1 in 3 Fast Food Customers Will Avoid Taco Bell

USA Today is reporting a poll claiming, “36% of Taco Bell’s best customers — those who eat there once a month or even daily — say that after the recent illnesses, they now eat at Taco Bell less often, or not at all.”

Taco Bell President Greg Creed said Taco Bell did its own poll and, “94% of people who describe themselves as Taco Bell eaters have a “positive” view of the brand; 82% believe the food is “safe.” Creed says sales are improving.

“”This is a bigger issue than Taco Bell,” Creed says. It’s an ingredient issue, he says, and Taco Bell will seek better industry testing in the field, “before it comes to our restaurant.” The outbreak could have happened to anyone, he says. “It’s not like we did anything wrong.”

We’ll have the #2 with no lettuce, thanks. —MEGHANN MARCO

Taco Bell turns onto ‘recovery’ road [USA Today]

Comments

1. I was in a rush for lunch today and I saw one of those KFC/TB/LJS/ETC places and thought maybe I’ll find a grocery store that serves hot soup instead.

2. Michael says:

Who are the 18% who don’t believe the food is safe but eat there anyway?!

Perhaps low-paid Taco Bell employees who can’t afford to bring a lunch from home or leave the store to eat elsewhere?

3. Optimistic Prime says:

I’ve been avoiding Toxic Hell for almost ten years now. Not because the quality of their food, but their customer service is terrible. I can’t think of a restaurant that can screw up a simple order more often than them. I can’t think of a time I’ve ever gotten an order right from them, and I’ve tried. A Gordita sounds so good right now too, damn you and your incompetence! Damn you!!

4. Hawkins says:

“It’s not like we did anything wrong.”

— Taco Bell President Greg Creed

Your company, sir, served badly contaminated food, in a large number of locations, that made 71 people sick, two of them really sick (renal failure).

Worse, you STILL don’t know for sure how the contamination occurred: first you said it was green onions, but now you think maybe it was lettuce.

This qualifies as “wrong,” you jerk.

5. Youthier says:

I must have a positive view because I’m eating their tacos as I type this. Admittedly, I always skip the lettuce but I’ve never been much of a risk taker.

6. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I just ate at Taco Bell tonight, and I’m absolutely fi…..uh….ihh…arrrrrrghhhh….
    *fwump*

7. Josh R. says:

I like Taco Bell.

Statistically, the safest time to eat there is right now, now that it’s become public and everyone’s looking at Taco Bell with a magnifying glass.

It’s the same thing that says the safest time to fly is right after a crash.

8. Sheik says:

Grade C meat…Ill pass.

9. tspack says:

Taco Time tastes better anyway.

10. DutchFlat says:

Taco Bell? Jesus, give me a break. The “food” is garbage at its best. Really, pure crap. Some stale beef, wilted lettuce, a giant corn chip folded in half. Nothing at Taco Bell is good. Eat a taco at a real mexican restaurant, and see what you’re missing. Anyone who regularly eats at Taco Bell is a peasant with absolutely no taste whatsoever. Taco bell is probably the worst fast-food in the world. And now they are poisoning their customers. haute de cuisine. Chow down.