Get Tax Advice Over The Phone With FreeTaxQuestion.com

If you’re uncertain about something on your taxes, you can get free tax advice over the phone until Jan. 31, thanks to a special TurboTax promotion at FreeTaxQuestion.com. Just enter your question and name, phone, email, and best time to reach you, and an IRS enrolled tax pro will call you and help you out. If you’re worried that this is just a lead generation ploy, use a disposable email address and disposable phone number. The FiLife blog tried it and had to submit their question twice, but they got it answered and answered good. They said that TurboTax was casually mentioned among the array of options one could use to finish filing, but there was otherwise no overt product pushing.

FreeTaxQuestion [Official Site]

Comments

1. NotATool says:

Can’t you get free tax advice directly from the IRS by calling their taxpayer help number?

2. RandoX says:

…and if they give you BAD advice?

3. pepe prawn says:

i heard (don’t have the statistics/study) that even the irs gives out incorrect information when you call their toll-free number for help. not too sure if using the turbotax folks would be any better.

4. RottNDude says:

but they got it answered and answered good.

Answered well, Ben…

5. Ben Popken says:

@RottNDude: I was being colloquial!

6. RottNDude says:

Sorry, Ben… though your track record leaves you open to such nitpicking!

7. teh says:

@Ben Popken: Think about your audience; using colloquial English is a bad choice.

8. RandoX says:

It’s ok, Ben. Your audience was just being pedantic.

9. RottNDude says:

@RandoX:

10. RottNDude says:

Whoops, I meant:

11. VidaLondres says:

I’m really sick of all the grammar and spelling police around here. You come here to read the content of the blog because the editors are intelligent and write interesting stories. Just because someone forgets to hit spellcheck before a post does not instantly make you oh-so-smarter than them. If you feel they’re so stupid and you are so intelligent, put your grammar and spelling editing skills into writing your own blog. I’m not going to read it anyway.

People, pay attention to the content and stop being all high and mighty because someone who writes articles on the internet for a living (which means all day, everyday) let something slip. It makes the commenters look childish, and it’s honestly not very encouraging to the writers.

12. SuperJdynamite says:

@VidaLondres: “I’m really sick of all the grammar and spelling police around here.”

I consider it attention to detail — something I look for in every profession from writers to doctors to contractors.

13. RottNDude says:

@VidaLondres: If the editors were intelligent, would they really be making so many spelling and grammar mistakes? You’ve just succeeded in contradicting yourself.

Someone who writes articles “all day, every day” on a highly trafficked and supposedly respected site should have the necessary skills to ensure that their spelling and grammar fall within acceptable guidelines. One does not typically see these sort of screw-ups in popular magazines, newspapers, or even other Gawker Media sites.

I generally like Ben, visit the site frequently, and appreciate the information the site provides, but he needs to realize that presentation is important if he expects to be taken seriously.

Frequent grammar and spelling errors and misplaced or inappropriate colloquialisms do little to inspire confidence and a sense of legitimacy. This site is all about the consumer, and as the consumer of this particular media I don’t feel it inappropriate to complain about such issues.

14. rhombopteryx says:

I just want a thread where I can mock the ineptitude of the free tax advice providers without dodging off-topic grammar fights. And I’d rather not see Family Guy images used without proper copyright authorization. If the posts must be off-topic, make them like every other blog post flame war, and have them devolve into fair-use arguments or allegations of Naziism.

15. autumnmist says:

Well, I did get a call back from them within 30 minutes of submitting my question… I’m not 100% sure I believe them but…

(the question relates to whether a graduate student stipend can be considered taxable compensation so that it can be used to make contributions into a Roth IRA… I know for sure it’s taxable income and I pay taxes on it, but whether it’s compensation is another story because I don’t get a W-2)

16. heavylee-again says:

Proper grammar and punctuation is a pet peeve of mine, too. But I’m a little disappointed that there is only 2 on-topic comments here so far.

17. heavylee-again says:

Pardon me, Improper grammar and punctuation…

18. RottNDude says:

@heavylee-again: “there are only two…”

19. Rectilinear Propagation says:

If you’re worried that this is just a lead generation ploy…

A what?

@VidaLondres: People don’t point out the mistakes to be high and mighty. All RottNDude did was write that part of the sentence with “well” instead of “good”. That doesn’t really imply that RottNDude thinks s/he is oh-so-much smarter than the Consumerist editors.

20. Rectilinear Propagation says:
  21. Mr. Gunn says:

rhombopteryx: OMG! Call the Copyright police! Posting this picture is making people confuse this site with FOX TV and costing the media juggernaut tons of money!

22. vesuvian says:

Writers here or on any blog of necessity write quickly and with an eye to content more than to perfect format. The days when we had 24 hours to let a piece “rest” or “mellow” (pick your own term) when your own eyes could see it anew are over. Sadly (almost started that sentence with the word “And”), there are no buddies here who can check your work for you. I’m nit-picky about my own work and forgiving of the efforts of others. I recommend the same to other lifehacker.com readers.

A side note – I just visited the “ratemyprofessors.com” (fact check – “ratemy…” or “rateyour…” to look up an art instructor. The students who gave her the highest ratings had the best command of written English. Go figure.

I’m waiting for notification on my callback time so I can give a real report instead of observations on blog sniping.

23. Charles Duffy says:

@Mr. Gunn: If it were a matter of creating consumer confusion, it would be a trademark issue. It’s not — it’s copyright; there’s no need for confusion for it to be illegal.

24. lemkepf says:

I used this service just the other day. I had a question about deducting PMI on my taxes. They called during the scheduled timeframe and answered the question very thoroughly. Best part it was free! :)

OH yea, and no call backs or trying to push turbotax.

25. vesuvian says:

I believe the following question was too much for the enrolled agents at TurboTax. BTW, I think the market dropped another 100+ points today, making my retirement portfolio at one firm worth 11 percent less than on January 1.

“From: (vesuvian)
    Sent: Jan 23, 2008 3:04:13 PM
    Subject: Live Tax Advice Incident

I would like to openly transfer at least one of my tax-deferred 401(k), 403(b), or 457 accounts to an overseas account with the same restrictions as the institutions here in the United States. This transaction has to be open and transparent and reportable to the IRS, as I intend to continue to move funds into the offshore tax-deferred account from my current employer’s account through partial distributions.

Have you ever heard of something like this? Is it possible to find overseas financial institutions which will report appropriately to the IRS that I haven’t simply run off with my funds and spent them before the normal 59.5 y/o distribution date?

Additional Fields:
    Customer Requested call-back time: 9am – 11am PST
    Live Tax Advice Service Agreement: yes

On Jan 25, 2008 10:33 AM, TurboTax Support wrote:

Dear (vesuvian),

I apologize we are unable to answer questions of this nature. Live Tax advice does not support the following topics:

? State or city specific questions
    ? Business incorporation issues
    ? Like-kind exchanges
    ? Estates and trusts; exempt organizations <===============================
    ? Non-Resident or Expatriate Returns
    ? Callbacks to international locations
    ? Issues unrelated to the preparation of the tax return
    ? Tax issues unrelated to income taxes (example, sales, use, inheritance taxes)

If you still need assistance on this issue please contact the IRS at 800-829-1040, your state taxing authority, or a local tax advisor.

For additional information on the Live Tax Advice service, please review our website at [www.livetaxadvice.com.] You have not been billed for this issue.

Sincerely,

TurboTax Live Tax Advice

26. Mr. Gunn says:

Charles Duffy: Copyright, trademark, WTFever.

It’s a fucking picture on a blog.

27. SuperJdynamite says:

@vesuvian: “Writers here or on any blog of necessity write quickly and with an eye to content more than to perfect format.”

Your “new media is fast” argument is negated by the fact that spelling and grammar checking have gotten just as fast.

28. Charles Duffy says:

@Mr. Gunn: …and could get the folks who host said blog in trouble, in the (admittedly unlikely) event that the copyright owner or one of their representatives decides to take action.

And anyhow — respecting other folks’ rights is… well, ‘ya know, respectful. I think software patents are bullshit and copyright terms are far longer than they should be, but that’s no reason to gratuitously violate either for no good reason.

29. After resubmitting my question three times due to callbacks outside of the scheduled time frame, I got my question answered today.

I asked about independent contracting and self-employment tax, which TurboTax automatically included for me last year (but not in 2006, when I made about the same in freelance income). The rep answered my question about why that happened and also explained to me at which point I need to start filing quarterly tax estimates if I keep up the extra income.

The only complaint I have would be the confusing time fram situation. The first time I submitted the question, I got a call back half hour after the time slot I checked, and couldn’t take it. I got three more calls that day (after resubmitting my question in the afternoon), each time checking the early morning option assuming they’d call me back the same day. The last call on Friday was at 10:45 p.m.! When I resubmitted today, I checked the latest time slot, and the call came about an hour and a half early, but I managed to take it.

Overall, useful, but give them a cell phone number and hope they call when you can pick up.