Replacement Apple Batteries Have Their Own Problems

The fun isn’t over for some Apple Powerbook G4 owners affected by the recent battery recall. Not only did some replacement batteries not power systems correctly, others don’t even fit flush with the laptops.

Reader PlaidRabbit got one of the ill-fitting batteries, and writes, “Even though I’m the biggest Mac fanboy on the planet, and they were very courteous and prompt about sending me a new replacement, it still sucks I have to fuck with replacing the battery…again. “

Whither thy vaunted quality control, Apple?

Comments

1. IsenMike says:

“Wherefore” means “why”

2. LafinJack says:

Stop sullying the story with facts!

3. EBW says:

I suspect you mean ‘whither’, meaning ‘to where’.

4. katieinshoes says:

Oh crap. I haven’t gotten my replacement battery yet. Any idea how widespread these problems are?

5. Ben Popken says:

Anyone worried about or wanting to check in on their replacement battery status should contact Apple Care.

6. Parrot says:

OMG! If any company were to send out 20,000 of any electronics piece, they’d have a few with issues too. I’m so tired of just a couple of people posting on the internet about something like this, and then people blieveing that means it’s happing with everyone. 99% of the time, only the people with problems are going to say something, not the people that had no issues whatsoever. There’s like a 13% defect rate on all new computers, I’d venture to guess there’s at least a 5% defect rate on these batteries too…

7. Plaid Rabbit says:

Parrot:

You’re saying that a little over 1 in 10 new computers are defective in some shape, way, or form?

Who do you buy from, and why haven’t they shot their quality control guy? 13% is a ridiculous fail rate, even with shoddily made plastic trinkets. 5% is pretty bad too…

Just to put it into prospective, that means that using the numbers from the Apple Q2 2006 conference call , you’d say that of the 1.12 million computers sold in that quarter, 145,600 of them were defective? Do you think nobody would notice something like that? Even at your ‘conservative’ estimate of 5%, that’s still 56,000 computers that are coming back, or over 200,000 a year, assuming sales figures stay constant.

There’s no way.

8. I’m so tired of just a couple of people posting on the internet about something like this, and then people blieveing that means it’s happing with everyone.

Dude, why are you here?

Besides, they specifically said “some” replacement batteries not “all” replacement batteries.

9. aixwiz says:

I contacted Apple to get a replacement battery since mine was one of the recalled units. They said it would take six to eight weeks for me to get the replacement; it took less than two. The battery fits and works perfectly (so did my old battery) and it’s lighter than the original.

It’s unfortunate that your battery didn’t fit properly. However, getting a replacement that doesn’t work or fit is something that happens to everyone at one time or another. I recently RMA’d a Seagate hard drive and the replacement they sent wouldn’t even spin-up. I had to wait for another month for a drive that worked after RMAing the defective replacement.

It helps to be patient (to an extent) when getting problems fixed; just realize that Apple isn’t picking on you personally.

10. bitplayer says:

I called signed up for my replacement battery in August and still haven’t gotten mine yet. Called AppleCare 2 weeks ago and got the two more weeks thing…

11. etinterrapax says:

Bitplayer, I signed up then also, and mine came a week ago. Shouldn’t be too much longer, I’m guessing.

The flush-fit issue is one of my few pet peeves about my laptop (I have a G4 iBook). The new battery fits more snugly than the old one did, but neither is perfect. Nevertheless, I’m not losing sleep over it. I have enough things in my life to raise my blood pressure; I’ll let this one go.

12. Sheik says:

The amount of batteries catching on fire was probably less than 13% of the ones sold, and that caused a recall.

13. Parrot says:

Plaid Rabbit:
    By defective, I meant in some way or another. It may be something as little as a door on the side of a desktop case not fitting completely right, a screen having a pixel or two out, a cable pin being bent, or a battery completely exploding. There’s many ways for electronics to be defective, defective doesn’t always mean “completely doesn’t work.” BTW- I’m sorry you’ve had an issue, and this was completely not a dig at you. Best of luck on getting this issue fixed quickly.

Rectilinear Propagation:
    I’m here because I think consumerist does a good job playing “Angry Parent” for the consumer, and I think that’s awesome. Also, the title of this article is “Replacement Apple Batteries Have Their Own Problems.” Not until the middle of the article does “some” come into play.

My big problem is sensationalism. “Whither thy vaunted quality control, Apple?” Customers and the media are nitpicking problems that companies have had for ages, and making them out to be huge issues. Not every single product that comes out of a company (not just apple) is going to be completely, absolutely perfect. People are just looking for the slightest problems, and blowing them completely out of proportion. Even Gizmodo itself thinks that users are getting a little too picky. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/apple-ipod-nano-

Once again, I’m sure Plaid Rabbit has a real issue, and sorry that he had such horrible luck. Best wishes go to him on getting his battery replaced quickly!

And, Consumerist, keep doing what you do, Baby!