DIY Microwave Popcorn

Microwave popcorn costs too much damn money. But you like it. So what do you do? You make your own. DIY site Instructables has information on how you, yes even you, can make your own microwave popcorn for a fraction of the cost of store-bought crap. The ingredients are simple:

1/4 cup of popping corn (generally $0.99 for a pound bag. This is enough to make at least 50 bags of microwave corn)
2 Teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
To taste – popcorn salt (it has finer granules than table salt with the same taste)

And the following tools:

A stapler (if you’re afraid of the staples sparking, you can omit this.)
A teaspoon
A measuring cup
A brown paper bag
and
A microwave

Now just put the olive oil on the popcorn, toss in some salt, and you’re ready to microwave! Hooray! —MEGHANN MARCO

Microwave Popcorn, homemade easy and cheap [Instructables]

Comments

1. CMPalmer says:

I saw Alton Brown do this and I’ve tried it several times. It will work without the oil if you want to eat it out of the bag.

A piece of cellophane tape works as well as a stapler and if you don’t want to measure things, just cover the bottom of the lunch sized bag about one layer deep in popcorn. A 1/2″ slice of butter works wonders as well, but you have to dump it in a bowl unless you like holding a greasy bag. Of course, without the butter or oil, you might as well make hot air popcorn (although this is more fun).

2. fishfucerk says:
  3. infinitysnake says:

A microwave popper costs less than five bucks at target and is way less mess…

4. Falconfire says:

how so? you can make a bunch of these and then just throw away the bag when you make your buttery goodness. With a microwave popper you have to clean it out every single time.

5. I must thank them (‘them’ matches ‘we’ doesnt it?) for this story. I have been looking for an awesome gift for my hippy sister and after reading this article I have realized that I can now offer my patchouli loving sibling some organic microwavable popcorn. She is gonna love me for this. And no, this isnt sarcasm. I am actally glad that I found this bit of DIY inspiration.

6. Ran Kailie says:

Um you can just put some oil in a large pot on the stove and add the popcorn kernals, cover and cook on low-medium for a few, add butter and salt as desired.

A lot less messy.

7. Uurp says:

People used to do this all the time, before The Popcorn Cartel started mass-marketing their microwavable packaging back in the late ’70s.

8. Jim Kosmicki says:

What nobody seems to remember is that the first microwave popcorn was by Pillsbury and was frozen. My father worked at an ordinance factory in the late 60’s, so he knew what microwaves were, and my family had one very early in their consumer days. So I remember a lot of the early microwave products before they really got to mass-consumer status.

the frozen packaging was because of the oil — once they started using trans-fats to keep the oil solid at room temperature, it didn’t need to be frozen anymore. it’s a long time ago, but I remember my family feeling that at the time that the room temperature stuff didn’t taste as good.

9. Musician78 says:

Am I the only one who hates popcorn? The sheer smell of it turns my stomach.

10. infinitysnake says:

clean it out every single time.

I didn’t kinow a swipe with a paper towel was so difficult…

11. rouftop says:

Actually, if you’re really into low-fat, you can do what my wife and I do — omit the oil altogether. You can pour popcorn into a paper bag, fold it over twice, and microwave for 2.5 minutes or so, then dump into a bowl and season to taste. We use an olive oil spray bottle and a mix of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Tasty!

12. cdan says:

@Musician78: Yes. You are.