GameStop Matches Customer Contact Info To Purchases, Asks If They Can Buy Back Games

GameStop has no regard for their customers or their customer’s privacy. Ben from Opposable Thumbs was just sitting down to dinner when his phone rang. It was GameStop:

“We hope you’re enjoying your copy of Twiliight Princess, but if you’re finished with it, why don’t you bring it to the store and trade it in? We’re willing to give you $35 in trade for your copy of Twilight Princess….” I hung up at this point, and try not to curse. I really don’t like this sort of phone call, but I’m almost willing to tolerate it when they’re telling me a game I want to buy is coming in.

It seems that GameStop has cross-referenced their reservation database with the records of what their customers purchase. Then, when they’re running low on used copies of Twilight Princess or whatever, they can call and harass people to sell them back. Damn, GameStop. We know a lot of your customers are used to being treated like crap, but this is a new low. —MEGHANN MARCO

GameStop wants your trade-ins. Enough to call you and ask for something they’ve already sold you [Opposable Thumbs via Kotaku]

Comments

1. Namrepus says:

This happened to me a while ago with, I believe, God of War.

A week after I bought the game I got a phone call much like the one listed above. How did I handle it? I decided to mess with the guy.

I told him that the game was a gift for a friend’s birthday 2 days later. Told him that I mentioned I was buying it as a gift when I purchased the game (I didn’t, but he didn’t know that. I was making the point that if they are willing to use their records for market research like that, than if someone says “I’m buying this as a gift for a friend” that should be noted as well, though I didn’t really say any of that cause I enjoyed watching him flop arround like a goldfish out of it’s tank trying to find a viable excuse), and asked him what kind of insensitive jerk he was for insinuating that I should get rid of my friend’s birthday present for less than half of what I paid for it as a trade in.

2. Coder4Life says:

Great way to use the power of computers & databases…

But I am sure they shoudl not be calling you at home, that is rediculous. they must have an Opt-Out. Anyone know?

If they called me, I would of told him to take me off their calling list, or probably would of gone to the store and the guy would of never thought about making another phone call to a home again.

Or better yet, when you pick up the game, tell them your phone # is 911 or something crazy

3. dohtem says:

Unsolicited phone calls. Can we sue them like that guy that sues telemarketers? I am sure GameStop has deeper comments.

4. Coder4Life says:

We should go setup a FLASHMOB

5. jodamiller says:

Is it the contact that bothers people or just the fact that it’s a phone call? Would people be more open to this lack of “customer’s privacy” if they sent an email instead informing them of a good buy-back price?

Of course, the first step is not to give them your phone number in the first place. If they insist, just tell them you don’t have a phone.

6. RumorsDaily says:

If they handled this right, this might actually be a nice feature. When you buy the game, you can sign onto a mailing list (email, not phone call, nobody wants a phone call) to let you know when they’re running low and willing to pay a premium to get the game back.

You’ve enjoyed it for two weeks, but have decided that you’re through with it? Hey, check your email, maybe you can sell it back for a good price.

The problem here is implementation. Calling people and hassling them is never a good option.

7. Falconfire says:

Bull this is not a implementation problem, this is a stupid stupid idea.

If people want to sell back a game, they will, but the fact is most people dont want to. The only time I personally sell back a game, is if the game in question blows so much I would never replay it again.

8. Steve says:

Just another reason to never pre-order games. There’s no reason to anymore; all you’re doing is loaning GameStop money (which they can then earn interest on) until the game comes out and giving them your personal information. With very few exceptions, you’ll be able to walk into any store and buy any game the day it comes out, and certainly a week or two later. Or you can pre-order via Amazon if you’re desperate to have a game the moment it comes out.

9. alicetheowl says:

There is a benefit to preordering, but I’m not sure it outweighs this behavior. Many companies base their ordering numbers off preorders, and will order enough to cover preorders + a few in-store copies. It saves you having to go to the next store that’ll probably have it if it turns out they didn’t order enough.

10. Echodork says:

Anyone know of a way to contact Gamestop corporate via email? The Contact Us option on their website only pertains to experiences during a particular transaction, and requires a receipt.

11. evagation says:

GameStop did this to my husband (also for his copy of “Twilight Princess” for the Wii) and he spoke with the manager and made it implicitly clear that he was not selling any of our Wii games anytime soon, and that we would take our very good business elsewhere (we buy all our systems, games and accessories through the GameStop stores) if they continued to harrass us for our “used” games.

And, Steve: My husband pre-orders because he REFUSES to wait even an extra day for a beloved game (even if he doesn’t know that he loves it yet). I’ve tried to get him to go to Target/Wal-Mart/Toys-R-Us, etc. instead of GameStop but he refuses. He even got me into the pre-ordering game when I pre-ordered my DS copy of “Phoenix Wright.” (Who is NOT an Ace Attorney and really a very mediocre attorney.)

12. evagation says:

Has a list of various email subjects directed towards GameStop (I think “Suggestions” or “Other…” should work for your purposes).

Or, if you have access to a fax machine, you could fax ‘em something. Probably aren’t used to that.

13. orielbean says:

They probably have fax email, so when your Important Complaint comes in, the rule wizard can forward it to the Right Department aka Trash Bin.

14. sleepydumbdude says:

I received a few of these calls. I got one for Gears of War awhile back. The number I gave them was my cell number when I preordered so big mistake now i have them calling me directly most the time while I’m working. I don’t recognize the number and think it might be a business call and interrupt me. I gave them that number because I thought I’d only be called once the game came in and no more but guess not.
    I won’t bother asking them to take me off the list since I’ll just stop shopping there altogether. I’m tired of paying for their overpriced “new” games. I’ll just order online or grab the game on one of my 3 am trips to walmart.

15. Jarret Miller says:

I’m not sure what the problem is here. It’s not like Gamestop sold your personal information to another company to use. Even if your number is on the National Do Not Call Registry, companies that you have done business with have the right to call.