Don’t Buy Pre-Marinated Meats

Like the noble Indian, the pork butcher uses every part of the meat piece to produce his cuts, and with a little creative cutting and arrangement, even the less than prime pieces can come out perfect.

To this end, we’ve uploaded a series of instructional videos produced by the “Ontario Pork Producers Marketing Board” on “value-added cutting.”

On sirloin:

“…by vacuum tumbling, you can expect a [weight] pick-up of anywhere from 10 to 20%. That means great money for your bottom line. In fact, you can expect in excess of 50% profit…”

This is why Frugal Foodie says to avoid buying pre-marinated meats, and, “Instead, make your marinade from scratch in five minutes, then put meat + marinade in a plastic bag in the fridge and let it soak up the flavor for as long as needed.”

Eight more videos inside…

BACKRIBS

LEG INSIDE

LEG OUTSIDE

LOIN ROAST

SHOULDER RIBS

SIDE RIBS

SIRLOIN

TENDERLOIN

SHOULDER BUTT

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. Sudonum says:

Thats more about butchering a pig than I’ve ever wanted to know. Except for the part about “vacuum tumbling” and 50% profit.

2. mfergel says:

I used to work as a butcher. I could tell you some things. However, the place I worked was actually pretty good compared to stories I’ve heard from other butchers, like pulling expired meat off the shelf, throwing it in the ground beef hopper and adding tomatos to put back in some red (something we didnt’ do).

3. homerjay says:

I watched only two of these and I really don’t see anything evil here. I mean, if people want to pay for pre-marinated meat, its their choice to pay more. Its not like its not obvious that you’re paying for marinade.

The big question I have is why did this guy have a sheet over the front of most of his microwave?

4. cooper says:

oh no, educational videos from a canadian pork group! we can’t let the canadians continue to educate their butchers on how to slice pork for nice presentation and “added value!”

seriously, consumerist? we understand that buying marinated meat is more expensive for a reason.

5. NeilMcD says:

Homer: the sheet was probably to cut down on reflections of the camera and TV lights.

6. MeOhMy says:

That glove has got to be NASTY!

PS – You can marinade meats in a similar way using your vacuum sealer. You DO have a vacuum sealer, don’t you?

7. aestheticity says:

Yeah… I aint got a vacuum tumbler. Seems to me it does a great job of marinading. I might just pay for that, along with the preparation. Man, am I hungry now.

8. peejaybee says:

For me, the problem with the vacuum tumbler isn’t that people are paying for marinade, as much as that they’re paying for a lot more marinade than they think they are. It’s as if you bought a 16-ounce steak and found a two-ounce pouch of water inside — that’s the 10-20 percent gain they’re talking about.

9. mmr says:

For a minute there I too was like WTF is a vacuum tumbler? Then I realized thats how the STORES make their money, not the buyer.

I didn’t know thats how they did this.

10. EllisWords says:

This seems like a good DIY type of a thing but, unless he’s cutting human chops there, I just don’t get why I should be alarmed by this. . . . .

11. Tom says:

In other news, most “premium cuts” contain a lot more fat–you know, the stuff that can kill ya–than cheaper cuts. Heavens ta Betsy!

12. mattarse says:

Isn’t it very common for business of all sorts to use small very “premium” additions to boost profit?
    $6 popcorn at theaters etc.
    I thought the article was going to be about adding plain water merely to boost weight, which would bother me, but if you want the store to marinade it for you, I’m not surprised that would cost an unreasonable price difference.