Sears Sued For Showing Everything Your Friends And Neighbors Have Ever Bought

Reuters reports a class-action lawsuit has been filed against Sears for its managemyhome.com site which allowed you to type in anyone’s name and address or phone number and get a record of everything they ever bought at Sears. The suit alleges that in doing so, Sears engaged in “unfair or deceptive” practices. Not too long after our post went up on Friday reporting on the matter, the purchase history feature was turned off. Sears said it had “turned off the ability to view a customer’s purchase history on Manage My Home until we can implement a validation process that will restrict access by unauthorized third parties.” Yes, a validation process, that would be good to have.

Sears accused of violating consumer fraud law [Reuters] (Thanks to Smitherd)
(Photo: Meghannmarco)

Comments

1. FMF says:

Ha! Couldn’t happen to a “nicer” company!!!!!

2. freshyill says:

I didn’t feel like signing up to test this out the other day, but I’m wondering… how do they know who bought what? I don’t get to Sears all that often, but I don’t remember them asking where I’d be using the toolbox I bought two years ago.

3. newtonite says:

So when Sears notify you that someone looked at your information?

4. crappedcrusader says:

So that is why I said my name was John Doe when I bought my Vacuum from them. Lets just hope I never have to get the $275 piece repaired.

5. evslin says:

@newtonite: Never, but rest assured they are taking this issue very seriously!

6. girly says:

@freshyill: It seems to be pretty much items that were purchased with a warranty or that received warranty work.

Washers, refrigerators, stoves, mowers, tv’s, etc…

One of my family members had a dozen items, my house only had two, my parent’s home had a handful…

7. starrion says:

My parents had a ton of items. My wife and I had a couple of items.

Perhaps the law firm involved in the suit could be posted. A vigorous legal swatting might remind Sears to pay more attention to customer data.

chumming waters…

8. Nighthawke says:

About time the pot dropped on their heads, they’ve been playing this out for this long. Busted for using proxy software in an unapproved manner, busted for poor or improper disclosure of where the data is going what would be used, busted for poor security on the site.

Three strikes kiddo, yer outta the demographics business!

9. QuantumRiff says:

Damn, I was going to look up which “neighbors” had nice LCD TV’s, So I’d know to look out for them going on vacation!

10. forgottenpassword says:

@QuantumRiff:

LOL!

Its much easier to just drive thru a neghborhood after dark. I work nights & leave for work at about 9pm & often see those wide-screen tvs through the windows of many homes. People are so stupid when it comes to protecting themselves.

11. Buran says:

@forgottenpassword: I’d rather not have to live in a windowless box, thanks.

12. forgottenpassword says:

@Buran:

curtains or blinds do wonders.

Showcasing your stealables in a window to where they can be seen from the street is not the smartest thing to do.

13. Yep says:

Boy is my face red. But really, that Kenmore Suckmaster 3000 wasn’t for me. It was a housewarming gift…really.

14. Skiffer says:

I’ve got a good validation process for them:

If I want someone to know what I bought from Sears, I’ll tell them myself…

15. BugMeNot2 says:

I guess the consumerist doesn’t bother to read its tips email since I forwarded a link about this last week when story broke. I guess I just won’t bother next time.

Anyway, here is the ORIGINAL article:

[community.ca.com]

16. Shadowman615 says:

@BugMeNot2: Huh? That link is about the sears spyware story, not this one. And secondly, the Consumerist reported both stories last week. So what the hell are you talking about?