United Ad: Some Of Our Best Businessmen, Are Women!

American Airlines getting “female marketing” totally buck wrong isn’t anything new. This United videos shows airlines have been wacky about women since at least 1968. At least. Here’s the transcript:

Some of our best businessmen, are women! Like fashion designer, Cartin Ally (sp?). Head of one of the most successful couture firms in the country. She travels coast to coast more times in one year than most people do in a lifetime.

But, being a woman, she looks at things, well, a little differently than other business travelers.

The things she remembers about an airline are things most MEN wouldn’t even notice.

We notice them. Maybe that’s why United flies more businessmen, and women, than any other airline.

song: FLY THE FRIENDLY SKIES OF UNITTTTEDDD!

And today? American Airlines wants women to know, “Safety, security and reliability are top priorities when you’re traveling for business, but health and style are important too.”

It’s not “retro,” that’s so early 2000. Just say, “atavistic!” — BEN POPKEN

[via Upgrade Travel Better]

Comments

1. Little Mintz Sunshine says:

Ahh, yes, THE Cartin Ally.

2. spanky says:

You can tell that, after the commercial was over, she totally made out with that stewardess.

3. karimagon says:

Ah, good job, United, do you expect me to give you a cookie?

I can say that this woman will not be flying with you anytime soon if you keep up the creepy advertising with “Ted,” your low-budget spinoff. Did you really expect anyone to like hearing “Ted says fasten your seatbelt” before every flight?

4. a says:

Wait, a company made a sexist commercial in the ’60s? Psh, I call shenanigans. Next you’ll be telling me people may have been racist in the 1800s.

5. homerjay says:

Did we do this one already, or am I having a serious bout with deja vu?

6. hmonkey says:

i think they mean marilyn lewis, creator of fashion line cardinali; she broke into an industry pretty much ruled by men. marlo thomas almost exclusively worecardinali clothing on “that girl.” also loving cardinali? nancy reagan.

7. Ideapimp says:

Ummm, that’s a UNITED commercial and you guys are claiming AA’s been getting it wrong since ’68?

I don’t doubt the claim, but your evidence is a little off, don’t cha think?

8. Ideapimp says:

oh, I see, I’m the idiot. Read closer there, dumbass. :) sorry.

9. Here’s a short piece on Cardinali from the L.A. Times. (No, I’m not a fashionista, just a Googler.)

Let’s be honest, though: the lilting, Bacharach-like harmonies that end that commercial are totally, totally cool. Amazingly totally. Like, United should bring that shizzle BACK, don’t you think?