Hey, Let's Not Die Of Botulism From Eating Recalled Food

A reader who works at a health department has asked Consumerist to remind everyone to search their cabinets, their friend’s cabinets, the cabinets at their church and the cabinets of any kitchens at work for products included in the botulism recall.

Here’s a list of the recalled products.

When you find a can—Don’t just throw it away. Double bag it. Bacteria in the cans cause them to swell and break open and you can breathe the toxin and get sick.

Here are the symptoms of botulism.

Thanks for not dying of botulism! Dead people can’t read blogs, ya know.

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Now I want a chili dog for dinner.

2. Well, if they’d stop calling it the Chili Products recall it might help. Corned beef hash and beef stew are not chili. Neither is pet food.

I don’t eat chili but I do eat corned beef hash. Not recently but the brand I’d buy isn’t on the list, thank goodness.

3. Gena says:

Some days, I HEART The Consumerist for the laughs it provides during my otherwise mundane day; and today is one of those days. Note “Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Eatables for Dogs in Chinese Take Out w/Sauce Flavor” is on the recall list. I never would have learned that gem if it wasn’t for the friendly reminder to check the list of recalled products and promptly remove them from my shelves, and the shelves of my friends and family. Now I just can’t wait to see which one of my friends or family actually purchased this product and use it to humiliate them for all eternity!

4. B says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: From what we’ve learned about this recall, I think canned chili and canned dog food are quite similar.

5. niteflytes says:

I’m the “reader who works at a health department” and I agree they need to stop calling it a Chili Products recall. Once the mainstream media picks up on a catch phrase they hold onto it like a dog with a steak bone. Thanks Consumerist for posting the reminder.

6. FINANCE101 says:

What? People actually buy Chinese Take Out with Sauce with Vegetables and Chicken Dog Food?

7. Havok154 says:

@AlteredBeast:
    I hear Kroger Chili Dogs are really good.

8. arachnophilia says:

we had two cans of the larger castleberry’s beef stew in our cupboard — i eat it pretty regularly, actually. now, it’s not the 15 oz size, so it’s not technically recalled. but we took it back to the store.

the person behind the customer service counter didn’t know anything about the recall — but the store must have. that section of the shelves was empty.