Man blogs effort to get Kia car that randomly turns off while driving it returned under Oregon lemon law.

Comments

1. Have you guys read this series of posts? You have? Well, then, I hope you’re as disgusted with Kia as I am. I know how Riley feels – I used to have a Saab that would suddenly shut off if the RPMs got too low – but my problem was fixed, quickly and efficiently, by people who know what the hell they’re doing.

There is no better example of why you must escalate, escalate, escalate than this nonsense. I hope the Oregon A.G. gets on Kia’s ass about this…and that Riley gets to buy a new car, get his car payments refunded, and maybe gets a free ice cream treat.

2. AnthonyP says:

If Kia does happen to step up to the plate, I would hope they won’t force him to purchase another Kia. After going through something like that I would stay as far away as I could!

3. alpha says:

needs a little Consumerist action to find executive emails and carpet bomb away!

4. Pete Gaines says:

Step 1: Don’t buy a Kia.

5. JayXJ says:

I feel this guy’s pain. I went through this a few years ago with a brand new Nissan truck. Same stuff, stonewalling, “Uh, it won’t do it now.”, late to work, on a first name basis with the area Enterprise reps, etc… I was initiating lemon law proceedings when the truck was ran over by, of all things, a garbage truck (That was SOOOO appropriate). I was thrilled to death to be done with it.

6. acambras says:

@PeteJäyhawk™:

I thought Step 1 was “cut a hole in the box.”

7. pestie says:

@acambras: Hahahaha! And I thought it was “steal underpants.” If only someone would figure out step 2…

8. acambras says:

@pestie:

Step 2: ??????
    Step 3: Profit!

;-)

9. kelmeister says:

I had this exact same problem with a used 2001 Elantra. I thought I was going to die of a heart attack when I lost the gas petal on the freeway at 50 miles per hour, just as I was getting into traffic. Of course they couldn’t replicate it at the mechanic’s.

Turned out it was a bad oxygen sensor and a problem with the catalytic converter, but it took mechanics at three different shops (including the dealer) to diagnose the problem. Poking around on the internet turned up evidence that this is a fairly common complaint with Hyundais.

The repair didn’t come cheap, either: $1500. The dealer “discovered” another $2000 worth of work that needed to be done on the Elantra while they had it in their shop. My husband drove the piece of crap next door to the Honda dealer and got a new car.

10. aeix says:

Thanks to the team at The Consumerist for posting a link to my blog. I appreciate everyone’s words of support and encouragement. Yes, I now know that Kias are bad cars, and I don’t ever intend to buy one again.

I’ve never had to deal with a lemon or trying to get the manufacturer to buy back the car, so if anyone has any clues, stories, or tactics to demysitfying the process, please let me know!

Thanks again!

11. Marce says:

Thank goodness he’s been taking you guys’ advice. I saw a bunch of mistakes that have been pointed out in Consumerist before.

Stick it to ‘em, Riley! I’m never buying a Kia!