Continental and JetBlue Win Overall Satisfaction Awards From J.D. Power

Continental and JetBlue were the big winners in the annual J.D. Power North America Airline Satisfaction Study. The study asked 10,000 respondents to judge airlines on seven factors: cost and fees; flight crew; in-flight services; aircraft; boarding/deplaning/baggage; check-in and reservations.

Continental won the overall satisfaction award for a traditional carrier with 704 points out of a possible 1,000, despite hosting a sewage geyser on a recent flight. JetBlue won the overall satisfaction award for a low cost carrier with 810 points, despite massively fumbling its response to snow.

Blemished records aside, this is Continental’s second consecutive year winning the award, and JetBlue’s third. Congratulations, airlines – just don’t celebrate by buzzing the tower. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

Traditional Network Ratings [J.D. Power]
Low-Cost Ratings [J.D. Power]
(Photo: stephenhanafin)

Comments

1. homerjay says:

I love that picture. Reminds me of the old days…

2. Bay State Darren says:

I’m drinking coffee right now. Your illustration nearly murdered my computer. You need to think more carefully about the consequences before posting things like that!

3. visualbowler says:

love the top gun reference

4. Buran says:

I want some BUTTS!

… but incidentally doesn’t Virgin Atlantic have pretty good satisfaction records, too? …

5. chutch says:

I wonder if this means JD Power didn’t see the Incontinental Airlines posts? Even though I have never flown, you can’t convince me the survey included anyone who flew on that flight!

6. bilge says:

Since when has a JD Power award actually meant something?

[www.radaronline.com]

7. US Airways and Southwest are both at the bottom of their respective list… Why does this not surprise me?

8. Lewis says:

@Buran: I think this survey was of NAM carriers, which would exclude Virgin.

9. letoofdune says:

I’m surprised Southwest is lowest – I’ve always been at least vaguely satisfied by their service. Nothing to fancy, but whatever.

No surprises about Continental, though. They may piss me off to no end occasionally (the only way to fly out from where I am in Texas is to fly Continental through Houston), but I’ve never had a true horror story with them.

10. TechnoDestructo says:

@letoofdune:

Anytime any company is the only choice, they’re the one you’d rather not choose.

11. Peeved Guy says:

I guess its a good thing for Continental that one of the categories wasn’t toilets not overflowing and crap running down the aisles.

12. Peeved Guy says:

Argg.

13. Rusted says:

Jet Blue I’ll believe, but Continental? I worked for an ISP that won the J.D. Power Award twice. It’s an interesting racket. Company wins the award but has to pay ol J. D. to use it in their advertising. The ISP was/is part of a cable company that’s been well reported on this site in a less then flattering way.

Wonder if J. D. Powers just goes down the line til they find a “winner” who’s willing to pay?

14. banned says:

80/100 on a test is hardly worth gloating about. If this is the curve on which they grade, I think we are all in trouble.

15. hypnotik_jello says:

ahaha. I’m sitting at IAD waiting for JetBlue flight which is delayed for at least 4 hours.

yeah! jet blue is so awesome!

16. Sudonum says:

@Rusted: What I love is the fact that JD Powers offers “Executive Seminars” to the losers to train them how to win. Went through one when I worked for Hilton. Excuse me but shouldn’t taking good care of your customer be enough to “win”?

17. LionelEHutz says:

Eh. I’d still fly Southwest over those losers any day.

18. bnet41 says:

@hypnotik_jello:
    Is it really jetBlue’s fault? The delays these are coming from air traffic control, not the airlines for the most part.

19. arkan says:

I’ve always had great service with Continental, so this doesn’t really surprise me. A few years ago, when the flight attendant asked me what I’d like to drink I asked for a Coke and she said they only had Pepsi, so I passed on a drink. When we stopped in Jacksonville to pick up more passengers, she went and got me a few Cokes to drink for the remainder of the trip. I was really impressed and since then, I’ve always flown Continental when given the chance.