If you have babies visiting you this holiday season, don’t let them sleep on air mattresses, says the CPSC. They’ve received several reports of suffocation deaths because the mattresses can be too soft for infants. The same goes for waterbeds, although if you have a waterbed then you’re probably living in 1982 and this blog hasn’t been invented yet. [CPSC]

Comments

1. WolfDemon says:

I must be living in 1982 then :P

2. Buran says:

@WolfDemon: And my bf’s guest room has a water bed in it. I like it. It’s definitely good if you want something different from time to time. And my ex had a water bed as his main bed, too.

Maybe I just have old-fashioned friends?

3. mysticone says:

We just got rid of our water bed after our cat decided to sabotage it. Though, in the end, it’s probably best that it’s gone. Those water bed heaters actually use a ton of electricity. But oh so toasty in the winter!

4. timmus says:

1982? Having grown up in the 1970s I would peg a waterbed at 1977, give or take 3 years.

5. mysticone says:

Well, according to Wikipedia, the modern waterbed was designed in 1968. But, they’ve been around since the late 1800s, just not in their current form. That was a nice little history lesson.

6. Meg Marco says:

Hilarious.

7. John says:

I was born in 1982…

…And I have a waterbed!

8. TechnoDestructo says:

I sleep on a waterbed because I live in a Heinleinian libertopia.

9. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

I sleep on a waterbed, and wish I was living in 1982 (those were golden years :)

10. Musician78 says:

I honestly didn’t know that they still made those.

11. floydianslip6 says:

I <3 my water bed and all my “ancient” shit!

12. bohemian says:

We have a waterbed. They still make them and you can get replacement parts. There is one local guy running a parts business for them in town but you can find most of what you need online.

13. ideagirl says:

@TechnoDestructo: excellent : )

14. Zelle999 says:

When I brought my daughter home from the hospital, our apartment’s AC didn’t work (It was in the 90s that week) and we stayed with my mother. The only thing she had other than her own bed was an inflatable mattress. We slept on that thing every night for like three weeks. It was HORRIBLE. It had all these cushion-y pockets and my kid was so little her body was all twisted, even with layers of blankets underneath us. It was hellish. At least she didn’t suffocate.

15. Leah says:

Man, I was born in ’82. I’ve had my waterbed since ’95. Getting to sleep in my waterbed is the major highlight of going back to my parents’ for Christmas. I keep a lot of water in mine, so it’s nice and firm, and you can’t beat the toasty warmth of a heated bed.

then again, I also like air mattresses. I move around a lot, so an air mattress is the only bed I own.

16. ZekeDMS says:

I was only born in 82, but I’ve had my waterbed since ’93. It’s just so damn much more comfortable than a spring mattress, especially as it’s so easy to get just the right amount of firmness to it.

17. Trai_Dep says:

@mysticone: (picturing geysers of water erupting from cat-scarred waterbed mattress while Fluffy gawks in abject panic).

That must have been one SURPRISED cat.