General Motors Recalls 313,000 Vehicles To Plug Fluid Leak

General Motors has recalled 313,000 vehicles over concerns that a fluid leak could send motorists sliding brake-lights first into hedges. The recall, however, won’t begin until February 2008.

The recall involves 275,936 vehicles in the United States, including the 2005-2007 Cadillac CTS and STS sedans, 2005-2007 Cadillac SRX crossovers, and 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice and the 2007 Saturn Sky convertibles. About 38,000 additional vehicles are under recall in Mexico, Canada, the Middle East and Asia, GM said.

GM said the seal on the rear axle pinion, which provides power to the wheels, does not meet all specifications and could leak fluid. GM spokeswoman Carolyn Markey said the leak could lead to the drivewheel jamming up and locking while the vehicle is being driven, possibly causing the driver to lose control.

There has been one crash reported in which the rear wheels locked because of the leak and hit another car. In a separate incident, a driver reported an injury after moving around in the car as the vehicle lost control.

If you don’t want your car to careen out of control, call:

• Cadillac: (800) 982-2339
  • Pontiac: (800) 620-7668
  • Saturn: (800) 972-8876

General Motors recalling 313,000 vehicles to fix fluid leak [AP]
GM recalling over 300,000 vehicles [AutoBlog]
(Photo: dave_7)

Comments

1. Optimistic Prime says:

Nothing like two months of winter driving until the recall goes into effect. Just brilliant.

2. HalOfBorg says:

Maybe the correct parts aren’t available yet?

3. ShadowFalls says:

@HalOfBorg:

I’d guess that is a reasonable explanation. They just want to warn people of a potential problem till they could get it resolved.

If it just was them not having the needed parts available yet… Why not just let everyone know that?

4. Greek says:

There actually is a good reason for the delay in getting the recall started: They need to build up a large enough supply of replacement seals. In the meantime, as an auto mechanic, I can give you the following advice: have your rear differential fluid level checked. It’s not difficult, but it does require your car to be raised, and on some vehicles, requires tools the average driver may not own.(I’ve never worked on one of these cars, so I’m not sure what is needed to remove the inspection/ fill plug on one- I mostly work on VWs and Volvos) At the same time, have the person check for leaks at the seal. It should be easy to spot- gear oil is very tenacious and doesn’t wash away easily. If there’s a leak or if the fluid level is low, have some fluid added. A seal leak isn’t going to drain your axle instantly, it’s usually more of a slow seepage over along period of time. Try going to a GM dealer for this service- tell them you know about the pending recall, and need to make sure your car is okay until the parts to repair it are available. They might do the check for free- it really only takes a minute or two- the most time- consuming part of the work is raising and lowering the car on their rack!

(Note to moderators: I realize this comment was posted on the actual article. I did that by mistake. This is my first comment here on Consumerist, and I messed up! I’m not plagiarizing someone else- the comment was meant for Consumerist!)

5. sled_dog says:

So even though the parts are not yet avialiable, and your car cannot be fixed, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED about the problem. So if you continue to drive it and have a wreck YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. And if you go to court to sue their defense is YOU WERE WARNED.

Guess you now just can’t drive your car until the fix is available. That’s not any hardship, is it? Before you think twice about it, remember, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

6. inspiron says:

Meh, two problems out of 313,000 cars does not seem bad.

I’m more afraid of the throttle by wire and all of the electronic nannies those new GM cars have.

7. Buran says:

@inspiron: Well then, I hope whatever you’re driving now lasts forever, or you’re willing to suck it up and live with those nannies when your car dies, because it’s not just GM.

8. inspiron says:

Its 22 years old, has a 191,500 miles and is getting an engine and trans rebuild onces it can’t pass 1987 emmision standards , Most new cars in my opinion suck and are proof we are going backwards with all of the expensive government mandated crap that is being forced into cars.

Enjoy your extra green 44mpg eco friendly, firm, uncomfortable,fake hard plastic,best buy on wheels, airbag in every corner, micro mini car that will almost drive its self and if your lucky could fit five people assuming they don’t have legs.

9. Zombietime says:

Enjoy your 22 year old money pit.

10. theirishscion says:

@inspiron: Oh I do. I really do so enjoy my 36mpg, gokart handling, airbag encrusted, bluetooth and ipod overloaded Mini Cooper. To the extent that I have difficulty finding the words to do it justice. But, y’know, to each his own and all that. I’ve had plenty of beaters in my life too. I just prefer modern engineering for most things. That and I’ve see first hand what happens when you don’t have airbags and crumple zones a number of times. Aiiee.

11. coffee177 says:

I also would like to sing out that I love my 2002 Buick Century. 197K miles, Runs great and looks good.

BTW — I wouldnt knock GM so much. They could have sat around denying the problem even exists. But rather they announce it early (Probably for legal reasons though) so that you are aware of the problem.

If your looking for a quality car then all manufactuers have them. It just depends on what price range you are interested and size of car. Most of the problem arises from manufactuers trying to meet a price point on some car and getting in trouble with low quality parts that fail. So, Go out and spend a bit more on a car and you get better quality.

Bought my buick for 18k off the lot and dont have to worry about monthly car payments or massive repairs. My girlfriend on the other hand bought a malibu and its been in the shop quite a bit for brake problems and other stuff. Plus its alot cheaper feeling/looking.

Cannot comment on the “Coopers”. But they look cute enough. Just dont know how they hold up over time.

jd

12. NoWin says:

Coopers have a decent track record, except for the introductory year 02-03 models where “more than a fair share” of tech-repair bulletins were issued. (For you MINI purests out there, I’m talking the new BMW ones, not the original Austin Coopers of the (60s-70’s) ;-)

6 airbags, well designed frame and compartment, very high resale.

13. n0ia says:

As an employee of a car dealership that sells one of these cars, I would say the delay in when the recall is effective is probably due to a number of things.

Lack of parts would probably be one of them, coordinating with all the dealerships that sells these vehicles is another.

I for one am not looking forward to all the uninformed customers that don’t even drive one of the vehicles involved in the recall coming in saying their car is acting funny and they heard there was a recall on it.

Trust me, it happens.

Oh, and if you drive one of the vehicles listed in the recall, do yourself and the manufacturer a favor, call your dealership up and have your address updated. They send out recall notices, but if your address isn’t correct then you probably won’t get one.

14. JayXJ says:

@inspiron: Props to you for keeping an older car on the road. You do realize that many of us are purchasing newer cars, not for some ‘green’ image but for safety. I enjoy driving older cars but I want my kids to have the airbags, crumple zones, etc…

15. Rusted says:

Hmmm, the article sez that a driver was moving around in the vehicle as it lost control. Was the driver driving at the time? Was the driver wearing a seatbelt?

@theirishscion: Mini Cooper is just too small for me. Neat otherwise but my legs are long. I had an 87 T-Bird Sport. It got past 200K but it had the unscheduled monthly payment, and that was with me doing my own work.

I like my 2003 Red & Silver Baja. Ugly, homely, and slow, and yet all it’s ever needed were oil changes and a second set of brakes in 62K miles. That and I can carry major appliance and get over 20 MPG.

16. Mary says:

@Greek: Thank you for the advice. We’ve got a Solstice and actually just did all the things you described because we weren’t sure when we’d be able to get to the dealer. We’d heard about the recall but this is the first official source I’d seen and we didn’t realize it wasn’t for another few months.

For the record, our car is fine. And knowing that something is a possible problem is actually really helpful, so I’m glad GM put out the warning.

17. swalve says:

@theirishscion: Who wants to drive a go-kart?

@sled_dog: Yes, how dare GM warn people their car might be leaking.

18. dkush21 says:

Hey, my daughter has a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire which has had problems with knocking noise on the front end. Brought it to a mechanic and it had to do somethink with the timing chain. Not sure if this fixed the problem because 6 months later she is having the same problem with the noise again. I saw numerous complaints and tsb’s but they have yet to issue a recall on this problem.