Tax Tip: Deduct Your Cell Phone

AllFinancialMatters has some info about deducting your cell phone:

Depreciation on Computers or Cell Phones

You can claim a depreciation deduction for a computer or cell phone that you use in your work as an employee if its use is:

For the convenience of your employer, and

Required as a condition of your employment.

That sounds like quite a few of us, doesn’t it? AllFinancialMatters has loads more info, check it out and see if you qualify for this deduction.

How to Deduct Your Cell Phone
[AllFinancialMatters]

Comments

1. acambras says:

I wonder how that would affect something like the iPhone, which is a cell phone plus much more (and much more expensive, of course).

Cute kitty, btw!

2. Dustbunny says:

I’m on ur phone, texting your friends.

3. Xkeeper says:

We need an Official Consumerist Kitty, since it’s obvious this will never end… =P

Regardless, also note “required as a condition of employment.” I’m not so sure most people meet this, unless it really does require you to have one.

Though for something like laptops, that’d be nice. As long as you need some form of computer equipment for the job you do, you’re set.

4. SexCpotatoes says:

I’m sure you have to be able to itemize in the first place.

5. pippa601 says:

Better make sure that kitten’s not overextending your minutes….

So adorable, but my cats know that I get really cranky when Verizon charges me for their phone calls….

6. Saeculorum says:

Wait. I must be missing something here. Why in the world would anyone pay out of their own pocket for a cell phone that is used only for their employer’s needs? If I were ever required to have a cell phone, there’s no way I’m going to be paying for it.

7. etinterrapax says:

I imagine that if your employer relies on it to contact you, you could argue that not having it would cause you to lose your job. We take this deduction. My husband travels by car for work every day and conducts a great deal of business en route. His office didn’t supply him with the cell phone, but his job would be impossible without it. We pay for it and deduct it and the associated expenses as business.

8. spinachdip says:

Saeculorum – some of us are freelancers.

9. acambras says:

I’m in ur phone – readin ur txts

10. acambras says: