Walmart Hates Firefox And Safari

Progress has been made over at the Walmart video download site. Rather than just spewing nonsense when you try to enter the site with Firefox, it now detects your browser and tells you to download IE. The error message reads:

Unsupported Browser
We’re sorry …
Our website requires the browser Internet Explorer version 6 or higher. It appears that you are using Firefox, Safari, or another browser that Wal-Mart Video Downloads doesn’t currently support. Click here to get Internet Explorer for free from Microsoft.

Doesn’t bode well for the quality of the video downloads, does it? —MEGHANN MARCO

Walmart Video Downloads

Comments

1. mark duffy says:

IE sucks sweaty redneck BALLS.

2. stephen5 says:

I have been having trouble posting here at consumerist using Firefox and have had to resort to IE (IE 7 even.)

IE does indeed sucks sweaty redneck BALLS, also sweaty welfare mama BALLS, sweaty Vietnamese, sweaty Mexican and sweaty Bosnian immigrant BALLS too.(That’s who shops at my local Wal-Mart, I think the rednecks get sucked into the nearby Hooters and Chi-Chi Pizzas.)

3. batasrki says:

We must be back in 1999. Seriously, I’d expect this from some two-bit company who does not know what they’re doing IT-wise. But WalMart, a company that prides itself in its IT infrastructure and how it helps the stores run……maybe I should take a hammer to my monitor so that I don’t see such travesty.

4. amb1545 says:

Simple, don’t shop at walmart, online or not.

5. DieBrucke says:

Honestly, people using Firefox should know better than to be shopping at Walmart.

6. tz says:

So I can download IE6 for my Macintosh or linux system for free?

7. FLConsumer says:

That’s alright… I had to use a website to apply for graduate school earlier this year… IE6 or earlier only. IE7: Not supported. FireFox 2.0: Not supported. Firefox 1.x: Not supported. Mozilla: Not Supported. Netscape 4.5: Supported… and this isn’t a small-time website either.

8. r3m0t says:

They don’t hate Firefox. It just isn’t economically viable to support it. Their web developers are probably from the pre-Firefox age and don’t understand any of this newfangled “compatibility” stuff. Walmart can’t fire them because they’re unionised.

Oh, wait…

9. evilrobot says:

(attempting to get IE for mac)

from ms website…

“Accordingly, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac is no longer available for download from Microsoft. It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple’s Safari.”

10. mark duffy says:

I am a relocated App. Trail hillbilly, so I can say “Redneck”. Also, “balls.”

11. ElizabethD says:

Last I checked (which admittedly was at least a year ago, maybe longer), I couldn’t purchase music downloads from WalMart because of their Mac blockade. Guess some things never changes. ‘SOkay… between iTunes and swapping with friends, I’m good.

(Firefox user here. That was some hot mess on the WalMart link yesterday.)

12. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I wouldn’t say that Wal-Mart hates Firefox. The rest of the site works fine. This is more of a technology issue. Most music/video download stores require Internet Explorer because of the DRM that’s applied to the files. For Apple, you have to use the iTunes software to purchase music or TV shows or whatever. For Amazon, you have to install their Unbox player software.

So once again, we’re reminded why DRM sucks.

13. kaycee says:

I have Macs, and have been using Mozilla’s Camino instead of Safari for well over a year. I tried Firefox, but I like Camino better for the most part (athough Camino doesn’t remember open tabs if I restart, and my son tells me Firefox does).

Camino works way better than Safari, for sure. (At least it did when I moved from Safari to Camino about a year ago.) I don’t know if it’s compatible with Wal-Mart’s video downloads, though – probably not.

14. WV.Hillbilly says:

Works with the IE Tab extension for Firefox if you’re really that interested.

15. Verizon’s internal websites are designed to run with IE only. You can try mozilla/safari/opera and they may work, but don’t bet on it.

16. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

As a Firefox user, I guess I just won’t purchase any downloads from Wal-Mart.

Aww, darn.

How many of us could there be using other browsers? Only a few million.

17. Michael says:

Funny thing is the site initially displayed perfectly with Opera, but now that they have this stupid check Opera is flagged as an unsupported browser. By setting Opera to lie and say it’s IE, I can get in just fine. Not that I particularly want to download crappy videos from Walmart.

CVS.com has a similar block, too, and also works just fine by setting Opera to hide its true identity. If they don’t want to support my browser that’s fine, but it’d be sufficient to put up a warning, “This site has only been tested with IE and may not work properly with other software. We cannot guarantee the correct functioning of our site with your browser,” then let me enter and take my chances.

It never ceases to amaze me that these huge corporations won’t spend a few thousand dollars to have someone work on compatibility issues, and would instead prefer to lock out potential customers from whom they would have a reasonable chance of quickly recouping the investment and turning a profit.

18. IRSistherootofallevil says:

Oh well, then Walmart just lost a potential customer. I used iTunes anyway.