Burger King Testing Trans-Fat Free Oils

From the Houston Chronicle:

Fast-food chain Burger King Holdings Inc. on Wednesday said it started testing in its restaurants several trans-fat free cooking oils and plans to roll one out nationwide in late 2008.

Burger King said it has been working for two years to identify a trans-fat free oil, beginning with consumer testing and moving to in-restaurant testing.

Burger King added it will meet New York City trans-fat free requirements, which go into effect in July, before it rolls out the oil nationally.

Trans-fats are, obviously, really really bad for you, and require a lot of testing to replace without changing the taste of food. Then again, Burger King’s fries are already weird tasting. Is it just us? —MEGHANN MARCO

Burger King Tests Fat-free Oils
[Houston Chronicle]

Comments

1. Kornkob says:

Nope– they are weird. I think that’s because they show up at the store partially pre-cooked.

2. WindowSeat says:

Burger King’s fries are weird because they have a layer of starch sprayed on them to enhance crispness…. McDonalds’ fries taste so good beacuse they are coated with beef tallow.

3. Yozzie says:

Mmmmm… beef tallow…

4. BillyShears says:

I still remember the day that BK offically switched to the new fries, it was the same day I stopped eating them because I simply can’t stomach the taste.

A good friend of mine in college put it best:
    “They started dipping them in schlacking(sp?) material.”

5. timmus says:

Burger King said it has been working for two years to identify a trans-fat free oil.

Uhh, hello, Burger King? Corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil all work just fine. I hope you all are just trying to pick the right one out, rather than developing some metallic hydrocarbon oil from hell.

6. VA_White says:

BK fries are not cut from potatoes. They are the Pringles of the french fry world. Add the weird starch shellac and you’ve got Nasty in a tiny paper sack.

7. kimdog says:

Yup, BK fries are totally ick. But the Whopper is so freaking good. And really, who needs fries if you are eating a Whopper.

8. TedSez says:

The trouble with corn oil, safflower oil and sunflower oil is that they don’t have the same “mouth feel.” Unfortunately, while saturated fat and trans-fats impart a rich, creamy texture to your foods, they do the same thing to your blood.

9. kerry says:

This confirms that I am the only person on earth who likes the battered BK fries. They’re an entirely different species of french fry than those at McDonal’s, so it’s not really fair to compare the two. It’s like saying English chips and Belgian frites are the same thing.

10. TheName says:

I hate that companies whose business is essentially to make people as fat as possible as cheaply as possible are able to get glowing, happy reviews by making their fats less bad for you.
    Trans fats or not, Burger King food is bad for you!

11. The Unicorn says:

I like Burger King fries! Or, at least, I did the last time I had them, which I think was about six years ago. But still.

12. formergr says:

Oh Belgian frites. kerry, now you have me craving some greasy fershly-made frites served in a paper cone with yummy mayo and a little plastic fork. Damn!

13. 44 in a Row says:

Not true, I think they’re fantastic. McDonald’s fries feel too soggy to me, not to mention over-salted. And the BK chicken sandwich is second-to-none.

14. TheName:

They’re in the business to sell food, not to regulate your dietary lifestyle.

15. Your mom is in the business of regulating your dietary lifestyle.

16. terrin81 says:

I, much like Billy, remember the day that Burger King changed their fries. I loved the BK fries up to that point, and after the “try our new fries for free” campaign when they switched, I never touched them…

Maybe it will make them better…

17. TheName says:

something_amazing:
    Much like Marlboro and Camel are in the business of selling cigarettes not regulating our breathing habits. Can’t wait for the “NEWER LIGHTER CIGARETTES!” ads and accompanying “they’re really doing something to clean up their act” stories. :-)

18. Negative says:

Ever since the change I always thought the BK fries tasted like chemicals.

I hates them!

19. Wendy’s has the best fries.