New York Times To Discontinue Times Select

Yay! Free New York Times! The NYT will discontinue its pay wall tomorrow, freeing the opinions of various smart people to roam the internet unchecked by that pesky $7.95 per month subscription fee. Oh, happy day.

“We now believe by opening up all our content and unleashing what will be millions and millions of new documents, combined with phenomenal growth, that that will create a revenue stream that will more than exceed the subscription revenue,” the web site’s Vice President and General Manager Vivian Schiller said.

All visitors to NYTimes.com will have free access to articles dating back to 1987, as well as to the paper’s archives from 1851 to 1922. The Times said it will continue to charge a fee for access to its archive from 1923 to 1986. Thankfully, we already know everything that happened during that period of time. Ahem.

Those of who you’ve already paid for the Times will get prorated refunds, or, naturally, you will tell us about it.

‘All The News That’s Fit To Print’ For Free [Forbes]
New York Times to end paid Internet service [Reuters]

Comments

1. mantari says:

So, it is now free with a pesky login, or just simply free?

2. Trai_Dep says:

Yay! Krugman breaking thru the wall is especially welcome. For those w/o school acc’ts, that is. Nice move on their part.

I wonder how much they lost to online ads vs the gains from subscriptions they had?

3. Schminteresting says:

THANK YOU, NYT! I am *sooo* tired of news-for-pay. I stopped visiting the NYT site a long time ago for this very reason.

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

So the archives for 1922 are free?

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Argh, nevermind, I miss read. Does anyone here ever really click on ads? I can’t remember the last time I clicked on a banner on any site.

6. OnceWasCool says:

So now I can get my extremely left leaning news any time I want, for free?

7. spinachdip says:

@AlteredBeast: Ad rates are based on impressions, not clicks.

8. spinachdip says:

@oncewascool: @oncewascool: Oh, this fun myth again.

I don’t like getting all political, but I can’t let stupid canards like this go.

While the editorials at NYT are generally left leaning (though no sane person would characterize them as “extremely left”), the op-eds represent the whole political spectrum. In fact, NYT has hardly been helpful to the left. Maureen Dowd went a long way in reinforcing Gore’s image as stuffy and awkward, while she fabricated John Kerry’s “Who among us doesn’t like NASCAR” quote. Lest we forget, Judith Miller’s championing of Ahmed Chalabi helped manufacture a case for the Iraq war. The kids at Media Matters will be happy to dig up articles upon articles where the bias was towards the right or the Republicans.

So seriously, can we drop the “NYT is a lefist rag”? Because it has no factual basis. It may not be Fox News enough for some people, but it certainly isn’t the Communist Party Newsletter.

9. theblackdog says:

@mantari: I bet the former. Let the bugmenot.com logins roll in!

10. GeekChicCanuck says:

Those of you who are interested in the events that were reported in the NYT from 1923 to 1986 should check with your local public library. Most libraries have access to the full NYT archives through full-text databases paid for by your tax dollars and you can often access these databases from home or work with your library card number.