuse to discard my prescription toothpaste which is below the 100 grams.

94. jimconsumer says:

@niteflytes: “I’ve never carried a gun so maybe this is a dumb question but…how does one forget they are carrying a gun?”

Easy, for those of us who carry every day: We get used to it. If I handed you a gun to carry around, you would be a bit freaked out at the thought, I am guessing, and would think about it constantly. However, after you’ve been carrying it every day for a few years, you can easily forget it’s there unless you need it.

A gun is no different than any other object in this respect. I’ve walked through airport security with my belt on and had the thing “ding” at me several times. Why, I just forgot I had a metal object (belt buckle) fastened around my waist. I’m so used to it being there, it’s almost a part of me.