VIDEO: Remove Cellphone Logos With Sugar

We’ve covered this before, but now here’s a video showing how you can use a sugar cube to remove company logos from your cellphone. Neat, mildly amusing.

One thing it doesn’t show is that it’s a good idea to cover up the rest of the phone in tape so you don’t get sugar in your keypad or elsewhere. Also, be gentle and patient. Press too hard and you could scratch the phone. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. mom22bless says:

seems kinda stupid to me. why not just use fine sandpaper?

2. BillyShears says:

So…why would one want to do this? There’s already ONE company’s logo on the phone, is one more really going to bother you so much that you take the time to remove it with sugar?

3. mcbarnicle says:

I put black cloth tape over the logo and any other flashing light that annoys me.

4. Jigen says:

Too bad my phone has LG engraved into the battery, and Cingular written under a completely pointless mirror thing.

5. spanky says:

@BillyShears:

As for me, I just don’t like logos on things. They’re ugly, they’re pretty much everywhere, and I just don’t like the idea of providing free advertising for some company after I’ve paid them for a product. If they want my celebrity endorsement, they can pay me, just like they would any other fabulous international superstar.

I haven’t tried the sugar method yet, but I have been meaning to, once I get up the nerve to possibly mess something up. (Right now, most of the logos on my things are covered with stickers, marker, or tape.)

6. Deusfaux says:

It’s called unbranding your phone, and the idea is to make it appear like it’s direct from the manufacturer. This also involves flashing the phone with manufacturer’s original themes, erasing any carrier-implemented changes (like SHOP buttons, or disabling other features in the firmware).

Similiar to the JDM car thing.

7. Maulleigh says:

Sugar. Is there anything it can’t do?

8. SexCpotatoes says:

@Maulleigh: Yeah, it can’t cure DIABETES.

9. homerjay says:

Hmmm…. I guess this falls under the catagory of “Different strokes for different folks”
    Me? Verizon can have the 1/2 sq inch of my phone. Its just not worth the effort and time to me.

10. Kryndis says:

Honestly, the logo on the outside of the phone doesn’t really bother me. now the damn logo displaying full-time on the screen, that takes up valuable real estate on an already tiny device and I’d love to get rid of it.

11. BillyShears says:

@Deusfaux:

Similiar to the JDM car thing.

If something that trivial impresses your friends and family, whatever. Truth be told, you can probably ask every Man on the Street who your carrier is after spending 20 minutes on the phone in front of them and they wouldn’t have a clue. I think you’re paying attention to something – honestly – no one else does.

12. itmustbeken says:

One additional tip, use super fine sugar (sometimes called ‘baking sugar’) and always use tape to mask out the area you are working on.
    The superfine sugar (that’s a stripper name!) is less likely to remove plastic finish.

I just did this to my brand-new and totally awesome dark grey Motorola Q from Sprint. Hideous Sprint logo gone, matte grey goodness exposed. Yum!

13. voodoodle says:

@BillyShears: impress my friends and family? worried about some guy on the street? i have “cingular” on the front of my phone and “samsung” small on the front and big on the back. i’m gonna do this and it won’t be to show off and i don’t give a damn if anybody else ever sees it. logos are black-eyes on cellphones and i want mine gone.