Avis Rental Cars Are Wi-Fi Hotspots

According to an Avis press release, soon you will be able to turn your rental car into a portable wi-fi hot spot. Yay, internet while driving. We suppose this is more awesome than driving around searching for an open network or a Panera Bread….

From an Avis Press Release:

Starting in the first quarter of 2007, Avis customers will be able to rent an Autonet Mobile Service unit, the first “always-on broadband mobile network,” which provides a portable mobile Wi-Fi hotspot that works virtually anywhere. The new technology will initially be available in 10 U.S. markets, for an additional fee of $10.95 per day.

The little gizmo works with all wi-fi enabled laptops, pdas, etc. The service will be available at select Avis locations in the following cities: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York (metro area), San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. Even more spiffy is the fact that the portable wi-fi spot can be removed from the car and taken anywhere the traveler goes. We don’t really rent cars that much, but we think this sounds pretty cool. It would be even cooler if it were free. And, by the way, doesn’t that AVIS guy look comfy internetting in his car? —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. timmus says:

That dude in the photo has got to be Agent Smith looking for Keanu.

2. weave says:

I don’t see a large market for this. Most business users and net geeks who can’t live without net access away from home or work already have mobile broadband service through their mobile phone provider.

3. oudemia says:

And of course there are those of us who vomit when trying to read in a moving car. A cursory glance at my Treo is about all that I can manage . . .

4. Metschick says:

Oh my god, I’m a net geek! When I bought my laptop I also got mobile broadband through Verizon (not my cell phone provider). I needed a cell line with them too, so I gave that phone to my mom. All that just so I’m assured net access everywhere. I have a problem.

5. alhypo says:

$10.95!! That’s obscene!

Doesn’t that increase the daily cost of a typical rental by 10 to 30 percent? I’ve never rented… I’m just guessing.

6. Metschick says:

Alhypo, the cheapest car rentals are about $30 a day. Sometimes you can get some deals for $20 bucks a day.

7. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I think T-Mobile offers wi-fi service for $20 a month, at various Starbucks locations throughout the US. And we all know that there’s a Starbucks store somewhere and everywhere these days. They also offer different types of pay-as-you go service as well.