Sales of bagged salads are up, even though the FDA food safety czar says they are not safe to eat because of e. coli contamination. The most recent bagged salad recall was September of this year. People love bagged salad![Bizjournal]

Comments

1. HRHKingFriday says:

I just hate cutting lettuce. Oh, and buying it and then finding out the middle is rotten.

But I guess I would hate e coli more, right?

2. nuch says:

I love bagged salad! I always weigh the convenience vs the risk when I’m getting it in the supermarket, and convenience always wins. They’re so easy and some of them are extremely tasty as well. I haven’t gotten sick yet, so knock on wood.

3. fordpickup says:

I’m all about just buying a head of lettuce then washing it and spinning it in a salad spinner. I don’t exactly see how that’s safer than buying bagged lettuce though.

4. DrGirlfriend says:

I had heard of the e.coli outbreak in September, but I had not heard that bagged salad is always unsafe. I generally buy whole lettuce fo rhome use but I keep stuff for lunches at work, and that’s where the bagged stuff comes in handy for me.

Oh well. Apparently the whole food world is out to get me in one way or another, so what’s one more thing?

5. new and troubling questions says:

this makes me feel a tiny bit better about the fact that i hardly ever eat salad…though then again, e. coli manages to get into peanut butter too

6. karlrove says:

a little bit of poo is good for your diet.

7. ancientsociety says:

Bagged lettuce, cut in some dirty factory and shipped halfway across the country – what’s the appeal? Saving the .30 min to cut a head of lettuce?

The only “bagged lettuce” I buy is direct from the local farmer, whole-head and taken from the ground less than 24 hrs ago

8. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

What do you expect when you teach whole generations to depend on the government to think for them? I was talking about this to a co-worker, and she announced, “If it was really dangerous, they would have made it illegal to sell it.”

Phooey on it and the horse it rode in on. I just joined a local farm co-op, and greens are in season.

9. hoosier45678 says:

@ancientsociety:
    If you’re going for 100% iceberg, there’s no point, but I think most bagged iceberg salads have bits of carrots and red cabbage… things with actual flavor.
    if my local grocer here in the midwest had a big vat of mesclun I’d dig into that, but otherwise it’s gotta be bags.

10. burgundyyears says:

@ancientsociety: Does the head of lettuce you get from the farmer come pre-mixed with four different varieties of lettuce? Didn’t think so.

11. ancientsociety says:

@burgundyyears: I think it takes about 1 min to mix a few different lettuces together, not to mention that I can mix them in when I mix all the other veggies in.

Again, what was the point of bagged salads? Oh, right – “convenience”. How much extra did that cost? I suppose your side of e.coli is like an extra perk though.

12. HRHKingFriday says:

@fordpickup: Salad Spinners take up a lot of freaking space in my high efficiency dishwasher. sigh.

13. KJones says:

Try buying this brand! If the frog doesn’t die, then there’s no e. coli!

[neatorama.cachefly.net]

Kidding aside, how hard is it to chop or grate a few vegetables yourself? No, it does not take a great amount of time.

If you don’t like chopping tomatoes, buy cherry tomatoes; chopping a head of romaine takes seconds; peeling and cutting cucumber, carrots or others just a few minutes. It takes longer to boil a can of soup than to make a basic salad.

14. hoosier45678 says:

I’m sure that there’s a correlation. Perhaps bagged & branded salads only come from mega mechananized farms that drop manure from helicopters or something. But there doesn’t seem to be any inherent reason that the bagged salads are higher risk.

15. UpsetPanda says:

I don’t think there’s actually any nutritional content in iceberg lettuce…but romaine, that’s good stuff. I prefer a regular head of romaine lettuce…it takes no time at all to cut, wash, spin the whole thing. And I don’t like half the things in the bagged salad anyway. I like carrots, but I don’t like the way the companies cut them into little slivers that get between your teeth. And I hate onions in salads.