Cleaning To-Do Lists

We’re in a cleaning/organizing mood today, so we thought we’d link this story from Real Simple. It has lists of household chores broken down by when you should do them, day, week, season. Their lists are ok, we guess. (Launder the dust ruffle? Do we have one of those?) Anyway, it’s a helpful reference to maybe print out and give to the lazier members of the household. You know who you are. —MEGHANN MARCO

Cleaning To Do Lists [Real Simple]

Comments

1. mschlock says:

Mopping the floor takes five minutes?! Last time I did it, it took me a good hour and I was actually sore afterward.

2. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I think the essence of that article is this: Spend maximum effort to clean your house from top to bottom, once or twice a year. And in between those mega cleaning days, perform maintenance cleanings or touch up cleaning. If you follow a regular cleaning schedule, there’s less to clean and mopping the floor will really only take 5 minutes.

3. Xkeeper says:

And this has _____________ to do with Consumerist, again? Just curious.

I also think most of those tips could be upgraded in “time spent between doing them”… and some of them are just plain nutty. Seriously, “disinfect phone”? Uh.

This seems more like “Tips for Extreme Clean Freaks” more than anything.

4. Xkeeper says:

And yeah, I’m not sure what planet he lives on, but for just me, mopping the floor takes much longer than five minutes. It takes that long to set it up, much less actually mop anything.

I guess you need the Fancy High-Tech Super Swiffer Picker Upper™ to make it take the recommended amount of time?

5. MeOhMy says:

For some reason I always recall the spanish Mr. Clean in the dollar store being Senor Lavado.

Although perhaps that’s why it was in the dollar store. Senor Lavado washes but he doesn’t actually clean ;-)

6. Myron says:

I need some instruction on how to mop the bathroom floor in 2 minutes.

7. Demingite says:

I also thought many of those timings were wildly unrealistic, and, well a bit much. Disinfect the phone??

It reminds me of the seemingly common practice of recipe authors listing a similarly wildly unrealistic time for how long the dish should take to prepare. Like in the ingredients list are things like “1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped tomato” and the author/editor apparently does NOT count the peeling, seeding, and chopping in the calculation of the time the dish should take….as if peeling, seeding, and chopping a tomato would miraculously no require time. Even something as modest as chopped parsley takes time: You gotta wash it, stem it, get out a cutting board and knife, chop, and measure (and that’s not even counting washing the cutting board and other clean-up).

Mopping a floor usually requires:
    — Getting out a mop, a bucket or buckets, and cleaning fluid
    — Filling a bucket or sink with hot water and cleaning fluid
    — Wetting the mop
    — Running the mop on the floor
    — Periodically rinsing the mop
    — Perhaps rinsing the floor with clean water
    — Perhaps drying the floor in some fashion
    — Putting all the supplies away: mop, bucket(s), cleaning fluid.

Now I know there are shortcuts available, such a ready-mixed cleaning fluid that you squirt on floor, mop, and then just allow to dry. But even for that you still have to collect your supplies, and you probably should rinse dirt off of the mop somehow, and then put things away. That would still be very hard to accomplish in two minutes. An actual two minute mopping job would arguably not even be worth doing — you’d be more re-positioning, vs. removing, dirt…superstitious wishful thinking rather than actual cleaning.

8. acambras says:

It takes me two minutes to mop my kitchen, but that’s only about 40 square feet, with one of those Swiffer mops. And while it suits my purposes, I would say it does the world’s best mopping job (neither do I, for that matter).

9. etinterrapax says:

I was gonna say. Even Swiffering the floors takes more than two minutes in my world, and our place isn’t even that big. I vacuum frequently, but actually washing the floors has taken a low enough priority in my life that I was considering having a cleaning service just to wash the floors and clean the bathrooms. I suppose I should make more of an effort now that the baby’s crawling. But I do like to have a few minutes a day when I’m not cleaning, feeding, or cooking anything.

Disinfecting the phone, yeah, some study came out not so long ago that said that there are more germs on the household phones than on a toilet seat, and people wigged. Myself, I clean it if it looks like it needs it, but worrying about phone germs is too neurotic and abstract for me. I have an awesome immune system, and I didn’t get it by walking around with Lysol all the time.

10. I always disinfect my phone. As well as my remote controls. They can get grody.

But then again, I am a germ-o-phobe. And maybe I am anal, but I pretty much do everything on their lists already. Except cleaning the fridge. I only do that once a year, but spot clean as needed.

11. c-side says:

This is awesome. Approximate task durations allow me to work these cleaning tasks into my GTD schema!

12. I hired someone to do this. It’s worth the effort to pay her.

13. acambras says:

Just make sure you don’t confuse Don Limpio with Dirty Sanchez.

14. brilliantmistake says:

I’m still stuck on this

“Spray the entire shower and the curtain liner with shower mist after every use (15 seconds).”

What is “shower mist?” Is it some basic, essential cleaning product that I’ve managed to never hear about in 40 years of life? Or do they just mean you should rinse off the inside of the shower with water before exiting? Mystery product or poorly written?

15. Nygdan says:

I think that they mean, once you are set up, spend no more than 5 minutes mopping the floor,no more than wiping down the cabinets, and only once a week. Any more than that, and you aren’t doing it ‘real simple’. And note that they are still saying to swiffer the floor of the kitchen everyday, real quick, real light, for only two minutes. Any more than that, and you’re ‘overdoing it’ for this schedule.