Kmart Automatic Door Fractures Woman’s Ribs

Automatic doors in one West Virginia Kmart went haywire, attacking a customer.

“Margaret Chrislip was visiting the store Feb. 23, 2006, when the automatic doors she was going through malfunctioned, struck her and caused her to fall.” The door fractured her ribs, among other things. She’s suing for “compensatory damages from Kmart and Boley as well as pre- and post-judgment interest, attorney fees and further and general relief.”

Beware the doors. The doors are out to get us. —MEGHANN MARCO

Putnam woman says Kmart’s faulty doors injured her [West Virginia Record]

Comments

1. Kornkob says:

I know if I was forced to be an automatic door at KMart I’d be looking to crush every one of the meat sacks that tried to gain access.

How would you like to be enslaved at a dingy big box, breathing SUV fumes and listening to innane mobile phone conversations all day while being forced to open doors for the rude, huddled masses.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION DE LAS PUERTAS! ¡Muerte a las marionetas de la carne!

2. Keter says:

ROTFLOL, Kornkob!

Personally, I think that the sensor technology is fundamentally flawed. About 75% of the time, these motion sensor doors fail to open for me at all. I’ve actually had a few close on me as I was walking through, although each reopened when they encountered resistance and I wasn’t knocked down or injured (only annoyed).

I’ve literally had to wait to follow someone else into the store because the doors don’t detect me. Several of my friends have encountered the same thing…whatever those sensors are looking for, some people consistently just don’t show up. Bringing a cart in with you seems to help; I guess metal reflects whatever they’re sensing.

The old pressure pad doors were more failure-prone, but they failed safe…they just wouldn’t open at all.

3. timmus says:

A few days ago I pushed a shopping cart into the exit set of doors at a Wal-Mart, and the doors clamped tight on the shopping cart where I had to just abandon it. I was thinking to myself “holy crap, that could have been a person”.

4. Mariallena says:

That’s what you get for not thanking the door, like Rod and Tod Flanders.

5. acambras says:

So she’s suing for medical costs, pain and suffering, etc.

The article mentions nothing about the K-Mart Taint, though.

6. Antediluvian says:

Thank you for making a simple door very happy.

7. Antediluvian says:

Or maybe she sold her soul to Milhouse for $5?

8. Antediluvian says:

I always wave my hand in front of me as I approach a door to make sure it activates as soon as possible. I hate stopping mid-stride because the store opted to set a delay for when the door opens or sensitivity of the IR detector in a mis-guided attempt to prevent the speedy exits of shoplifters.

9. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

*inserts post about lazy Americans getting what they deserve*

BTW, this must be on video, correct? Seems like an open and shut case!

BA-DUM CHA!

10. HawkWolf says:

my mom has the door problem too. She has to wave or else the doors don’t see her. Sometimes, I walk into them because I’m in a hurry and assume the door will open and it doesn’t, there’s a delay, or it does it very slowly.

A lot of the time, I hate lawsuits. But this one seems okay. Those doors are supposed to be specifically designed not to hurt people.

I was going into a toronto subway car once, and the doors closed on my arms. Turns out actual humans close the doors, and the actual human didn’t see me right behind my friend and shut the door. It wasn’t obvious that the door would have let up on me either – I managed to yank my arms out but I got some scrapes on them. It definitely wasn’t like an elevator, which would have immediately reversed when those big black things hit.

There’s nothing l ike missing the second to last subway train, only to have to get onto the last subway train and miraculously reuinite with your friends somehow….

11. alicetheowl says:

Ah, another reason for my husband to be wary of the things.

He, too, is invisible to whatever sensor opens them. I am not. It’s one situation where I don’t mind “getting the door” for him.

12. GRCAMPBELL says:

I get the feeling this lady is as old as dirt. Not that the elderly deserve to have automatic doors close on them with a vengance. It might be payback for the farmer’s markets though.

13. acambras says:

I used to be afraid of automatic doors as a child — elevators, subways, grocery stores, etc.

I guess those fears weren’t quite as irrational as I thought…

14. etinterrapax says:

Oh, drat, everyone mentioned one of my favorite Simpsons already.

15. Somebody needs to do a study on these people who are invisible to automatic door technology. Maybe we can harness their power for evil.

16. Kat says:

Did the door itself fracture her ribs, or did they fracture when she fell? Yes, the door hit her, but it’s a bit different if her ribs broke when she fell (that would probably mean the doors didn’t hit her as hard as it sounds like.)