Wacky Tobaccy

The cover of a 2002 anti-smoking pamphlet brought to you by your friends at the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. Besides the fact that no kids gather in ice-cream parlors anymore, where does the one above even exist? They must have had to open up the secret wing of the confectioner’s museum for the photo shoot.

Nice touch with the subtle racism–damn those negroids seducing our nation’s bonnie lasses with their devil smoke. Don’t think we can’t see you hiding those rolled cigarettes behind your back, boy.

Comments

1. jeblis says:

Was it published upside down too?

2. GrantGannon says:

Is consumerist going to replace my broken 19 in FP because I had to flip it upside down to see this photo…or will they pay the chiropractor bills for twisting my neck?

3. acambras says:

Hard to get a good look at it, since it’s upside down. Made me thing we were talking about the other kind of wacky-tobaccy…

4. RumorsDaily says:

Hmmm… something must be amiss with my monitor.

5. tekguru8 says:

Is the image above supposed to be upside down?

6. Jupiter Jones says:

What’s with the upside down image? Also, when I click the image I do not get a larger image, I get a non-scrollable copy of the post that cuts off the image a bit.

7. Is it supposed to be upside down?

8. Ben Popken says:

No, that was an error on my part. I’m an a loaner laptop today and it looked fine in the software program I was using. I’m happy to report I’ve downloaded a warez version of Photoshop CS and can now tell a picture to flip and it will stay that way.

9. timmus says:

Yeah, WTF with the ice creap parlor? You know what this picture reminds me of? That movie from, uh, 1985 or so, where the Russians had built a secret American-styled city to train their KGB operatives. I forget the name. But this is what it looks like it’s straight out of.

10. RandomHookup says:

Actually, I kinda liked it better upside down.

11. bambino says:

Since we dressed like that in 02….looks like ‘saved by the bell’ circa 96

12. Clare says:

2002? Are you sure you don’t mean 1992? Look at that Boyz II Men-style button down shirt and white jorts ensemble.

13. homerjay says:

That second paragraph is AWESOME, Ben.

14. Orthodork says:

Was this thing from the 80′s or something? Who the hell dresses like that now?

15. d0x says:

I think your site is getting a bit too popular to be mentioning your pirating photoshop, I hear the Adobe police are ruthless.

16. Ben Popken says:

I could hardly believe it myself but the pamphlet says copyright 2002.

17. JackieTreehorn says:

Clare, you posted the exact same joke I was in the process of writing, literally word for word. I was even contemplating a jorts reference. Spooky.

If the white girl’s jeans are pegged, I’m calling foul. Then it HAS to be ’92.

18. Yep says:

I said, “Me, the doc? A hood? A rock? Running around the street and robbin’ people on the block? Naaaah, that’s not my style, to crime I’m not related. As far as I’m concerned, I’m too sophisticated.”

19. I love the vest that broad is wearing. It’s very “I may be a lesbian, but I’m good friends with lots of guys.”

20. DeeJayQueue says:

the parlor looks like an annex on the “cafe de balzac” from late cosby show fame.

21. Pelagius says:

Ice cream parlor? I assumed it was an Irish Pub(tm) with a name like “Plenty O’Toole’s”.
    It would go well with their new anti-smoking slogan “I don’t know why I smoke, but I drink to get drunk…”

22. SecureLocation says:

There are dozens of subliminal messages in this photo. They all say the same thing: “GO BUY A PACK OF KOOLS. SMOKE THEM WITH YOUR FRIENDS. DO IT NOW!”

23. ADM says:

The official site is “under review” by RJR right now, but there’s more stuff from the booklet available here:

http://tinyurl.com/jz96r [google cache link]

The girl on the right in the calico shirt is featured in outdoor action shot. Looks like a trip to the aquarium is involved, too.

24. Also, I just noticed there are tubs of rock-candy-on-a-stick hanging out on the bar.

Candy rocks are a gateway to coke rocks, kids. Don’t be swayed.

25. timmus:

‘the experts’, 1989. complete with the underrated arye gross and 80′s hottie deborah foreman. also some douche by the name of travolta.

i apologize to all for knowing that.

26. John Stracke says:

Actually, that ice cream parlor looks like the retro one at the Smithsonian; maybe they took a picture there.

27. Ben Thoma says:

Isn’t that what everyone did before the latest re-run of “Saved by the Bell”?

28. Brianron says:

I had the same initial reaction as Pelagius: I thought this was a bar scene. Maybe it’s just me and my beer-corroded mind. Maybe it’s intentional. Still hilarious. Just like the “This is your mind on drugs” egg commercials — there is no way any kid would read this garbage and say, “Gee, I guess I better not.”

29. madderhatter says:

Good God, hilarious !

30. JackieTreehorn says:

I remember when Comedy Central first started, and all they would show were “The Experts” and “Back to School” all day long.

31. AcidReign says:

…..We don’t even have Baskin-Robbins anymore in my state. (Too many big legal judgements, they say. We’re the state who awarded a woman $50 million for spilling a hot cup of McDonalds coffee in her lap. Yay.)

…..There are a few Cold Stone Creameries, but most kids I know aren’t going to gather there and pay nearly $10 for a single scoop. You can get a crack rock for a lot less than that in Birmingham. And Fergie’s boyfriend she broke up with is still a major player for teen money around these parts!

32. LafinJack says:

No cheap (…well, cheap-ish) ice cream in Alabama? How can this be?

33. rednikki says:

Actually, that ice cream shop looks an awful lot like one in Philadelphia. The building first housed “More than Just Ice Cream”, and then went on to house “Two Sisters Ala Mode” (which, sadly, closed recently). Would be interesting to see if the photographer did his or her work in Philly.

34. Trai_Dep says:

I think this is a diabolical plot by the Tobacco Cos to sublimally tell kids, “Don’t smoke – be a dweeb.”

(and to the girls, “…and you’ll be a sorta chunky dweeb.”)

(and to the Deep South crackers, “…and even the GEEKIEST black guys will sleep with your girlfriend. You dweeb.”)

35. Nancy Sin says:

Photoshop some cigarettes in the hands of those kids and you’ll have the most effective anti-smoking ad known to man.

36. Chaoticfluffy says:

Am I the only one who read the headline on the pamphlet and thought, “Uhh…what is tobacco helping the kids say ‘no’ to?”

37. ten years from now, the guy on the left will be desperately peddling a dirty sanchez sex tape recorded without the knowledge of the girls on the right.